What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From Boots Website:
Peppermint flavour Rennies

"Ingredients
Active ingredients: Calcium Carbonate 680mg and Heavy Magnesium Carbonate 80mg.
Also contains: Sucrose and glucose (250mg) (Please see leaflet for more information)."

I checked the leaflet and can find nothing more about the ingredients. 250mg sounds like a lot to me. In the past, like @shelley262, I was consuming so many of these, I asked my GP to prescribe them for me. She was happy to do so, but it turned out that the ONLY one of the many versions of Rennies on sale that is not available on prescription is the sugar free one!!! Go figure!

"There is also a sugar free version:
Active ingredients
Calcium Carbonate 680 mg and Heavy Magnesium Carbonate 80 mg.
Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate 680 mg and Heavy Magnesium Carbonate 80 mg.

Other ingredients: Sorbitol (E420) (Please see leaflet for more information)."
I have just researched sorbitol and found that it does have some impact on bg. So no form of Rennies is totally harmless to diabetics. Fortunate that low carb eating greatly reduces the need for them! I found an article by our own David Mendosa on sweeteners where he says:

"Conclusion?
Dr. Atkins and the vendors of low-carb products are correct that not only fiber but also glycerin and polydextrose have little or no effect on blood glucose. The story with sugar alcohols, however, is different. One of the most commonly used sugar alcohols, maltitol and its syrups, does have a considerable effect on blood glucose. Two sugar alcohols, erythritol and mannitol, have no effect, and four others have some effect.

You need to check which sugar alcohols are used in any low-carb products you buy. Just like different carbohydrates affect blood glucose to different degrees, so too do some sugar alcohols. "

According to DM Sorbitol has a GI of 9 and a calorie content of 2.5 per gram.

You can read the whole article here: http://www.mendosa.com/netcarbs.htm

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to do a gammon joint in the slow cooker by filling the space around the joint with apple juice. Obviously wouldn’t do that now but I’ve heard people use Coke instead of Apple juice and wondered if you could use Diet Coke or diet lemonade maybe? The apple juice recipe made such a lovely moist meat

You absolutely can use diet coke with gammon. Obviously there's not the same option to reduce down to a syrupy sauce at the end, but I guess it sweetens the meat.

Personally, I'm less keep on the sweet stuff like that, but have seen it on the Keto IP form and the like.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol I’ve just done exactly the same and was about to post the link! Actually I remember my daughter making this a couple of years ago when she was on Slimming World - and it really was good.

My slow cooker tends to be retired for the summer too, but thinking about it, its ideal for summer hot meals as you bung everything in cold then just leave it - no need to be standing over the hob or be opening and shutting oven doors.
I think we will all be getting the slow cookers out now.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Noooooooooooooooo, @jayney27 - Everyone needs to subscribe to the cult of the Instant Pot and develop/convert even more recipes for me to snaffle!

The Instant Pot is a bit like a slow cooker, but super, super quick! Oh, and slow cooker, yoghurt maker, rice cooker, porridge maker and loads of other stuff, including very good egg bites and so on.

I love my cauldron. The best racks of baby back ribs, fall off the bone texture, in about half an hour.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Noooooooooooooooo, @jayney27 - Everyone needs to subscribe to the cult of the Instant Pot and develop/convert even more recipes for me to snaffle!

The Instant Pot is a bit like a slow cooker, but super, super quick! Oh, and slow cooker, yoghurt maker, rice cooker, porridge maker and loads of other stuff, including very good egg bites and so on.

I love my cauldron. The best racks of baby back ribs, fall off the bone texture, in about half an hour.
I have a multi cooker, think the advertising blurb refers to it as a 45 in 1 cooker, it can be used as a slow cooker but also makes a trillion other things to include yoghurt, jam, rice...............

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. OMAD day today. Just about got there - very hungry just before dinner.

Spent the day wandering around SE London on a mini photography project for my Dad. He has early stage Alzheimer’s and on a recent trip to London really perked up visiting old haunts, so I’m working on a compilation of former houses, workplaces, favourite places etc. Really enjoyed it - stuck to the more local places today, some further afield ones to come!

So to get back on topic, no breakfast or lunch. Dinner was pork belly with buttered, salted cabbage followed by a slice of yesterday’s lemon zucchini cake and extra thick Jersey cream. Dessert number 2 was half a portion of flourless chocolate lime cake, with a blob of cream. Very unexpectedly the zucchini cake is my favourite of the two. Pork belly was the best I’ve managed yet: managed to get crispy skin without over cooking the rest.

Remainder of both cakes to work tomorrow for colleagues.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all my indigestion from yesterday’s very late dinner carried on into morning and just not hungry so ended up doing OMAD by default
Dinner beef curry and a lo dough piece heated in frying pan - didn’t like it as much as my normal LC bread slice fried in coconut oil so that won’t be a regular
Planning sf jelly and fage 5% in a while and my first crop of two raspberries ! There will be a bumper crop by looks of it but not ripe yet just the odd one.
@Goonergal sounds like a good project and it’s great that you feel you can use one of your skills to help a family member.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
A photo memory book for your dad is a brilliant idea @Goonergal . Great fun to do I imagine and it’ll be lovely to look through it together.

