Blood Sugars with only Diet?

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are beetroot leaves not beetroot.
Does any one eat Buglar wheat. Low in carbs and good for diabetics?

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This sounds SO delicious. I used to love really good sourdough bread, and also made my own at one time. However I agree with @Resurgam, if you want to lower your bgs, perhaps the bread, and also the oats may have to go. The yoghurt would be lower carb if you strained it to take out the whey, which is high in carbs, leaving a sort of thick Greek yoghurt. Making it with full fat milk will be lowest carb.

I suggest you Google Metformin as you will find many articles praising its virtues. I have myself chosen to take the highest dose in the hopes of reducing insulin resistance and improving my bgs. It also seems to be protective against heart disease and even has been said to prolong life! It cannot replace a low carb diet, but perhaps it can supplement its good effects.

I was on metaformin 4 tablets a day and glicazide.
I stopped all these to give a try with low carbs.
If still doesn’t lower blood sugars in 3 more weeks I might need to take metaformin again in small doses.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on metaformin 4 tablets a day and glicazide.
I stopped all these to give a try with low carbs.
If still doesn’t lower blood sugars in 3 more weeks I might need to take metaformin again in small doses.
IMO lowering bg levels is very very important. I'm sure I don't need to remind you of the terrible consequences of continuing with high bgs over the long-term. To lower my bgs my first and most promising strategy is to lower the carbs in my diet. My second-line strategy is to take the maximum dose of Metformin (1g x 2 daily, extended dose, taken with meals to avoid digestive upset). Diet is potentially much more effective than Metformin, but still Metformin can help in many ways. It is not a choice between one and the other. We can benefit from both. I would never take a risky drug to help my diabetes, but Metformin has a very long history and is considered very safe as well as beneficial.

IMO the time to consider perhaps discontinuing Metformin is when one has achieved perfect bgs - which in my case, alas, will never happen.

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ive come come off my medication period!
I too am just watching my bgs with diet.
As need to loose a bitbof weight anyway.
My blood when came off medication started going up, especially after porridge or toast but now they are coming down.
I have one day off which is sunday were by i have no breakfast but i have a sunday roast and pudding and then i go for a stroll for an hour or so
By the time i get back my bgs are down into 6. Sometimes 8 mark.
Once the weight is off im pretty sure my bgs will normalize

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IMO lowering bg levels is very very important. I'm sure I don't need to remind you of the terrible consequences of continuing with high bgs over the long-term. To lower my bgs my first and most promising strategy is to lower the carbs in my diet. My second-line strategy is to take the maximum dose of Metformin (1g x 2 daily, extended dose, taken with meals to avoid digestive upset). Diet is potentially much more effective than Metformin, but still Metformin can help in many ways. It is not a choice between one and the other. We can benefit from both. I would never take a risky drug to help my diabetes, but Metformin has a very long history and is considered very safe as well as beneficial.

IMO the time to consider perhaps discontinuing Metformin is when one has achieved perfect bgs - which in my case, alas, will never happen.

Could you please let me know What is your highest blood sugars before and after meal? And normal average day sugar?

I checked last night before dinner 6.1 after dinner 7.9 and in morning 8.3.

I was thinking my morning blood sugar high could be due dawn effect as some others mentioned before.

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive come come off my medication period!
I too am just watching my bgs with diet.
As need to loose a bitbof weight anyway.
My blood when came off medication started going up, especially after porridge or toast but now they are coming down.
I have one day off which is sunday were by i have no breakfast but i have a sunday roast and pudding and then i go for a stroll for an hour or so
By the time i get back my bgs are down into 6. Sometimes 8 mark.
Once the weight is off im pretty sure my bgs will normalize
I have following this low carb diet since May. Lost 10 kilos. My BMI is 24 now.

For you to regulate blood sugars once off the medication how long it took. Could you please let me know what blood sugars you had at that time period?

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have following this low carb diet since May. Lost 10 kilos. My BMI is 24 now.

For you to regulate blood sugars once off the medication how long it took. Could you please let me know what blood sugars you had at that time period?
Ive only been on it for about 2.5 weeks
Ive had a 10lbs loss.
My bgs were about 11- 14mmol first thing in morning but now i have lost a little weight and have 1day off my bgs are down to 6 to 9.mmol in morning.
And my cholesterol has come down from 7.3 to 4.8
I have found(this is a guess) your bgs take a while to come down because your body is still carrying alot of sugar.

If i had porridge,weetabix or toast before diet my bgs 2 hours later woukd be 14-17mmol

Now it would be around 7- 10mmol

And within another 30mins my bgs are down 6mmol.

I personally eat carbs when im going to do something physical and i eat protein when im just sat down.

I had a bad day on Thursday and ate about 4 ginger nuts and after i had a headache

I am finding now that my body can handle little sugar but not what i use to eat.

And all this in 2.5 weeks however im still learning

Reactions: david1968

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you please post blood sugars who is controlling their Diabetes Type 2 on Diet with out medication.

My morning sugars are around 9 mmol/l.

By evening before meal it is going upto 6 mmol/l.

3 Months back my HB1AC is 48.

My liver tends to still dump in the mornings, so I'm commonly somewhere in the 5's, fasting. Before dinner I'm usually in the upper 3's, lower 4's, and after eating I'm in the upper 5's, lower sixes.

The bread and oats might not be doing you any favors, but to each their own eh. I'd try going without for a couple of days and see whether your numbers improve.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are beetroot leaves not beetroot.
Does any one eat Buglar wheat. Low in carbs and good for diabetics?
Bulgur wheat is not low in carbs, at about 60 percent it is off the scale for me.
How anyone can claim such foods are good for diabetics I do not know.
I am experimenting with bread as I do not need to be too concerned about the carb content of foods, though I try not to boast about it here on the forum - but due to my last batch being rather good, I put on weight very quickly and will need to reverse that before having another try.
I add milled seeds, psyllium flour and almond flour to my normal bread recipe to lower the carbs per loaf, plus making smaller loaves which do not rise as much as all flour bread, and take longer to cook at lower temperatures so as not to burn the seeds. I am building up upper body strength with the kneading.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My liver tends to still dump in the mornings, so I'm commonly somewhere in the 5's, fasting. Before dinner I'm usually in the upper 3's, lower 4's, and after eating I'm in the upper 5's, lower sixes.

The bread and oats might not be doing you any favors, but to each their own eh. I'd try going without for a couple of days and see whether your numbers improve.

JoKalsbeek what do you eat to be that low? I seem to have brilliant days of 4s and 5s and then the following day 6s and 7s. So confusing. Yesterday after breakfast if two boiled eggs it was 5.9 and 5.8 but today same breakfast it was 6.7 and 7.1!!! It’s driving me mad.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do fasting twice a week.

You may want to consider fasting in the evening. That is one of the most effective way to improve your morning fasting glucose reading. Skip 2 dinners in a row and I will be back at 5 mmol...

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was thinking my morning blood sugar high could be due dawn effect as some others mentioned before.

When it comes to the dawn phenomenon, Dr Jason Fung explains it best....
https://idmprogram.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/
Think about it this way. The Dawn Phenomenon is simply moving sugar from body stores (liver) into the blood. That’s it. If your body stores are filled to bursting, then you will expel as much of that sugar as possible. By itself it is neither good nor bad. It is simply a marker that your body has too much sugar. Solution? Simple. Either don’t put any sugar in (LCHF) or burn it off (Fasting). Even better? LCHF + IF.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
JoKalsbeek what do you eat to be that low? I seem to have brilliant days of 4s and 5s and then the following day 6s and 7s. So confusing. Yesterday after breakfast if two boiled eggs it was 5.9 and 5.8 but today same breakfast it was 6.7 and 7.1!!! It’s driving me mad.
If your metabolism is trying to get back into balance then what you describe is normal - I saw the same thing when getting back on track - though I found that eating a few gm of carbs with my first meal was a good idea, it keeps my BG fairly stable all day until I eat again in the evenings. We are not machines but complex organisms with many different systems all interlocked but with so many influencing factors, so it is really necessary to try various options and pick the one which seems to be the right one by the trend, not single results.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Upper 3's happen if I skip lunch, but all in all I eat rediculously low carb. The higher numbers in the morning may be due to dawn phenomenon: if I skip breakfast my liver keeps dumping, and I have seen numbers between 6 and 7 when it just wouldn't stop until I ate. (One sleepless night had me hitting 9, but I was admittedly ill then.) So you might have eaten the same thing, but if you, for instance, had a restless or sleepless night, your liver might've started dumping a little too fanatically. So the thing to look for is the difference between pre-and post meal, rather than fasting bloodsugars in the morning, because those really have little to do with what you eat. Odds are, when you hit 6's and 7's, you were already relatively high due to dawn phenomenon.

As for what I eat: 3 eggs with bacon and (goat) cheese for brekkie, lunch is a leafy greens salad with tuna, capers, mayo, avocado and olives, and in the evening meat or fish with cauliflower or broccoli, usually. More often than not I'm around or under 20 grams of carbs a day. I tried intermittent fasting, but it sadly didn't agree with me, so now I'm back to three meals a day.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Upper 3's happen if I skip lunch, but all in all I eat rediculously low carb. The higher numbers in the morning may be due to dawn phenomenon: if I skip breakfast my liver keeps dumping, and I have seen numbers between 6 and 7 when it just wouldn't stop until I ate. (One sleepless night had me hitting 9, but I was admittedly ill then.) So you might have eaten the same thing, but if you, for instance, had a restless or sleepless night, your liver might've started dumping a little too fanatically. So the thing to look for is the difference between pre-and post meal, rather than fasting bloodsugars in the morning, because those really have little to do with what you eat. Odds are, when you hit 6's and 7's, you were already relatively high due to dawn phenomenon.

As for what I eat: 3 eggs with bacon and (goat) cheese for brekkie, lunch is a leafy greens salad with tuna, capers, mayo, avocado and olives, and in the evening meat or fish with cauliflower or broccoli, usually. More often than not I'm around or under 20 grams of carbs a day. I tried intermittent fasting, but it sadly didn't agree with me, so now I'm back to three meals a day.

That sounds like what I eat without the goats cheese. Thanks

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To answer your question, many of us control our diabetes on diet alone. I am one of them.

My morning fasting averages around 5.2.
Before lunch and evening meal I am usually in the high 4s.
My post meal rises are all under 1.5mmol/l usually less than 1 mmol/l and sometinmes no rise at all.
I very rarely see a level at any time above 7, and that is when I have had more carbs than usual.
my figures are very similar to @Bluetit1802also i am on no metformin since late may this year

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am only diet controlled , but struggle to eat low enough levels of carbs , I aim to be under 100 grams of carbs daily , and that is not especially low I know but I do miss the carbs so much . My level is usually a bit higher and therefor my morning blood glucose is in the area of 6.5 mmol and on the more succesful days I get just into the fives like 5.7-5.9 mmol that is if I manage to stay under 100 grams of carbs .

The hardest days are when I exercise a lot like 4 hours and unfortunately this doesn’t get my blood glucose down and also spikes my appetite on carbs

We are all different but the amount of carbs is the culprit

stay as low as possibble