Which coffee machine do you use ?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
We have had a number of different coffee makers over the decades, including paper filters and a very impressive glass Cona coffee system which was more like a chemical factory with all the bubbling.
See https://www.cona.co.uk/cona-products-dining.php for a really arty version. Ours (shown on the web site as the kitchen model) didn't have the stand but it was a lot of fun. Gone the way of all glass some time ago.

We also have a traditional Espresso machine for the cooker which is rarely used.

We always fancied an Espresso machine and bought one from Lidl a few years back.

However although the coffee was good it was such a faff to keep clean that we ended up giving it to charity because we were never using it.

We have cafetieres but the coffee doesn't seem that special.

Friends have pod machines but again they don't seem that special.

The fall back is instant - we have settled on Nescafe Gold Crema because that tastes best to us. Half awake in the morning, three spoonfuls and a big lump of butter topped up with cream. Mmmmm...

However my son was introduced to coffee snobbery and the Aeropress. http://www.aeropress.co.uk/. He bought me one and I must say I haven't tasted coffee as good from any other source. It doesn't seem to matter which type of coffee or supplier, everything tastes outstanding. It is just a bit more effort to make the first thing in the morning for the extra strong coffee with cream and butter.

So to all you machine users, I cannot recommend an Aeropress enough, although you may have your expectations unfairly raised for other coffee makers.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like ground coffee, and having owned a few different types of maker, the Gaggia Classic included, I'd have to say for simplicity a French press is best (with the right grind and the milk warmed up in the microwave) and for a smaller stronger cup, try using a stove top pot, often to be found in the local high street charity shops, and for latte try a Pyrex milk frother.

A lot of towns/cities have an artisan coffee roaster these days with prices not much dearer than named make instant coffee.

Reactions: shelley262

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find watering down the cream and giving it a whisk produces a really good flat white if you water it down less you get closer to a cappuccino as fat holds the bubbles!
Hi @shelley262 - just made one with my machine and watered-down cream. Success - a really good flat white!! Thank you for the tip. My weekends are complete! :happy:

Reactions: mushmonster

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @shelley262 - just made one with my machine and watered-down cream. Success - a really good flat white!! Thank you for the tip. My weekends are complete! :happy:
Brilliant pleased it worked for you I do drink black coffee at times but so much prefer a bit of cream and a bit of froth!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We have a pair of proper Italian stovetop moka pots - a little one for a single cup and a massive one that makes enough for the three of us. We use the Kirkland ground coffee from Costco in them, a 1.15kg tin costs less than a tenner and lasts us a month. And we drink an awful lot of coffee in our house! So it’s cheap, coffee shop quality, and doesn’t produce any plastic waste apart from the lid of the can which is recyclable. I drink it straight, my husband and fourteen year old like it with milk and agave nectar.

Mmmmmmmm..... coffee :hungry:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Nespresso I inherited from my dad. I like the coffee but its only ever luke warm. I don’t take my coffee super strong so I usually top up with boiling water from the kettle. Does anyone else find this? ( I know coffee isn’t meant to be made with boiling water, but surely hotter water than warm?)

I tend to use my trusty caffetiere (?spelling) with M&S Macmillan ground coffee most often

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
We have a pair of proper Italian stovetop moka pots - a little one for a single cup and a massive one that makes enough for the three of us. We use the Kirkland ground coffee from Costco in them, a 1.15kg tin costs less than a tenner and lasts us a month. And we drink an awful lot of coffee in our house! So it’s cheap, coffee shop quality, and doesn’t produce any plastic waste apart from the lid of the can which is recyclable. I drink it straight, my husband and fourteen year old like it with milk and agave nectar.

Mmmmmmmm..... coffee :hungry:
I suppose that this depends on individual model, age, condition etc. I have a two year old one and I find the coffee too hot immediately on making. Only needs 2 mins to cool enough. I do like it hot though. I have seen YouTube videos that suggest running a blast of water through first to warm up machine and cup. Never needed to, but admit on more than one occasion I have forgotten to insert the pod . No noticeable difference though for me. Does your m/c have two buttons? Espresso and lungo? The second is a 125cc or thereabouts cup. Also on mine it's adjustable apparently.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I normally use the Lidl Ristretto pods in my Nespresso machine, as I like the taste and they are relatively cheap. My local Lidl had no pods or space for them when I went yesterday. If they are not going to stock them I need to find a substitute, any suggestions for a strong and not too expensive alternative.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
.... any suggestions for a strong and not too expensive alternative.

I've tried a handful of alternative pods from various sources, supermarkets and online, but IMO no comparison, yet, to Nespresso. I buy their kazaar. It's a 12 in their measure, their strongest. Very enjoyable but 37p each. My only vice though, so 3 or 4 a day isn't too bad. I also like the recycling of Nespresso, but I would be prepared to experiment with personal recommendation.

Reactions: Speedbird

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those who say their coffee's a little cool? Can I suggest warming the milk in the microwave before adding it.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I used to have a Tassimo but gave it to my daughter as I prefer putting power in cup and having a frothy coffee

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Cafetiere and Cafe Direct's Rich Roast (strength 5). I like a big cup of strong, black coffee and Nespresso machines seem to produce coffee that isn't very warm. I also cannot face all those little pods although I think Nespresso may be introducing a recycling scheme?

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
...... I like a big cup of strong, black coffee and Nespresso machines seem to produce coffee that isn't very warm. I also cannot face all those little pods although I think Nespresso may be introducing a recycling scheme?

I have the new Nespresso Vertuo, which makes big mugfuls. It makes coffee at a temperature that I can drink straight away but my hubby says they aren’t hot enough. He now warms the mug and the milk and he says it’s fine that way.
Nespresso do do a recycling scheme for the capsules. It’s easy, they provide the bags free of charge, then you can either request collection when you order a delivery, you can take them to a boutique or send them via Collect + shops.

Reactions: streem26 and DJC3

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Thanks for the heads-up, Rachox. Good coffee plays a big part in my life!

Reactions: DJC3

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I bought my Delonghi Magnifica with grinder last year and and I love the coffee it makes.

It took me a while to get good beans and the right brand for my tastes and to not run too much water through but I never buy coffee anymore because I prefer my home ones(crema on top and all).

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
I did buy a tassmo but gave it to my daughter as I felt it was too much hassle but I use the sachet not the same but coffee.

streem26

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I use Nespresso machine,perfect for me
Planning to get a nespresso machine. Any recommendations?

I never had one, always wanted to get one. I had always hold back because it seems very expensive.

Well, I finally decided to pull the trigger and get one before 2019.

Where can I find the best deal? And which machine would you recommend? There seems to be so many models that I am all confused already https://cozzy.org/best-nespresso-machine/

Thanks.

Last edited: