What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

A bit late posting. 4.5 today.

As I'm getting my hba1c results on Tuesday, I took a new photo yesterday that's in my avatar now (instead of the maple leaf). It's to pair with my "before" photo (before diagnosis & low carb) and upcoming hba1c results for another forum. I have avoided having my photo taken in recent years but I rather like this one (my first selfie!). I still would like to lose more weight but daily living is much easier now. I feel better and younger than I have in years (63 at the start of March.)

Here's my before and after - the before photo was taken at an event 2 days before my diabetes diagnosis (which was a complete shock for me, no symptoms or family history) near the end of this past June. The newer photo was yesterday.
Wow you have done brilliant well done

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quote for today
FB_IMG_1546372452492.jpg

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same meter and take readings from time to time - actually have absolutely no idea what use they are but it keeps me from harming livestock while I do it.
Guardian running with this story https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...s-cut-heart-disease-risk-landmark-study-finds which may shake a few BUT I ran 30 gms chia seeds, 45 gms flaxseeds and 2 avocados through analysis and found 37 gms fibre and 20 gms carbs. Looks like my salad, with chia seeds topping, and a CCB + flaxseed crispbread just about do the trick for fibre.
I would add that my bg levels are positively uncontrolled compared to many who are properly LC so I am not a good guide of any of this,
G
Hi everyone,

As I'm getting my hba1c results on Tuesday, I took a new photo yesterday that's in my avatar now (instead of the maple leaf). It's to pair with my "before" photo (before diagnosis & low carb) and upcoming hba1c results for another forum. I have avoided having my photo taken but I rather like this one (my first selfie!). I still would like to lose more weight but daily living is much easier now. I feel better and younger than I have in years (63 at the start of March.)

Here's my before and after - the before photo was taken at an event 2 days before my diabetes diagnosis (which was a complete shock for me, no symptoms or family history) near the end of this past June. The newer photo was yesterday.
Just wow! You look amazing! Well done you

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
5.0 this am very happy as had friends round and nibbled till quite late
@DJC3 I’m so delighted and relieved for you
@Debandez hope surgery meeting goes great I’m sure it will with your enthusiasm!
If anyone is interested my interview from low carb programme which a group of us did including @Goonergal @Debandez and @DJC3 from this thread was released yesterday evening.they seem to be releasing them a few at a time. If you want a peep see:
https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/going-low-carb-helped-michelle-come-off-metformin/
It’s odd seeing yourself on video but hoping it helps spread low carb message so people have all the information needed to make a choice as to if it would suit and help them or not.
Hope everyone has a brilliant Friday.
@shelley262 I have now watched the clip and its terrific. Of course I am also a convert to this woe but what stood out was the ease of conviction you imparted to the camera. You were like a Professor of Life and a real natural. It was powerful.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

was 4.4 this morning

the new oil tank is in and connected and the heating oil has arrived :joyful: such a relief to have that job over with. Volunteering all day today since we had to be at home all day yesterday.

Hope your day treated you kindly :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

As I'm getting my hba1c results on Tuesday, I took a new photo yesterday that's in my avatar now (instead of the maple leaf). It's to pair with my "before" photo (before diagnosis & low carb) and upcoming hba1c results for another forum. I have avoided having my photo taken but I rather like this one (my first selfie!). I still would like to lose more weight but daily living is much easier now. I feel better and younger than I have in years (63 at the start of March.)

Wow your transformation is amazing very very well done and I have to say you look way younger too on your current photo. Almost like a different person I’d imagine some people walk past you as they have the old image in their minds. I know that I still find people walk past me even though I’ve now been maintaining my low weight for about 5 months. Wishing you the best of luck too for your hbaca1 test too look forward to hearing your results I’m sure with your current bgs they should be good.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for the lovely comments. I'm so glad my friend told me about this site and I found this forum and thread. It's so supportive.

Kudos to those of you like @Debandez, @shelley262, @Rachox and ,@Goonergal and everyone at the Low Carb meetup (I hope I haven't left anyone out) who are spreading the word far and wide about how LCHF helps Type 2 diabetes.

@Debandez
Your story is up on Diet Doctor. Congratulations it's wonderful!
https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-debra-handled-her-type-2-diabetes-diagnosis

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Good timing! :) I can't control the fact that it's a beautiful sunny day outside and I want to go out and play but it's also very cold. I wish I were somewhere like in your picture but I can't control that either.

I'm grateful that I don't HAVE to go out into the cold, and that I had a very nice visit with 4 nice neighbors downstairs in the lobby an hour or so ago. Then came home to a hot barbecue lunch.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good evening all :)

was 4.4 this morning

the new oil tank is in and connected and the heating oil has arrived :joyful: such a relief to have that job over with. Volunteering all day today since we had to be at home all day yesterday.

Hope your day treated you kindly :)

Yay! I'm glad that is all done. I'm trying to picture an oil tank and I can picture a propane tank and I'm wondering if the two are anything alike.

upload_2019-1-11_13-8-7.jpeg
images

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good timing! :) I can't control the fact that it's a beautiful sunny day outside and I want to go out and play but it's also very cold. I wish I were somewhere like in your picture but I can't control that either.

I'm grateful that I don't HAVE to go out into the cold, and that I had a very nice visit with 4 nice neighbors downstairs in the lobby an hour or so ago. Then came home to a hot barbecue lunch.
I wish i was somewhere like in the picture too saskia glad youve had a nice day with your neighbours and that you havent had to go out in the cold ive just had my tea so feeling very full and now i am just gonna veg out on the couch and watch tv all night

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Caresensduo from spirit healthcare is the one I use - and also do my bgs with it too - but only test my ketones once a week as 1 pound per strip. Meter comes with a few free ones. Think @Goonergal researched cheaper ketone meter strips and I think has another meter? @Goonergal any ideas? Below is link to bg and ketones meter I use it seems to reflect my hbaca1 too last time bothvery close see
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/site/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/CareSens-Dual-Fact-sheet.pdf

Thanks @shelley262 @Emma_369 take a look at this thread:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/ketone-testing-meters.157595/

I ended up getting 2 things (I also use the CareSens Dual that Shelley mentioned for ketones, but wanted a couple of cheaper things to test more frequently at one point):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragon-Honor-Breathalyzer-detects-Ketogenic/dp/B07GGQK9HL

https://www.valuemed.co.uk/products/free-gk-meter-when-you-buy-50-on-call-blood-ketone-strips-here - no idea if the offer is still on

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Wow! Fantastic @Chronicle_Cat what a transformation!