1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Your daily low-carb routine?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by kaup, Oct 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kaup

kaup · Active Member

Hey,

What is your daily low-carb routine? What do you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in between?

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

Eat nothing before lunchtime only tea(lactofree milk) and coffee (with cream)
    Lunch ultra low carb .. bacon eggs/ cold meats/ pork scratchings (if eaten at all)
    Dinner almost always eaten - meat/fish (in the old days with green veg these days usually alone) cheese or maybe so high cocoa chocolate.
    Coffee with cream/ tea with lactofree milk drunk throughout the day. Shopping is so easy...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I eat low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream for breakfast, if I don’t eat as soon as I wake up my liver ‘helpfully’ chucks out glucose til I eat, so unlike @bulkbiker and many others here fasting til lunch time does me no favours.
    Lunch is usually salad with some protein; cold chicken, fried halloumi chips, ham, eggs or fish followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
    Mid afternoon chia pudding if at home or protein bar if out, with black coffee.
    Dinner will be fairly ‘normal’ meals with low carb subs, celriac in place of potatoes, butternut squash in place of pasta and cauliflower in place of rice for instance. Then SF jelly with cream and LC chocolate granola for dessert.
    There’s loads of ideas on this thread, where a bunch of us post our food each day:
    https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-944#post-1893297

Edit for clarification

#3 Rachox, Oct 6, 2018 at 12:36 PM
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Expert

I think that the important thing to note here is that you need to find the routine or regime that suits you as an individual and one that takes everything into account such as food likes/dislikes, carb tolerance level, medications (even non Diabetes medications you may be taking can affect what or when you take meals), your activity levels, your hours of work etc. Use your glucometer to find the best routine for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. donnac1968

donnac1968 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Are you t2s in this thread? I’m T1 and I’d be starving if that’s all I ate. I’m waiting to see what the low carb T1 program is going to be like.

6. bulkbiker

No you won't be thats what the fat does.. the cream in the coffee the butter in the eggs keeps you feeling full for hours.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I ate ham and tomato when I first got up today, and had a mug of coffee with cream.
    I don't eat lunch or have snacks in the day, dinner was lamb chops with mixed veges, stirfried, and another mug of coffee.
    That is pretty much the usual running order apart from the days when I have berries and cream as dessert - which is two or three times a week.

8. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

May I ask why no green veg now?

9. bulkbiker

Giving a more carnivore way of eating a go for a few months..going to combine that with some more fasting soon.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DJC3

Is that mostly for bg control, weight loss or just because you fancy a change? Do you have to eat lots of fat with it?
    Sorry for all the questions, still trying to figure it all out myself

11. britishpub

britishpub Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No routine. I just get on with my life.

12. bulkbiker

Well BG control is mostly ok at the moment so was experimenting with some weight loss (limited success so far but I have been a bit half hearted with it) . Fat mostly comes from meat and a bit of extra butter and cream in coffee of course. Usually ends up with macros of about 75% fat 24% protein and 1% carbs. Makes food shopping very easy!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Usually eggs for breakfast. Fridge to face in a couple of mins. However I cook them I throw in some double cream, cheese and butter. If I'm not that hungry I just have coffee with double cream.

As I eat a late breaky I don't normally have lunch. If I fancy a nibble I have a couple of slices of salami with a bit of cheese or if I fancy something sweet I have a couple of squares of 85% choc.

Dinner would be meat and veg (above ground mainly). Or Bolognese on a bed of green beans or with cauliflower rice. Treat once a week of chicken shish kebab in a tray no pitta bread splash of chilli sauce and lashings of garlic mayo. Glass of red wine (large). Nuts/olives for nibbles. Coffee and cream here and there. Of I eat too late or have supper it tends to put up my fBS so I try to avoid.

14. DJC3

Thanks.
    I love having coffee with cream- it’s absolutely the best thing about having diabetes!

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook