41 sadly...LoL

- Are you male or female?

Female last time I looked.

- Which country are you from?

England

- Which city/area do you live in?

I'm in East London

- Are you religious?

More spiritual than religious...I have my beliefs and they are somewhat eclectic!

- Pick three words to describe your personality.

Peaceful, passionate and giving

- Do you have any pets?

Sadly no - But would love a dog someday!

- Microsoft or Apple?

Microsoft I'm afraid....I love it...I'm traditional that way.

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?

None, I used to love horse riding and I love to trampoline but do neither now.

- Do you get angry easily?

Only on the inside, I tend to cry when I get angry....and then have imaginary conversations where I tell people off but don't ever tell them in real life.

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?

No piercings but I do have 4 tattoo's - One on each wrist which are star signs, a dreamcatcher on my ankle and a latin saying on my other ankle. Would love to have more.

- List your five favourite musicians/bands.

Elton John, Take That, Queen, The Carpenters and Stevie Wonder

- What would you say your favourite music genre is?

Probably easy listening.

- What is your favourite flag?

Hmmmm, not sure I have one to be honest.

- Ever gone camping?

Does Eurocamp as a child count?

- Ever been in love?

Sadly yes, trying not to get my heart broken again and have protected it fairly well for a long time now.

- Ever used fake tan?

Nope, not really my thing, I'm incredibly pale and would look like an Oompa Loompa if I used fake tan!

- Which countries have you visited?

France, Germany, Switzerland, Holland, Poland, Spain, Luxemburg, USA, Australia, Jordan, Tunisia, Egypt

- Favourite city?

Cheddar in Somerset - So peaceful and I'm hoping to go back this Summer to visit.

- List your five favourite TV programmes.

Friends, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Grey's Anatomy, ER, Coronation Street

- List your five favourite films.

The Shawshank Redemption (Get busy living or get busy dying), The Prince of Tides (Makes me cry hysterically every single time), Monty Python's Life of Brian (He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!), Dirty Dancing (Nobody puts baby in the corner!), The Goonies (Just because it's an AWESOME 80's movie) - And if I can cheat a little and add one, Weird Science because it's just so good if you grew up in the 80's.

- Are you wealthy?

Most definitely not, but not poor either.

- Do you work? If so, as what?

I'm a Psychotherapist - Don't worry, I promise not to analyse anyone but I AM a good listener.

- List the subjects you study/have studied.

Psychology mainly.

- What do you like most about yourself?

The fact that I'm loyal and giving and caring and can be very sweet.

- What do you like least about yourself?

That I stress myself out and that I'm needy.

So that's me folks....I hope that hasn't put anyone off....I should also say I'm a major Disney fan and an Annual Passholder for Disneyland Paris....also struggling with insomnia right now...also have been struggling with my weight since I was 13 and am now getting to the point where it's just damaging and problematic in a major way....

Thanks for having me :)

Reactions: Mike d

Berutiel

Mary, 28, I'm Italian but I live in England since 2015, I'm sincere, honest, sensitive, I've got a cat, preferring Microsoft, I get angry easily if things don't go smoothly, I love my husband and my son, I don't like fake tan. I love my honesty, my love for animals, love for people. I don't like my body fat, really need to lose weight to feel better about myself. I am prediabetic and I want to improve my diet. I'm here for some support. I'm quite talkative and friendly so if you want to have a chat just PM me.

Reactions: Traceymac23

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ciao @Berutiel e benventuta. I can see this is your first post so will tag in @daisy1 who will send you lots of info.

Have a good rummage around the site. There are so many great threads. Any questions fire away.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Berutiel
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it both interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Mike Dodds

New here, not a Diabetic but looking for information to assist in the care of my 87 year old father, also not a Diabetic but who has seemingly shown some symptoms of a 'Hypo' situation. He refers to these as "The Staggers" and states that he feels weak, off balance, clumsy and tired, often returning to bed to 'sleep them off'
I witnessed one today and he looked pale, felt 'clammy' and said he needed something sweet.
Can anyone confirm that these are either 'Typical' HYPO reactions or not.

