What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Forum withdrawal symptoms for me after the briefest of engagement yesterday - WiFi dropped once on train home and once home it was straight to bed. Having a bit of a catch up this morning.

@Brunneria getting up at silly o’clock is not at all unusual for me. If I sleep deeply 5 hours is plenty. It’s disturbed sleep of any length that puts me off kilter.

@jayney27 great to see you back. Will definitely add paprika to my next batch of halloumi fries. Did you wrap them in bacon? I found that delicious. Didn’t go for the full @Bubbsie recipe as I don’t get on with chilli. @shelley262 will be interested to see how the prepared ones turn out.

@DJC3 yes am exhausted. Today will also be busy then I’m intending to grab as much me time as possible over the weekend. Although will be doing a mega bake as I volunteered to make the cakes for the surprise birthday do we’re planning for a colleague’s 60th birthday on Monday. I’ll be having that breakfast sandwich for lunch on Sunday.

@Rachox hope the results are as good as you deserve.

Now on to the point of this post. An update on my carnivore eating. Although I haven’t eaten much veg for quite a while last week was my first full week completely sticking to animal based products only (aside from the bag of salted almonds I ate on the train last night: BG had dropped down to 4 at the two hour post dinner reading and I was quite hungry).

Reversed a trend of very small weekly increases that had taken me just over the upper weight limit I have set. This week lost 1.2kg and 1cm from my waist. Ketones have shot up from 0.8 to 4.5 (the metallic taste in my mouth was pretty extreme yesterday). Desire for sweet things, which I think was being triggered by Diet Coke and nut based products, is much reduced and despite crazy work schedule have had lots of energy. Plenty of reasons to keep going.
@Goonergal Hope you find some me time this weekend. At times I wonder if avoiding this forum would be best. Now I have read your feedback on carnivore diet a game of could i / should I is playing out in my head. In the background a similar one provoked by reading the cholesterol thread is still troubling me. All the time I am trying to control my natural stance against any and all diet related ideas. That is, these bast**** are out to harm me, how do I defend myself:arghh::arghh:
Your results sound fantastic and it clearly suits you so I am delighted for you. Just very wary of getting drawn into trying something new. Exposure to so many ideas on here is a real danger for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

GrumpyOldPhart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal Hope you find some me time this weekend. At times I wonder if avoiding this forum would be best. Now I have read your feedback on carnivore diet a game of could i / should I is playing out in my head. In the background a similar one provoked by reading the cholesterol thread is still troubling me. Al the time I am trying to control my natural stance against any and all diet related ideas. That is these bast**** are out to harm me, how do I defend myself:arghh::arghh:
Your results sound fantastic and it clearly suits you so I am delighted for you. Just very wary of getting drawn into trying something new. Exposure to so many ideas on here is a real anger for me.
Oh for a parallel universe in which to carry out the experiment with a control!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all, 5.3 this morning and woke at a much more respectable time, still feeling the effects from all the travelling and time difference.
@Goonergal i have had halloumu wrapped in bacon but I tend now to have it as “chips” with fried egg and mushrooms, the paprika adds to the illusion of looking like real chips :playful:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh for a parallel universe in which to carry out the experiment with a control!
In the quote you used my dodgy d key made danger appear as anger. Very apt - just hammered out a session on the exercise bike and feel better now - proper buzzing. No better idea about feeding myself but raw aggression is a powerful thing when used well.

Last edited:

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reversed a trend of very small weekly increases that had taken me just over the upper weight limit I have set. This week lost 1.2kg and 1cm from my waist. Ketones have shot up from 0.8 to 4.5 (the metallic taste in my mouth was pretty extreme yesterday). Desire for sweet things, which I think was being triggered by Diet Coke and nut based products, is much reduced and despite crazy work schedule have had lots of energy. Plenty of reasons to keep going.
That's really interesting about the metallic taste in your mouth. I occasionally get this but didn't think that I ate low carb enough for ketosis, so maybe the odd day I do!

Reactions: Pipp

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - Hi lo toast and butter
Lunch - 1/2 avocado, serrano ham, rollitos, salad, olives. Strawberries and cream
Dinner - Poached egg, bacon, halloumi fries and oven roasted tomatoes. Home made 'bounty' chocolate made with coconut and 90% Lindt.
Snacks - Smoked almonds

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's colder and more windy. Amazingly I was sitting in exactly the same position in this house at this precise time 34 years ago - also feeling less than 100%. That day ended better. Today was fine in many ways just didn't go as I wanted mid afternoon. Menu:

Breakfast: Tea
Dockey : Tassimo Americano Grande with cream after HITT
Lunch : Walk then tea - combination of total confusion and feeling I’ve come this far so sod it
Mid Afternoon: Tea - By 3.30 I was cold, tired and hungry - intended to do weights but caution took over Evening meal: Fish stew/soup - salmon; cod loin; seafood medley; paprika; Thai green curry paste there was some celery and h/m veg stock cubes and h/g tomatoes in there ; Used IP for that. Chunk of cheddar - would have been so easy to eat lots of that. There may be Whiskey (yes Irish) before bed - had never drunk that until about 18 months ago but like it more than Scotch now
No hovering
@Tori71 How were the homemade Bounty bars?

