What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Sorry I have been AWOL. Mostly been busy but a bit of sulking about my FBG levels and still low carbing hard. Anyway for now just wanted to say have caught up with todays Saturday Kitchen on BBC1 and chef did something with celeriac which was new to me. She took whole celeriac unpeeled and with flavourings wrapped it in foul and baked for 1 1/2 hours. She said it would survive in fridge for up to a week. But the magic was she peeled it was able to slice it as thin as lasagne sheets and use it in her dish (which wasnt lasagne but to wrap around guinea fowl I think). She said it was a breat replacement for pasta.
I was just telling Mr B about the celeriac idea.....can't wait to try it.

Reactions: ianpspurs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @shelley262 , today was a hungry day for me, but unlike shelley, I didn't manage 3 small meals. I managed one small meal and two large ones! Bearing in mind I'm 2kg down on my floor weight, I'm content enough with that, although, delicious as our dinner Indian curry was, I have indigestion. I'm sure that's just the gluttony of it though.

I also had my first sous vide not-really-disaster today.

Having come home, I decided I "needed" to make a new brew of my patent pemding Ginnamon. About 2 hours into the infusion, I noticed the water bath water was a bit discoloured, so clearly I've had a lower seal failure. Aaarrrrgggh.

Needless to say, I rescued the bag, and filtered and bottled it anyway. It's now chilling in the fridge. No idea what it'll be like.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very excited that a couple of colleagues here are returning to the UK for the school Easter break so I am ordering things for them to bring back for me. Then I can get back to baking;)
Reminds me of working in Libya. I used to take back hops, bacon and sausages. :D

Same with the electricity.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just got back from a post-dinner walk. Much needed after eating a ribeye steak as big as my head! :hungry: Note to self, next time don't assume the butcher's idea of medium sized is anything like yours! :joyful:

B: Mocha chia pudding with almonds. Black coffee.
Mid morning: Almond Milk Cappuccino with a dash of cream.
Lunch: Scrambled egg, mushrooms and LC English muffin
S: Baton of HC 75%. Americano with a splash of milk at the garden centre café (no cream!)
D: The most delicious aged ribeye steak, celeriac chips, asparagus, green beans, mushrooms and HM béarnaise sauce. A cheeky glass of red for me. Keto choc mug cake with clotted cream for Mr B, I was too full. Decaf coffee with cream now.

Viv19

You can! I eat chocolate nearly every day. I just make sure it is one of the no sugar brands, like Chocologic, or a 70+% cocoa solid choc like Lindt or Green and Blacks.

And as for Icecream, there are several brands around that are low sugar/low carb. Halo Top is a good brand. Oppo is another. Then there are Breyers and Alpro.

Low carbing really doesn't have to be miserable torture, it just means making different choices.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :)

Thanks Brunneria. I’ll have to have a look. I’m not so sure there’s a wide selection of low carb ice cream here in deepest Bavaria. I do have a simple ice cream maker- perhaps I can make some.
But the chocolate shouldn’t be a problem if it’s Lindt!

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Ham and avocado salad.
Dinner: Steak and veggies.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated cooked spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water, beer.

Just simple stuff cooked with the minimum of fuss, pots and pans.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: I made the Good Dee’s pancake mix again for Mr B. Only had half a portion, but it still made me feel floppy - but only half so floppy. :D
It is definitely going on the Banned list, though no reason why Mr B can’t enjoy it again. He loves pancakes.
L: not needed
D: homemade lambs liver pate, by the spoon. Also Lindt 85%

Lie in tomorrow. Very happy about that! :cat:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum that celeriac idea sounds very promising, @maglil55 a light sponge eh, dare I hope?
No breakfast except tea; mid morning French vanilla filter coffee with cream and 2 tsps inulin. Lunch was later than usual - did an hr on the weights and was a hungry little bunny. Avocado, 3 boiled eggs, some cucumber, 56 gms Blackstick blue cheese and plenty h/m mayo. Then more tea and 2 rows Green and Blacks Raspberry and Hazelnut. Evening meal was Wild Red Shrimp ( Iceland) in chilli sauce with 3 portobello mushrooms instead of pasta as suggested (backed out of trying soy pasta we have). Hoping to get through and 20-30 minute session on exercise bike and slump in front of something good recorded.
It actually came out like a "proper" sponge and it is very stable - not crumbly. It was like working with good old plain flour.
I noticed that one of the recipes used this mix to make pastry for a beef Wellington. They did, however, combine it with a quasi fathead combo. I'm wondering whether it would work as a rough flaky pastry. Did nothing to the BG's as well.
Interesting stuff - oh and it doesnt taste nutty.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Chook hate to disillusion you @dunelm yes in a larger grocery store prob not a bodega. We’ve had salmon cream cheese for decades!
@Viv19 very high cacao percentage chocolate?.... yum yum....very few carbs. Despite @Brunneria ‘s recommendation, I think Halo Top is nasty. Was soooo hopeful!
@Listlad chocolate iiiice cream???! You have a marvelous typo in “skype protein yoghourt”. Quite a picture.
@Goonergal sounds so luxurious, moving out for the decorators!
@Brunneria glad you’ve ID’d the culprit in the floppsies.
@maglil55 re the baking mix (for which thanks!) you must use some whole different kind of oat fiber than I have! Mine is aggressively awful tasting, and that much all in one recipe would turn me off immediately. I just boughtwhat was on Amazon. No stores I went to had it.
Hungry day on this side of the pond too!
Bfast had run out of avocado so made a little chia pudding. Note to self: don’t try microwaving chia pudding again. Egg, DWSAC, and three baby bella mushrumps.
Lunch 2x seltzer water, Dr Pepper and root beer.
Second lunch bc I was falling asleep at the wheel and am so tired I can barely move but had to walk: generous butter serving. It worked for about the length of the dragging exhausted walk.
Supper: I’d found huge leftover grilled tuna steak. After I’d eaten all the small pieces that were amazingly tender, I realized I was supposed to have cooked them further. yikes! Celery, some manchego. Second note to self : it really pays to marinate for days/weeks in the freezer!
It’s not quite 8:00. I am starting the ever-longer bedtime routine in 4 minutes. I expect to crawl into bed at 10:30. Can’t even stay awake while thumbing here on the little virtual keybd.
3 minutes. Goodnight all!!