Thanks

KathyFrance

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I have just joined.
Diagnose a week ago with steroid induced Diabetes Type 2 and started on Metformin 500 increased to 2x 500 yesterday.
Side effects bearable so far.
I have a question which I would like to post but cannot see where I can stat a new post.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I have just joined.
Diagnose a week ago with steroid induced Diabetes Type 2 and started on Metformin 500 increased to 2x 500 yesterday.
Side effects bearable so far.
I have a question which I would like to post but cannot see where I can stat a new post.
Hi Kathy and welcome to the forum. To write your own post go to the main page here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/
Then scroll down through the list of subforms. Select the most appropriate one for your question. Click on the green button top right of your screen ‘Post new Thread’. Fill in the title and text boxes, then click on the green ‘create thread’ at the bottom of the screen. Hope that helps.

Jules 73

Hi I was diagnosed almost a year ago and I’m still not coming to terms with this awful illness - my hba1c isn’t coming down at all throughout the year despite being on a good diet and losing 3 and and half stone already! I’m at a loss what to eat as my blood sugars always seem to be high (14-18) I’ve stop self testing as I get so depressed and my doctor said there’s really no need to test anyway as I can’t go into an hypo on the metformin and alogliptin combination I’m on - my parents are both type 2 diabetics but suffer really bad health one has kidney failure and my mum is currently catheterised as her bladder isn’t working properly :( any advice on what to eat to keep my sugars down would be brill, I’ve cut out most carbs and try to stick to two meals a day as I find when I skip meals my bs can come down to around 10! But I know skipping meals is bad for you too

K

Knikki

Hi I was diagnosed almost a year ago and I’m still not coming to terms with this awful illness - my hba1c isn’t coming down at all throughout the year despite being on a good diet and losing 3 and and half stone already! I’m at a loss what to eat as my blood sugars always seem to be high (14-18) I’ve stop self testing as I get so depressed and my doctor said there’s really no need to test anyway as I can’t go into an hypo on the metformin and alogliptin combination I’m on - my parents are both type 2 diabetics but suffer really bad health one has kidney failure and my mum is currently catheterised as her bladder isn’t working properly :( any advice on what to eat to keep my sugars down would be brill, I’ve cut out most carbs and try to stick to two meals a day as I find when I skip meals my bs can come down to around 10! But I know skipping meals is bad for you too

Hello and Welcome to the forum, see above at the Daisy1 intro which can give you some guidance on how to get to grips with T2.

Also have a look around both the forum and the main page as also has lots of info about living with T2.

Have a look in the LO Carb forums as well because they can also have a fair bit of info on how to lower Hb1Ac, some even do intermitent fasting to help.

I'm going to tag @Rachox because she is in remission with her Type2 and can give better advice than me because I'm Type1. Hope you find things around to help which I'm sure you will :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and Welcome to the forum, see above at the Daisy1 intro which can give you some guidance on how to get to grips with T2.

Also have a look around both the forum and the main page as also has lots of info about living with T2.

Have a look in the LO Carb forums as well because they can also have a fair bit of info on how to lower Hb1Ac, some even do intermitent fasting to help.

I'm going to tag @Rachox because she is in remission with her Type2 and can give better advice than me because I'm Type1. Hope you find things around to help which I'm sure you will :)
Thanks for the tag @Knikki . Rather than derailing this Introductions thread @Jules 73 , may I suggest you post your own question in an appropriate sub forum. You will receive a better response that way. Just follow the instructions I gave to another member just a few posts back.

