"The Truth About Carbs"?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dr Unwin is not, I believe, a proponent of LCHF diet or keto. He is LC only as far as I know.

On Twitter he is, but he thinks talking about avoiding carbs due to them tuning into suger is a much better way of explaining it. His methods let a GP get results with a 10 minutes apointment, hence no time for explaining the science.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was impressed by the programme.

BBC... Can we have more documentaries on real experience?

I smiled throughout.

Maybe a follow up using more than 2 diabetics? Diabetics with very very bad insulin resistance? A programme which has been with them throughout their more than 2 week turn around.
2years would be more realistic. 6lb loss to patients with no other health problem and weigh average 2800lb would be 3lb or 4lb loss in 2wks.

These people, like me, need supporting longterm and given a longterm programme which does take years. A psychologist would explain it better than me, I'm sure.
Low carb eating isn't a quick fix nor irreversible.
You are only healthy that moment your eating right and once you're not it is very dangerous...... Higher bgs, blood pressure problems and may even cause MORE health problems.

The programme should have made that clear.

Reactions: briped

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
On Twitter he is, but he thinks talking about avoiding carbs due to them tuning into suger is a much better way of explaining it. His methods let a GP get results with a 10 minutes apointment, hence no time for explaining the science.
I guess not getting into trouble with nhs protocol too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Did they recommend ryebread? It may be slightly better than white bread, but still not good enough imho. I quit eating it a couple of months ago. I've attached a pic of the declaration on the ryebread currently in the fridge (my husband eats it). It's in Danish/Swedish, but should make sense :) ½ a slice is roughly 30g, and quite a small portion. My husband eats 2 slices for lunch, for example. View attachment 26920
I noticed he slipped in to watch out for those breads where sugar is added to disguise the bitterness.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoyed the programme too (despite shouting a little at the beginning lol) I have always rejected the idea of trying resistant starch. I am now going to experiment with it to try to lose weight by helping my gut. It's possible that my BGs will be slightly adversely affected but I need to weigh up the possible damage caused by higher BGs v the damage currently being caused by my serious obesity.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Last seen 1 year 12 weeks ago, so no longer browsing here it would seem.
I think like most.
They find a resolution which suits their needs and results.... Oh and expectations. Of course Not all GPs are diabetic which I don't think Dr urwin is... I'm not sure.
He may have taken the factual info and rolled with it. His experience is gained from his patients.... not us.
He twitters regularly so I follow him.

My GP recommended reduced fat milk and fruit smoothies to my 11yr old. He's a young gp too so more than up to date.

Last edited:

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
The programme was better than I expected it to be. I took the point that most non-diabetics could slip in a slice or two of decent bread into their meals each day, even if I can't.

I wish they had taken an average of the blood glucose readings before and after eating for the diabetics wearing the monitors, rather than using an Hba1c reading and saying "hey, you're much better!" as it would have given hope to anyone with diabetes still struggling with the Eatwell Plate and high readings.

Reactions: dbr10

lindisfel

Expert
It is an inevitable consequence of cutting out carbs that other macronutrients are increased.
Next comes the reversal of years of Ancel Keys poor science based diet that was used initially to support his suspect hypothesis.
D.

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think like most.
They find a resolution which suits their needs and results.... Oh and expectations. Of course Not all GPs are diabetic which I don't think Dr urwin is... I'm not sure.
He may have taken the factual info and rolled with it. His experience is gained from his patients.... not us.
He twitters regularly so I follow him.

My GP recommended reduced fat milk and fruit smoothies to my 11yr old. He's a young gp too so more than up to date.

Your GP recommended a low fat high fructose way? Making smoothies destroys most of the fibre, the fibre that was explained in the resistant starches segment of the programme. Children need good quality protein, some of which can be had from full fat milk.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Your GP recommended a low fat high fructose way? Making smoothies destroys most of the fibre, the fibre that was explained in the resistant starches segment of the programme. Children need good quality protein, some of which can be had from full fat milk.
I agree.
Sorry I got pulled away.. Kids still off on hols.
Yes. I told him I didn't agree with too much fruit but he told us that it's better than big white carby meals. My son should reduce his portions sizes if he is determined to eat 4 meals a day.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I agree.
Sorry I got pulled away.. Kids still off on hols.
Yes. I told him I didn't agree with too much fruit but he told us that it's better than big white carby meals. My son should reduce his portions sizes if he is determined to eat 4 meals a day.

