Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m afraid they’re not, no vegan I know would touch them as they are still animals. Personally, I love spicy locusts, a friend of mine makes them. Nice and crunchy :)
in that case fungi (or funghi) are also off the menu since they are not classed as plants but are living entities. Algae and protozoa are similarly excluded. Say NO to the veggie burger.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
in that case fungi (or funghi) are also off the menu since they are not classed as plants but are living entities. Algae and protozoa are similarly excluded. Say NO to the veggie burger.

In no particular order:
Algae are plants.
Insects have a brain.
Plants are living entities.
Fungi aren’t plants, nor are they animals. They are a separate kingdom.

Reactions: Marie 2

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I thought of this thread last night as I enjoyed my fake burger in a fake bun ;)

219772A3-D6C8-44D6-BBE6-DF8AFB61B559.jpeg

Reactions: Marie 2

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In no particular order:
Algae are plants.
Insects have a brain.
Plants are living entities.
Fungi aren’t plants, nor are they animals. They are a separate kingdom.
Apparently
Algae are photosynthetic creatures. They are neither plant, animal or fungi. Many algae are single celled, however some species are multicellular. Many, but not all of red and brown algae are multicellular.

So they are creatures.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agree 100% but unfortunately that is what seems to be happening.
Personal choice is slowly but surely being removed and we are being “told” what we should eat by those with an agenda.

Bulkbiker, come on! Since when have you ever done what you are 'told'? :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Apparently
Algae are photosynthetic creatures. They are neither plant, animal or fungi. Many algae are single celled, however some species are multicellular. Many, but not all of red and brown algae are multicellular.

So they are creatures.

For people complaining that they’re being told what they can and can’t eat, you’re doing an awful lot of telling ME what I can and can’t eat...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For people complaining that they’re being told what they can and can’t eat, you’re doing an awful lot of telling ME what I can’t eat...
If you read the EAT Lancet report on the future of food that was presented to the WHO,, the EU, the UK Committee for Climate Change, the ADA, DUK the AHA , and government bodies around the world including India,this last few weeks, then you will realise that there are vegans dictating not only to me but also the whole world what we will be restricted by law and taxation policies by said authorities then what I said to you is small potatoes compared to what will be in place worldwide by 2030. I am just trying to establish in my mind what a vegan considers to be ok and what is a nono for them, since the EAT Lancet is almost vegan. I would venture that the boot is on the other foot, and I was wanting a vegan such as yourself to advise me on what my options may be as an omnivore in this new Utopia. When all the dairy and meat and wool and leather sources have been culled, then what would be considered ok to carry on a fluffy existance under the protection of the Brave New World

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If you read the EAT Lancet report on the future of food that was presented to the WHO,, the EU, the UK Committee for Climate Change, the ADA, DUK the AHA , and government bodies around the world including India,this last few weeks, then you will realise that there are vegans dictating not only to me but also the whole world what we will be restricted by law and taxation policies by said authorities then what I said to you is small potatoes compared to what will be in place worldwide by 2030. I am just trying to establish in my mind what a vegan considers to be ok and what is a nono for them, since the EAT Lancet is almost vegan. I would venture that the boot is on the other foot, and I was wanting a vegan such as yourself to advise me on what my options may be as an omnivore in this new Utopia. When all the dairy and meat and wool and leather sources have been culled, then what would be considered ok to carry on a fluffy existance under the protection of the Brave New World
I’m not a vegan and have never claimed to be. I’m not even a vegetarian. I don’t eat meat or cow’s dairy as I’m epically allergic to them, a fact I’ve been very open about in many threads throughout the forum for the entire time I’ve been a member. It says quite clearly in my sig that I’m pescatarian. I happily eat fish, eggs, and goat and sheep dairy. However I equally happily eat vegan fake meat, because it’s nice and I like it. But this constant derision of people that don’t/can’t/won’t base their diets on bacon is getting very boring.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I believe everyone should be allowed to follow the diet they want. I just want it out there that low carb is not necessarily the answer for diabetics. There is research out there that supports this. Here is a few of the more recent announcements.

Increasing your fat intake by 40 percent decreases the “good” bacteria in your gut.
Participants in the high-fat group saw increased proinflammatory microbiota.
(Wan Y, Wang F, Yuan J, et al. Effects of dietary fat on gut microbiota and faecal metabolites, and their relationship with cardiometabolic risk factors: a 6-month randomized controlled-feeding trial. Gut . Published online February 19, 2019.)

Researchers tracked daily carbohydrate intake in 14,000 diet records from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study and monitored incidences of heart arrhythmias. Those who consumed the least amount of carbohydrate increased the chance of developing AFib by 18 percent, compared with those who consumed the most carbohydrate. AFib is associated with a five-fold increased risk for stroke and may lead to heart failure.
(American College of Cardiology’s 68th Annual Scientific Session/Zhuang X. U-shaped relationship between carbohydrate intake proportion and incident atrial fibrillation. Poster presented at: 68th American College of Cardiology’s Annual Scientific Session. March 16-18, 2019; New Orleans, LA. )

A Plant-Based Dietary Intervention Improves Beta-Cell Function and Insulin Resistance in Overweight Adults: A 16-Week Randomized Clinical Trial
( Nutrients 2018 , 10 (2), 189; https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10020189, Abstract)

Reactions: WuTwo

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I just want it out there that low carb is not necessarily the answer for diabetics. There is research out there that supports this.

FAR outweighed by those who know better. Not in the slightest bit interested

Reactions: Shas3

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I believe everyone should be allowed to follow the diet they want. I just want it out there that low carb is not necessarily the answer for diabetics. There is research out there that supports this. Here is a few of the more recent announcements.

Increasing your fat intake by 40 percent decreases the “good” bacteria in your gut.
Participants in the high-fat group saw increased proinflammatory microbiota.
(Wan Y, Wang F, Yuan J, et al. Effects of dietary fat on gut microbiota and faecal metabolites, and their relationship with cardiometabolic risk factors: a 6-month randomized controlled-feeding trial. Gut . Published online February 19, 2019.)

Researchers tracked daily carbohydrate intake in 14,000 diet records from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study and monitored incidences of heart arrhythmias. Those who consumed the least amount of carbohydrate increased the chance of developing AFib by 18 percent, compared with those who consumed the most carbohydrate. AFib is associated with a five-fold increased risk for stroke and may lead to heart failure.
(American College of Cardiology’s 68th Annual Scientific Session/Zhuang X. U-shaped relationship between carbohydrate intake proportion and incident atrial fibrillation. Poster presented at: 68th American College of Cardiology’s Annual Scientific Session. March 16-18, 2019; New Orleans, LA. )

A Plant-Based Dietary Intervention Improves Beta-Cell Function and Insulin Resistance in Overweight Adults: A 16-Week Randomized Clinical Trial
( Nutrients 2018 , 10 (2), 189; https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10020189, Abstract)

The link takes you to an abstract of research findings from PCRM among others. Possible bias there, no?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rubbish studies, already deconstructed by other researchers. With the first study - not surprising that a diet heavy in soybean oil is pro-inflammatory. Too many vested interests (read = processed food industry) trying to stop diabetics getting the diet that works for them. Such studies should be criminal, let alone even published :mad:

Reactions: Shas3

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I'm providing more info, I knew I would cause a commotion, if you want to eat low carb, by all means eat low carb. There are people on this site that jump all over anyone that says anything about being a vegan or anything vegan. All I am saying is not everyone wants to be low carb and there is research to back up other ways of eating!

The first three are news items from this site, the low carb raising your risk of Afib #4 , I provided a link to the news story on the study, but it has been all over the internet.

1) The importance of eating a healthy plant-based diet to prevent type 2 diabetes has been emphasised in a new Singapore study. Greater intakes of vegetables, fruits and whole grains, and lower intake of red meat and sweetened drinks were associated with reduced type 2 diabetes risk.
Professor Rob van Dam, NUS Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, and senior author of the publication, said: "Our results are consistent with studies in other populations that a high-quality diet defined by an abundance of minimally processed plant foods such as whole grains, vegetables, fruit, nuts and legumes, but restricted intake of red and processed meat, and sweetened beverages were significantly associated with lower risk of diabetes."