Clare0116

Hello everyone, I'm newly diagnosed but I have had total thyroid failure and metabolic syndrome for years. At 4'9" tall and 14st 3lbs BMI 43, my body shape is definitely apple, despite all my healthy eating and exercise daily effort. With many food intolerances and digestive misery, I eat low carb fodmap foods. Does anyone else feel sleepy after eating carbs?

crisbev

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I have been type one since April 1991 and have had the worst year since I was first diagnosed. We used to have check ups every 6 months now if I get a letter once a year I am lucky , then to be told I cannot now use the blood machine I like I now have to use one that is so basic it’s no use at all and if I don’t use it my doctors won’t let me order my lancets or test strips for any other one just the one that they say I must use . It’s now getting beyond a joke . Last year it was over 14 months till I got part one of my diabetes check and 16 months till I got my part 2 . If we want to see a doctor or nurse we have to que outside in all weathers at 8 o clock which when you are not feeling well is not a happy time , then only to be told when you get to the desk that all that days appointments have now gone as people in the know get in the que at 7 am . so this is now what it is like to be a diabetic under Lincolnshire hospital trust now . I just think it’s a joke when you watch tv and the doctors on there you just go to the desk get a appointment they send you straight away for blood tests and even ring you if you have a problem. Come on show it how it really is in real life . Am I loving the 21st century NHS

Heartsurvivor

This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you male or female?
- Which country are you from?
- Which city/area do you live in?
- Are you religious?
- Pick three words to describe your personality.
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
- Do you get angry easily?
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
- What is your favourite flag?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Which countries have you visited?
- Favourite city?
- List your five favourite TV programmes.
- List your five favourite films.
- Are you wealthy?
- Do you work? If so, as what?
- List the subjects you study/have studied.
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What do you like least about yourself?

Have fun!
Hi I’m Heartsurvivor, female age 66, diagnosed prediabetic ten years ago. Diabetes runs in the family and I’ve managed not to become type2. Have comorbidities, hypothyroid for 20 years, 3 years ago had an ‘out of the blue’ massive heart attack and gallbladder removed a few months later. Since then I’ve become fitter, slimmer and maintain a heart (and diabetes) healthy diet because my life depends on it. So glad to be given a second chance by a fabulous paramedic, cardiologist, new GP and cardiac rehab for life (and researchers, funders and everyone else who has helped along the way). Finally getting my head round it all and wonder if all this, including lifelong migraine is part of a genetic syndrome or some of it the result of a big blood transfusion 35 years ago.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Hello everyone, I'm newly diagnosed but I have had total thyroid failure and metabolic syndrome for years. At 4'9" tall and 14st 3lbs BMI 43, my body shape is definitely apple, despite all my healthy eating and exercise daily effort. With many food intolerances and digestive misery, I eat low carb fodmap foods. Does anyone else feel sleepy after eating carbs?

If I really take the Mickey with carbs(we're talking pie sandwiches here) then yeah.......sleepy snooty snore time

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Hi I have been type one since April 1991 and have had the worst year since I was first diagnosed. We used to have check ups every 6 months now if I get a letter once a year I am lucky , then to be told I cannot now use the blood machine I like I now have to use one that is so basic it’s no use at all and if I don’t use it my doctors won’t let me order my lancets or test strips for any other one just the one that they say I must use . It’s now getting beyond a joke . Last year it was over 14 months till I got part one of my diabetes check and 16 months till I got my part 2 . If we want to see a doctor or nurse we have to que outside in all weathers at 8 o clock which when you are not feeling well is not a happy time , then only to be told when you get to the desk that all that days appointments have now gone as people in the know get in the que at 7 am . so this is now what it is like to be a diabetic under Lincolnshire hospital trust now . I just think it’s a joke when you watch tv and the doctors on there you just go to the desk get a appointment they send you straight away for blood tests and even ring you if you have a problem. Come on show it how it really is in real life . Am I loving the 21st century NHS
Scandalous........a real lottery with regards to levels AND standards of care..........I'm shocked by some stories as my team are fantastic :nurse:

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
Hi I’m Heartsurvivor, female age 66, diagnosed prediabetic ten years ago. Diabetes runs in the family and I’ve managed not to become type2. Have comorbidities, hypothyroid for 20 years, 3 years ago had an ‘out of the blue’ massive heart attack and gallbladder removed a few months later. Since then I’ve become fitter, slimmer and maintain a heart (and diabetes) healthy diet because my life depends on it. So glad to be given a second chance by a fabulous paramedic, cardiologist, new GP and cardiac rehab for life (and researchers, funders and everyone else who has helped along the way). Finally getting my head round it all and wonder if all this, including lifelong migraine is part of a genetic syndrome or some of it the result of a big blood transfusion 35 years ago.
Wow.....you're a tough cookie

