Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

Kingmidas

- What is your name? Kate
- How old are you? 55
- Are you male or female? Female
- Which country are you from? Uk
- Which city/area do you live in? Bristol
- Are you religious? Not even remotely
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Kind and friendly but a bit prickly at times especially if I don't get enough time to myself (I am aware that's a lot more than 3!)
- Do you have any pets? Nope
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft ( but only because it's on my work laptop otherwise I don't think I'd care)
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Ugh - sport!
- Do you get angry easily? Sometimes, but I don't stay angry for long
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Ears pierced
- List your five favouritemusicians/bands. They change regularly!
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Judging by the fact that I listen to Kisstory all the time on the radio probably that - not that it's actually a genre but close enough.
- What is your favourite flag? I don't really have one but if I was forced to choose I'd say Cyprus because that's why I like to go on holiday
- Ever gone camping? No, unless caravans count ...
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? Yes frequently
- Which countries have you visited? Canada, Cyprus, France, Spain
- Favourite city? Probably my home City
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Like my favourite bands this changes all the time but I do love a good crime drama (like Line of Duty or Silent Witness)
- List your five favourite films. Again these change all the time, but I like a good disaster Movie
- Are you wealthy? No!
- Do you work? If so, as what? I'm a charity business coordinator and PA to the chief executive
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Again too many to mention - I don't want you to be here all day ;-)
- What do you like most about yourself? I have really good hair and I haven't gone grey yet
- What do you like least about yourself?. I'm overweight (and have been since I endured the menopause) but I am shrinking gradually!

Reactions: kitedoc

wildfirejc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Running
Hi everyone,
I am new here and initially was somewhat confused - I thought I joined a diabetes forum - then found this one and couldn't sign in - so from diabetes.org.uk to diabetes.co.uk...hello all,

Rgds,
Wildfirejc

Molts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Molts
- How old are you? 44
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Sussex
- Are you religious? RC - non practising
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Easy-going/mild-mannered/good humoured
- Do you have any pets? Nope
- Microsoft or Apple? Both!
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Hockey/Rugby
- Do you get angry easily? Nope
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? Negative
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Pink Floyd/Queen
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock? Anything with decent guitar!
- What is your favourite flag? British & Irish Lions emblem
- Ever gone camping? Yup
- Ever been in love? Yup
- Ever used fake tan? Nah
- Which countries have you visited? Lots!
- Favourite city? Boston, MA
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Homeland/GoT/Deep State/Sherlock/24
- List your five favourite films. Apocalypse Now/LOTR/Bourne/Star Wars/Bond
- Are you wealthy? I wish!
- Do you work? If so, as what? Hospital Manager
- List the subjects you study/have studied. BEng Materials Engineering
- What do you like most about yourself? My family :)
- What do you like least about yourself? My diabetes :grumpy:

Newly diagnosed T2D, HbA1c 91mmol/mol, 85kg 05/2018. Currently manage with diet/metformin
Update: 07/18 76kg. Low to moderate LCHF.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
hi my uncle is sick for a short time now with type 2 of diabetes can u tell me what kind of food or drinks he has to give up ? thnx for your understanding

Hello - is your uncle under the care of a doctor ? Also what medication is he taking ?

Cathylondon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm Cathy, 53 years old and diagnosed with Tyoe 1 last week. Had hardly any symptoms other than weight loss and dry mouth - but ended up in hospital with DKA. Back home now and learning a whole new skillset. Got great support from the diabetes team at my local hospital but finding it hard to manage the ups and downs - never sure if it's just me being over-thinking or blood sugar/insulin balance. Early days I guess. Its all quite scary, especially the idea of getting back to work, managing travel, worrying that I'm doing it all wrong and putting myself at risk again. Want to stay in charge of this and independent, but feel anxious all the time ... I'm sure it will pass! Anyway, enough wallowing, thanks for reading if you have!

