Toast

D

Deleted Account

I recommend taking a look at dietdoctor for their low carb suggestions.
There are lots of ideas there and will save you having to check each thing you eat.

As for breakfast, common low carb options are eggs or full fat plain greek yogurt with some berries.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not keen on bacon
Ham, chicken, cheese, eggs, cold beef, coffee with cream?

Toast will likely

1. Cause your blood sugar to spike
  2. Leave you feeling hungry again in a couple of hours
  3. Prolong your addiction to carbohydrate which is likely why you are here in the first place
It would be much better for your health to find a lower carb breakfast food if you have to eat when you get up in my experience.

Reactions: Diane_56

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recommend taking a look at dietdoctor for their low carb suggestions.
There are lots of ideas there and will save you having to check each thing you eat.

As for breakfast, common low carb options are eggs or full fat plain greek yogurt with some berries.
Thanks will have a look

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Best thing to have on toast for breakfast

Hi Diane, I know you have posted many 'food' related posts so I am assuming you have decided that you are going to eat toast despite just about everybody saying it is not great if you are trying to keep your glucose levels from spiking, etc. If that is the case(and of course it is your choice), then I am not sure what type of suggestions you are looking for, are you on about low carb options for your toast or just options in general? I think it sometimes confuses us when we are not sure if a poster is asking us about low carb options or not.

Reactions: Diane_56

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Best thing to have on toast for breakfast
Well, no toast at all would be great, as toast will spike you... Eggs with cheese and tomatoes maybe, as bacon isn't a favourite? Full fat greek yoghurt with nuts, coconut shavings and a couple of berries? An omelet with sweetener, cream and cinnamon, with a side of coconutshavings and berries? You mention having to eat in the a.m. because you'll feel ill otherwise, but have you ever tried bulletproof coffee? (It's more butter and coconut oil than coffee, really). It's quite filling, delicious and satiating.

If you insist on toast, I guess the best thing would be to have it with something fatty, to at least try to mitigate the spike some... Full fat cheese? Ham? Loads of butter...! But really... Toast.... See what it does to you with a meter, then decide whether you really, absolutely, can't live without it. (And really... Considering diabetic complications like kidneyfaillure, amputated feet, heartdisease and such... How much is toast really worth? Not to be a *****, but it is something I keep in mind myself, when I'm being tempted.)

Edited by mod for profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kitedoc and KK123

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree with the above, but if you are going to eat toast you can eat it with anything you like, except sweet stuff like honey or marmelade.

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with the above, but if you are going to eat toast you can eat it with anything you like, except sweet stuff like honey or marmelade.
Thank you all for your advise no haven't tired bullet proff coffee will try and some of them breakfast you have said I know you wasn't being a *****.

Edited by mod for profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kitedoc

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Diane, I know you have posted many 'food' related posts so I am assuming you have decided that you are going to eat toast despite just about everybody saying it is not great if you are trying to keep your glucose levels from spiking, etc. If that is the case(and of course it is your choice), then I am not sure what type of suggestions you are looking for, are you on about low carb options for your toast or just options in general? I think it sometimes confuses us when we are not sure if a poster is asking us about low carb options or not.
Going to try some of other suggestions that people have said some one mentioned bullet profe. Coffee how do you make it

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Medical opinion is consistently finding tht blood sugars running out of target and showing significant spikes are bad for health and are a major risk factor for diabetic progression and complications
Rather than just accepting what other people are telling you about the effect toast will have on you based on their own experiences / undestanding, I think the best thing to do would be to get yourself a BG meter (they are not all massively expensive - in the Uk the Tee2 wth 100 test strips will cost around £25) and use it to see what effect foods ( e.g. plain toast and then toast with various toppings ) do to your blood sugars, only then you can make a fully informed choice as to what is good for you to eat and what not to eat

Reactions: eddie07

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Medical opinion is consistently finding tht blood sugars running out of target and showing significant spikes are bad for health and are a major risk factor for diabetic progression and complications
Rather than just accepting what other people are telling you about the effect toast will have on you based on their experiences, I think the best thing to do would be to get yourself a BG meter - they are not all massively expensive - in the Uk the Tee2 wth 100 test strips will cost around £25- and use it to see wht effect plain toast and then toast with various toppings do to your blood sugars, then you can make a fully informed choice as to what to eat and what not to eat
I had some toast this morning low carb with a scraping of jam took my blood sugar two hours later was up going to try some Greek yoghurt with some Berry's

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your advise much appreciated