What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,

A bit late posting. 4.5 today.

As I'm getting my hba1c results on Tuesday, I took a new photo yesterday that's in my avatar now (instead of the maple leaf). It's to pair with my "before" photo (before diagnosis & low carb) and upcoming hba1c results for another forum. I have avoided having my photo taken but I rather like this one (my first selfie!). I still would like to lose more weight but daily living is much easier now. I feel better and younger than I have in years (63 at the start of March.)

Here's my before and after - the before photo was taken at an event 2 days before my diabetes diagnosis (which was a complete shock for me, no symptoms or family history) near the end of this past June. The newer photo was yesterday.
Amazing

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay! I'm glad that is all done. I'm trying to picture an oil tank and I can picture a propane tank and I'm wondering if the two are anything alike.

View attachment 30602
images

The ones I've seen are more like this one but more oval shaped at the end, less like a submarine :) Definitely doesn't look an ear of corn! :)

I grew up in a house with a double oil tank in the basement - like 2 stuck together (see picture below of single one). When we moved in, we found somebody had put a mattress on top of it!! They always were found in basements, never outside.

Do you have basements in Georgia? (I've heard they don't have them in the southern US and never saw any when I was there.) Almost all buildings in Canada have basements because of our winters for insulation (except in the Arctic - since they have permafrost, the ground is permanently frozen only a couple of inches down. Towns way up there like Iqaluit have no basements and above ground utility corridors for water and sewage because of the permanently frozen ground.)

Most people here don't have oil tanks anymore since the oil crisis of the 1970s. Since Canada is one of the largest natural gas producers in the world, it is cheaper than oil. so most people switched years ago. (We produce oil too but it comes from the Alberta tar sands so it's more expensive and messy to extract. Due to regional politics, eastern Canada doesn't use oil from western Canada but uses imported oil.)

Attachments

• oil tank.jpg
    oil tank.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here you go, @Chronicle_Cat --

images

Lots of people in Georgia and Alabama have basements. I think it depends on the age of the house sometimes, or the size of the house. Both houses I have lived in had partially underground basements, with outside entrances, housing the furnace and hot-water heater and used for storing lawn mowers and other yard equipment and also good as tornado shelters. In one house it was basically what is called "crawl space", you couldn't stand up straight but you didn't actually have to crawl. In the other house we could walk upright. I've also been in lots of houses that had fully finished basements, with steps down from inside the house, and rec rooms and/or bedrooms and a bathroom. or laundry room.

In some neighborhoods I have known in Alabama houses don't have basements but are built on concrete slabs. I don't know why, except I've heard it costs less to built a house on a concrete slab than to dig a basement. But I would want a basement for tornadoes!

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here you go, @Chronicle_Cat --

images

Lots of people in Georgia and Alabama have basements. I think it depends on the age of the house sometimes, or the size of the house. Both houses I have lived in had partially underground basements, with outside entrances, housing the furnace and hot-water heater and used for storing lawn mowers and other yard equipment and also good as tornado shelters. In one house it was basically what is called "crawl space", you couldn't stand up straight but you didn't actually have to crawl. In the other house we could walk upright. I've also been in lots of houses that had fully finished basements, with steps down from inside the house, and rec rooms and/or bedrooms and a bathroom. or laundry room.

In some neighborhoods I have known in Alabama houses don't have basements but are built on concrete slabs. I don't know why, except I've heard it costs less to built a house on a concrete slab than to dig a basement. But I would want a basement for tornadoes!

Love the yellow submarine!

I was specifically thinking of Florida (which I've spent more time in the other southern states). I know in the Florida Keys they don't have basements because they are on coral. (My parents actually owned an elevated house in the keys on stilts, in their area all the houses were all like that because of potential flooding from hurricanes. On the mainland, their house didn't have a basement (concrete slab) but that was probably a cost saving measure. I agree with you about tornadoes -the best place is underground. I assume Oklahoma has lots of them due to the frequency - my grandparents in Iowa had a tornado shelter like the one in the Wizard of Oz with an outside entrance.

I remember visiting Scotland many years ago before everyone had central heating. It is fairly much the norm in the UK now? (I've been to Scotland a number of times but never to England, Wales or northern Ireland.)

However, everyone in Scotland then seemed to have an electric fireplace heater. One B&B I stayed in Oban, the owner yelled at another visitor who grew up in the tropics (Canal Zone) for turning on the electric fireplace on before it was cold enough! (it was in early September).

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Hi everyone,

A bit late posting. 4.5 today.

As I'm getting my hba1c results on Tuesday, I took a new photo yesterday that's in my avatar now (instead of the maple leaf). It's to pair with my "before" photo (before diagnosis & low carb) and upcoming hba1c results for another forum. I have avoided having my photo taken but I rather like this one (my first selfie!). I still would like to lose more weight but daily living is much easier now. I feel better and younger than I have in years (63 at the start of March.)

Here's my before and after - the before photo was taken at an event 2 days before my diabetes diagnosis (which was a complete shock for me, no symptoms or family history) near the end of this past June. The newer photo was yesterday.

Spectacular well done you go girl

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 this morning , but tested twice first reading was 6.7 from 3rd finger then tried second finger and was 6.4 , must be different blood lol .

Oh well I'll go with the second number of 6.4.
Away for the weekend going to Ripon to visit the museums . I'll still be on here though :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone for the lovely comments. I'm so glad my friend told me about this site and I found this forum and thread. It's so supportive.

Kudos to those of you like @Debandez, @shelley262, @Rachox and ,@Goonergal and everyone at the Low Carb meetup (I hope I haven't left anyone out) who are spreading the word far and wide about how LCHF helps Type 2 diabetes.

@Debandez
Your story is up on Diet Doctor. Congratulations it's wonderful!
https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-debra-handled-her-type-2-diabetes-diagnosis
Thank you for your kind words. I had no idea it was up. @Goonergal informed me. I was so surprised as I had literally only just sent it to them this week and thought nothing more about it! I'm delighted. I think real life stories always inspire. For our Birmingham event last year we put together an inspirational stories booklet. Lots of us sharing our journeys. It's incredibly powerful and if anyone would like to read it just let me know.