Reactions: kitedoc and Diakat

Derbyshire Boy

- What is your name? Phil
- How old are you? 61
- Which city/area do you live in? Exeter area, but not from these parts originally.
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Intelligent. Stubborn. Grumpy
- Do you have any pets? Yep, four cats. One of which is indirectly responsible for me meeting my second wife.... but that's another story.:D
- Microsoft or Apple? Microsoft. Sadly.
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? None.
- Do you get angry easily? Oh yes!
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? A flying horse tattoo on my left upper arm
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Neil Young, Elvis Costello, early Stranglers, Brian Eno, The Fall.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Not just one, some of the better punk and the darker psychedelia
- What is your favourite flag? n/a
- Ever gone camping? Yes! Arrgghh!
- Ever been in love? Yes. More than once. I married the woman I fell in love with but she left this planet just over ten years ago...
- Ever used fake tan? No. I have dark auburn hair. A fake tan would look stupid.
- Which countries have you visited? Tunisia, Portugal, Ireland, France, Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic, Turkey
- Favourite city? A toss up between Budapest and Scarborough!
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Dr Who, All the Star Trek iterations, Fawlty Towers, Father Ted, any good science, history, social history or political documentary.
- List your five favourite films. White Heat, Withnail & I, Dr. Strangelove, Death Of Stalin, Anything by Laurel & Hardy.
- Are you wealthy? I wish!
- Do you work? If so, as what? Worked for the NHS for nearly 33 years, but now retired and do volunteer work for my local hospice charity
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Medical Physics, Psychology, Hypnotherapy,
- What do you like most about yourself? Intelligence.
- What do you like least about yourself? Tendency to comfort eat. Which is what got me here, I suppose.:angelic:

Zahed Babu

Hi , I have been diagnosed type 2 (6.9 sugar level ) recently and put in Metformin , I have lost 6 kg weight in 6 weeks which put me in worry ! I am not over weight anyway . If I loose like that what will happen in 6 months ? I am loosing weight since I have diagnosed diabetes . I have control food but eating enough good food . Do you think it will be settled soon ? Please let me know if anyone have experienced like my situation. Thank you so much

Leaden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food
Hi, I'm Charlie and I'm new to the site. I have T2 and have had since 2010.. It lives with me I don't live with it. If it doesn't like the way I live then it picked the wrong person.
My cholesterol is below 3. I'm 6' 2" and 20 stone. I did lose weight but didn't feel comfortable or like it so I went back to what I am now.
My HbA1c in 2016 was 97. I had my first hypo this year on my birthday of all days. I had 15 in that week. My latest HbA1c is 49. I eat what I want when I want & I drink what I want when I want.

Include a photo here if you wish to.

- What is your name?
I'm Charlie

- How old are you?
Old enough to know better but young enough to still do it anyway. 56

- Are you male or female?
Male

- Which country are you from?
UK

- Which city/area do you live in?
I'm originally from Liverpool but moved to Wales 30 years ago. The best move I ever made.
I currently live in Beddau,

- Are you religious?
I'm proud to say that I am a complete atheist in every sense of the word. I don't believe in God, The Devil, Heaven or Hell.
I respect everybody's right to have a faith and a belief, if it brings you comfort that's great.

- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Loyal, Honest, Introverted

- Do you have any pets?
I have kids, does that count? Nah I have a dog Freya, 2 year old German Shepherd/ Border Collie Cross. Mad as a box of frogs and a real daddy's girl.

- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft, but do know Apple and Linux

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
I used to play golf to a high standard (4 handicap) I still fish.

- Do you get angry easily?
I'm pretty laid back and mellow most of the time, but I do have an angry bone.

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
Pierced left ear.

- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Pink Floyd, ELO, Rush, Lynyrd Skynyrd & Santana

- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Rock, Metal

- What is your favourite flag?
Don't have one.

- Ever gone camping?
Yes, many times.

- Ever been in love?
I have and I am.

- Ever used fake tan?
No

- Which countries have you visited?
Spain, France, Gran Canaria, Ireland, Scotland, Czech Republic,

- Favourite city?
I don't like cities but if I had to pick one it would be Prague.

- List your five favourite TV programmes.
I don't watch tv

- List your five favourite films.
Face Off, Grease, ConAir, Blazing Saddles, Monty Python and The Holy Grail

- Are you wealthy?
No, I'm skint

- Do you work? If so, as what?
I run my own computer repair business and I'm a freelance photographer.

- List the subjects you study/have studied.
English, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Astro Physics & Planetry Science, Photography

- What do you like most about yourself?
Not a lot

- What do you like least about yourself?
Depression and getting old

Last edited:

sensis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I am Lesley am new to the site and recently diagnosed as type 1 diabetic confusion still reigning!!
Especially where weight concerned thought it was incredible just before I was diagnosed as lost almost 2 stone, thought it was down to cutting wheat and dairy out of diet alas it was DKA!!! So confused re weight loss for type 1 obviously low carb and seems to be more information around for type 2s no offence. I know we are the minority and I know they keep saying healthy eating, been on DAFNE course and it was good but it seemed people ate what they wanted and gave insulin to counteract whatever they had eaten. Carb counting has taken over my life and even a meal out seems stressful at times should I have a starter or just a main course, where am I going to find the right amount of carbs for this dish??? Its a minefield so any help greatly appreciated anyway here goes:
- What is your name?
Lesley
- How old are you?
You never ask a lady her age!!! but 51 yrs young
- Are you male or female?
Female
- Which country are you from?
UK
- Which city/area do you live in?
Yorkshire, Gods own country
- Are you religious?
Nope
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
caring, intelligent (when my BG not all over shop) witty or so my friends tell me
- Do you have any pets?
Huskita named Archie
- Microsoft or Apple?
Apple
none now both knees gone due to too much sport in early years, or thats what I blame it on
- Do you get angry easily?
Not really
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
only ears pierced not very daring
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
The Jam
Paloma Faith
Madness
Killers
The Smiths
(prefer the old stuff)
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
I like many genres
- What is your favourite flag?
At the moment England.
- Ever gone camping?
yes DISASTER, never again
- Ever been in love?
Yes and still am met my husband when I was 17 and still tolerating each other
- Ever used fake tan?
Errrr yup tantastic!
- Which countries have you visited?
Spain
Germany
Switzerland
Dominican
Greece
Turkey
Norway
Sweden
Italy
Ireland
Scotland
Egypt
Cyprus
Think thats it
- Favourite city?
Florence
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Peaky Blinders
Friends
Phoenix Nights
Max n Paddy
any crime dramas love a bit of gore
- List your five favourite films.
Usual suspects
Gone with the wind
Matrix
White chicks
any psychological thriller
- Are you wealthy?
Hahhhahahahahhahah not since having to stop work due to my body almost shutting down over a year ago, can I trade mine for a newer model???
- Do you work? If so, as what?
was ANP now stay at home
Health up to MSC, ahahahah much use that did me
Yoga

- What do you like most about yourself?
my sense of humour and optimism, Im a glass half full person
- What do you like least about yourself?
my critical side and that no one can do a job as well as me causes more arguments!!!

That was harder than I thought

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

TonySleigh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery, Wine bars, snazzy restaurants,
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Tony
- How old are you? 52
- Which city/area do you live in? Shrewsbury
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Fun, Joker, horizontal
- Do you have any pets? House spider
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple (Pink Lady)
- Do you get angry easily? No
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? On my upper arms
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Stereophonics, Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters, Nickelback, The Police
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Reggae.... (rock)
- What is your favourite flag? English of course
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? Oh Noooooo
- Which countries have you visited? All of them.........in the UK
- Favourite city? Paris
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Car SOS, The Chase, Grand Designs, Harry Hills TV Burp, Ninja Warrior UK
- List your five favourite films. Life, Taken, Autopsy of Jane Dow, Leon, Promethius
- Are you wealthy? I WISH.. Offers accepted
- Do you work? If so, as what? School Site Manager
- What do you like most about yourself? Independent
- What do you like least about yourself? My Type 1 diabetes

Have fun!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Shrewsbury or Shroesbury??? That is the question. Welcome Tony.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello guys,
my name is Fabian from Germany diagnosed with type 1.
I've read many Threads for years. You have such a great community that i signed in today
Welcome to the forum. Always good to get more T1's on the forum.
Look forward to you posting with us.

Helen Roberts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Foodwise, - porridge
Peoplewise, - insincerity, disloyalty,
Hi there. My name is Helen and I’m 58, living in Ely in the beautiful county of Cambridgeshire.
I’m Type 2, and have been for about 9 years or so.
I’ve 2 cats and my hobbies are cooking (unfortunately), and gardening.
I’m a holistic massage therapist, so I try to live my life with a holistic and natural way as much as I can.
Some of my favourite bands are Coldplay, Mumford and Sons, Elbow, Status Quo and Meat Loaf, but I like a varied range.
Main food dislikes are spinach and porridge.
I’m looking forward to getting to know you all and picking up tips to help this journey to manage this disease.
Have a wonderful Friday all.

Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi my uncle is sick for a short time now with type 2 of diabetes can u tell me what kind of food or drinks he has to give up ? thnx for your understanding
It is kind of you to want to help your uncle. IMO the best thing would be to suggest he buy a really good book by a well-respected journalist who herself is T2 and has survived to be over 70, which is a testimony to the value of her advice:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Your-Diabe...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1531489078&sr=1-1

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I'm Cathy, 53 years old and diagnosed with Tyoe 1 last week. Had hardly any symptoms other than weight loss and dry mouth - but ended up in hospital with DKA. Back home now and learning a whole new skillset. Got great support from the diabetes team at my local hospital but finding it hard to manage the ups and downs - never sure if it's just me being over-thinking or blood sugar/insulin balance. Early days I guess. Its all quite scary, especially the idea of getting back to work, managing travel, worrying that I'm doing it all wrong and putting myself at risk again. Want to stay in charge of this and independent, but feel anxious all the time ... I'm sure it will pass! Anyway, enough wallowing, thanks for reading if you have!
Hi @Cathylondon, Greetings from sun-burnt Australia, that place that to you makes me look upside down.
I think everyone facing a diagnosis of diabetes feels overwhelmed at first. The fact that you have a great health team is one of your bastions against the 'slings and arrows of outrageous fortune', having friends and other supports like your chemist, GP and fellow diabetics are your other foundations against the tide. I would suggest even throwing in your favourite superhero as an imaginary support person - after all we are all children at heart !!
Being conscientious is a two edged sword: it stands you in good stead to manage your balance of blood sugars.insulin, exercise etc but it can lead to worry and fear of making mistakes.
It is early days (like one week) so your body. like mine and other diabetics did, is going to need time to adjust, blood sugar-wise, vision-wise etc. Human pancreas glands have developed over thousands and thousands of years and suddenly one important automatic function of your pancreas gland, mine and others, decides to go MIA. We have to learn to take over the autopilot and fly this part of our body's function. No-one can do this ( and reach Olympic contention, if such a competition existed) without trial and error. And if it is any consolation I had this task at age 13, some 51 years ago. ( please do not attempt the maths, I do not feel that old!!) Advances in insulins, delivery devices, research etc make things better than in "the good, old days'.
Having support from my specialist, GP and my parents helped a great deal. Being a bit obsessive led to the "consummate trial and error process" about coping with school, sports days etc and later with study, work, relationships, week long canoe trips etc.
So did learning to plan ahead and anticipate problems like the possibility of being held up and lunch be delayed, running out of insulin, anticipating hypos (hypoglycaemia - low sugar in the blood) and ensuring I had glucose to take by mouth if needed. Use your conscientiousness to anticipate and allow for possible mistakes or glitches. That is a way to reduce worry and establish confidence. ( To be sure, to be sure has a wisdom about it !!
Self humour was and is a great way to dispel the fear and worry: Muggins here had injected a double dose of insulin because he forgot after the first one that he had already done so; But only once. Whilst the ice-cream 'required' to deal with the extra insulin was a treat, I learned to be careful and how to prevent it happening again so easily. ( 'punishment by ice-cream' highlights one boo-boo). And in a cartoon, a guy is being interviewed for a position in a training agency. And confidently says: " I believe one learns from one's mistakes and I make enough mistakes to train everyone here "
Read up and learn what you can. This website has great sections/forums (or fora) on many. many topics. Hypoglycaemia, exercise etc. Even after 51 years there is something to learn ( or maybe that is because I am stubborn, another two edged sword !!)
Be prepared to talk to someone about your feelings. Worry and stress do tend to put up blood sugars and you will no doubt learn how best to deal with these situations. Even an exciting movie can cause enough adrenaline release to up my BSL a bit. I have thought of rating movies according to their % increase in insulin required !!
Be kind to myself: criticising oneself is stressful and counterproductive. Self humour, discussion with health team and others, find things that you enjoy doing and are feasible (climbing Mt Everest is for show-offs, mad people how do not care for those supporting them).
Best Wishes, keep posting: Rome was not build in a day but the foundations for a continuing good life start on the first day.
There is no rest for the wicked but even less for the righteous.