What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't think I posted yesterday's food...

B: none
L: oomi noodles with homemade lamb's liver pate stirred in (with cream, which made a fab sauce)
D: roast pork omelette
S: sliced leedammer and a 1/4 glass of milk.

Odd I chose the milk. Not my usual late night tipple. But no bg nightmares/sweaty wakeups, so all is well.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Who's stolen the Sun???? It was beautifully sunny when I got up and now it's all clouded over and turned quite chilly!!

I spent a happy hour filling tubs with potting compost and plants... obviously being watched by the Blackbird couple who live in s tree at the bottom if my garden because as soon as I went indoors they both came down and pulled out all the plants and started digging in the pots. :banghead:

Today....

Breakfast: Just black decaff coffee
Lunch: some cucumber 'soldiers' dipped in some salmon Philadelphia (nice new variety on introductory special for £1 in Asda and probably other supermarkets too)
Dinner: Roast chicken, h/m sugar free cranberry sauce, sausagemeat, onion and sage stuffing balls, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, Brussels sprouts, runner beans, gravy
Dessert: just strawberries
Drinks: black decaff coffee, still spring water, red wine

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Who's stolen the Sun???? It was beautifully sunny when I got up and now it's all clouded over and turned quite chilly!!

I spent a happy hour filling tubs with potting compost and plants... obviously being watched by the Blackbird couple who live in s tree at the bottom if my garden because as soon as I went indoors they both came down and pulled out all the plants and started digging in the pots. :banghead:

Today....

Lunch: some cucumber 'soldiers' dipped in some salmon Philadelphia (nice new variety on introductory special for £1 in Asda and probably other supermarkets too)
Dinner: Roast chicken, h/m sugar free cranberry sauce, sausagemeat, onion and sage stuffing balls, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, Brussels sprouts, runner beans, gravy
Like that menu so relax and enjoy. As a bystander, I feel Mr @Chook will be a whole lot happier with that menu than fasting. AmIrite? just curious

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Today....

Salmon Philadelphia - must try some of that. Wonder if it’s on sale over here. Will have a look.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B - 3 eggs scrambled with onion, tomato and berbere spice; 1 slice mixed seed bread.
L - electricity went off at 9am and was still off at lunch time so lunch was 2 slices of ham and 2 slices of cheese - only things I had that didn't need cooking!
D - fortunately electricity came back on at 3.30pm so was able to cook:) Cheesy cauli mash which I haven't made since being here. Great to have rediscovered as it was delicious:hungry:; grilled tilapia fillets; some kind of spicy-ish condiment purchased from a Chinese corner shop. No idea what the ingredients are as it is all in Chinese. Tasted ok and added a bit of flavour to the dish.

I am very excited that a couple of colleagues here are returning to the UK for the school Easter break so I am ordering things for them to bring back for me. Then I can get back to baking;)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 5.7 FBG 6.1. A very stable day. Obviously the tripe does it. I was going to have another bowl but decided to transfer last 2 portions to the freezer until I remember to get more spicy beans to cook another batch.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice Dr Almond golden bread with a pork pate from Lidl.
L. Nothing. Hubby watching football on TV so I took son and Grandson to Tesco as he wanted to spend some of his money on Lego and I wanted travel games (Hibs won!)
Then made a cinnamon roll cake

https://northernnester.com/cinnamon-roll-cake/

I've mixed up the THM Baking blend (sorry @ianpspurs it still had almond and coconut flour in it but smaller quantities). Got to say it works well. Lovely light sponge. I've had a tiny bit (well you've got to taste it) and if you love cinnamon you'll love this. THM pretend baking mix is here. I've stored the rest in a container.

https://tjstaste.com/tjs-basic-baking-mix/

The 'icing' I used the one I told @Goonergal about. Just a mix of philly, Fage yoghurt, sweetener and I put a touch of vanilla extract in it.
D. Boiled egg, slice each ox tongue, roast pork, mortadella and veggie chips. Coleslaw. Hubby decided he didn't want ribs so switched to cold cuts. I am certain to have a decaffeinated coffee and a bit of that cinnamon roll cake (struggling to stay away from it just now).
Ladies - it is in the CMT circle.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I so want to eat some chocolate. Or ice cream, or .......

You can! I eat chocolate nearly every day. I just make sure it is one of the no sugar brands, like Chocologic, or a 70+% cocoa solid choc like Lindt or Green and Blacks.

And as for Icecream, there are several brands around that are low sugar/low carb. Halo Top is a good brand. Oppo is another. Then there are Breyers and Alpro.