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch today: Banana prawn sandwiches, fresh out of the sea early this morning.

Boil water, put green prawns in and wait till the water comes back to the boil again, then boil for five minutes.

WFMLzx6.jpg

After coming out of the icy water for a couple of minutes to stop them cooking further.

LJHLKTO.jpg

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Brunneria. I’ll have to have a look. I’m not so sure there’s a wide selection of low carb ice cream here in deepest Bavaria. I do have a simple ice cream maker- perhaps I can make some.
But the chocolate shouldn’t be a problem if it’s Lindt!
You certainly can make your own ice cream! I have simply used clotted cream and strawberries, blended it together and put it into the ice cream maker with a shot of vodka to stop it freezing solid! Can't remember what else I used to make but sure you can substitute strawberries for other things, eg peanut butter, add dark choc chips etc. There are bound to be loads of recipes on the internet :hungry:. Or see what happens if you put Greek yoghurt in the ice cream maker...

Reactions: zauberflote

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reminds me of working in Libya. I used to take back hops, bacon and sausages. :D

Same with the electricity.
Were the hops for some home brew?! My order consists of a large quantity of almond flour, psyllium husks, xylitol, liquid Stevia, coconut oil, cacao powder and chia seeds! Hope friends won't be stopped and searched at customs;)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Were the hops for some home brew?! My order consists of a large quantity of almond flour, psyllium husks, xylitol, liquid Stevia, coconut oil, cacao powder and chia seeds! Hope friends won't be stopped and searched at customs;)
Yes, for the home brew. As alcohol was not on sale there. We could brew our own privately though and hops were unavailable. If caught with pork products at customs they would simply remove them and throw them on the floor. But often they got through so it was worth the risk. :D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You certainly can make your own ice cream! I have simply used clotted cream and strawberries, blended it together and put it into the ice cream maker with a shot of vodka to stop it freezing solid! Can't remember what else I used to make but sure you can substitute strawberries for other things, eg peanut butter, add dark choc chips etc. There are bound to be loads of recipes on the internet :hungry:. Or see what happens if you put Greek yoghurt in the ice cream maker...
Thanks for the alcohol tip. Anyone make Gelato in a domestic ice cream maker? Info I have seen suggests speed of churn in all but the very expensive ones is not right.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the alcohol tip. Anyone make Gelato in a domestic ice cream maker? Info I have seen suggests speed of churn in all but the very expensive ones is not right.

I guess the way forward, Ian, would be if you have a domestic icecream maker to give it s go.

Lakeland do them fron £20 - £300, although, interestingly those stating they make gelato too appear, as you say, the more expensive. This one https://www.lakeland.co.uk/15912/Cuisinart-Gelato-and-Ice-Cream-Maker-1-5L-ICE100BCU : states,

"2 Paddles for Ice Cream and Gelato

As ice cream and gelato have different dairy contents, they need to churn slightly differently to retain that perfect consistency. This machine comes with 2 separate paddles included, guaranteeing you the perfect results every time, whatever scoop you’ve opted for."

Your mission, should you decide to accept it is...........

@maglil55 is often the font of all technical knowledge on culinary matters

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It actually came out like a "proper" sponge and it is very stable - not crumbly. It was like working with good old plain flour.
I noticed that one of the recipes used this mix to make pastry for a beef Wellington. They did, however, combine it with a quasi fathead combo. I'm wondering whether it would work as a rough flaky pastry. Did nothing to the BG's as well.
Interesting stuff - oh and it doesnt taste nutty.
@maglil55 did you actually use collagen - that seems very expensive? would protein powder work?

Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.

Ian, here’s where your old hand-crank churn comes into play!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 did you actually use collagen - that seems very expensive? would protein powder work?
I did indeed use collagen. I agree its pricey but it was only 3/4 cup in a batch of THM blend which will probably do 5 bakes. I got the LINEAVI one on Amazon.
The bulky one was the oat fibre. For that I used a UK place @zauberflote - my diet shop (same place as I buy the Monk Fruit sweetener). Brand I got was Lifesource Foods. You would be able to get THM baking blend. Dont know how it is price wise though. It's not sold in the UK.

https://mydiet-shop.co.uk/fibers/741-lifesource-foods-oat-fiber-500.html

Ian - they are both protein powders as you are probably aware but I decided that since this was attempting to replicate the THM baking blend I might as well get the real thing. It looks like it will last a while but I'll certainly need more oat fibre but that's better at £7.99 for 500g.

Reactions: zauberflote