2)The new research showed that higher amounts of protein in meals increased the amount of insulin needed by about 50 per cent. The results also showed that the amount of extra insulin needed varied significantly between different individuals.

3)The controversy about statins continues following a study revealing how the cholesterol-lowering drugs are associated with increased blood glucose, insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes risk.

4)Low-Carb diets like keto linked to potential heart risk in new study: What you should know
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/low-carb-...-heart-risk-181904770--abc-news-wellness.html

Reactions: WuTwo

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Now I'm even less interested :bored:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm providing more info, I knew I would cause a commotion, if you want to eat low carb, by all means eat low carb. There are people on this site that jump all over anyone that says anything about being a vegan or anything vegan. All I am saying is not everyone wants to be low carb and there is research to back up other ways of eating!

The first three are news items from this site, the low carb raising your risk of Afib #4 , I provided a link to the news story on the study, but it has been all over the internet.

1) The importance of eating a healthy plant-based diet to prevent type 2 diabetes has been emphasised in a new Singapore study. Greater intakes of vegetables, fruits and whole grains, and lower intake of red meat and sweetened drinks were associated with reduced type 2 diabetes risk.
Professor Rob van Dam, NUS Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, and senior author of the publication, said: "Our results are consistent with studies in other populations that a high-quality diet defined by an abundance of minimally processed plant foods such as whole grains, vegetables, fruit, nuts and legumes, but restricted intake of red and processed meat, and sweetened beverages were significantly associated with lower risk of diabetes."

2)The new research showed that higher amounts of protein in meals increased the amount of insulin needed by about 50 per cent. The results also showed that the amount of extra insulin needed varied significantly between different individuals.

3)The controversy about statins continues following a study revealing how the cholesterol-lowering drugs are associated with increased blood glucose, insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes risk.

4)Low-Carb diets like keto linked to potential heart risk in new study: What you should know
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/low-carb-...-heart-risk-181904770--abc-news-wellness.html

Your number 1 has so many issues for me personally wrt to whole grains (known to raise bg), legumes (known to raise bg) and fruit (known to exacerbate fatty liver).

Your number 2. I think you should say what you actually mean i.e animal protein as opposed to the B class protein from plants. A vital part of the human diet which is why vegans must supplement.

Your number 3. Dietary cholesterol has been shown to have neglible effects on whole body cholesterol. Plants also contain sterols along with other things like stanols, oxalates etc etc.

I did not view your link in your number 4 as I do not wish yet another search engine targeting me with ads.

I am pro choice, I am also pro real unbiased science conducted by scientists unhindered by agenda.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
"Researchers tracked daily carbohydrate intake in 14,000 diet records from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study and monitored incidences of heart arrhythmias. Those who consumed the least amount of carbohydrate increased the chance of developing AFib by 18 percent, compared with those who consumed the most carbohydrate. AFib is associated with a five-fold increased risk for stroke and may lead to heart failure."
(American College of Cardiology’s 68th Annual Scientific Session/Zhuang X. U-shaped relationship between carbohydrate intake proportion and incident atrial fibrillation. Poster presented at: 68th American College of Cardiology’s Annual Scientific Session. March 2019; New Orleans, LA. )

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"Researchers tracked daily carbohydrate intake in 14,000 diet records from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) study and monitored incidences of heart arrhythmias. Those who consumed the least amount of carbohydrate increased the chance of developing AFib by 18 percent, compared with those who consumed the most carbohydrate. AFib is associated with a five-fold increased risk for stroke and may lead to heart failure."
(American College of Cardiology’s 68th Annual Scientific Session/Zhuang X. U-shaped relationship between carbohydrate intake proportion and incident atrial fibrillation. Poster presented at: 68th American College of Cardiology’s Annual Scientific Session. March 2019; New Orleans, LA. )
Again, this does not represent consensus among all researchers, even among all cardiologists. It's just one piece of highly questionable research. It's also been discussed elsewhere on the forum and the subject of electrolytes covered at length.

Status
Not open for further replies.