Low carbing really doesn't have to be miserable torture, it just means making different choices.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. Sorry I have been AWOL. Mostly been busy but a bit of sulking about my FBG levels and still low carbing hard. Anyway for now just wanted to say have caught up with todays Saturday Kitchen on BBC1 and chef did something with celeriac which was new to me. She took whole celeriac unpeeled and with flavourings wrapped it in foul and baked for 1 1/2 hours. She said it would survive in fridge for up to a week. But the magic was she peeled it was able to slice it as thin as lasagne sheets and use it in her dish (which wasnt lasagne but to wrap around guinea fowl I think). She said it was a breat replacement for pasta.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum thanks for posting the roast celeriac tip, what a good idea.
@Chook I feel your frustration re the blackbirds making sport with your newly planted tubs. Very irritating! I put some new plants in the wall infront of our house today, so now I’m watching like a hawk.

Breakfast today was 1 rasher, 1 fried egg and 1 sausage grom Mr C’s sausage subscription one of the girls got him for Christmas. Black pepper and sage: delicious. CWC
L: 2 leftover tuna melt muffins. I think I actually preferred them cold, although they were lovely warm. Lazy mousse after.
D: The trusty Instant Pot butter chicken from twosleevers.com and cabbage poriyal which tastes wonderful. Small portion HC egg

@BibaBee was it you who told us about the Dash water? I got some from Amazon - the raspberry flavour. Very nice - even nicer with a shot of raspberry gin!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum that celeriac idea sounds very promising, @maglil55 a light sponge eh, dare I hope?
No breakfast except tea; mid morning French vanilla filter coffee with cream and 2 tsps inulin. Lunch was later than usual - did an hr on the weights and was a hungry little bunny. Avocado, 3 boiled eggs, some cucumber, 56 gms Blackstick blue cheese and plenty h/m mayo. Then more tea and 2 rows Green and Blacks Raspberry and Hazelnut. Evening meal was Wild Red Shrimp ( Iceland) in chilli sauce with 3 portobello mushrooms instead of pasta as suggested (backed out of trying soy pasta we have). Hoping to get through and 20-30 minute session on exercise bike and slump in front of something good recorded.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Shock horror I ended up with TWO meals today. What is the world coming to? Technically it wasn't much of a meal for lunch...

Breakfast: The ol' CWC
Lunch: I went feral on a chicken thigh and some wings...
Dinner: Tandoori mixed grill with some saag paal, it was absolutely delicious!

Going to test later to see if there wasn't more to that tandoori than meets the eye...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bought heavy cream to make low carb chocolate ice cream again. It was delicious last time.

Breakfast : Egg and bacon. 200ml glass of full fat milk.
Lunch : Chicke strips in batter (all I could “legitimately” eat in MacDonalds with family today)
Dinner : Two slices of very low carb livlife bread, John West chilli infused tuna, Brie and corned beef.
Skype protein yoghourt and stewed rhubarb.

Tea

Went with the Skyr protein yoghourt to counter all the nuts, higher fat Greek yoghourt and soft cream cheese I have been eating.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum thank you for celeriac idea would be great for a dauphinois too would think. I used to cook potatoes in skins and peel to use either for dauphinois or mash - great way to reduce waste and makes it easier thank you. Nowneed to buy a whole celeriac and give it a go.
@DJC3 that new flavoured water sounds good must give it a try.
Hungry day today so stuck to three small meals again. I’m out and about and busy next few days so may be eating less.
Breakfast one w1 sausage and egg
Lunch sardines in olive oil and lc seeded crispbreads and avfair few nuts followed by 100% choc buttons
Dinner chicken curry with gin and soda followed by sf jelly with yoghurt and cream

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Moving out tomorrow so the decorators can move in. Last bits of clearing/tidying almost done.

One large afternoon snack and one meal today. Snack was whipped cream with Lidl cocoa and erythritol and 50g salted macadamias.

Dinner was beef short rib.

@BibaBee @DJC3 couldn’t find the Dash in Waitrose but bought a raspberry Aqua Libre to try instead. Still in fridge. Will report back once tried.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up bacon, eggs and two mini San Marzano tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: peanut carb killa bar and black coffee.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway, crispy duck, with two mini pancakes a smudge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum thanks for posting the roast celeriac tip, what a good idea.
@Chook I feel your frustration re the blackbirds making sport with your newly planted tubs. Very irritating! I put some new plants in the wall infront of our house today, so now I’m watching like a hawk.

Breakfast today was 1 rasher, 1 fried egg and 1 sausage grom Mr C’s sausage subscription one of the girls got him for Christmas. Black pepper and sage: delicious. CWC
L: 2 leftover tuna melt muffins. I think I actually preferred them cold, although they were lovely warm. Lazy mousse after.
D: The trusty Instant Pot butter chicken from twosleevers.com and cabbage poriyal which tastes wonderful. Small portion HC egg

@BibaBee was it you who told us about the Dash water? I got some from Amazon - the raspberry flavour. Very nice - even nicer with a shot of raspberry gin!
Yes it was! Glad you liked it. Keep an eye out for the brand Le Joli, I think you'll love the raspberry and rhubarb flavour.

Reactions: DJC3