What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha ha, mayo, if it’s available, why not. - my daughter in law and my granddaughter would have mixed sambaI with tomato ketchup. I do like Thai omelettes. Seems that there is much diversity in what goes into one as long as the eggs are beaten until they surrender and then almost deep fried. I do mine in a saucepan.

My need was for intense calories, so I took what I could get, bearing in mind I had two plates of food to chow down on - the omelette and the fabulous mound of salad. I was very full afterwards.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just seen avocado fries - Swoon Sisters Pablo's chicken coating - good to go for Sunday for my first trial. Unless anyone else has tried them with dire consequences as in dire of the rear or hospitalisation. Very little else could deter me from trying that idea.

Avocado fries - what a great idea.
I make courgette fries in my actifry (you have to take the paddle out and put a basket in). They come out very well.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just seen avocado fries - Swoon Sisters Pablo's chicken coating - good to go for Sunday for my first trial. Unless anyone else has tried them with dire consequences as in dire of the rear or hospitalisation. Very little else could deter me from trying that idea.

I’ll be interested in how these turn out. I remember in the 70s when avocados first appeared there was a restaurant we used to go to which offered baked avocado, stuffed with crab. It was delicious but I’ve never had hot avocado since.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll be interested in how these turn out. I remember in the 70s when avocados first appeared there was a restaurant we used to go to which offered baked avocado, stuffed with crab. It was delicious but I’ve never had hot avocado since.
If you remember the 70s you weren't there (replace decade with one of choice):angelic: I have baked eggs in avocado; probably better to poach the eggs separately - heroes in a half shell what, what

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Avocado fries - what a great idea.
I make courgette fries in my actifry (you have to take the paddle out and put a basket in). They come out very well.
I used to deep fry courgette in tempura and may do so again now I've found a low carb tempura. It was another Italian favourite - courgette and aubergine fries. Do you coat them in anything for the actifry? (Yes I have an actifry).

Reactions: ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was just about to say baked avocado. Oddly I wasnt keen the first time I tasted a baked avocado. Much preferred just slicing and eating. Baked stuffed aubergine is another favourite of mine.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you remember the 70s you weren't there (replace decade with one of choice):angelic: I have baked eggs in avocado; probably better to poach the eggs separately - heroes in a half shell what, what
https://tasty.co/recipe/baked-avocado-eggs

I also recall one where you put the 2 avocado halves together again and use a little cream cheese to hold it together long enough to egg/crumb then bake. Or wrap in Parma ham and bake.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: ianpspurs

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some frozen avocados today, some lower carb ice cream and a load of Yorkshire rhubarb. The rhubarb is partly to keep my system in better order (sparing the graphic detail).

Breakfast : mini full English at Morrisons, with 1 x slice of toasted brown bread. Not sure if the sausages were that great carb wise.
Lunch : Greek yoghurt with rhubarb.
Dinner will be : Grilled chicken breast in lemon and chilli pepper, with cauliflower rice and thai mixed vegetables. Trialling some Halo Top ice cream.

Snacked on various nuts and cheese.

The mini full English is a bit of a weekly sin following a tradition that my wife and I have had on pay day.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are they? We are off to Rome next month.
We lived in with the Italians when we were there (my late sister was married to an Italian) so the chicken feet were a common sight. So too was skinned rabbit complete with its head. I have used the feet while there to make stock as it gives you a good gelled stock but I was never keen on eating them. To be honest, I always thought it was more about what they put on them as most of them sucked on them.
There was a good Chinese called F&B on the Via Giovanni Giolitti which is very close to Roma Termini (their main train station) and they had some unusual off menu items such as fried duck tongues and they did pickled chicken feet. Dont know if it's still there but if it is worth a visit if you fancy a non Italian day.
The Italians maintained chicken feet were good for skin and for easing joints.

Reactions: ziggy_w

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to say:
@BibaBee sorry Mr B is having a tough time recovering from eye treatment. Must be scary. I am still waiting for hospital appt after they werent happy with my retinopathy on Jan 31.
@shelley262 welcome back. What a difficult time for your Mum, I think you are an amazing daughter.
@ziggy_w thanks for kind comments.
Regarding veggie fries when we were last at our posh hotel in Cornwall they had Portebello fries which were deep fried and dusted in grated parmesan. Know that because asked kitchen staff. They were lovely but I havent been able to recreate because I dont deep fry.
Todays menu:
Breakfast: 2 mugs tea, not hungry at all.
Lunch: tomato, cucumber, my current obsession TTD Waldorf salad (1 tablesp), 2 baby beets, slice mature cheddar.
Supper will be two stir frys, prawns with oriental veg and coconut and ginger and beef strips with mushrooms and oyster sauce. Will do rice or noodles for OH and son.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We lived in with the Italians when we were there (my late sister was married to an Italian) so the chicken feet were a common sight. So too was skinned rabbit complete with its head. I have used the feet while there to make stock as it gives you a good gelled stock but I was never keen on eating them. To be honest, I always thought it was more about what they put on them as most of them sucked on them.
There was a good Chinese called F&B on the Via Giovanni Giolitti which is very close to Roma Termini (their main train station) and they had some unusual off menu items such as fried duck tongues and they did pickled chicken feet. Dont know if it's still there but if it is worth a visit if you fancy a non Italian day.
The Italians maintained chicken feet were good for skin and for easing joints.
Thanks, @Mr_Pot recommended the eating Court at the Termini so we will be in the vicinity.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea with almond milk, coffee with almond milk, soya milk and double cream. Question for y'all. Playing with cronometer (thanks for heads up either @DCUKMod or @Brunneria ) to see what menus I could realistically stick to. Issue is this setting
upload_2019-3-15_16-2-36.png

Total carbs seems like the gold standard but is impossible for me to reduce to keto at over 1200 cals and I will never manage that. I can find pathways with Net Carbs without sugar alcohols but suspect that is "cheating" but does allow me to hit mineral and vitamin goals.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I might try frying avocado slices. Nice idea.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sounds like an interesting combo too. I might try it. Did you edit to put the poaching first suggestion? Ive been wondering how you did it, then when I looked again, as if by magic it was there! ( or am I going loopy?)

Reactions: Chook