"The Truth About Carbs"?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Also, there seem to be a few studies where apples and pears are linked to weight loss and reduced risk of T2.

Always ask what someone had less of when they had more of the food being studied.

Also if you have apples, the older varieties tend not to be as sweet but have just as much fibre.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Always ask what someone had less of when they had more of the food being studied.

Do you mean that the benefits may not be due to the thing they were having more of, but due to having less of something else?

That's a fair point, but I don't think it changes the overall picture. For example, one could argue that just because people can thrive on high fat and low carbs doesn't mean that fat is in and of itself a great thing - it could mean that increasing fat is just a useful way of allowing people to reduce a bad thing (carbs).

I think a diet is best taken as a whole - a combination either works for an individual or it doesn't. I think one study I read where apples and pears were linked to weight loss was not an experiment where people were forced to eat them - it was a meta-study in which it seemed that people who ate apples and pears did very well with weight loss; there was no specific 'other food' which they consciously cut out, at least that was recorded.

MrTickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just watched the programme. Thought on the whole it was pretty useful, and hopefully will turn more people onto a low carb, or at least lower-carb lifestyle.

It wasn't without slight irritations though... The whole show, especially the assertion that this was a new thing, smacked of trying to drive book sales at some point a la Michael Moseley. I thought the messages between blood sugar control and gut health were a bit mixed up and could cause confusion (and I really didn't need to see the inside of his pulsing colon for several minutes!). I thought some bits were sound science but were mixed with fairly superficial theories, including the much heralded 'swish sports drink' segment - I've never particularly bought this theory, even when it was held up as a reason for diet drinks making you fat (your body expects the sugary drink and treats it as such despite not getting it)...it all seems a little too convenient and wouldn't explain people who drink diet drinks having no BG spike...not to mention the 'experiment' being flawed - the two bike rides were on different days and there are a million reasons why his performance may differ on those days, including of course the expectation that he may have more energy on one of them making the difference.

Suspect science aside, I thought it was well presented and snappy enough to hold casual viewers attention, no doubt will get a large number of people googling and the bit at the end about the advice being rolled out to GPs can only be a good thing.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Just watched the programme. Thought on the whole it was pretty useful, and hopefully will turn more people onto a low carb, or at least lower-carb lifestyle.

It wasn't without slight irritations though... The whole show, especially the assertion that this was a new thing, smacked of trying to drive book sales at some point a la Michael Moseley. I thought the messages between blood sugar control and gut health were a bit mixed up and could cause confusion (and I really didn't need to see the inside of his pulsing colon for several minutes!). I thought some bits were sound science but were mixed with fairly superficial theories, including the much heralded 'swish sports drink' segment - I've never particularly bought this theory, even when it was held up as a reason for diet drinks making you fat (your body expects the sugary drink and treats it as such despite not getting it)...it all seems a little too convenient and wouldn't explain people who drink diet drinks having no BG spike...not to mention the 'experiment' being flawed - the two bike rides were on different days and there are a million reasons why his performance may differ on those days, including of course the expectation that he may have more energy on one of them making the difference.

Suspect science aside, I thought it was well presented and snappy enough to hold casual viewers attention, no doubt will get a large number of people googling and the bit at the end about the advice being rolled out to GPs can only be a good thing.
Gut and type2 is very very much linked.
New preceedure being tested but not mentioned was scrapping of gut walls to encourage healthy gut bacteria and an aid for type2 remission.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(and I really didn't need to see the inside of his pulsing colon for several minutes!)

Lol, and feeling a bit queezy. I think that's the first time anyone's mentioned that in this thread.

Now that I think about it, that probably was the most novel bit of the show. On the one hand, I was repulsed, but on the other hand I couldn't take my eyes off it, and was glad I stuck with it because I can now say that, before I die, I know that a colon has a surprising structure. There aren't many biological structures that are triangular(ish) that I'm aware of. You could use that footage for a sci-fi film as the docking tube between two spaceships and have the actors walk along it.

Mostly I was impressed: if you are going to do science, you have to be a bit fearless and get over taboos. Within the confines of ethics of course (imho). The sight of Dr Xand casually talking about what he was seeing on the monitor while being ... interrogated ... gave me a lot of respect for him.

But I'd forgotten all about that scene till you mentioned it. Some things one's mind tries to forget...

Reactions: AloeSvea

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I tried the resistant starch thing yesterday with a slice of toast from frozen bread. This morning I find I have lost 2 pounds . Might have 2 slices today lol. ;););)

Yes, I know the weight loss is just a coincidence and is more due to the IF and low carbing but it is encouraging whatever the reason :)

No, I didn't check my FBG today. I was so tired I drank my cuppa and forgot the test. :facepalm:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
(and I really didn't need to see the inside of his pulsing colon for several minutes!).

I know that a colon has a surprising structure.

Which was described as looking like a Toblerone, and indeed it did. From now on every Toblerone I see on the shop shelf will take on a whole new meaning.

Reactions: mytype1.life

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gut and type2 is very very much linked.
New preceedure being tested but not mentioned was scrapping of gut walls to encourage healthy gut bacteria and an aid for type2 remission.
The other research into this topic has to be poo transplants. Serously!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Which was described as looking like a Toblerone, and indeed it did. From now on every Toblerone I see on the shop shelf will take on a whole new meaning.
That might stop you from being tempted to buy one! :)

Reactions: dbr10

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've checked "Watch this Thread" but only get a few updates, why?

I think it stops sending you updates if you don't go back to a thread after getting them. There can also be a delay in sending updates, so you can see a new post in "resent posts" before the update is send to your update list. The delay depends on how many people are watching a thread.

johnoo

I think it stops sending you updates if you don't go back to a thread after getting them. There can also be a delay in sending updates, so you can see a new post in "resent posts" before the update is send to your update list. The delay depends on how many people are watching a thread.
Thanks, that could be the reason.
Very helpful reply.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The other research into this topic has to be poo transplants. Serously!

I think it was the same team who made a documentary with Michael Moseley and that featured poo transplants and there was far worse endoscopic footage in that one.

I was hoping it would give me some scientific insight, but it turned out to be a big pile of c**p.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've never in all my three quarters of a century seen a pink, purple, pulsing Toblerone! I've obviously led a very sheltered life! :D

Robbity

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I knew there was a reason I never fancied a Toblerone!

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Because it was on the BBC, some members of my family might now actually believe what I've been telling them for two years!