LorraineH64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
- What is your name?...................................Lorraine
- How old are you?.......................................55
- Are you male or female?...........................Alien lol Female
- Which country are you from?....................UK
- Which city/area do you live in?.................Greater Manchester
- Are you religious?......................................More Spiritual than religious
- Pick three words to describe your personality.....Caring, fun, flirty
- Do you have any pets?...............................A patterdale Terrier and 4 guinea pigs
- Microsoft or Apple?...................................Microsoft
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?....Tennis, Badminton
- Do you get angry easily?..............................No don't think so
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?....yes i have my ears pierced and i have a bee tattoo on my right ankle
- List your five favourite musicians/bands...........The Police, The Script, Sam Smith, Bruno Mars, The 1975
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?......Pop with a bit of Rock thrown in
- What is your favourite flag?.......................????? the union jack i suppose
- Ever gone camping?...................................No thanks
- Ever been in love?......................................Yes
- Ever used fake tan?.....................................Yes
- Which countries have you visited?..............Germany, Austria, France, Poland, Scotland, Wales
- Favourite city?.............................................York
- List your five favourite TV programmes.....The Big Bang Theory, Call the Midwife, Dr Who, For the love of Dogs, Supervet
- List your five favourite films.......................Love Rosie, Titanic, most Disney films, any musicals, some horror films
- Are you wealthy?.........................................Not financially but in other ways yes
- Do you work? If so, as what?.......................Not currently
- List the subjects you study/have studied......I have a degree in English
- What do you like most about yourself?........My eyes and my sense of humour
- What do you like least about yourself?........My weight/ figure

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all...
I'm Eric and live in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada, have been recently diagnosed with T2D (Mar 08/2019) and my A1C was 8.9 at that time. My doctor prescribed metformin (500 mg) twice a day and advised me to lose 40 lbs, so I am following his orders. To lose this weight I am only eating foods that have little effect on my blood glucose levels and so far I am down to about mid 5's mmol/L (90mg/dl USA) fasting (morning wake-up) from 9.4 mmol/L (170 mg/dl USA) at the beginning of March. I have lost 10 pounds and am expecting to be down to 160 lbs by September of this year. I do not follow any special diet plan, just avoid anything that makes blood glucose go above 7 after 1 hour. I enjoy the outdoors, family, tinkering with electronics and machinery (polar opposites), have used Apple, Unix and Microsoft operating systems and am a retired 71 year old cancer survivor (so far).

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hi Im not new but haven't posted in ages. I can usually be found in the what you listening to thread.
I have never been into sugar by way of cakes sweets no snacks no fizzy drinks ever not my scene.
Never been overweight till I started taking .....
Gabapentin statins and Metformin and became T2.
Couple of specialists who treat me for other problems reckon the T2 was likely triggered by the statins.
Having read about statins also having a possible link to dementia they went in the bin .... few years ago now with the Metformin.
I got my so called bad cholesterol down and the good stuff up by going on a low carb high fat diet which I fall off quite often these days but never for long.
Highest reading I ever get on my meter is 10.5.
Just going through withdrwal from heavy opiates. I said to the guy at the pain clinic I want off this stuff because I've been on it five years ad must be something of a junkie now and seeing as he can't guarantee my supply with this Brexit nonsense I want off now in a controlled manner. He sent me off to the vape shop to get CBD .... amazing I didn't actually expect it to work.
diabetes wise feeling pretty good not worrying or struggling.
Spinal problems are my biggest pain .... biggest problem often giving me mobility problems all the time giving me a mix of pain and numbness .... the numbness can be worse than the pain sometimes.
Hi my names Jack and I'm a T2.