Reversing diabetes with diet

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know a few people with fatty liver but no blood glucose problem.

There is some growing thought that NAFLD is something of the body's silent scream it is struggling in metabolic terms.

Dr David Unwin, when reviewing patients under his care, realised the NAFLD can preced T2 by some years. In my opinion NAFLD should be seen as a distinct warning to the individual that something needs to change.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Regarding fatty liver, the most common cause is alcohol abuse. Is there any link with alcohol abuse and onset of glucose intolerance?

Tannith

BANNED
Progress on Newcastle: I finished four plus months ago I have been following Prof Taylor's advice to eat 2/3 of what I ate before and that is not only working but I have actually lost a couple of pounds more. Today I bought some of those medium sized dinner plates that are about 2/3 the size of the standard size ones and hope they will help. Actually I suspect it would be better to intercept the food at an earlier stage. Say, get smaller saucepans and oven dishes so I cook less or even use a basket not a trolley in the supermarket so less food comes into the house in the first place. Or just think of the size of Meghan Markle's waist for inspiration. If she can do it anyone can!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

J19821

I really do not know about slowing metabolism - so I did a bit of research.

TBH I found quite a balance in research and theory. What I did find was that there was strong evidence of people who lost weight through a crash diet did slow their metabolism down - and the general hypothesis was that you burn muscle mass during a crash diet and of course muscle burns more calories than fat. So what you do want to do is lose fat when you diet and that is very difficult to control.

When I undertook my ND - I did lose some muscle mass - in the last couple of weeks of it - but what I tried to do was do more muscle exercise as I was aware of the danger and the outcomes of not keeping my muscle mass going. I still do more and more press ups every morning to try build muscle.

Overwhelmingly though - other than an impacted thyroid gland and a few medical conditions - putting weight back down after a diet was attributed to eating too many calories. And I would add the wrong kind of calories.

I can only talk for myself as I tried it - lost a ton of weight pretty quickly - 4 months on not really put much of it back on. Now starting to do exercise and I am certainly eating more now than I did before the diet and it is more or less the same macros as before but I know we are all different.

I’ve been trying the blood sugar diet but am unable to go below an average intake of 1100 calories. I’ve lost 4 kilos and my HBa1C is 5.3 now - am in the non diabetic range but Ultrasound test shows Grade 1 fatty liver and doctor advised I continue on half the medication. you suggest going on NCD instead?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been trying the blood sugar diet but am unable to go below an average intake of 1100 calories. I’ve lost 4 kilos and my HBa1C is 5.3 now - am in the non diabetic range but Ultrasound test shows Grade 1 fatty liver and doctor advised I continue on half the medication. you suggest going on NCD instead?[/QUOTE

Sorry for the late reply - I dont come here as often as I did once.
I dont know what Grade 1 fatty liver is. I was borderline fatty liver from a blood test.
I would always say to anyone give the ND a go. Usual disclaimer about individual circumstances and DR advice needs to be taken. It just burnt through the fat in my liver and went to almost none. Right at the other end of the range. And I feel great from doing the ND. So why not?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Tannith

BANNED
Why weight loss produces remission of type 2 diabetes in some patients
Date:
August 2, 2018
Source:
Cell Press
Summary:
A clinical trial recently showed that nearly half of individuals with type 2 diabetes achieved remission to a non-diabetic state after a weight-loss intervention delivered within six years of diagnosis. Now a new study eveals that this successful response to weight loss is associated with the early and sustained improvement in the functioning of pancreatic beta cells.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180802141722.htm
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/latest/2018/08/directstudy/

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that my metabolism was messed up way back when I was very muscular - I used to roadie for a folk duo and do all sorts of activities such as sailing, rowing, caving, walking in the hills and mountains with back pack and no support vehicle, cycling - so even though I had a 24 inch waist I was classes as overweight and put on low calorie diets, which had no effect as they were high carb.
I got instructions to go lower and lower calorie and began to go into a state of collapse rather than lose weight.
Once I found low carb eating I could lose weight, but I need to eat early and late, as if I fast I feel my energy drop after only a few hours. I suspect that the big differences between men and women on some diets is exaggerated by young women being pushed into disastrous diets often when still developing, even if their weight is not due to body fat but lean muscle.
Before dieting I could carry all the equipment for the PA system in three trips, and hoist a dead drunk folk singer off the ground and into the sidecar. The concept of the weaker sex has a lot to answer for.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Why weight loss produces remission of type 2 diabetes in some patients
Date:
August 2, 2018
Source:
Cell Press
Summary:
A clinical trial recently showed that nearly half of individuals with type 2 diabetes achieved remission to a non-diabetic state after a weight-loss intervention delivered within six years of diagnosis. Now a new study eveals that this successful response to weight loss is associated with the early and sustained improvement in the functioning of pancreatic beta cells.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180802141722.htm
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/press/articles/latest/2018/08/directstudy/
What point are you trying to make?

Tannith

BANNED
It's just the updated info from Newcastle - Aug 3rd 2018. Its says that they have further analysed the data and found that they had a much better success rate with those who had had t2 for a shorter period. So if you are thinking of trying it, its best to do so sooner rather than later. And its all caused by improvement in the health of the beta cells. Read the articles if you want to know more.

Tannith

BANNED
Another study showing that weight loss improves diabetes T2 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23451166
Importance of weight loss maintenance and risk prediction in the prevention of type 2 diabetes: analysis of European Diabetes Prevention Study RCT.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11333990
Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.
Each subject in the intervention group received individualized counseling aimed at reducing weight, total intake of fat, and intake of saturated fat and increasing intake of fiber and physical activity.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another study showing that weight loss improves diabetes T2 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23451166
Importance of weight loss maintenance and risk prediction in the prevention of type 2 diabetes: analysis of European Diabetes Prevention Study RCT.
Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.
Each subject in the intervention group received individualized counseling aimed at reducing weight, total intake of fat, and intake of saturated fat and increasing intake of fiber and physical activity.
I am not saying that weight loss, of itself, cannot help type 2 diabetes. I m saying that, for some of us, changing our diet is enough to help our diabetes, without significant weight loss.

For some, with their recent diagnosis and borderline type 2 , a reduction in all foods is enough.

I recommend, with the most respect, that you look past your black and white thinking, and look at the nuances and words people are using in their replies to you. The use of the words 'some' and 'perhaps' are good indicators that there is no blanket treatment.

Many of us didnt have the luxury of a diagnosis while still just over the borderline, or pre-diabetic. Speaking personally, even reducing my calories significantly didnt help my diabetes enough, nor did it help my weight. Changing the proportions of food types made a HUGE difference, while keeping the same reduced calorie level. I am not alone in this.

This is why diet is the wrong word. Its not only the calories, for many of us, its the foods those calories are in which make the difference.

Reactions: AloeSvea

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS increasing fibre may not mean increasing carbs. And the ones on a the weight reduction diet would have been eating fewer carbs than the other group. This proves nothing about dietary composition.

Reactions: zand

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My weightloss happened after my blood glucose normalized - it was an effect not the cause.
I am pretty certain that I had diabetes for a long long time, but low carbing kept it in check - but always always the pushing to eat carbs because they are healthy.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS increasing fibre may not mean increasing carbs. And the ones on a the weight reduction diet would have been eating fewer carbs than the other group. This proves nothing about dietary composition.
It was in a large font and bold so it must be right.