Your daily low-carb routine?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

What is your daily low-carb routine? What do you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in between?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eat nothing before lunchtime only tea(lactofree milk) and coffee (with cream)
Lunch ultra low carb .. bacon eggs/ cold meats/ pork scratchings (if eaten at all)
Dinner almost always eaten - meat/fish (in the old days with green veg these days usually alone) cheese or maybe so high cocoa chocolate.
Coffee with cream/ tea with lactofree milk drunk throughout the day. Shopping is so easy...

Reactions: Terrytiddy

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream for breakfast, if I don’t eat as soon as I wake up my liver ‘helpfully’ chucks out glucose til I eat, so unlike @bulkbiker and many others here fasting til lunch time does me no favours.
Lunch is usually salad with some protein; cold chicken, fried halloumi chips, ham, eggs or fish followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon chia pudding if at home or protein bar if out, with black coffee.
Dinner will be fairly ‘normal’ meals with low carb subs, celriac in place of potatoes, butternut squash in place of pasta and cauliflower in place of rice for instance. Then SF jelly with cream and LC chocolate granola for dessert.
There’s loads of ideas on this thread, where a bunch of us post our food each day:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-944#post-1893297

Edit for clarification

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think that the important thing to note here is that you need to find the routine or regime that suits you as an individual and one that takes everything into account such as food likes/dislikes, carb tolerance level, medications (even non Diabetes medications you may be taking can affect what or when you take meals), your activity levels, your hours of work etc. Use your glucometer to find the best routine for you.

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you t2s in this thread? I’m T1 and I’d be starving if that’s all I ate. I’m waiting to see what the low carb T1 program is going to be like.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you t2s in this thread? I’m T1 and I’d be starving if that’s all I ate. I’m waiting to see what the low carb T1 program is going to be like.
No you won't be thats what the fat does.. the cream in the coffee the butter in the eggs keeps you feeling full for hours.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate ham and tomato when I first got up today, and had a mug of coffee with cream.
I don't eat lunch or have snacks in the day, dinner was lamb chops with mixed veges, stirfried, and another mug of coffee.
That is pretty much the usual running order apart from the days when I have berries and cream as dessert - which is two or three times a week.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Giving a more carnivore way of eating a go for a few months..going to combine that with some more fasting soon.

Is that mostly for bg control, weight loss or just because you fancy a change? Do you have to eat lots of fat with it?
Sorry for all the questions, still trying to figure it all out myself

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that mostly for bg control, weight loss or just because you fancy a change? Do you have to eat lots of fat with it?
Sorry for all the questions, still trying to figure it all out myself
Well BG control is mostly ok at the moment so was experimenting with some weight loss (limited success so far but I have been a bit half hearted with it) . Fat mostly comes from meat and a bit of extra butter and cream in coffee of course. Usually ends up with macros of about 75% fat 24% protein and 1% carbs. Makes food shopping very easy!

Reactions: DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Usually eggs for breakfast. Fridge to face in a couple of mins. However I cook them I throw in some double cream, cheese and butter. If I'm not that hungry I just have coffee with double cream.

As I eat a late breaky I don't normally have lunch. If I fancy a nibble I have a couple of slices of salami with a bit of cheese or if I fancy something sweet I have a couple of squares of 85% choc.

Dinner would be meat and veg (above ground mainly). Or Bolognese on a bed of green beans or with cauliflower rice. Treat once a week of chicken shish kebab in a tray no pitta bread splash of chilli sauce and lashings of garlic mayo. Glass of red wine (large). Nuts/olives for nibbles. Coffee and cream here and there. Of I eat too late or have supper it tends to put up my fBS so I try to avoid.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well BG control is mostly ok at the moment so was experimenting with some weight loss (limited success so far but I have been a bit half hearted with it) . Fat mostly comes from meat and a bit of extra butter and cream in coffee of course. Usually ends up with macros of about 75% fat 24% protein and 1% carbs. Makes food shopping very easy!

Thanks.
I love having coffee with cream- it’s absolutely the best thing about having diabetes!

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I have high cholesterol which I’m struggling to control even on the highest rise of statins. Cream and fat are no good for me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't really have any set routine for low carbing - I simply choose whatever I fancy or have available to eat from a whole range of suitable low carb full/normal fat foods. I eat if/when I'm hungry, otherwise I'll skip a meal - or two. (Since I'm retired - for longer than I've been diabetic - I also have the freedom of varied mealtimes.) So apart from the type of food I've now chosen to eat and the fact that as a T2, I test pre and post meal glucose levels, the main difference is that I rarely ever feel the need to snack. Fat in place of carbs for energy keeps me feeling full much longer.

Robbity

Reactions: DJC3

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In my two years since diagnosis my numbers have gone down, eating LCHF, when on the low fat 'cholesterol lowering' diet, - there seemed to be a problem in making it work.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have high cholesterol which I’m struggling to control even on the highest rise of statins. Cream and fat are no good for me.
I would experiment. Don't believe all you are told by the authorities. My cholesterol has fallen since having fewer carbs and more fat. Interestingly if I have cow's dairy my TC levels are higher than if I have goat's dairy. I believe this isn't a problem with the fat per se, just that I have a mild intolerance to cow's dairy ( a naturopath has advised me of the intolerance) and therefore my cholesterol rises as a response to inflammation...In other words my rise in cholesterol protects me from any adverse effects due to my mild dairy intolerance.

Back to my daily routine.
Breakfast - 2 cups of tea (full caffeine) with whole milk
snacks - tea (decaff for the rest of the day) made with 'milk' from a jug made from 30 mls cream and topped up to half pint with water
- or coffee with cream.
lunch - none except on Weds when I have nuts.
dinner - eaten as soon as I feel hungry from 4 pm onwards - low carb veg and a little meat (not a keen meat eater but I do have some) or soup followed by cheese and tomato.
supper - 7g 99% choc, maybe some nuts too.

also 2 litres of water a day minimum

If I am hungry before 4pm I have a few nuts, but this is more from boredom with my daily tasks than an actual need to eat.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
My routine seems to have become,

Breakfast is a kale smoothie with natural youghert and cream. Couple of drops of vanilla to taste.

Then nothing but water, maybe a black coffee no sugar/sweetner.

Dinner wise I have stopped bothering, I wasn't actually hungry and just eating because your supposed to I guess.

Then evening meal. Meat or fish with veggies or salad.

Working for me so far.