Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
some of my choices over the last three days havent been particulary low carb.... liquids or solids ...didnt seem wrong at the time!and yesterday ...6.1 a.m. and 6.3 lunchtime ..
I think you need more clubs in your bag than LCHF but the road to control definitely runs through the centre of LCville. You seem to be doing fine to me but then I know nothing.

ViolaChiri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup. Decided it’s time for a pre- Christmas fast to purge the system. I’ll be doing a minimum 48h, which means no food until tomorrow dinner time. Easy peezy lemon squeezy.
I have yet to do beyond a 16-18hr fast...can I still take my metformin if I wanted to do more than 24hrs?

Reactions: millenium
M

Member496333

I have yet to do beyond a 16-18hr fast...can I still take my metformin if I wanted to do more than 24hrs?

There has been some discussion that intermittent fasting isn’t recommended when taking Metformin. I can only speak for myself when I say that I have done 48h fasts when I was taking it and didn’t notice any deleterious effects. In fact IF helped me further understand my body, diabetes in general, and get off Metformin. But that’s not to say there aren’t conceivable reasons why one shouldn’t fast while taking it. I suspect that if it is recommended in some circles that the two don’t mix, it is probably based in the idea of gastrointestinal distress which some people suffer from as a common side effect, especially when taken without food.

Personally I wouldn’t discourage anyone who is taking Metformin to try intermittent fasting.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There has been some discussion that intermittent fasting isn’t recommended when taking Metformin. I can only speak for myself when I say that I have done 48h fasts when I was taking it and didn’t notice any deleterious effects. In fact IF helped me further understand my body, diabetes in general, and get off Metformin. But that’s not to say there aren’t conceivable reasons why one shouldn’t fast while taking it. I suspect that if it is recommended in some circles that the two don’t mix, it is probably based in the idea of gastrointestinal distress which some people suffer from as a common side effect, especially when taken without food.

Personally I wouldn’t discourage anyone who is taking Metformin to try intermittent fasting.
I have done 92 hrs whilst taking Metformin with no apparent problems. Able to exercise including a HIIT session. On a personal level it screwed my relationship with food very badly for a while but your mileage may vary. In my case linking fasting to religious beliefs works well, Linking it to bg control, autophagy etc is a disaster,

Last edited:

ViolaChiri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I will give it a go and see how my body feels, thanks for the info. Hope I can hack 48 hours because my hunger pangs can be brutal or maybe I'm still adjusting to fasting.

M

Member496333

I will give it a go and see how my body feels, thanks for the info. Hope I can hack 48 hours because my hunger pangs can be brutal or maybe I'm still adjusting to fasting.

I may have missed previous posts but do you already eat a low carbohydrate diet? You mention hunger pangs which tells me you’re a sugar burner. When fasting you really need your body to be already adapted to switching to run on stored energy rather than just ingested food energy. If your body currently runs predominantly on glucose and isn’t used to running on ketones, you will find fasting for 48h very unpleasant, and I don’t recommend it.

Fasting in the region of 24h+ should only be attempted in people who are already keto-adapted. Otherwise you’re going to be tired, miserable and...hungry.

ViolaChiri

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may have missed previous posts but do you already eat a low carbohydrate diet? You mention hunger pangs which tells me you’re a sugar burner. When fasting you really need your body to be already adapted to switching to run on stored energy rather than just ingested food energy. If your body currently runs predominantly on glucose and isn’t used to running on ketones, you will find fasting for 48h very unpleasant, and I don’t recommend it.

Fasting in the region of 24h+ should only be attempted in people who are already keto-adapted. Otherwise you’re going to be tired, miserable and...hungry.
I try as much as possible to be as low carb but have too many cases of indulging especially when eating with family. In my country most meals are vegetable heavy but unfortunately most of our staples are carbohydrates. I try to mix vegetables with some protein...a lot of recipes and ingredients recommended on the website are not available locally for me but need to find alternatives.

But I agree that my body has not switched to stored energy because I feed it some carbs here and there.

M

Member496333

I try as much as possible to be as low carb but have too many cases of indulging especially when eating with family. In my country most meals are vegetable heavy but unfortunately most of our staples are carbohydrates. I try to mix vegetables with some protein...a lot of recipes and ingredients recommended on the website are not available locally for me but need to find alternatives.

But I agree that my body has not switched to stored energy because I feed it some carbs here and there.

I suspect you’ll find a 48h fast very unpleasant. Wouldn’t recommend it but good luck anyway :)