What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hope it’s been a good day - took me ages to read all your entries!
I’ve been seriously stress busting today with my Pilates class, then started a mindfulness eating course ( part of my Headspace app) as well as my regular mindfulness, and did more walking. 2 family members have got nasty fluey/ cold bug and wanted to be left to rest and I’m not back at work just yet so enjoyed taking time out!
Brunch - after Pilates - cheese omelette followed by small amount of hc choc log
Dinner salmon in lemon butter served with cauliflower cheese, followed by spoonful of lc lemon and lime mousse and fage yoghurt.
Have a good evening all.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 again— would you share your very green spinach/broccoli soup ingredients? Broth or cream-of? I already miss my cabbage borscht and my winter squash stew!
@Chook you rock! One day if I ever stop taking my “every 12 hrs with large meal” (not likely: saves lives miracle drug!) cardiac med, I might be able to do “TMAD”... as it is I have to fudge the 12-hr interval so I get a longer overnight fast

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m missing a chunk of this thread - about 20 posts made between 4hr and 10mins ago, simply vanished so sorry if I’ve missed something.
Re buffet warmers/ hostess trolley I Freecycled a fully operational 1970’s original one a few months back. It was my mum’s pride and joy but I never used it, maybe I should have tried.

Looking after the girls again today so continuing the ‘salmon and gammon’ menu we had scrambled egg and smoked salmon for breakfast ( I had 1/2 avocado too and coffee&cream)
Lunch: ham salad sandwich for them (told them it was thin gammon) I had similar made with another Dr Almond roll and a sliced Santini tomato and mustard but I got bored with it 1/2 way through. Can’t imagine how I ate this for a packed lunch pretty much every day for 40 years. Didn’t finish it but had a lc coconut bar, I love these.

Feeling a bit under par today, bgs ok so far, just feel a bit nauseous so will skip dinner.

@maglil55 I hope you are ok

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @maglil55 and also @Goonergal for the advice about HC batons. I dont know 2hy since they are a premium (priced) chocolate their labelling should be so unreliable. Tbh I prefer Lindt 90 anyway and my you gest son bought me FIVE bars. Bless him.
My food today is:
Breakfast: 1 slice HiLo toast lotsreal butter. Tea.
Lunch: Can mackrell and one small avocado. 1 dark choc florentine and tea.
Supper: Roasted aubergine, red onion and tomatoes with grated parmesan.
Afters maybe LoCal jellyor may road test a HC baton.
Curious @ianpspurs about your post Christmas clear out do you not like any choc? Maybe you were a Cadbury boy I used to love a Crunchie! Since Kraft took over everyone said Dairy Milk never tasted the same. Sad because it was an iconic British brand.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @maglil55 and also @Goonergal for the advice about HC batons. I dont know 2hy since they are a premium (priced) chocolate their labelling should be so unreliable. Tbh I prefer Lindt 90 anyway and my you gest son bought me FIVE bars. Bless him.
My food today is:
Breakfast: 1 slice HiLo toast lotsreal butter. Tea.
Lunch: Can mackrell and one small avocado. 1 dark choc florentine and tea.
Supper: Roasted aubergine, red onion and tomatoes with grated parmesan.
Afters maybe LoCal jellyor may road test a HC baton.
Curious @ianpspurs about your post Christmas clear out do you not like any choc? Maybe you were a Cadbury boy I used to love a Crunchie! Since Kraft took over everyone said Dairy Milk never tasted the same. Sad because it was an iconic British brand.
Not a big eater of chocolate at any time. Still have a very large bag of Callebaut 100% to make CCBs from. I need to be honest with myself - never going to like most of that stuff. The CCBs are an attempt to make a Twix like bar with high fibre. Texture/mouthfeel more than sweetness is major problem I have with LC desserts

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ahh..you are more a Mars choc person? Only teasing I dont know what CCB means.
I was never a big choc head but knew what I liked which might be a Bounty Dark, a Crunchie or a Walnut Whip maybe two or three times a week. Trouble is as soon as you know you cant ever eat these things its a very different story BUT luckily I do realky like dark choc and Lindt 90 is my fave choice. I am not interested in any desserts.

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 again— would you share your very green spinach/broccoli soup ingredients? Broth or cream-of? I already miss my cabbage borscht and my winter squash stew!
@Chook you rock! One day if I ever stop taking my “every 12 hrs with large meal” (not likely: saves lives miracle drug!) cardiac med, I might be able to do “TMAD”... as it is I have to fudge the 12-hr interval so I get a longer overnight fast
No problem. This is one soup I make myself. I use the IP because it's quicker. I start by making my chicken stock. I use about 6 drumsticks and thighs. Chop down an onion (I use the white onion) and saute in a little butter. Chuck in the drumsticks and thighs and brown a little. Add about 2 pints water and I also tend to throw in a couple of vegetable stock cubes and one of the chicken stock pots. Not sure if you have them. They're little jellied pots of stock?if not a chicken stock cube is fine. I then set the IP to manual, full pressure for 35 - 40 mins and natural release. You can easily do this on a stove top it just takes longer to get a good stock. I never season it until I can taste it once the lid comes off.
Season to taste.
Remove the chicken and bones from the pot. I then pop equal amounts of broccoli (I tend to use tenderstem) and leaf spinach to the pot. About 500g spinach - depends how much I can fit in. If there is a lot of spinach let it wilt down a bit before resetting the IP to manual and full pressure for about 6 mins. While this is going on I strip the chicken from the bones.
Quick release this time. If the stock is too strong dilute a little. It's a case of keep tasting. Last phase is to blend it. I put a fair bit of the chicken back in and blend that too but I also keep bits of shredded chicken back to add into the blended soup. You might need to dilute a little more once it is blended.
After this I just portion it and freeze but usually keep 2 portions out - one to have straight away and one for next day. I hear it first then add cream at the end to taste.
It sounds a lot of faffing about but it is very simple and very quick especially under pressure. It is also a very tasty soup.

