What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The 3ltr one sounds perfect for me and my tiny flat/kitchen. May wait for that. I don’t own anything other than conventional pots and pans so will be a new experience.

I was nervous of the pressure cooker aspect of it at first, but there are so many safety features built into it.

You can also cook directly from frozen, which is great when one might have forgotten to get something out of the freezer. The number of times I've thrown in a brick hard chicken portion as a rescue dinner - 15 minutes, then a few minutes eitherr under the grill or in the oven to dry off the skin, although I sometimes just blow torch it or use the heat gun. That's really quick, if you want crispy skin over soft, moist meat.

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was nervous of the pressure cooker aspect of it at first, but there are so many safety features built into it.

You can also cook directly from frozen, which is great when one might have forgotten to get something out of the freezer. The number of times I've thrown in a brick hard chicken portion as a rescue dinner - 15 minutes, then a few minutes eitherr under the grill or in the oven to dry off the skin, although I sometimes just blow torch it or use the heat gun. That's really quick, if you want crispy skin over soft, moist meat.

Are you on commission?

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s so good when that happens! Took me quite a while to get used to picking up smaller things. You must be chuffed!
It’s lovely isn’t it? My partner saw the dress and offered to treat me, I automatically went to the size I was buying around April/may time, he had gone for the smaller size! Seems he knows best ;) it was an absolute bargain too, £100 dress, reduced to £49, when I tried it on there was a tiny mark on it, looked like foundation, so I asked if they would consider an extra discount, they took another 20% off and it turns out the dress had also been further reduced to £29 so we paid £23 :)

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s lovely isn’t it? My partner saw the dress and offered to treat me, I automatically went to the size I was buying around April/may time, he had gone for the smaller size! Seems he knows best ;) it was an absolute bargain too, £100 dress, reduced to £49, when I tried it on there was a tiny mark on it, looked like foundation, so I asked if they would consider an extra discount, they took another 20% off and it turns out the dress had also been further reduced to £29 so we paid £23 :)

What a result!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I’ve made the lemon zucchini cake this evening, it’s cooling now and smells heavenly.
Did you work out carbs per slice? ( thought it worth asking before I get my calculator and notepad out)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Lunch: roast chicken, one tiny roast potato, 1/2 a small Yorkshire pudding, cauliflower, broccoli and sweet corn and a dribble of gravy followed by SF jelly and cream.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and a black coffee.
Dinner: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet at the ILs followed by one Jaffa cake.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I’ve made the lemon zucchini cake this evening, it’s cooling now and smells heavenly.
Did you work out carbs per slice? ( thought it worth asking before I get my calculator and notepad out)
I am stopping in my way home to get the zucchini and have a go at this cake too

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am stopping in my way home to get the zucchini and have a go at this cake too

Jayney I had to cook it for longer than @Goonergal - probably 65-70 mins. All ovens are a bit different I guess.
I also separated and whisked the egg whites before adding them like @shelley262 suggests to give almond flour cakes a bit of lightness.
Ive just broken the end off and had a nibble - couldn’t resist!

Reactions: GrumpyOldPhart

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Jayney I had to cook it for longer than @Goonergal - probably 65-70 mins. All ovens are a bit different I guess.
I also separated and whisked the egg whites before adding them like @shelley262 suggests to give almond flour cakes a bit of lightness.
Ive just broken the end off and had a nibble - couldn’t resist!
Thank you, I will keep an eye on the cooker as it cooks, my oven is a Fan oven with 3D cooking feature so generally cooks slightly quicker than recipe states.

Reactions: DJC3

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all it’s technically Sunday but wanted to do quick round up before bed! Well done on 2nd cake @Goonergal shows great determination.
Breakfast one slice bacon, egg and a quarter of one piece of lo dough fried.
Lunch four LC seeded crispbreads with olive oil hummus and chicken liver pate and some celery
Mid pm choc olive oil cake and Greek yoghurt
Dinner starter hummus and crispbreads, main brisket done in slow cooker, cauliflower cheese, celeriac mash and broccoli with several glasses of red wine, pudding sf jelly and Greek yoghurt lovely evening with friends but much easier as at ours they had extra carbs including bread with starters, roast potatoes with main and tarte au citron in addition to other stuff. Great thing is that I didn’t feel different managed to avoid the carbs whilst really enjoying the evening.
Just had an afternoon at a funfair and drank diet drinks while others had all kinds. I had a large cod and mayo in well known fish restaurant thou. It was lovely. Batter and chips shared out.
Drinks, drinks and more drinks. It was sweltering.
Loads of on/off walking. :)
Unfortunately forgot metformin at home so relied on insulin only.
It was a military procedure just to get out of the house. Little one only started to get unnerved when his brother went on a ride himself. We had to wait for him which just didn't suit. A cry later and distraction, he had a blow up chick from Hook the Duck.
More drinks... again.

Reactions: Garway

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, I did. 10 slices works out to 2.5g carbs (was 2.6 before I tweaked the ingredients) per slice. Hope you’re seeing this in time!

@DJC3 and @jayney27 you might be interested in the tips for cooking with almond flour on this website (although it was them that suggested a lower temperature, which I raised back up on attempt 2).

http://www.paleopantry.org/article-replacing-flour-with-ground-almonds-in-baking-recipes/

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had an afternoon at a funfair and drank diet drinks while others had all kinds. I had a large cod and mayo in well known fish restaurant thou. It was lovely. Batter and chips shared out.
Drinks, drinks and more drinks. It was sweltering.
Loads of on/off walking. :)
Unfortunately forgot metformin at home so relied on insulin only.
It was a military procedure just to get out of the house. Little one only started to get unnerved when his brother went on a ride himself. We had to wait for him which just didn't suit. A cry later and distraction, he had a blow up chick from Hook the Duck.
More drinks... again.
Sounds like a good day out despite the heat and organisation needed! We’re just not used to dealing with proper summer are we?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I did. 10 slices works out to 2.5g carbs (was 2.6 before I tweaked the ingredients) per slice. Hope you’re seeing this in time!

@DJC3 and @jayney27 you might be interested in the tips for cooking with almond flour on this website (although it was them that suggested a lower temperature, which I raised back up on attempt 2).

http://www.paleopantry.org/article-replacing-flour-with-ground-almonds-in-baking-recipes/

Thanks for the link, very useful.
I broke the end of the cake off last night and estimated 2g carbs, so not far off, and it wasn’t a proper slice....

I still have 1 and 1/2 huge courgettes and 1 normal size

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sounds like a good day out despite the heat and organisation needed! We’re just not used to dealing with proper summer are we?
Are you drinking more too? Even overweight partner was drinking alot and at a period I got a little unnerved as he hasn't been tested for diabetes since adding weight on anti-depression tablets. Gulp! I've said nothing but if it continues I will. Noticing drinks on his side of bed for through the night. Mind u I know 5 other people who have a drink near their bed but don't have diabetes.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you drinking more too? Even overweight partner was drinking alot and at a period I got a little unnerved as he hasn't been tested for diabetes since adding weight on anti-depression tablets. Gulp! I've said nothing but if it continues I will. Noticing drinks on his side of bed for through the night. Mind u I know 5 other people who have a drink near their bed but don't have diabetes.
Drinking loads more and got cramp on sat night when had more alcohol than normally very dehydrated should have had a lot more water through evening and night. Think drinking a good third more in current weather