What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ziggy this is just dawning on me.
I’m visiting family at the moment and haven’t exercised in 3 days, my routine is completely thrown. Irritatingly my A1c is due as soon as I get home though.
@DJC3 In many ways a very similar situation to mine earlier so I fully sympathise. It is a proper dilemma which our baking/making experiments are designed to deal with. My A1C is due about the week of June 11th so I had more time to "recover" I did buy my son an exercise bike and scoped out local pay as you go gyms for future reference. Hopefully, you will be fine as you have already worked out the issues causing the rises.

Last edited:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Good morning all 5.4 for me today. I am not happy with that BUT 2 for days now I have slept to 8.20 which is very late for me and found well above trend fbg. I think this all means some mischief is occurring inside me sufficient to produce those side effects and not much else. As it is wet this morning and heavy thunder forecast for tomorrow it looks like a couple of days with plenty of fluid, box sets and accepting poor numbers. :arghh:
@ianpspurs I think 5.4 is a lovely number and I'm hoping to hit that soon. Numbers are all relative. Hope the weather, sleep and mischief all get better soon.

Reactions: flexi06

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I think 5.4 is a lovely number and I'm hoping to hit that soon. Numbers are all relative. Hope the weather, sleep and mischief all get better soon.
Thanks for the good wishes @SueJB. The 5.4 is fine if I have eaten or drunk something worth the concentration of glucose but fasting definitely fails to fit the criteria. I also agree that numbers are relative. You are a type 1 so I would imagine targets would be widely different. The weather is actually useful, do they not say "a dripping June puts everything in tune"?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
7:52am FBG 5.1, and that's perfectly fine, BUT the 12:40 pre prandial of 6.6 is not. I'm not worried as such, just very very puzzled, because I'd had nothing to eat in between those 2 readings. Only 3 mugs of tea with a tiny bit of cream. Same thing happened yesterday. I thought it was down to my forgotten meds (jardiance, victoza and metformin), but no.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
7:52am FBG 5.1, and that's perfectly fine, BUT the 12:40 pre prandial of 6.6 is not. I'm not worried as such, just very very puzzled, because I'd had nothing to eat in between those 2 readings. Only 3 mugs of tea with a tiny bit of cream. Same thing happened yesterday. I thought it was down to my forgotten meds (jardiance, victoza and metformin), but no.
Snap @briped I experience exactly the same issue with a rise between fasting and non breakfast 2 hrs later and I know some others see this rise to highest point of the day. It seems the only way to deal with this is acceptance and concentrating on the daily/weekly/monthly average.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Snap @briped It seems the only way to deal with this is acceptance and concentrating on the daily/weekly/monthly average.
It's so strange though, don't you think? I have no choice but to accept it, of course, but I wish I knew why. It doesn't make sense, if BG is supposed to be related to food intake, especially carbs.

Reactions: ziggy_w and flexi06

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It's so strange though, don't you think? I have no choice but to accept it, of course, but I wish I knew why. It doesn't make sense, if BG is supposed to be related to food intake, especially carbs.
@briped looking for sense is likely to prove very frustrating dealing with diabetes. I have a working hypothesis that something called the Randall Randle Cycle is at work here. Moderate exercise and some fat such as cream in tea or coffee can help the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: flexi06 and briped

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning everyone, the marking is finished and no more until the end of June so I can back on the exercise bike.
This is the 3rd day madam has woken with 5.9. I'm hoping that more exercise like @flexi06 and @DJC3 is going to have an impact as I've got no carbs to trim it's going to have to be protein frugality too.

Great stuff @SueJB , my numbers are starting to creep up again since I’ve got out of my exercise routine. I hadn’t realised what a difference it was making til I stopped.

Reactions: ziggy_w and flexi06

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
@briped looking for sense is likely to proven very frustrating dealing with diabetes. I have a working hypothesis that something called the Randall Cycle is at work here. Moderate exercise and some fat such as cream in tea or coffee can help the situation.

Thanks Ian, I'll look up the Randall Cycle. It might not make sense to me, but hey, what's new? :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not to worry, Google knew it, of course they did. A expected I'll need to read and re-read, but so far I'm not liking what I read :wideyed: Gut feeling, literally speaking.
@briped I took a simplified view of this as follows. By following LCHF and moving to Keto my body wants to burn fat and not carbohydrate. The carbohydrate circulates but muscles want to burn fat so carbs go nowhere but show up in tests. Moderate exercise mops the carbs up. Anyhow, that is my simplistic idea and my data seems to back this up but correlation is not causation and all that :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
@briped I took a simplified view of this as follows. By following LCHF and moving to Keto my body wants to burn fat and not carbohydrate. The carbohydrate circulates but muscles want to burn fat so carbs go nowhere but show up in tests. Moderate exercise mops the carbs up. Anyhow, that is my simplistic idea and my data seems to back this up but correlation is not causation and all that :)

You're a star, ian. Thanks. I was looking for a "Randle Cycle for dummies", so not such bad news after all, I gather. Shows I'm getting somewhere, right? I've been on very LC for almost a couple of months now.
Geez, so many long and unpronuncable words in those articles, and I even have "Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Weird and Preposterous Words", somewhere. I bet my endos don't even know ½ of them. :hilarious:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You're a star, ian. Thanks. I was looking for a "Randle Cycle for dummies", so not such bad news after all, I gather. Shows I'm getting somewhere, right? I've been on very LC for almost a couple of months now.
Geez, so many long and unpronuncable words in those articles, and I even have "Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Weird and Preposterous Words", somewhere. I bet my endos don't even know ½ of them. :hilarious:
Doesn't mean I am right but as Mick & the boys said Suck it and see - try the moderate exercise, small dose of fat, wait 1 hr then test route and see - unlikely to do harm especially if you test regularly.