These are the stock pots I'm referring to. They just give you a stronger stock.
https://www.knorr.com/uk/knorr-products/stock-pots/chicken-stock-pot.html

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m missing a chunk of this thread - about 20 posts made between 4hr and 10mins ago, simply vanished so sorry if I’ve missed something.
Re buffet warmers/ hostess trolley I Freecycled a fully operational 1970’s original one a few months back. It was my mum’s pride and joy but I never used it, maybe I should have tried.

Looking after the girls again today so continuing the ‘salmon and gammon’ menu we had scrambled egg and smoked salmon for breakfast ( I had 1/2 avocado too and coffee&cream)
Lunch: ham salad sandwich for them (told them it was thin gammon) I had similar made with another Dr Almond roll and a sliced Santini tomato and mustard but I got bored with it 1/2 way through. Can’t imagine how I ate this for a packed lunch pretty much every day for 40 years. Didn’t finish it but had a lc coconut bar, I love these.

Feeling a bit under par today, bgs ok so far, just feel a bit nauseous so will skip dinner.

@maglil55 I hope you are ok
I feel a bit better today. Legs are behaving better but I was the same- felt a bit nauseous. Seems to have passed now.
My sister had a hostess trolley which passed to my sister in law and she uses it for her round at Christmas. The buffet serves were a better buy for me as I really wanted the individual compartments rather than the keep warm underneath bit.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know about it until @Chook told me some time ago and I've had the little jug of cream a few times now.

I always ask for cream in Costa too, they never raise an eyebrow. Pret on the other hand are not always able to oblige, depending on whether they’ve poured the cream into the airator thing or not.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all hope it’s been a good day - took me ages to read all your entries!
I’ve been seriously stress busting today with my Pilates class, then started a mindfulness eating course ( part of my Headspace app) as well as my regular mindfulness, and did more walking. 2 family members have got nasty fluey/ cold bug and wanted to be left to rest and I’m not back at work just yet so enjoyed taking time out!
Brunch - after Pilates - cheese omelette followed by small amount of hc choc log
Dinner salmon in lemon butter served with cauliflower cheese, followed by spoonful of lc lemon and lime mousse and fage yoghurt.
Have a good evening all.
I got my final class booking in this morning at 8am on the dot for all the classes starting back next week. Must admit I'll be glad to get back.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All!

B: Happy Eggs have started doing a GF scrambled egg and bacon breakfast pot.
We got one as a trial and shared it. A bit small and a bit salty, and no one ever puts enough butter in their eggs nowadays ;) but it made Mr B’s eyes light up as a 4am breakfast option.

L: a pot of mint tea and a couple of chicken livers in half a portion of oomi noodles.

Note to self: next time you reheat chick livers in microwave, do so in a container with a lid that won’t blow off when they explode.

D: DietDoc chicken in feta cream pesto and olives.
And a couple of Hotel Choc Xmas chocs.

Too much food!!! Am stuffed. Hope I can sleep tonight... :D:hungry::wacky::D

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all
Todays offerings have continued the lemon theme - its probably my favourite fruit taste and for the last 5 years or so Ill happily suck on a lemon which now tastes pretty sweet to me - strange how tastes change.
Breakfats and Lunch were both 1 LC lemon shortbread with a lactofree cappuccino
Snacks - 15 smoked almonds, 30g garlic & herb goats cheese, 5 dark chocolate chefs buttons
Dinner - trout fillet baked in foil with a topping of some dairy free pesto, salad made of lambslettuce, rocket,4 sugar snap peas, 1/2 small avocado & lemon juice. 1 tsp Stokes garlic mayonnaise
1075 cals, 14g carbs and a miserable 10g fibre

Ps- maybe we could have a “ what unused kitchen gadgets are lurking in your cupboards?” thread - Ive got too many yet still I lust for more!
I'll have a full inventory once I finish the latest cupboard cull.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps- maybe we could have a “ what unused kitchen gadgets are lurking in your cupboards?” thread - Ive got too many yet still I lust for more!

Me too!
Ice cream maker ( cheap one you had to freeze the bowl first) pie maker, and cappuccino maker ( a real pain to clean) juicer ( even more of a pain to clean) All gone now happily.

Reactions: Goonergal

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Breakfast: Hi lo toast and butter
Lunch: Half an avocado and serrano ham on one slice of sourdough . Small low carb brownie with cream.
Dinner: More serrano, olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers stuffed with cream cheese, small piece of Jarlsberg. Raspberries, strawberries and more double cream. with chocolate granola.
Snacks :Montezumas orange and geranium chocolate

All the cream and butter eating seems to have worked, I have put on two pounds! Yeah :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too!
Ice cream maker ( cheap one you had to freeze the bowl first) pie maker, and cappuccino maker ( a real pain to clean) juicer ( even more of a pain to clean) All gone now happily.

Toaster - obvious reasons.

Electronic spiralizer - used a lot at first but now gathering dust.