So what changes are you going to make?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You reckon he's up to date with that appalling advice? Or was that irony?
Sorry. I got pulled away by a phone call and kids wanting.
I agree.
I questioned the sugary fruit and he wants my forever hungry carb eating son to change to smaller portions and more fruit and veg. GP knows he will get fed up with smoothies but may have reduced his stomach by then. Also my gp knows he's leptin resistant from trials and a risk of type2 because of me. So he's probables already IR. Maybe born that way as I wasn't on metformin, just 5yr old. He's a size adult 11uk shoe. He's got growth hormones alright. He's 5ft 3ins and taller than some seniors at his new senior school. And odd teacher.
Genes and carb eating but dieticians just weigh him and monitor. He's hungry.... all of the time. :( His dad won't restrict his foods as he feels he's too young to be given a restrictive diet and I ended up deficient and unable to fight bacteria. Sleeping alot due to deficiencies and more medication.
I guess not a great advert.
His dad doesn't want to make him ill, in anyway so he feels his strength and healthy body is OK as it is.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry. I got pulled away by a phone call and kids wanting.
I agree.
I questioned the sugary fruit and he wants my forever hungry carb eating son to change to smaller portions and more fruit and veg. GP knows he will get fed up with smoothies but may have reduced his stomach by then. Also my gp knows he's leptin resistant from trials and a risk of type2 because of me. So he's probables already IR. Maybe born that way as I wasn't on metformin, just 5yr old. He's a size adult 11uk shoe. He's got growth hormones alright. He's 5ft 3ins and taller than some seniors at his new senior school. And odd teacher.
Genes and carb eating but dieticians just weigh him and monitor. He's hungry.... all of the time. :( His dad won't restrict his foods as he feels he's too young to be given a restrictive diet and I ended up deficient and unable to fight bacteria. Sleeping alot due to deficiencies and more medication.
I guess not a great advert.
His dad doesn't want to make him ill, in anyway so he feels his strength and healthy body is OK as it is.
Sounds like he's a prime candidate for a low carb high fat diet then.. fat for satiety and low carb to fix his leptin resistance or maybe just let him be a kid for a few more years. Fruit is probably the last thing he needs.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is only in the last year or so that studies and hypotheses have arisen that seem to show that fructose is possibly not the benign inert substance that most nutritionists are taught. I am not aware that it has been significantly verified to be a significant risk factor for T2D, and so it remains a hypothesis for the time being. The hypothesis that smoothies destroy natural fibre and that eating fruit and veg whole is actually better for us is in a similar position, but seems to have more n=1 evidence behind it. It is reported in the media as being truth, but I don't think anyone has funded the necessary studies to prove it. The articles I have seen are from the fitness mags and bodybuilder advice that seems to be quite narrow in their approach to this topic. The ND diet started to explore the causes of fatty liver, but only as treating the symptom, Dr Jason Fung and others are supporters of the hypothesis so there is a growing movement to find the answers.
Here is an overview published in 2016
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5174139/

Edit to add:
This overview was presented to SACN and was used as evidence for Eatwell#2 guidelines. It contains the following statement
It has been known for at least 80 years that a low carbohydrate/high fat intake is associated with poorer glucose tolerance and insulin resistance [2]

Looking at Reference [2] it was published in 1935, but seems to be a major driving influence for SACN today

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It is only in the last year or so that studies and hypotheses have arisen that seem to show that fructose is possibly not the benign inert substance that most nutritionists are taught. I am not aware that it has been significantly verified to be a significant risk factor for T2D, and so it remains a hypothesis for the time being. The hypothesis that smoothies destroy natural fibre and that eating fruit and veg whole is actually better for us is in a similar position, but seems to have more n=1 evidence behind it. It is reported in the media as being truth, but I don't think anyone has funded the necessary studies to prove it. The articles I have seen are from the fitness mags and bodybuilder advice that seems to be quite narrow in their approach to this topic. The ND diet started to explore the causes of fatty liver, but only as treating the symptom, Dr Jason Fung and others are supporters of the hypothesis so there is a growing movement to find the answers.
Here is an overview published in 2016
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5174139/

To keep it simple (a must for my tired old brain) make a smoothie with four apples or more and drink it in seconds minus most of the fibre. This is going to hit the duodenum very quickly. Then sit and eat four apples at one sitting (who would do that?) with all of the fibre. The difference is quite clear to me.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sounds like he's a prime candidate for a low carb high fat diet then.. fat for satiety and low carb to fix his leptin resistance or maybe just let him be a kid for a few more years. Fruit is probably the last thing he needs.
He's slowly open to joining my low carb food eating and he isn't very active so we are working on his outdoor pursuits after school. Now finances have improved. His exams have taken priority but not now.