What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s easy!

Just get cocoa powder, mix into a smooth paste, add hot water, sweetener and double cream.

If you google you can find all sorts of fancy recipes to try. The one on diet doctor is great.
Or if you're being really indulgent you can use very good quality 100% chocolate, but we save that for when we want a special treat. Most of the time I use cocoa, almond milk, a splash of cream and sweetener.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Good to see everyone! I must be extremely tired (ya think?). Can hardly remember today.
Bfast 1/2 avocado, egg, decaf/soy/cream and a cherry tomato
Lunch too many macadamias, celery, cherry toms, cuke, lc tortilla with almond butter and butter, more macadamias, more celery. OTOH, Mom entertained me with stories from her high school years while I ate her macadamias.
Supper spinach wilted in olive oil, leftover chicken. Hurry-up meal.
Late afternoon another decaf/cream/soy and a square 90% chicolate
Bedtime snack was making hubby noodles soup, ate plenty of the aspic from the chicken IP-ing Saturday. One cat loved his taste, the omnivore cat just stared at it....
Tomorrow is a new day!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are so inventive you must have a whole array of essences and oils in your stash to add to chia puddings, yoghurts etc? I’ve just bought some lemon extract but think it would be good to buy more of the essences, oils etc for flavourings anything to bring differences and a proustian touch to what we are able to eat without raising our bgs - mm do they do a madeleines essence and how about ....???
I've got more than a few flavourings and essences in the "sweet" baking cupboard now all nicely arranged on the small versions of the Lakeland rotating things. I have rosewater too so I feel a Turkish delight chia pudding coming on.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 I am sitting at your feet learning how to be a gramma! Hoping that #1+dil will have better luck this next try... We also have this type of garbage disposal. I remember when we got our first one, 1982 it was! They were the best thing since sliced bread - you didn’t have to get up before dawn to get the bags out (can’t leave out, even in the city the raccoons would get them...)
@Charis1213 your menu looked delicious!
I've heard all about the little masked bandits. I think I said before DIL is from the USA. When they were first engaged they went camping somewhere around Lake Michigan. They had lots of photos of glowing little eyes with their masks just waiting for them to bed down so they could attack the coolers. Son, not being used to the masked critters, made the mistake of also having a polystyrene cooler - they made short work of that and had a good go at the regular coolers too.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SlimLizzy oh how devastating re sale that fell through. That is very stressful, so sorry!
Thanks for your suppport. We had four viewings and today have accepted a slightly higher offer than previous one. Silver linings and all that. Did wonder if stress contributed to my funny turn in the night?
Now just get the contracts completed quickly.
In Scotland it used to be so simple. An offer was made and if it was accepted that was it. If the buyer backed out after acceptance then they were liable for all the costs of putting the house back on the market. I always thought it was a sensible way to sell. Then somebody changed it and it's now subject to the missives being completed so we have the same issues as England when selling.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Now just get the contracts completed quickly.
In Scotland it used to be so simple. An offer was made and if it was accepted that was it. If the buyer backed out after acceptance then they were liable for all the costs of putting the house back on the market. I always thought it was a sensible way to sell. Then somebody changed it and it's now subject to the missives being completed so we have the same issues as England when selling.
What a shame they changed a perfectly working system.
SO far the signs are good, we have a lot more information about this buyer and, crucially, her buyer is a first time buyer, so very short chain.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
G'morning!

@maglil55 .Please let me know how you get on with the rosewater chia pudding cos I've got a big bottle of the stuff which I've never even opened. Another impulse purchase at the Turkish supermarket. :rolleyes: I must have had something in mind for it when I got it but heaven knows what.

Today:

Breakfast: Little chunk of Brie and coffee with cream

Lunch: Turkish yoghurt and defrosted blackberries

Dinner: Nigel Slater inspired grated celeriac dish with smoked mackerel, grainy mustard, lemon juice and yoghurt/double cream mix (should have been sour cream but I don't like the taste)

