What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I skipped breakfast as we had a busy start to the day.
Lunch was a salad from the salad cart at harvester followed by steak, mushroom and grilled tomato, I asked to swap the fries for broccoli but they had run out, so I went without, did eat the onion rings though, oops
This afternoon I treated myself to an Adonis bar as I sat in the sunshine with my book
This evening was a 2 egg omelette with cheese and some salami crisps

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am off to Oxford tomorrow for my annual get together with old college chums. We go to a different city each year and normally eat our weight in cake over 2 days. They know I’m not eating cake now but I’m sure there will be challenges. I don’t want them to feel awkward, or that they can’t have cake because I’m not.

Will post back here Wed night I expect.

Pop round to my house if you’re stuck for a low carb snack! I’m sure I can rustle you up something :happy:

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (2 tsp) washed down with a black coffee
Lunch: roast chicken, mixed veg, one tiny roast potato, 1/2 a small Yorkshire pudding and gravy thickened with ground flaxseed followed by sugar free jelly and cream.
Mid-afternoon: white chocolate PhD bar and black coffee.
Tea: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet at my ILs with one Jaffa cake.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am off to Oxford tomorrow for my annual get together with old college chums. They know I’m not eating cake now but I’m sure there will be challenges. I don’t want them to feel awkward, or that they can’t have cake because I’m not.

Will post back here Wed night I expect.
@DJC3 sorry to hear about your high fbg and mishap? with lunch. Not sure about my old self just a day's food I can reconcile to my ideals - except I didn't grow the veg and I am sure the pork was not rare breed free range! Anyhow, enjoy your reunion and any off piste eating can be made up for. If they are true friends, and I am sure they are, they will neither feel the need to forswear cake nor try to temp you. @Rachox have you tried thickening gravy with cauliflower? I have tried both and find cauliflower preferable - just give the stock and cauliflower a blast in nutri bullet.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ground flaxseed and cauliflower both interesting ways to thicken gravy, thank you @Rachox and @ianpspurs I have tried making it the traditional way but using coconut flour - don’t ever do this, it was revolting.

Reactions: ianpspurs

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @jayney27

@Rachox if you see 4 ladies of a certain age, in a cafe, guffawing loudly, one without a massive cake in front of her - that’ll be us.

I believe there’s a Hotel Chocolate in Oxford isn’t there? I need to stock up on the 100% buttons.
There is a Hotel Chocolat, in the new Westgate Shopping Centre. There’s a Prèt a Manger there too, my favourite coffee shop for a low carb lunch :hungry: There’s a Patisserie Valerie in the High Street if your friends want posh cakes, while you could ask for eggs royale with mushrooms in place of the brioche, they’ve done that for me several times without a fuss.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTE="ianpspurs, post: 1779886, @Rachox have you tried thickening gravy with cauliflower? I have tried both and find cauliflower preferable - just give the stock and cauliflower a blast in nutri bullet.[/QUOTE]

I like using Flaxseed to get my daily dose of seeds, my bowels thank me for it! :joyful::hilarious:

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox no problems, all good! I tend to use chia seeds and psyllium husk powder in my salads for seed intake and use flaxseeds in desserts and high fibre bars.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All good! I tend to use chia seeds and psyllium husk powder in my salads for seed intake and use flaxseeds in desserts and high fibre bars.
Yup, I have a daily dose of psyllium husk in my ‘porridge’ at breakfast and often have a chia pudding. I’ll have to try them in salads too.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a Hotel Chocolat, in the new Westgate Shopping Centre. There’s a Prèt a Manger there too, my favourite coffee shop for a low carb lunch :hungry: There’s a Patisserie Valerie in the High Street if your friends want posh cakes, while you could ask for eggs royale with mushrooms in place of the brioche, they’ve done that for me several times without a fuss.

Thanks for the tips, great idea about the eggs royale too. Patisserie Valerie is exactly the sort of place we tend to gravitate towards

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This image was copied from a foodie Facebook group. Who knew? Wasn't it you @Brunneria , who said SPAM is a keto-perfect food source?

32337109_10212029368702720_1765330278479298560_n.jpg

(Allegedly, there is a SPAM Museum somewhere in the US.)

Last edited:

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
I am in need of a darkened room and a bottle of vodka. Bed 7.5 FBG 7. BGs fine now but that's because grandsons are back home. No 1 was fine on his own but having got No 2 from his party to go to swimming the nightmare started. I'm frazzled.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Slice of Hovis lower carb Seeded with Philly and ox tongue.
L. Nothing
D. Chicken breast, lettuce , tomatoes, boiled egg, 1/2 avocado, coronation coleslaw, 2 Walnuts, mozzarella pearls.
Campari and Soda and a Prosecco - I need it!
Oh and a diet coke sadly not laced with vodka.
Kids do that to me, too. :arghh: And I'm a teacher. ;)

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
I have to say, for all the healthy eating yesterday, I was really bummed to wake up with a glucose reading of 137. Argh. All the more reason to stick to this regime...600-700 cal/day. Yesterday, I tipped over at 850, I think. Better than nothing. Here's how it's going so far...I must say, I missed the pita chips in the fatoush/Lebanese salad, but oh, well. I'm driven to change things more than I want the junky carbs. I'm seriously - for all my love of meat - thinking to ditch it for these 8 weeks and keep to tofu, nuts, and veganism. JUST to see what happens to my numbers. I've been doing Paleo modified for years.

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 12.01.18 PM.png

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to say, for all the healthy eating yesterday, I was really bummed to wake up with a glucose reading of 137. Argh. All the more reason to stick to this regime...600-700 cal/day. Yesterday, I tipped over at 850, I think. Better than nothing. Here's how it's going so far...I must say, I missed the pita chips in the fatoush/Lebanese salad, but oh, well. I'm driven to change things more than I want the junky carbs. I'm seriously - for all my love of meat - thinking to ditch it for these 8 weeks and keep to tofu, nuts, and veganism. JUST to see what happens to my numbers. I've been doing Paleo modified for years.

View attachment 26560

To be honest, in your shoes, I'd adopt one approach at a time - calorie restriction or kick the meat. If you fo both and see a change, how do you know what caused the change? That's just my view.

Reactions: maglil55