What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.6 at 04.15 and 6.3 at 08.30. Feel better now just had my tea and once slice HiLo toast so all good. Thanks for kind comments. @HarrisonK hope your day gets better and you’re not home too late. @DJC3 so thrilled and grateful for your good results as I am sure your nearest and dearest are. You are one brave lady, enjoy life.
@Goonergal enjoy your long weekend. @Emma_369 great results great achievement. The most I can manage is not snacking so well done you.
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, safe and in control.

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Morning all
6.6 this morning which is no surprise after celebratory meal last night, ate too much and far too late but the cause for celebration..... scan was clear!
I have a reprieve and 6 months to enjoy life before next time when the rollercoaster starts again. Feeling light as air today though, everything and everyone is wonderfull ( especially you folks on here)

@PenguinMum sorry to hear you’re having to camp on the sofa with stomach pains, hope you feel better today. Same goes for you @Charis1213
@rhubarb73 I love your terrible poems.

I’m pleased you like my poems DJ. But I suspect you are an easy audience today after your scan. I expect everything is making you smile. And so it should...really happy to read that news this morning.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
5.0 this am very happy as had friends round and nibbled till quite late
@DJC3 I’m so delighted and relieved for you
@Debandez hope surgery meeting goes great I’m sure it will with your enthusiasm!
If anyone is interested my interview from low carb programme which a group of us did including @Goonergal @Debandez and @DJC3 from this thread was released yesterday evening.they seem to be releasing them a few at a time. If you want a peep see:
https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/going-low-carb-helped-michelle-come-off-metformin/
It’s odd seeing yourself on video but hoping it helps spread low carb message so people have all the information needed to make a choice as to if it would suit and help them or not.
Hope everyone has a brilliant Friday.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.6 at 04.15 and 6.3 at 08.30. Feel better now just had my tea and once slice HiLo toast so all good. Thanks for kind comments. @HarrisonK hope your day gets better and you’re not home too late. @DJC3 so thrilled and grateful for your good results as I am sure your nearest and dearest are. You are one brave lady, enjoy life.
@Goonergal enjoy your long weekend. @Emma_369 great results great achievement. The most I can manage is not snacking so well done you.
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, safe and in control.

I’m the same as you on the not snacking limit to my fasts, and even that is quite hard at times.

As for being brave - I’m not, I’m a complete wuss but my family are fab and the Royal Marsden is a magical place so I feel blessed to have been referred there, everything about it fills you with optimism and hope.

Glad your tum is better after your tea and toast, hope you can sleep in bed again tonight. Our sofa is quite comfy but I’ve slept on my daughter’s before and that was terrible. Not helped in the slightest by her cat boxing my head all night.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m pleased you like my poems DJ. But I suspect you are an easy audience today after your scan. I expect everything is making you smile. And so it should...really happy to read that news this morning.

Maybe so, but your poem really did make me smile, looking forward to tomorrow’s - pressure on

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
5.0 this am very happy as had friends round and nibbled till quite late
@DJC3 I’m so delighted and relieved for you
@Debandez hope surgery meeting goes great I’m sure it will with your enthusiasm!
If anyone is interested my interview from low carb programme which a group of us did including @Goonergal @Debandez and @DJC3 from this thread was released yesterday evening.they seem to be releasing them a few at a time. If you want a peep see:
https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/going-low-carb-helped-michelle-come-off-metformin/
It’s odd seeing yourself on video but hoping it helps spread low carb message so people have all the information needed to make a choice as to if it would suit and help them or not.
Hope everyone has a brilliant Friday.

Great fbg after a late night nibbling.
Can’t wait to watch your video

Reactions: ziggy_w

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Charis1213 knee pain is horrible hope you can find some relief with @trick60 s suggestion. I have used Ibuleve High Strength gel with some success.
thank you , i had knee pain before i started lchf but it wasn't like this at all, this is like a burning pain and really bad that it keeps me awake, when i get up out of bed and move it the pain goes away . I think because inflammation has gone down cos of the carb cutting i am now feeling the pain of the injury as I knocked my knee a few years back .

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
§

Have they tried taking it out of the back of your hand? I have similar problems with blood tests, so the lady at my GP surgery just takes it from my hand instead of plunging around with the needle until I nearly faint and end up with my head between my knees! Huge sympathy!
Thanks Providence...the phlebotomist at our surgery usually gets it first time...but I always seem to have the same issues when I go to the hospital clinic

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all.

@DJC3 -- I was thinking of you and I am so very happy that the scan came out all clear. Hope you enjoyed your celebrations.
@Charis1213 -- Hugs. Hope your knee pain lessens and you'll sleep much better tonight.
@rhubarb73 -- I second what @DJC3 says. I love your poems too.

Fasting blood sugars were 4.7 today.

Have a good start into the weekend all.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 wondering If you getting back to Headspace and mindfulness has stopped your bgs rising too much with stress? I’ve really increased back up on mindfulness again this week and my scores have def lowered back again after the Christmas stress and slight elevation for me of my fbgs over that time - important thing though is to keep going when you’re stressed it’s harder to make time to manage it! All thinking of you x

Think you might be right. I’ve been doing 15 min mindfulness meditation in the day and putting one of their ‘sleepcasts’ on at bedtime, they really do seem to work I’m sleeping so well and waking up refreshed.
I love the chap’s voice, it’s so soothing isn’t it?

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m the same as you on the not snacking limit to my fasts, and even that is quite hard at times.

As for being brave - I’m not, I’m a complete wuss but my family are fab and the Royal Marsden is a magical place so I feel blessed to have been referred there, everything about it fills you with optimism and hope.