Drinks: Coffee with breakfast, big mug of tea with skimmed milk, plenty of water

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just noticed I forgot to post yesterday. Bed was a bit higher at 7.4 but FBG was a more respectable 6.1. No grandsons yesterday but will be collecting them for a couple of hours today.
I amused myself by knocking up more Dr Almond bread. The baguette/ ciabatta mix this time. I popped in the olive oil for the ciabatta version and it isn't bad but not quite a "holey" as ciabatta. It makes two loaves. Didn't get the shape quite right but they rose well and taste good. I ground some rock salt on the top of the dough before baking and, since I have their bamboo fibre , dusted the finished loaves with it. I have to say their mixes are great. Wonder what the situation will be after 29 March?
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream . Was going off to Aqua so I had a couple of water biscuits with pate pate - the fruity one.
L. Post Aqua and my bread made it would be rude not to try it so, one slice of the Dr Almond ciabatta with pate pate
D. Still had leftover chicken so chicken breast, small avocado, roma tomato (2), little coleslaw , helmans and 2 bits of the Dr Almond ciabatta with butter. A mix of blackberries and raspberries with cream.
I also got the IP on the go and restocked my supply of the bright green broccoli and spinach soup which is being stored for another day.
Not sure what today will bring but it will involve more of the Dr Almond bread and perhaps some of the green soup.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got more than a few flavourings and essences in the "sweet" baking cupboard now all nicely arranged on the small versions of the Lakeland rotating things. I have rosewater too so I feel a Turkish delight chia pudding coming on.
It will be lovely! Just go easy and don't slip with the rose water like I did the first time I made it! It tasted like soap! :yuck::joyful:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
G'morning!

@maglil55 .Please let me know how you get on with the rosewater chia pudding cos I've got a big bottle of the stuff which I've never even opened. Another impulse purchase at the Turkish supermarket. :rolleyes: I must have had something in mind for it when I got it but heaven knows what.

Today:

Breakfast: Little chunk of Brie and coffee with cream

Lunch: Turkish yoghurt and defrosted blackberries

Dinner: Nigel Slater inspired grated celeriac dish with smoked mackerel, grainy mustard, lemon juice and yoghurt/double cream mix (should have been sour cream but I don't like the taste)

Drinks: Coffee with breakfast, big mug of tea with skimmed milk, plenty of water

Was it celeriac remoulade? One of my favourite salad dishes, even pre LC days. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@BibaBee Yes, it's a remoulade. I haven't had it for years but I saw him making this on the TV recently and thought his smoked mackerel version sounded yummy.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@BibaBee Yes, it's a remoulade. I haven't had it for years but I saw him making this on the TV recently and thought his smoked mackerel version sounded yummy.
Does sound delicious. Never liked celariac until tried it as remoulade from french supermairkets. Still not really keen on the flavour, but its ok mashed in with potato or swede as a shepherds pie topping. However rosted celariac, gets a no from both myself and husband. Once we are settled am going to try it in Rostii.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@maglil55 it’s a good thing your dd and sil didn’t camp in the Smoky Mountains! My parents’ first anniversary cake was eaten by a black bear and they got a pic of it!
I’ll try to catch up later, but meanwhile maybe in the midst of everything I can make some chicken soup or creamy chicken soup for Mom tonight. She asked for New England clam chowder, which I’ve realized is LC all by itself if you substitute celeriac for potato, but I don’t keep clams on hand and am out of plain celeriac. The ultimate goal would be to also make some lc cheese biscuits (American raised style, not the sweet cookie item) to go with.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. As an old fen fruit grower said to me while I was walking the dogs, not bad for winter.
Food today: Evening meal only: 8 chipolatas,2 eggs, at least 8 slices streaky bacon, 2 slices livlife bread and butter - without the 2 pints of tea I would still be eating.
Today's highlights: swimming lesson went well; 8 eggs from chickens; new chromebook all up and running with all keys firmly in place; facetime of granddaughter crawling; Hope y'all found some highlights.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.
Keeping fingers crossed for you @slimlizzie it’s such a stressful time even when things go smoothly.
@Chook and @BibaBee I love celeriac remoulade too but it’s such a hassle to prepare without a food processor to grate it. I’ve used a BBB.com recipe but the mackerel one sounds good.

Tried for omad today as bgs up after yesterday’s large amount of food ( albeit low carb) Failed by 10:30 am- very hungry so had smoked salmon and scrambled egg.

Dinner was the last of the chicken casserole with cavalo nero followed by Greek yogurt then a few Callebaut buttons.

@shelley262 hope you’ve arrived safely in Yorks.