What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone on this thread who can answer 3 questions re training with weights please. 1) is low weight high rep ok for potential lumbar issues; 2) Is it right that low weight high reps is essentially moderate cardio? 3) Should I avoid squats and deadlifts? I would be doing the exercises sitting down on a multi station machine largely.
Thanks in anticipation :)

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 4.4 this morning,
well today started off being cold and windy this morning when I left the house, then the wind direction reversed and we've got a lovely sunny and warm afternoon so it a nice salad for tea ;) with lashings of spicy chicken breast, cheese and coleslaw :happy:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :) was 4.4 this morning,
well today started off being cold and windy this morning when I left the house, then the wind direction reversed and we've got a lovely sunny and warm afternoon so it a nice salad for tea ;) with lashings of spicy chicken breast, cheese and coleslaw :happy:
Sounds like a perfect evening meal and the fbg was **** jolly fine as well. You set some very high standards but I like a challenge.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone on this thread who can answer 3 questions re training with weights please. 1) is low weight high rep ok for potential lumbar issues; 2) Is it right that low weight high reps is essentially moderate cardio? 3) Should I avoid squats and deadlifts? I would be doing the exercises sitting down on a multi station machine largely.
Thanks in anticipation :)

No expert but using the machines should minimise risk and help you to take the weight off your back - would just avoid anything that uses those muscles. Heavier weights and fewer reps will be better for BG as they’ll increase strength and muscle mass more quickly and give the liver another outlet.

Plan to get back on the weights wagon myself tomorrow morning.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No expert but using the machines should minimise risk and help you to take the weight off your back - would just avoid anything that uses those muscles. Heavier weights and fewer reps will be better for BG as they’ll increase strength and muscle mass more quickly and give the liver another outlet.

Plan to get back on the weights wagon myself tomorrow morning.
Thanks @Goonergal I have an MRI scan on 16th so hope to know more after that. I don't want to cause more damage but I know muscle is important. Hope your weekend is relaxing and gets you back to normal.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Goonergal I have an MRI scan on 16th so hope to know more after that. I don't want to cause more damage but I know muscle is important. Hope your weekend is relaxing and gets you back to normal.

Thanks. Good luck with the MRI. Off to the women’s FA Cup Final tomorrow. At least one Arsenal team can play.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Evening all!!!!! Last night shift:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot: 4.9 when I dragged my fat bum out of bed. Eye still a twitchin' very entertaining trying to read!!!

Anyhoo, enjoy the bank holiday weekend everyone for I shall be!!!:clown: well, when I get up that is.

Take care everyone.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w Just looking at the keto rolls recipe from DD. The 5 tablespoons of psyllium husk powder seems loads - I add 1 tsp spoon to salads for fibre. Do these have "side effects?"

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w Just looking at the keto rolls recipe from DD. The 5 tablespoons of psyllium husk powder seems loads - I ad 1 tbl spoon for fibre. Do these have "side effects?"

Hi @ianpspurs,

Just got back from being out all day.

The basic recipe is 5 quarter cups of low-carb flour, 1 quarter cup of psyllium husks, seeds and spices to taste, one package of baking powder, about 2 teaspoons of salt, and about 1 and a half cups of boiling water (depending on the amount of seeds you add and the types of low-carb flour you use, some (such as chia flour) absorb more water). Then bake at 175 degrees centigrade for approx 1 and half hours, they are done when they sound hollow when tapping them.

No issues with gastrointestinal problems -- if that what you are refering too. The psyllium husks takes the role of gluten, making the dough elastic. Remember, the recipe is for somewhere from 6 to 8 rolls, so you won't have all the psyllium husk in one setting.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with the rolls. Let us know how they turn out.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs,

Just got back from being out all day.

The basic recipe is 5 quarter cups of low-carb flour, 1 quarter cup of psyllium husks, seeds and spices to taste, one package of baking powder, about 2 teaspoons of salt, and about 1 and a half cups of boiling water (depending on the amount of seeds you add and the types of low-carb flour you use, some (such as chia flour) absorb more water). Then bake at 175 degrees centigrade for approx 1 and half hours, they are done when they sound hollow when tapping them.

No issues with gastrointestinal problems -- if that what you are refering too. The psyllium husks takes the role of gluten, making the dough elastic. Remember, the recipe is for somewhere from 6 to 8 rolls, so you won't have all the psyllium husk in one setting.

Hope this helps.

Good luck with the rolls. Let us know how they turn out.
@ziggy_w You are amazing. First Bilkman now this recipe and reassuring me re psyllium.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for posting late. Long day and long week. Will also have to work this weekend, but hope that next week will be better.

Blood sugars this morning were 5.4.

@Glenmac -- So glad to hear that your husband is recovering. Once he is better, I am sure you will get back in the swing of things.
@ianpspurs -- re your earlier question. Yes, this is what I see too. Immediately after intensive exercise I see my blood sugars go up (usually mid 6s) and then they drop during the next one or two hours. However, lately I have observed that the drop is slower and not quite as low. Is this the effect of glucose sparing, I wonder? Btw, good luck with your MRI scan.
@Granny_grump_ -- Have a great holiday, relax and enjoy the sun. You have certainly earned this.
@ickihun -- hope you feel much better soon.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 Thanks for the concern. ATM I can't see any effect. I was more concerned when I was told they were considering CMT. Appt is May 16. Considering I started this process to see if a podiatrist could sort out my gait/walking technique in order to speed me up it is all interesting. Hoping something not too bad is found and fixed so I can stop dithering about and put in some proper hard yards. I think lifting more weights and core work will shift the dial on bg but I am very wary till they give me the all clear on my back. Anyhow, how are you now you are becoming hyperactive?

I think you are wise to be wary of overdoing the activity just yet. You have less than a fortnight to wait now and as you say, with any luck they will discover something easily fixed.

Have you founds weights/resistance exercise better than cardio type for bg?

As to your question, how am I now I am hyperactive? Aching and whacked!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you founds weights/resistance exercise better than cardio type for bg? As to your question, how am I now I am hyperactive? Aching and whacked!
@DJC3 I bought and used a weights machine way back in 2015 soon after dx as I read doing resistance and building muscle lowers bg. I think it worked, certainly I could lift or carry more working outside. Resistance training is good for me as a wrinkly anyhow, as we get sarcopenia. The aching and tiredness will pass but take it easy. I'm off for some light weights instead of bike today!
My fbg today was 4.5 and @ bedtime last night ketones were 2.4. Enjoy the sun and

Last edited:

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A wonderfully glorious morning, the sun is glowing again. Alas and alack my bg was high but I know why. I indulged at saucy, sunny Southend (have to be Sunny Hunny next time- we left too late) I ate ice cream(will never give this up, and a whole portion of chips, which I was sooo looking forward to - but u know what? There has been a sea change. After I ate them I thought “ I’m not gonna do that again” they were ok but I did not feel deep satisfaction and enjoyment- I just thought about all the carbs and damage the high bg would do. It’s amazing and awesome.. I am sure I won’t want them anymore. My bg was high today 7.9 but this is ok, it’s part of a reminder that that particular indulgence was not with this. I feel very positive about these results today - not all depressed like last week. Enjoy the sun- those who get it- and those who don’t, I hope u can find the positive in your weather or circumstances today.