What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wasn't going to test this morning. I took my eye off the ball last night and focused it on the bowl of celebrations that are traditionally scattered around at Christmas time for friends and family who call. Always done it, can't stop now. I've not succumbed to ordinary chocolate since diagnosis, just over 1 year ago. Not sure why I did last night but I had 6 of the sugar bombs!!! I was only going to have 1. That was never going to happen! So moreish, i remembered that just as I was eating the 1st one! That coupled with hunters chicken (which said on the pack 6.6 per piece and i had 2 pieces as my weight was back at my lowest so want to nudge it up a couple of lbs, maintaining for me is proving quite challenging, especially when you have a heavy cold and appetite not what it usually is). My one glass of red wine wasn't enough to win the battle of BS! So today I report my FBS of 7.1. It's times like this it hits me that I haven't reversed my diabetes. I'm just controlling it (99% of the time!). I hate to go into detail especially so early in the morning but my 'sugar overload' symptoms that involve rapid race to the loo returned (one of the symptoms i went to the dr with prior to dx). My body just can no longer deal with high carb intake. I don't want hugs. It was self inflicted and don't deserve them. But I'm taking a hard lesson from this and moving onwards and upwards. @Goonergal I'm so happy to see yours are playing ball! Off to do some painting now .....after a cheese omelette!

Hope you all have good days. It's very cold on the north west coast. But nice and toasty inside I'm happy to say. @DJC3 I hope you get sorted soon.
I'm not offering any hugs Debandez you did well if that's your first 'dip' into the chocolate trap in a year...I have my diabetes days where I know I need to have something off limits...they are occasional but necessary for me...I think you did well to stop at six...and a 7.1 after a carb fest is not to be sniffed at.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Good morning everyone! Hope all is well! It's bitterly cold in Leicesrshire this morning! I've also heard rumors of snow coming our way! Any way, I did a test this morning, I got up after a long night's sleep, Nil by mouth, got my badminton rackets and of I went for an hours game. The game was quite intensive, sweated plenty, and consumed couple of pints of water in the process. I just returned home, had nothing to eat or drink (other than water) tested my BG levels, mmol/L = 5.8. It appears that this type of exercise dose not have much affect on the fasting BG levels (I had the same reading without doing any training, yesterday morning). Tomorrow morning I'll to the same test, however this time I'll spend the time on the bench press working out with weights, and see the difference - if any. best wishes to all!
Thanks for sharing this. I find at different points since dx 3 years ago exercise changes my bs readings so its good to hear of others where its different.

Roulis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for sharing this. I find at different points since dx 3 years ago exercise changes my bs readings so its good to hear of others where its different.
Will test again tomorrow with resistance training this time and report back my findings. However, it looks like that it may be down to the individual's reaction (assuming of course that my measurements are 100% accurate). Best wishes. Theo

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not offering any hugs Debandez you did well if that's your first 'dip' into the chocolate trap in a year...I have my diabetes days where I know I need to have something off limits...they are occasional but necessary for me...I think you did well to stop at six...and a 7.1 after a carb fest is not to be sniffed at.

That perked me up, thank you. I think I will be having another, quite soon too, in about 10 dats time to be precise!!! Looking forward to that one and forward planning! There will be stuffing involved, honey roast parsnip, a couple of roasties, and .....dare I even say it.....Christmas cake with Lancashire cheese!!!! On the plus side, no bread, no pasta, no rice, no cereals :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning, everyone! 5.6 FBG this morning inside and 9 degrees outside. Out there are fog and mist and in here are sausages and coffee, a tree to put up, and presents to wrap. I'm doing the Christmas decorating a bit early this year because tomorrow a young friend is coming to see my tree (and get a red panda).

@DJC3 and @JohnEGreen ,
I never thought Alabama was anything like Cornwall, but now I see I'll have rethink that. :)

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Way to go, @Chronicle_Cat ! :)

Congratulations on the clothes success too! I'm aiming for a 16 these days -- not quite there yet according to the jeans in the thrift shop a couple of weeks ago (assuming a Canadian 16 is the same as a US 16). You are doing great!

My other BB has a thumbs-up emoji; I wish they had this BB's head-bang-on-wall emoji.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That perked me up, thank you. I think I will be having another, quite soon too, in about 10 dats time to be precise!!! Looking forward to that one and forward planning! There will be stuffing involved, honey roast parsnip, a couple of roasties, and .....dare I even say it.....Christmas cake with Lancashire cheese!!!! On the plus side, no bread, no pasta, no rice, no cereals :)
I limit my carbs 99% of the time D&D however I have absolutely no qualms about straying from the righteous path now & again...I don't worry about it...once it's over I'm fine with it...had a good walk with Harry in the freezing weather...got myself down in the 4's so had a small hot suet pudding to give me back a bit of energy...will avoid lunch...I expect to be back down in the middle fives by dinner time.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
.@ianpspurs hope you are having a lovely time with the little lad and his littler sister..
@PenguinMum Thanks for the good wishes and yes we are having a good time. You get a very different relationship with them when they are on their own with you in your own home. The boy stayed here for 3 days a week for 2 years so we are very close. The young lady is proper sassy already - has learned really quickly that a big smile wins most people over - just makes me roll my eyes :angelic: We did get her to sleep from 10.00 last night until 7.30 this morning. Will be lots of fun watching her try to weedle her way round me - think she went too soon Sorry to hear about #roofgate .

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Will test again tomorrow with resistance training this time and report back my findings. However, it looks like that it may be down to the individual's reaction (assuming of course that my measurements are 100% accurate). Best wishes. Theo
hi Theo, I also suspect that the amount of fasting one does affects the results. When I had just finished the Newcastle diet any activity, even a short walk down the road would affect my bs readings. Recently I've taken to eating steak and eggs for breakfast, or have 3 eggs with cheese, in short a high protein breakfast, and I can get away without raising my bs levels . Weirdly coffee , I take it black and strong, also has an effect.

Reactions: ziggy_w

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1544814016984.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs I'm glad you and the grands are having a good time.

I just made a cup of coffee and realized that I stir anticlockwise. When I noticed that, I tried stirring it north to south. The swirly pattern is prettier stirring around and around though.

I'm watching Prancer, the movie I took the two young daughters of friends of mine to see back in 1989, the year it was released. In recent years I've watched it every year it's on TV mostly to see Sam Elliott.

Geoffno6

Well, just over a day away from this thread and there’s 140 posts to read through! Most interesting, many amusing, @alf_Josiah cracked me up with ‘On a sad note, Mrs J has staggered down stairs to issue unlistened to instructions’ it conjured up a great mental picture
@Debandez twerking over a 6.3 conjured up an altogether different mental picture! and she’s a screamer too! The mind boggles, but 6 x celebrations, sooo naughty!
@Chronicle_Cat though is today’s forum star breaking a 32 year clothes size record and nudging the 200lb barrier, well done you
And my FBG was a blooming nerve tingling 9.1 again with less than 15g carbs on Friday :-(

Last edited:

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
My morning numbers were fine.
However I’m currently experiencing my biggest ever spike.
Someone offered me a pre dinner Baileys : I like Baileys so I had one. Then a top up.
Then I did a test: 10.3. Must be dodgy test again 10.7. *** I need a strip from a different box. 11.1.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr : idiot idiot idiot!
It’s moments like this I need a Type 1 to tell me to pull myself together.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pull yourself together. :D
Don't know if this counts since I am T2. But I'm a T2 who just ate two chocolate-drop cookies with my coffee.
So if we pull together neither of us need have a come-apart.

On another note:
Sam Elliott is failing to keep me awake so I will blame it on the cookies and go take a nap. I just got a new Christmas-plaid flannel shirt that is very warm and snuggly and will be perfect for my nap.