PORRIDGE made with water or low fat milk?

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
As a boy during the war years I remember my mother making our porridge with water because milk from the
farmers was not readily available then even in most schools.

My discussion point is - what do members think - does it taste better with milk (high calcium of course) or just
plain water? AND which combination is healthier considering blood sugars?

Reactions: Kevrey

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @BaliRob The best option is with water as the lactose in milk contains carbohydrates which will elevate blood glucose levels, as for taste, well full fat milk wins hands down every time for me :)

Reactions: Pura Vida

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From a BG point of view, if either version does not increase your personal Blood sugars by more than 2mmol then it is ok
Both versions would now spike my sugars by 6-7 mmols ( porridge used to be ok producing a 1-2 mmol raise for the first 10-12 years, but 22 years into diabetes thats no longer so)
Tastewise - Id go for porridge made with water and then with cream or thick coconut milk added just before serving

Last edited:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't mind either way.... it's one of my safe foods as goes down easily and I don't get pain with it. Yes it does increase sugar, but I just taken the insulin to cover what I'm eating. Even before being diagnosed with diabetes I loved eating raw oats and porridge. I think I took after my grandfather there as we both loved a bowl of raw oats with milk. I'm not sure I'd eat raw oats with water though... prefer the milk, and semi-skim milk is what I use.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Used to eat plenty. Before dx.

Now I couldn't face it. After being low carb (sub 50 carbs at least) for a while the thought that my daily maximum is gone in a bowl of (boring) porridge.

Boring is subjective and it's only my personal view but there is so much you could have for breakfast instead that is quicker, tastier and keeps you full just as long.

Why eat it at all.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Used to eat plenty. Before dx.

Now I couldn't face it. After being low carb (sub 50 carbs at least) for a while the thought that my daily maximum is gone in a bowl of (boring) porridge.

Boring is subjective and it's only my personal view but there is so much you could have for breakfast instead that is quicker, tastier and keeps you full just as long.

Why eat it at all.

Spl, because he wants to?

annie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tastes better with milk but wouldn't touch it with a barge pole since diagnosis, too much of a spike for me.

Water would be a lower carb option than milk but obviously what is "healthier" depends on what it does to your personal blood sugar levels. :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Water. Always water. I don't even know if I'd have preferred it made with milk, because I never tried. Then cinnamon and sugar on top, yumm, and a knob of butter in the middle. Well, nowadays I stick to the knob of butter :) I quite like the way my BGs are behaving now.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wouldn’t eat real porridge at all it would spike my blood sugars. I do however eat this low carb coconut ‘porridge’ every day. Not a grain in sight, around 7g carbs per portion when served with double cream and a couple of chopped strawberries:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn’t eat real porridge at all it would spike my blood sugars. I do however eat this low carb coconut ‘porridge’ every day. Not a grain in sight, around 7g carbs per portion when served with double cream and a couple of chopped strawberries:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge
Aww @Rachox you know I love you - but how can you like this abomination? Lol - I made this for the first time this morning as was a bit fed up of eggs - was so looking forward to it - looked good with a couple of blackberries and a sprinkle of almonds - first bite - hmmm it's ok - after 2 more bites ugggghhhh - like eating cake batter - had that at 5.30 am - still feel nauseous and sluggish - and as to the clean up **** anyone want to buy a BIG bag of coconut flour ;)

As to the porridge @BaliRob - only one way according to my hubby - in a pan cooked on low for hours with water only stirred with one of them porridge whatyamcallits - only things you can add is salt or a splash of whisky :wacky:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aww @Rachox you know I love you - but how can you like this abomination? Lol - I made this for the first time this morning as was a bit fed up of eggs - was so looking forward to it - looked good with a couple of blackberries and a sprinkle of almonds - first bite - hmmm it's ok - after 2 more bites ugggghhhh - like eating cake batter - had that at 5.30 am - still feel nauseous and sluggish - and as to the clean up **** anyone want to buy a BIG bag of coconut flour ;)

As to the porridge @BaliRob - only one way according to my hubby - in a pan cooked on low for hours with water only stirred with one of them porridge whatyamcallits - only things you can add is salt or a splash of whisky :wacky:

All I can say is mine doesn’t taste like cake batter!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

@lovinglife glad I’m not the only one - I tried it once and all I managed to make was a load of what I can only describe as ‘gloop’ which tasted horrible and you could probably use for wall paper paste. Another bag of coconut flour going here too

dipsydo

Just to show we are all different , I had some porridge with semi skimmed milk a couple of days ago and my blood sugar dropped from 6 before to 5.5 after and yes I did test again to make sure not rogue readings ! So I think that the impact of porridge is so individual that you can only tell how you react by testing.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to love porridge.
With semi skimmed milk and a sprinkle of Demerera.
OR with water and a sprinkle of salt.
All depending on when, why and how much. lol.
Gosh, that must be 30 years ago.

Nowadays, sadly, the oats would send my bg too high, so I don't. At all.

Used to make it for Mr B though with the jumbo oats, overnight in the slow cooker. Came out like a cross between wallpaper paste and cement, but he LOVED it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

My dad was a Scot and he loved porridge, it was sacrilege to put sugar or honey on porridge, only salt was the true Scots way, to me coconut and porridge are............:yuck:

M

Member496333

If you made me eat porridge I would use whole milk instead of water in an attempt to mitigate the effect of the rather large glucose load :)

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Spl, because he wants to?
Didn't tell him not to. Just my view.

Now fully committed to lox carb and enjoying the benefits too much to even consider carbs in any quantity.

Seems most of it (carbs) now doesn't have the appeal it used to either.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to show we are all different , I had some porridge with semi skimmed milk a couple of days ago and my blood sugar dropped from 6 before to 5.5 after and yes I did test again to make sure not rogue readings ! So I think that the impact of porridge is so individual that you can only tell how you react by testing.
Every one reacts differently and I have always been able to eat porridge which I mixed with flax seed but find it easier to have Greek yoghurt and berries for breakfast.

Reactions: lovinglife

davidjb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football; anything by Kylie Minogue, Madonna, Whitney Houston, any X-Factor/BGT winner, groups like Girls Aloud etc. (you get the picture); misuse of 'your', 'you're', 'their', 'there', etc.; the use of 'of' as an auxiliary verb; Facebook and Twitter (just what the hell is all this 'hashtag' stuff?); 'celebrities'; I could go on but I'm beginning to sound grumpier than I really am.
As a boy during the war years I remember my mother making our porridge with water because milk from the
farmers was not readily available then even in most schools.

My discussion point is - what do members think - does it taste better with milk (high calcium of course) or just
plain water? AND which combination is healthier considering blood sugars?

I use almond 'milk' which has virtually no carbs/sugar.