@shelley262 hope the indigestion has finally gone. My raspberries were really early this year and have practically finished now sadly - found 4 this afternoon.

Breakfast today a courgette fritter warmed up with a poached egg on top. Lovely! Coffee and cream.

L: finally got round to trying the LoDough - made a wrap as suggested by @maglil55 with a small omelette, slice of ham and grated cheese then cooked it in the omelette pan. I was underwhelmed by it, like polystyrene I thought. Mind I’ve never really liked wraps so maybe I was on a loser to begin with. I will try a quiche tomorrow with the second one. Sf jelly and cream to follow.

Mid afternoon an unexplained energy slump, probably the weather or lack of coffee. Tried a decaff filter coffee with cream, it didn’t energise but thankfully didnt raise bg either.

D: roast chicken, buttered green beans, fried courgettes ( I still have 2 huge and 1 normal left) choc chia pud to follow.

Kingmidas

(Prediabetic and hoping to reverse it with low carb)

Breakfast - green yoghurt and strawberries with a tiny bit of honey

Lunch - lo dough 'wrap' with chicken salad, a sugar free jelly and two squares of dark chocolate

Dinner - steak, salad, avocado and I'm going to try a coconut flour, peanut butter and cocoa cake in a mug!

(Snack this afternoon handful of nuts and a few cranberries)

Kingmidas

Evening all.
A photo memory book for your dad is a brilliant idea @Goonergal . Great fun to do I imagine and it’ll be lovely to look through it together.

@shelley262 hope the indigestion has finally gone. My raspberries were really early this year and have practically finished now sadly - found 4 this afternoon.

Breakfast today a courgette fritter warmed up with a poached egg on top. Lovely! Coffee and cream.

L: finally got round to trying the LoDough - made a wrap as suggested by @maglil55 with a small omelette, slice of ham and grated cheese then cooked it in the omelette pan. I was underwhelmed by it, like polystyrene I thought. Mind I’ve never really liked wraps so maybe I was on a loser to begin with. I will try a quiche tomorrow with the second one. Sf jelly and cream to follow.

Mid afternoon an unexplained energy slump, probably the weather or lack of coffee. Tried a decaff filter coffee with cream, it didn’t energise but thankfully didnt raise bg either.

D: roast chicken, buttered green beans, fried courgettes ( I still have 2 huge and 1 normal left) choc chia pud to follow.
Lo dough is a weird substance but I can bear it for the ease of making a sandwich. It did make an acceptable pizza!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(Prediabetic and hoping to reverse it with low carb)

Breakfast - green yoghurt and strawberries with a tiny bit of honey

Lunch - lo dough 'wrap' with chicken salad, a sugar free jelly and two squares of dark chocolate

Dinner - steak, salad, avocado and I'm going to try a coconut flour, peanut butter and cocoa cake in a mug!

(Snack this afternoon handful of nuts and a few cranberries)

Do post your mug cake recipe - there are lots of cake lovers here, always looking for new ideas.

@ianpspurs is a mug cake in the same Devil’s spawn category as a cup cake?

Kingmidas

Do post your mug cake recipe - there are lots of cake lovers here, always looking for new ideas.

@ianpspurs is a mug cake in the same Devil’s spawn category as a cup cake?
I'll try it first and see if it works! I do have a sweet tooth and it's the only thing I struggle with. I'm not bothered about not having white bread, pasta, rice or potatoes but I'm prepared to look for nice dessert recipes!

Reactions: DJC3 and jayney27

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. OMAD day today. Just about got there - very hungry just before dinner.

Spent the day wandering around SE London on a mini photography project for my Dad. He has early stage Alzheimer’s and on a recent trip to London really perked up visiting old haunts, so I’m working on a compilation of former houses, workplaces, favourite places etc. Really enjoyed it - stuck to the more local places today, some further afield ones to come!

So to get back on topic, no breakfast or lunch. Dinner was pork belly with buttered, salted cabbage followed by a slice of yesterday’s lemon zucchini cake and extra thick Jersey cream. Dessert number 2 was half a portion of flourless chocolate lime cake, with a blob of cream. Very unexpectedly the zucchini cake is my favourite of the two. Pork belly was the best I’ve managed yet: managed to get crispy skin without over cooking the rest.

Remainder of both cakes to work tomorrow for colleagues.
Fantastic thing you are doing to help your dad, you could create a scrapbook filled with the photos and other memorabilia such as certificates, ticket stubs anything that can be used to prompt conversation.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. two rashers of bacon & one slice of Burgen (bacon from fruit fed pigs)
L. Low carb roll, ham, toms & olives. Small slice of LC cake.
D. Barnsley chop from a grass fed Shetland lamb, large mushroom cooked in butter and the last of last years runner beans. Few blueberries and Oppo ice cream.