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Playing catch up again. Wednesday night I was wiped out but went off to bed on a 6.2 and arose to a 5.4. Legs are causing problems but seeing Physio on Friday.

B. M&S stuff - egg and spinach protein pot, anchovies and mozzarella pearls. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Another bowl of my spinach and broccoli soup.
Scoop of a new Breyer's ice cream. Berry Choc chip. It's pink and has chop chips but doesn't taste of berries. Might be better with some berries.
D. A few more spoonfuls of M&S stuff. 5 Santini tomatoes, rest of the anchovies, few more mozzarella pearls, spoonful of their tuna, beans and red onion and a spoonful of marinaded Honduran prawns.
Later on I had another coffee and a grenade bar - caramel chaos.

Still feeling a bit wiped out. Bed (early) 6.2 and FBG 6.5. Rotten night as hubby was dreaming he was a detective investigating a stabbing and his questioning of The witnesses was highly annoying and illogical. Think he Thought he was on Silent Witness
Today - physio after the school run.
B. Very quick couple of crispy streaky bacon rashers and a fried egg. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream.
L. Nothing - was entertaining the boys showing them how to make Rocky Roads so had a bit of a mess to clear up especially after No 2 had his head in the empty bowls to lick them
D. After the return home of chocolate smeared boys and 24 Rocky Roads had a 1/2 bowl of the spinach and broccoli soup ( rest is in the freezer ).
6 M&S hot and spicy chicken wings (raw ones which were air fried) , 2 M&S chilli and halloumi which I wrapped in bacon and popped in the oven. This is a new thing for M&S - thick bit of chilli soaked Halloumi on a stick. 4 to a pack. Cheese and chive dip with it.

Hubby is munching his way though the remains of the Rocky Roads. Thank goodness I don't like them.

Physio reckoned stress and the upset to my routines had knocked me backwards. After a painful bit of work on my legs the swelling has gone and the joints are mobilised again. I'm now under orders to start taking care of myself again. So will be getting myself sorted out !

@Goonergal - we ended up sitting in York station on Monday as the theft of the signalling equipment at Batley left us with insufficient time to have a drink.

@DJC3 - glad DD is doing it's stuff. I think I need to get back on the menu planner again. Also , I can recommend wearing Aqua Shoes. I have a lack of sensation in my feet after the crash but the Aqua Shoes allowed me to get in and out of the pool under my own steam and avoid going face first during some of the moves! Wouldn't be without them.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's colder and more windy. Amazingly I was sitting in exactly the same position in this house at this precise time 34 years ago - also feeling less than 100%. That day ended better. Today was fine in many ways just didn't go as I wanted mid afternoon. Menu:

Breakfast: Tea
Dockey : Tassimo Americano Grande with cream after HITT
Lunch : Walk then tea - combination of total confusion and feeling I’ve come this far so sod it
Mid Afternoon: Tea - By 3.30 I was cold, tired and hungry - intended to do weights but caution took over Evening meal: Fish stew/soup - salmon; cod loin; seafood medley; paprika; Thai green curry paste there was some celery and h/m veg stock cubes and h/g tomatoes in there ; Used IP for that. Chunk of cheddar - would have been so easy to eat lots of that. There may be Whiskey (yes Irish) before bed - had never drunk that until about 18 months ago but like it more than Scotch now
No hovering
@Tori71 How were the homemade Bounty bars?
Sorry you're not feeling too good :(, hope you pick up soon.

They were nice, and a change from plain chocolate. I don't have a mould so put the mixture into petit four cases. Spurred on by my excellent chocolatiering(!) experience I am going to acquire some peppermint extract to make 'After Eights' and orange extract to make 'Terry's Chocolate Orange'.:rolleyes:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you're not feeling too good :(, hope you pick up soon.

