Evil Cheese?????

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With the cheese you must have something else going on then, as a lot of mature cheeses do not contain lactose anymore due to the riping process. Might be another food intolerance but not the lactose.
Maybe although its not specifically ‘mature’ cheese that I react to - mild to extra mature seem to set off reactions.
I was initially diagnosed over 35 years ago and at that time dairy intolerance and lactose intolerance seemed to be used interchangeably to describe my reactions. More recently, dairy intolerant is used more frequently

Reactions: Antje77

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty strange really that we eat so much cheese now that it is a real addiction when we are the only species that consume dairy products after we are weaned I wonder why we do

Reactions: jjraak

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pretty strange really that we eat so much cheese now that it is a real addiction when we are the only species that consume dairy products after we are weaned I wonder why we do
partly due to needing the calcium and vitamins we would otherwise lack, due to be in a northern country. Rickets used to be a very real problem. and hard cheese is a readily stored dense form of protein for winter months. It has been produced for millenia all over the world.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Greger and Willets. Now there's a bromance. As to why we are the only species to take milk after weaning and to take the milk of another species well... might as well ask why we would eat the flesh of another species, because we can and because in evolutionary terms a diet high in animal protein of any kind has served to make us the species with the largest brain and put us firmly at the top of the food chain.

Reactions: lucylocket61
D

Deleted member 308541

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
So would that be cheese in blankets? Cows in blankets.....? Want some, drooooling

Err.. ....pigs in cowhide?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People who are lactose intolerant, can try lactose free dairy products.
People who are whey intolerant (like me) can try dairy such as butter, hard cheeses and cream, where the whey has been (almost completely) removed.
A friend of the family worked out they couldn’t eat cooked cheese, but uncooked was problem free, so he took cheese on toast off the menu, and discovered the joys of quality cheese.
Those who can’t take cow’s dairy can often tolerate sheep or goat’s dairy.

As for why we eat dairy at all?
Might as well ask why we cook our food, brew alcoholic drinks, or pickle foods.
Same reasons; flavour, preservation, pleasure.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
No. If I could be bothered to write any article about milk though, it would mention the fact that intolerance to dairy, particularly cow dairy, is a pretty ( increasingly?) common food intolerance and is a factor to consider in childhood excema and asthma, also in intractable weight problems and rhinitis. For me I only became free of excema, and lost a significant weight (61/2 stone in 6 months) when food intolerances were diagnosed.
Edited to add
There are also some theories linking dairy allergies to the triggering of the autoimmune processes behind T1 diabetes, although Ive never been sure what to make of them

I am 66, American, and grew up (and never grew out of) loving milk with every meal and snack. (Mom had had rickets during the Depression, and wanted us to avoid that!) Didn’t know I was addicted until my early 40’s, when I was traveling and milk-deprived for 10 days. My first glass of milk after that was so good that I immediately had 2 more. GFCF had just come onto my radar, and I figured, a few years later, if I was going to try it on my autistic kid I may as well try it too. It didn’t work for kid, who starved himself for enough days that I had to give in. He was only 7, and pitifully hungry. But I stayed off the milk and cheese for probably 15 years and felt better for it. Now here I am with the cow casein addiction again , but still can’t stand milk! If anybody knows an American-available goat or sheep cheese that’s as low sodium as swiss, give me a shout!!!
Here’s an allergy not to catch: that new one to red meat! (Not kidding)
I think UK meat in general is probably less full of chemicals than US?

D

Deleted member 308541

Seems as if cheese and certain nuts are very 'moreish' for certain people but I do feel for those who are truly intolerant of dairy (70% iof all humans though most seem to live in the Southern hemisphere apparently),.
My family and I live in the southern hemisphere and we are not dairy intolerant. Come to think of it I do not know anyone who is in our circle of people we mix are.

I must admit I do not drink plain milk anymore, but this was due to the milk that was available in the town we moved to years ago coming in plastic bags. I never have liked cream either for some reason, but it is not to do with being allergic to it.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Every cat I have ever had and thats quite a few would be happy to lap a saucer of milk when we used to have milk delivered to the doorstep in bottles we were forever finding bottles with holes pecked in the tops by birds to get at the milk.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Every cat I have ever had and thats quite a few would be happy to lap a saucer of milk when we used to have milk delivered to the doorstep in bottles we were forever finding bottles with holes pecked in the tops by birds to get at the milk.
Most of my cats have been fine with milk, but the last one ( a Burmese cross rescue cat that lived to 22 yrs old) got the major squits if I gave her any cows milk. I had to shell out for this product which she could tolerate
https://www.whiskas.co.uk/our-products/cat-milk/whiskas-milk-for-cats-200ml

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hedgehogs like milk too. Our cat is vegan and tries to cover the saucer up when we put milk or cream in it.

D

Deleted member 308541

hedgehogs like milk too
I wonder if Echidna's drink milk as an adult.
Our cat is vegan and tries to cover the saucer up when we put milk or cream in it.
Our two cats were no way vegan, butcher shop meat I brought home from work, eggs and bacon was a favourite. They used to drink powdered milk when they were younger but they grew out of it.

They liked most fish, but tried to rip up the floor tiles trying to bury a tin of tuna we put down for a feed. I don't blame them I do not like tuna either

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My family and I live in the southern hemisphere and we are not dairy intolerant. Come to think of it I do not know anyone who is in our circle of people we mix are.

I must admit I do not drink plain milk anymore, but this was due to the milk that was available in the town we moved to years ago coming in plastic bags. I never have liked cream either for some reason, but it is not to do with being allergic to it.

Edit: Typo
I assume that the ability to tolerate lactose comes from keeping cows and being able to store 'cow juice' at cooler temperatures without a fridge.. Those with lactose intolerance find goats' milk more tolerable perhaps becaue their ancestors kept and milked goats.
Fortunately we can buy our milk in glass bottles although I wish I could get in unpasturised too!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there such a thing as cheese with bacon in it???
If so where can I find it? And if not I will invent it.
When I used to eat a bacon sarnie I always put cheese in it but I do not know of any cheese that has bacon added to it

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hedgehogs like milk too. Our cat is vegan and tries to cover the saucer up when we put milk or cream in it.

Never give Hedgehogs milk, it can give them diarrhoea, give them plain water in a shallow bowl instead.