Glad your tum is better after your tea and toast, hope you can sleep in bed again tonight. Our sofa is quite comfy but I’ve slept on my daughter’s before and that was terrible. Not helped in the slightest by her cat boxing my head all night.
Fantastic news on the scan front and richly deserved celebration. Eclectic set of posts today with pain causing sleep problems for @PenguinMum @HarrisonK and @Charis1213 so hugs all round there. @karen8967 and @philchap1 were those levels slightly low for type 1? - hope no problems. @Emma_369 great news with the fast - do you test ketones as that will be fascinating for you I suspect.? @rhubarb73 loving the poetry vibe. I am still on end of season tour so no testing despite having 4 - four - kits I could use. (I was 4.8 today in 2016 and 4.9 for the day, did 20 minutes HIIT on bike, ate 100 gms mashed potato with evening meal and was 4.8 next morning.) @Bubbsie long day yesterday but good numbers today. Hope you relax and refresh today.
Have entirely wonderful days if at all possible.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all researchers into a little known and published vitamin Qb and it's health benefits.

A gentle 6.3 on my meter this morning.
Well folks the medical appointments are still stacking up and me's is still causing a few minor problems. My mates chaos and mayhem on the other hand......
Be good folks have a great weekend and be nice to a traffic warden hehehehe

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs when I first got diagnosed I bought a pot of ketone strips to wee on but question the accuracy of them. In the first 3 weeks of LCHF it always used to put my ketones around 4 which I didn’t know whether was good or to be concerned with. It just gives you a colour range and says it has to be after exactly a set amount of seconds as after a couple of minutes every strip seems to end up the same colour so in the end I gave up. I had looked into blood ketone monitors but at the minute with how many BG strips I was using daily in honesty I didn’t want to fork out for one :banghead: but now I feel a little more comfortable and less obsessive with my constant BG tests the money I’m saving on strips I could well treat myself to a new gadget :D

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Fantastic news on the scan front and richly deserved celebration. Eclectic set of posts today with pain causing sleep problems for @PenguinMum @HarrisonK and @Charis1213 so hugs all round there. @karen8967 and @philchap1 were those levels slightly low for type 1? - hope no problems. @Emma_369 great news with the fast - do you test ketones as that will be fascinating for you I suspect.? @rhubarb73 loving the poetry vibe. I am still on end of season tour so no testing despite having 4 - four - kits I could use. (I was 4.8 today in 2016 and 4.9 for the day, did 20 minutes HIIT on bike, ate 100 gms mashed potato with evening meal and was 4.8 next morning.) @Bubbsie long day yesterday but good numbers today. Hope you relax and refresh today.
Have entirely wonderful days if at all possible.
Between 4 and 7 is fine (Unless driving)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 which is amazing as it was my best friends cheese, pate, nibbles and wine birthday evening and it went on until 11.30pm!

Here is today's social media post. Please feel free to comment. Any advice appreciated. I meet with PM to take this all forward on Monday. Excited.

I have some very exciting news, i may have already mentioned it earlier, but I need a little input from my friends please if you have a minute to spare.

I've joined my surgery's Patient Participation Group 3 months ago, to see if i can perhaps help at all with the little knowledge I've built up over the past year. From this has come something very special. The Drs and the practice manager are very much behind me and behind me helping other diabetics where I can. Sometimes all you need is another diabetic to talk to.

My amazing PM explained to both the CCG and Blackpool council that i would be interested in doing talks for diabetics and pre diabetics on what you could eat to help control blood sugars, avoid medication in many cases (sometimes it can be beneficial for various reasons) and enable weight loss etc. There is currently an initiative to signpost patients to what is called ‘social prescribing’ – things other than medication which will help improve patients lifestyles and their health.

'Everyone is interested in working with you to put you in touch with patients and the council are interested in helping you to find a space to do that in' she said. Music to my ears. The surgery are offering facilitation support (together with the council) and contacting the PMs at other surgeries to ask if they want to invite people.

***If any of you know someone who might be interested please let me know and I will give you more info as soon as the details are confirmed***

So basically I'm going to give a talk in the community, some time in February, (venue to be confirmed) on my journey with putting my type 2 diabetes into remission and my incredible weight loss (still can't quite believe it!!!). If anyone is interested in hearing it! I may yet be talking to myself! This is VERY MUCH out of my comfort zone. I HATE public speaking with a passion. I get tongue tied. I get my words mixed up. I stutter and stumble, i almost internally combust, yet I am passionate about doing this. If it helps just one person I will be more than happy.

I feel there is little out there by way of support, due to financial constraints. I felt very lost, upset, angry with myself on diagnosis. I also was terrified as I have seen first hand what the consequences of diabetes can be with my beloved mum. For her it was progressive. She ended up injecting insulin. Her sugars were not controlled and complications set in.

In my experience you are diagnosed, offered medication and 6 monthly check ups and told it's going to be progressive, which sent shivers down my spine. Plus a one day DESMOND course (type 2s). I was given a stack of booklets. And sadly that was it. There is a meeting held once a month for diabetics (at the Tesco superstore) from across Blackpool Fylde and Wyre, but at my last one only 10 attended. I was told a couple more that usually attend were on holiday. So not many at all.

HELP PLEASE

***If anyone has been reading my blog enteries over the past 2 weeks i would love your input as to which bits they found the most interesting. I would like to incorporate weight loss info in the presentation too***

If the first meeting goes well and is a success I would love to do one a month maybe. Or every 3 months at least.

Any help greatly appreciated.

From little things acorns grow .