They were nice, and a change from plain chocolate. I don't have a mould so put the mixture into petit four cases. Spurred on by my excellent chocolatiering(!) experience I am going to acquire some peppermint extract to make 'After Eights' and orange extract to make 'Terry's Chocolate Orange'.:rolleyes:
Glad the Bounty bars went well. I had thought of Easter eggs and bought moulds but the chocolate orange idea is perfect. Thanks for the good wishes I was a little cold as I hadn't eaten and ducked out of the planned weights session mostly because I need to do it properly.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And I Thought it was just No 1 grandson who did that :)
I swear I avert my gaze, and only use the goggles to prevent me from crashing into anyone.
The pool shoes/ socks are a must. Somehow mine were left out of the kit bag today, so had to go barefooted. I slipped on the ladder, caused a big tidal wave as I hit the water, and hit my shin on one of the rungs, giving a nice purple bruise. The folks in the class were very nice. Nobody laughed. Or at least they didn't where I could see them. Most hurt was my dignity.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today was first day of fasting. I have survived so far on water, coffee, and peppermint tea. No appetite at all, so will go for continuation until tomorrow evening.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@maglil55 hope you make some progress with your legs. I did have time for a drink in York, but just sat in the pub using their free WiFi!

Today’s menu was:

Lunch - M&S Serrano ham and manchego rollitos.

Dinner - fathead pizza. Tried a different recipe with no ground almonds (or other flour substitutes), just used mozzarella, Parmesan and cream cheese for the base (no egg) with more mozzarella, pepperoni and Polish sausage for the topping. Very tasty but a bit more messy as the base wasn’t so firm as when ground almonds are included.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still feeling a bit wiped out. Bed (early) 6.2 and FBG 6.5. Rotten night as hubby was dreaming he was a detective investigating a stabbing and his questioning of The witnesses was highly annoying and illogical. Think he Thought he was on Silent Witness

@DJC3 - glad DD is doing it's stuff. I think I need to get back on the menu planner again. Also , I can recommend wearing Aqua Shoes. I have a lack of sensation in my feet after the crash but the Aqua Shoes allowed me to get in and out of the pool under my own steam and avoid going face first during some of the moves! Wouldn't be without them.

Sorry you had such a rough night’s sleep but I had to laugh at your hubby’s dream. I got thumped one night when Mr C had a dream that someone was stealing his motorcycle!

Tonight’s task is to go on Amazon and get some of the aqua shoes that you and @Pipp both recommend - then there’ll be no stopping me.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all

It’s turning so cold here. Good excuse to buy more jumpers I think.
All meals from DD today again and all were jolly nice

B: scrambled egg with halloumi

L: 1/2 portion, same as yesterday - Deli beef and h/m coleslaw. No dill pickle today and bg dropped after lunch!

D: Sesame salmon with Thai curry cabbage. Thoroughly recommend this. And it was good to have something without cheese for a change.

@Goonergal hope you enjoy the breakfast sandwhich tomorrow.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Forum withdrawal symptoms for me after the briefest of engagement yesterday - WiFi dropped once on train home and once home it was straight to bed. Having a bit of a catch up this morning.

@Brunneria getting up at silly o’clock is not at all unusual for me. If I sleep deeply 5 hours is plenty. It’s disturbed sleep of any length that puts me off kilter.

@jayney27 great to see you back. Will definitely add paprika to my next batch of halloumi fries. Did you wrap them in bacon? I found that delicious. Didn’t go for the full @Bubbsie recipe as I don’t get on with chilli. @shelley262 will be interested to see how the prepared ones turn out.

@DJC3 yes am exhausted. Today will also be busy then I’m intending to grab as much me time as possible over the weekend. Although will be doing a mega bake as I volunteered to make the cakes for the surprise birthday do we’re planning for a colleague’s 60th birthday on Monday. I’ll be having that breakfast sandwich for lunch on Sunday.

@Rachox hope the results are as good as you deserve.

Now on to the point of this post. An update on my carnivore eating. Although I haven’t eaten much veg for quite a while last week was my first full week completely sticking to animal based products only (aside from the bag of salted almonds I ate on the train last night: BG had dropped down to 4 at the two hour post dinner reading and I was quite hungry).

Glad the carnivory is working for you and that you’ve halted the sneaky weight gain. I think you’re right about Diet Coke and the like perpetuating a sweet tooth.
Are you still going to allow yourself the odd bit of Montezumas?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast quarter lodough eggy bread with bacon and egg
Lunch veggie soup and two squares 90% choc
Dinner chilli with halloumi chips and red wine followed by lc raspberry mousse with Greek yoghurt
Feel so lucky that I’m able to eat amazingly well but maintain my weight and bgs at such low levels - feels a bit like a miracle at times. Those halloumi chips are a game changer for me the textures and flavours are amazing I used to love chips with my chilli pre diabetic diagnosis and buttered mushrooms are not quite the sAme but the crispy halloumi chips - yum !
Hope everyone had a good Friday And that weekend is good for us all.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you make the coconut bit moist? Do you just mix it with coconut oil?
Ah good point! I may have over egged the pudding with my 'Bounty' claims. I just mixed in the coconut for a bounty 'feel'. To be honest I'm just happy to add a new taste to chocolate (as delicious as it is plain)! I don't think the major brands have anything to fear as yet ;)