Carbohydrates - Food of the Devil?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That cake looks. AWESOME. As does that chocolate cake from a couple of posts backpack does as well.

Would I eat?
Yes I would, maybe not in one sitting?

Why?

Because life is to short and cake is to nice
Too right. :D

Actually her cakes look fantastic but tend to be awfully sweet.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Personally, I see cakes like that and I think 'Is it worth a toe? Is it worth the sight of one eye?' You may think that I am terrified of sweet things, not at all. I had a Devonshire Cream tea and a Devonshire clotted cream ice cream cornet in late summer '18. I thoroughly enjoyed both and ate both with not one whit of guilt or remorse but the next treat I had was a small one on my birthday much later in the year (I was saving the treats up for Christmas). I no longer have carb cravings so a treat two or three times a year is enough for me, I look forward to them because they are a true, proper treat not summat to be had every day or every week.

You could easily put both those cakes in my kitchen and it wouldn't bother me (middle son had a tower of profiteroles sitting in the fridge the other week and while I like them I was totally disinterested). I may even have broken my relationships with Mr. Ritz and Mr. Walker!

M

Member496333

Why?

Because life is to short and cake is to nice

And also presumably because the insulin you use actually works. This is not so much the case with insulin resistant diabetics. Just making sure we understand the distinction between the two with respect to carbohydrate ingestion :)

Speaking from a personal perspective the idea of eating a cake makes me feel ill, and a life’s too short attitude will make mine even shorter :D

Reactions: Knikki

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And also presumably because the insulin you use actually works. This is not so much the case with insulin resistant diabetics. Just making sure we understand the distinction between the two with respect to carbohydrate ingestion :)

Speaking from a personal perspective the idea of eating a cake makes me feel ill, and a life’s too short attitude will make mine even shorter :D
And....also...you can’t have your cake and eat it. :D

Anybody got a recipe for a low carb custard pie?

Reactions: Knikki

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
There are a couple of simple arbitrators - the blood glucose monitor and the insulin response. Every test I have seen with trigger foods such as bananas show a spike above the guidelines > 9.0 (always should be tested at 30 mins to start with). I have sort out persons who test and even those under 30 years old get extreme results when carbs are put to the test (starchy carbs). Under 2 weeks ago a young lady on one of the food programs on the box, was over a 9 consuming a packet of crisps. Childhood diabetes rates were virtually non-existent less that 60 years ago. I had a chat with a University today to see if they would front some tests on the responses of different foods with regards to blood glucose (maybe more on this another time).

I have seen Andreas Eenfeldt (diet doctor) response to 2 regular meals, Sarah Halberg's response to red melon - neither of these are diabetics, lots of tests of potatoes, spaghetti over 30 minutes plus for others- all result in numbers the guidelines say are too high. I watched a 28 year old Vegan on YouTube eat some Pizza, again blood glucose over 9.0 and higher fbg the next day.

I think 60 - 80 years ago persons in the UK could comfortably eat Paleo level of carbs (meat and 2 veg) with potato carbs quite easily in at least late 60's. In my view modern carbs in bread, pasta, cereals, cakes and the like are a disgrace, I think these "break" our systems, making healthier carbs a poisonous dosage. The numbers in the States say only circa 30% of the population can cope with the carb intake, I would suggest this is similar anywhere the SAD diet is.

If Kraft was right with his interpretation insulin response categorisations, the numbers with blood glucose dysregulation are overwhelming, and even without his definition our eyes and stats show clearly that carbs in a modern context basically lays down fat and disease; then we see when these types of carbs are removed health and bio markers return to normal-ish - this is not coincidence.

The trouble is carbs are delicious, especially when (purposefully) mixed with fat, the perfect "fat bomb". The franken-carbs have turned us into the only animal which cannot naturally regulate our diet (unless we go non-mainstream).
Hi @Mbaker You mentioning 60 years ago made me think about food shops at the time. I grew up between Brighton and Worthing and the biggest food shop was Sainsbury's. It would not be classed as a supermarket nowadays. Its modern equivalent would have seemed like a hypermarket. I remember Kit-Kat dispensers where you put sixpence in (2.5 pence in todays terms) and you would get 1 bar. There were also Bazooka bubble gum and Wrigley's chewing gum. You could find small waxed cartons of milk (half pint). I can't remember cans of fizzy drinks coming out of an external dispenser back then. The checkout was a primitive affair with a typewriter style till, and would not be barricaded with temptations. Vesta packs of chicken supreme or something similar with rice were around, but there was not yet anything like Pot Noodles or today's ready meals. This is surely because they didn't have developed plastics, and microwaves were still a dream. It would be wrong to think that obese children were not around then. I personally knew several 'fatsos' as they were termed and of course there were plenty of adults in a similar position. Maybe the sudden realisation that plastic is harming the planet might go a little way towards helping better dietary choices. If the government is truly concerned about the diabetes time-bomb, they could be looking also at absurd portions being served at takeaways and the carb content of "snacks" in e.g. coffee shops. This coud go on...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
There have been some posts on sporting performance with carbs I would like to comment on. Many athletes are getting pre-diabetic numbers, I have read about runners and body builders. It would not be expected that those exercising for up to 5 hours a day could get to this state; even Ivor Cummins sponsor developed Type 2 an he was a fit man, running alot.

Many top athletes are now training low and performing high (carbs on the day) such as Liverpool F.C and another undisclosed top six premier club. I was at a networking meeting today and an ex-rugby pro, turned business angel said Saracens do low carb; I know the NZ All Blacks do, and ashes winning Australian cricket teams. I could produce lots of examples as this is an area I follow. Even Chris Froome went low carb to lose weight (as if he had any) to improve his power to weight ratio, which he did. Low carb / keto athlete performance is much better on muscle recovery. But in general low carb / keto athletic performance has been well documented in the faster study by Volek and Phinney, lean gains, keto gains and many more resources. My personal experience is that I can easily do 3 miles, followed by a heavy weights 45 minute 700 calorie workout fasted until 15.00 - easily; carb fuelled athletes do not train like this.
Hi @Mbaker You mentioning 60 years ago made me think about food shops at the time. I grew up between Brighton and Worthing and the biggest food shop was Sainsbury's. It would not be classed as a supermarket nowadays. Its modern equivalent would have seemed like a hypermarket. I remember Kit-Kat dispensers where you put sixpence in (2.5 pence in todays terms) and you would get 1 bar. There were also Bazooka bubble gum and Wrigley's chewing gum. You could find small waxed cartons of milk (half pint). I can't remember cans of fizzy drinks coming out of an external dispenser back then. The checkout was a primitive affair with a typewriter style till, and would not be barricaded with temptations. Vesta packs of chicken supreme or something similar with rice were around, but there was not yet anything like Pot Noodles or today's ready meals. This is surely because they didn't have developed plastics, and microwaves were still a dream. It would be wrong to think that obese children were not around then. I personally knew several 'fatsos' as they were termed and of course there were plenty of adults in a similar position. Maybe the sudden realisation that plastic is harming the planet might go a little way towards helping better dietary choices. If the government is truly concerned about the diabetes time-bomb, they could be looking also at absurd portions being served at takeaways and the carb content of "snacks" in e.g. coffee shops. This coud go on...
Interesting the off spring of the generations from 60 years ago now have a shorter life expectancy themselves, their children are more obese and suffer more behavioural and chronic diseases earlier - the prevalence of autoimmune diseases is also up.around.

The convenience experience has helped fuel plastics, and we now know that drinking water from plastic bottles is not great.

Reactions: Guzzler

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember those times too. And I remember looking at what was going on across the pond. And then I visited across the pond and saw it was true. What happens here is often what has already happened over in the US of A.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been some posts on sporting performance with carbs I would like to comment on. Many athletes are getting pre-diabetic numbers, I have read about runners and body builders. It would not be expected that those exercising for up to 5 hours a day could get to this state; even Ivor Cummins sponsor developed Type 2 an he was a fit man, running alot.

Many top athletes are now training low and performing high (carbs on the day) such as Liverpool F.C and another undisclosed top six premier club. I was at a networking meeting today and an ex-rugby pro, turned business angel said Saracens do low carb; I know the NZ All Blacks do, and ashes winning Australian cricket teams. I could produce lots of examples as this is an area I follow. Even Chris Froome went low carb to lose weight (as if he had any) to improve his power to weight ratio, which he did. Low carb / keto athlete performance is much better on muscle recovery. But in general low carb / keto athletic performance has been well documented in the faster study by Volek and Phinney, lean gains, keto gains and many more resources. My personal experience is that I can easily do 3 miles, followed by a heavy weights 45 minute 700 calorie workout fasted until 15.00 - easily; carb fuelled athletes do not train like this.

Interesting the off spring of the generations from 60 years ago now have a shorter life expectancy themselves, their children are more obese and suffer more behavioural and chronic diseases earlier - the prevalence of autoimmune diseases is also up.around.

