Need Snack Ideas

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is an app called copymethat. You can add a menu you find on the internet straight into the app. I find it really handy.

Reactions: knoxy55

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I work in a business park which is pretty far removed from civilisation.

My job is.....challenging, mentally and we seem to have either periods of manic activity or great big lulls..

Manic or busy is fine as it distracts me from any huger pangs I feel but in the quiet times I nee something to snack on. I cant eat nuts or seeds but have the occasional pork scratching to hand.

What else can I keep in my work drawer ?.

Thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Incidentally, if fridges are full just get a small cool bag and pop an ice pack in it..

I make up berries and yogurt and take in small cool bag. Like others say, there are some really good97% sausages and quite often on offer in supermarkets.

Ellit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Grab yourself some packs of crispy bacon rashers.Already cooked you can nibble a rasher anytime.I buy from Aldis...m&s. No carbs so very small spike if any.

Reactions: Patrick66

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grab yourself some packs of crispy bacon rashers.Already cooked you can nibble a rasher anytime.I buy from Aldis...m&s. No carbs so very small spike if any.
Always check the ingredients on any packets you buy.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I keep one of the Grenade Carb Killa bars in my bag for ‘emergencies’. They taste lovely (especially the Jaffa or mint ones :hungry:), they are sweetened with Polyols (alcohol sugars) which are a type of carbohydrate that isn’t usually absorbed. I don’t absorb them so they don’t affect my blood sugars but some people find they do. You’d need to test before and two hours after to check. Also they can have a laxative effect if you eat too many :nailbiting:
Thank you for that info.

I really don’t need any more laxatives lol.

Reactions: Rachox

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Most of the Morrison's the best range are LC. I found Sainsbury's the highest. Have tried the muffins they are good.
I don’t have a Sainsbury’s near me so I’m safe. I’ll have a look around

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
Not sure if you get them in the UK but mini pepperoni sticks are very low carb and in Canada we usually get different flavours. I have a couple in the late morning or afternoon after a visit to the gym. There are some brands that do not need to be in the fridge. They work for me when I need a nibble. Wish we could get pork scratchings here.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure if you get them in the UK but mini pepperoni sticks are very low carb and in Canada we usually get different flavours. I have a couple in the late morning or afternoon after a visit to the gym. There are some brands that do not need to be in the fridge. They work for me when I need a nibble. Wish we could get pork scratchings here.
Make your own. Can you get pig skin from your butcher?

D

Deleted member 308541

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Stephen - Can you acquire Pork Rinds, or Chicharron? I know in US, they go by those names. Just a thought.

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
I wouldn't buy protein bars, all the ones I have looked at had unwanted ingredients.

I did make granola bars once. They were very good. I mixed a load of nuts, some lightly toasted with some coconut oil mix well, baked in a low oven. Cut into bars but leave in the tin to cool. Once cooled, remove from tin. Re-cut the bars, wrap in cling film, store in airtight container.

The recipe called for honey which I left out. Next time I will add some lakanto maple syrup flavour (possibly) I don't have a sweet tooth.
How much of each ingredient did you use please?

Reactions: lorraine95

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@knoxy55 I don't remember. I found a recipe online for granola bars. I opted not to use oats. I didn't have all the ingredients specified. I looked at the overall weight of the ingredients then dug around the cupboards for all the nuts and seeds.

I lightly toasted coconut flakes, flaked almonds and sesame seeds. I added chopped walnuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Probably other things as well.

The coconut oil is what holds it together once cooled, so it's important to make sure everything is coated.

Reactions: lorraine95

knoxy55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anything to do with birds or feathers, whether to look at or eat.
@knoxy55 I don't remember. I found a recipe online for granola bars. I opted not to use oats. I didn't have all the ingredients specified. I looked at the overall weight of the ingredients then dug around the cupboards for all the nuts and seeds.

I lightly toasted coconut flakes, flaked almonds and sesame seeds. I added chopped walnuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Probably other things as well.

The coconut oil is what holds it together once cooled, so it's important to make sure everything is coated.
Thank you will have to get some seeds and have the other ingredients will give them a go. How do you record them on you food diary?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you will have to get some seeds and have the other ingredients will give them a go. How do you record them on you food diary?
Look up the carb values for each of the individual ingredients, add them up and divide by the number of bars you make. It's a rough guide because the chance is the bars will be different weights, however, life is too short to weigh each bar and mark with the carb count :)

Edited to correct typo.

RetroHelen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We do collectors toy fairs fairly regularly, so for a packed lunch I take a small zipped cool case with it's plastic ice-block to keep contents cool. Then atop of the ice block, in the cool case, I have one of those kids lunch boxes with small compartments in it.These are different options for the compartments: I have carrot and celery sticks. I have a hard boiled egg, or a small jar (that had a low carb pesto in it once) with a pickled egg in it. Mixed tree nuts, preferably blanched to keep the mineral depleting phytic acid down. 2/3 Cherry tomatoes; another small jar or pot of low carb live eg Greek yoghurt Fage (no added lactose laced powdered milk to thicken it as it's strained to be thick and the live bacteria have eaten the lactose) decanted into a small jar with a samll plastic spoon . Another small pot with 2 forks of saurkraut or a pickled gerkin for different probiotics to the yoghurt. For a treat I have a couple of squares of or 3 big buttons of Chocologic sugar free dark chocolate. Couple of chunks of hard cheese of choice. Cereal-free low carb sausages cooked and chopped from a previous day. A few Blueberries or sour cherries.

Reactions: jjraak

James1013

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I like Spanish omelette / frittata. You can have it cold and add all sorts seasonal veg. Why not add a side salad, home made salsa?
The cool bag mentioned above is a great idea, and avoids fridge politics!

JeanCL

I can eat eggs, ham, cant do olives or celery or cream cheese. We have too many lunch boxes so I will have to see what I can do, Thank you.
There are some very 'cool' mini coolbags around, which have been a lifesaver for me, especially as I don't tolerate cows milk!

DianaMC

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried an experiment for a New Years party contribution of replacing the potatoes in a Spanish tortilla omelette with sliced red pepper and cubed feta cheese (you could maybe substitute cheddar?) it was delicious! The tortilla can be stored in the fridge at home then cut off a slice to have later at work - probably ok at room temperature within a few hours. Or keep in a mini cool box like others have said.

The cocoa yogurt sounds good - I’ve tried stuff like that and it’s quite nice if you miss choc and puds (as I sometimes do). I found it better with something zero sugar mixed in - like Natvia or Zero syrup (although they’re hard to find easily and they vary in ingredient and which are ‘natural’ - in case that matters)

I’m currently experimenting with sugar substitutes, with mixed results. Recently Googled ‘maltitol and flatulence’ - which explained everything about a bloated stomach following eating too many Balance Christmas chocolates (from Holland & Barret)! I think they’re ok if having just one or two, but more than that preferably not on an empty stomach!