The Fabulous Fasters Group Fast April 2018

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well after steak mushrooms halloumi and a few squares of green and blacks 85% choc with a couple of teas I'm back up to 5.4 with ketones at 2.4. how quickly we can return to normal.. wonder what the FBG will be...

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Fascinated with this thread. I have had a Dexa scan as my GP thought I had lost too much weight. All it gave was bone density of both hip and leg and compared with normal population and same age population. Are there different types of Dexa scans?

I did go for about 22 hours fasting on Thursday maybe try a bit longer another time.
Join the clan for MAY . The more the merrier

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Here it goes. Had a very busy day very stressful. However I managed to keep the water fast going
Planning to breakfast lunchtime tomorrow with bacon and halloumi cheese fried in butter ( I have never tried it... if its good enough for Bulkbiker its good enough for me lol) . I may have a handful of nuts to break me in Macas/pecans fit the bill.

I have felt i have had enough of this fast. I accomplished what I wanted and got below 12 st which I know I will regain some of the weight once I start eating . Blood sugars where not brilliant today but considering the problems I had to deal with Im very happy. My pancreas has had a good sleep which is even more important.

Data is below. I intend to write up on this part of my diabetes adventure tomorrow sometime. I also have a rugby awards night to attend and we are having a hog roast I cant wait !!!!!!

Attachments

• blood-sugar-log.pdf
    41.3 KB · Views: 417

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh well... back to normal already
Weight this morning 208.8 pounds down from 216.2 at the start of the fast. Need to try and maintain that loss.
FBG 5.6 hey ho..
Ketones 2.6

Reactions: UserABC2021

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know about anyone else but I'd be really interested this thread going on for at least a week after everyone stops fasting, so we can all get a picture of what happens during and after a fast for various people.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Made it to 62 hrs and will stop soon. Final fasting was 3.9 and weight down to 73.2 kgs from 75.2 on Weds. Biggest bonus is waist to height ratio now under .5 which has been a bug bear for a long time. No ketone strips until postman comes so can't report that. Now I need to work out how to hold on to the progress.

Edit: Adam's post wasn't up when I started typing but that intrigues me too. I don't want this to be classic crash diet scenario #fastinggate

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know about anyone else but I'd be really interested this thread going on for at least a week after everyone stops fasting, so we can all get a picture of what happens during and after a fast for various people.
give me a nudge if I forget to post...

Last edited:

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Morning fellow starvoes'....

this am..
105.01 hrs fasting.....BFG 3.9
105.25 hrs fasting.....Keytones 5.00

At last my keytones bounced up, just when Im about to end my fast. I feel really good this morning after a weird day yesterday.

Thanks for all the posts from everyone it is actual a great help especially in those moments when you get the urge to have something to eat. However there is ~NO DOUBT the longer you/I fast the easier it gets. Hunger is a mental fight more than anything else, it passes. I did find that a hot shower in the evening helped me, felt fresh and renewed. What does it for you?

In relation to regaining the weight after a fast I have found about 0.7% of my weight loss I keep. So if I lose 10 pound I regain about 3/4. The rest seems to stay off. My body weight can also go up/down by 3-4 pounds on any given day depending how much Im eating. Im going to start some physical training regularly in the next week. Up to now its been a couple of walks a week which have kept me sane! Hitting some weight training is in the post.

Thanks for all the posts everyone has put up. Loved reading them

Reactions: shelley262

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Keto strips just came in the post so took final bg test and keto level. BG was 3.7 2 hrs after fasting test and ketones were 2.8. Diet Doctor says that is optimal for weight loss but your mileage may vary:) Ended fast with 28 gms of walnuts - l know how to live the high life!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Final average bg over the 61 hrs was 4.525 as opposed to average bg since March 9 of 5.29. Most significant effect seems to have been 2nd reading of the day i.e. IF non breakfast - drop of 1

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Final average bg over the 61 hrs was 4.525 as opposed to average bg since March 9 of 5.29. Most significant effect seems to have been 2nd reading of the day i.e. non IF breakfast - drop of 1
Wow that's quite a big difference..
Next time I might try and take readings at set times the week before the fast, the week of the fast and the week after.
Have to set lots of alarms!

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's quite a big difference..
Next time I might try and take readings at set times the week before the fast, the week of the fast and the week after.
Have to set lots of alarms!
I actually meant IF "non breakfast" but that has been my most stubborn issue to resolve so now I need to figure out a non fasting method. Hopefully, newly acquired Nordic Walking poles will play a part.

Last edited:
Reactions: rab5

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok well that was interesting..
Just had lunch out (mother's 92 birthday tomorrow so took her out for a treat).
I had a charcuterie plate with a few olives and some goose rillettes then a bunless burger with cheese and bacon.
Got home and measured BG 7.1!
How the hell did that happen...
Ketones still at 2.0 so can't have been too much carb. My previous highest this year had been a 6.7 when I was ill.
Maybe I'm about to come down with something but don't feel ill at all.
Spooky... just took another reading 30 minutes later and still at 7.0

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just gone back to check old figures and found that after my second seven day fast I had exactly the same thing happen... Obviously my body overreacts when given a chunk of food on the day after breaking a fast. Pancreas/liver must have gone to sleep and then get awoken with a bang!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just gone back to check old figures and found that after my second seven day fast I had exactly the same thing happen... Obviously my body overreacts when given a chunk of food on the day after breaking a fast. Pancreas/liver must have gone to sleep and then get awoken with a bang!

It's the last meal effect!!! I would expect that to happen after a period of not eating. You gave your pancreas a huge shock.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok well that was interesting..
Just had lunch out (mother's 92 birthday tomorrow so took her out for a treat).
I had a charcuterie plate with a few olives and some goose rillettes then a bunless burger with cheese and bacon.
Got home and measured BG 7.1!
How the hell did that happen...
Ketones still at 2.0 so can't have been too much carb. My previous highest this year had been a 6.7 when I was ill.
Maybe I'm about to come down with something but don't feel ill at all.
Spooky... just took another reading 30 minutes later and still at 7.0

Your event just explained mine.

I've been panicking as I had brunch and my BG hit 7.5 after 2 hours and was still 6.5 an hour later. Just tested at 1800 and it has come down to 5.9. I did worry that the long fast had caused some catastrophe, but your conversations with @Bluetit1802 have alleviated some of my worst fears.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Howdy Folks....

Ok so broke the fast after 110 hrs with Halloumi cheese chips in butter (first time and loved them) with italian cold meats and smoked cheese and macadamia nuts..3g carbs total

data as follows:

0901hrs BG: 3.9
0925hrs Ketones: 5.0
1400hrs Break Fast
1526hrs BG: 4.1
1652 hrs BG: 5.1
1815hrs BG: 4.6
1830 hrs Ketones 4.3

Im off out to a Hog Roast and no doubt overeat, I will try and stay off the carbs but I love apple sauce ha ha ha. Im happy with those figures and hopefully I can stay away from desert tonight.......

Chat later folks......