The convenience experience has helped fuel plastics, and we now know that drinking water from plastic bottles is not great.
Don’t get me on plastics and looking after the planet etc, I could go on for days and weeks about it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember those times too. And I remember looking at what was going on across the pond. And then I visited across the pond and saw it was true. What happens here is often what has already happened over in the US of A.
So if only 12 % of US adults are metabolically healthy (which I believe is the most recent statistic) then maybe carbs , seed oils, HFCS really are the food of the devil?

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Maybe we need two events at the Olympics? The carb fuelled 100m and the fat fuelled. :D

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So if only 12 % of US adults are metabolically healthy (which I believe is the most recent statistic) then maybe carbs , seed oils, HFCS really are the food of the devil?
I see the point you are making but you are taking things to the polarised extreme. I sometimes wonder if there is a hidden agenda lurking around. What’s wrong with optimising instead of minimising.?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Sadly!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What’s wrong with optimising instead of minimising.?

Simply put optimising is only possible after minimising.. you have no idea what your "ideal" carb intake will be so the easiest way to find out is to cut to the barest minimum (which in dietary essentials terms is none but 20g daily is a good start point) and then build up to see by whatever means you use to measure shows you that you have got to your ideal level. By slowly cutting down you'll never get better just make yourself sicker by the day...
Seems to be the sensible approach to me?
Its like food allergy testing (in fact it is food allergy testing).. if you eat 100g of peanuts and are allergic you will get very ill.. if you eat none then you won't.. the next day try one and see how that goes. Hardly rocket science.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Liverpool FC
“Since then the changes on the training pitch have been replicated in the club’s canteen. Players have been enrolled on food education courses and provided with tailor-made nutrition programmes. The canteen itself has been revamped with different food ‘stations’ – for hydration, bread, salad and fresh pasta. Tomato sauce is off the menu because of its sugar content and the club also have ‘no egg days’ ahead of games.”

Liverpool FC
“She has not overseen vast structural changes at its Melwood training complex, or at the club’s stadium at Anfield. The training ground cafeteria is not markedly different: a station for fresh fruit juices, a spot for granola and nuts, her famous salad bar.”

These guys seem to be optimising and not (maximising or minimising).

Last edited:
Reactions: Novanebula

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I know that Peter Brukner was / is involved as it is him who I got the info from, he did some of the Australian cricket team:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know that Peter Brukner was / is involved as it is him who I got the info from, he did some of the Australian cricket team:

I bet they can tell us a thing or two about roughing up the match ball. :D.

D

Deleted member 308541

I bet they can tell us a thing or two about roughing up the match ball. :D.
0y4h3.gif
0y4h3.gif
0y4h3.gif

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Maybe we need two events at the Olympics? The carb fuelled 100m and the fat fuelled. :D
No need both types are already competing at the same games. Stephen Phinney has stated many times that he cannot disclose some names he trains, I cannot site another trainer off the top of my head who trains Olympic level athletes, I do recall she was on a panel of around 6 in this space answering end of session questions.

I can talk from personal experience as a once elite level Karate man (former British champ). Keto adapted training for strength and endurance is superior in my view. For short explosive bursts such as 60, 100 and 200 metres, carb based performance I feel shades it, due to the immediacy of the glucose (if ultimate tenth of a second performance is required)...having said that Dr Shawn Baker recently won a world event his age group for a glycolytic rowing event, and in contrast Zach Bitter gained 2 world records, 1 was for running 100 miles in the quickest time. For those who don't know Shaw does full carnivore, Zach uses carnivore / high fatstrategically for optimum recovery.

For some reason beyond me, many back to back tests outside of Volek and Phinney compare persons who are carb burners with persons who have transitioned to the diet for the trial, rather than allowing several months for Keto adaption.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No need both types are already competing at the same games. Stephen Phinney has stated many times that he cannot disclose some names he trains, I cannot site another trainer off the top of my head who trains Olympic level athletes, I do recall she was on a panel of around 6 in this space answering end of session questions.

I can talk from personal experience as a once elite level Karate man (former British champ). Keto adapted training for strength and endurance is superior in my view. For short explosive bursts such as 60, 100 and 200 metres, carb based performance I feel shades it, due to the immediacy of the glucose (if ultimate tenth of a second performance is required)...having said that Dr Shawn Baker recently won a world event his age group for a glycolytic rowing event, and in contrast Zach Bitter gained 2 world records, 1 was for running 100 miles in the quickest time. For those who don't know Shaw does full carnivore, Zach uses carnivore / high fatstrategically for optimum recovery.

For some reason beyond me, many back to back tests outside of Volek and Phinney compare persons who are carb burners with persons who have transitioned to the diet for the trial, rather than allowing several months for Keto adaption.
That’s handy. My little one takes her first grading on Monday at 6yo. Taekwando though.

Reactions: Robinredbreast