What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch out at Patisserie Valerie: eggs Royale with mushrooms in place of the brioche.
Mid afternoon still out, so went to Nero’s: raspberry phd bar with a coconut cappuccino.
Dinner: keralan chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

7F859DCF-C01E-455C-86D2-5C85F73B02DC.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree really, I like it quite rare but 6yr olds tend not to go for blood ooze.
Try this recipe - it’s the first one I followed and it looked pretty similar to the picture given. It also uses a 1.5kg joint so should match yours.

www.everynookandcranny.net/instant-pot-4-minute-beef/
Probably way too picky - middle looks close but outside makes me very suspicious it would be far too dry. Looks like beef needs to be rib, slow cooked i.e. overnight for joints but thanks for the kind link.

Reactions: dunelm

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably way too picky - middle looks close but outside makes me very suspicious it would be far too dry. Looks like beef needs to be rib, slow cooked i.e. overnight for joints but thanks for the kind link.

How do you manage rare with overnight cooking?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you manage rare with overnight cooking?
Oven does 60 degrees - chose one that went low deliberately - and beef is often big. Sous vide could be even lower for smaller joints.

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oven does 60 degrees - chose one that went low deliberately - and beef is often big. Sous vide could be even lower for smaller joints.

Wow! Sounds great, do you just seal the outside first?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: 2 slices of the Dr Almond bread. One toasted with marmite, the other untoasted, with cheese and butter. Very nice - and much nicer than I expected. Though not real bread. A bit rubbery. It sat rather heavy on my stomach too, so will try more tomorrow and see if that is as heavy. Mr B loves it. Of course. It is almost bread. Around 1.3g carbs per slice apparently.

L: a mug of the excess broth from my tarragon and mustard pork.

D: out with friend. Double beefburger, onion rings (irresistible, I am afraid), and about a mouthful of coleslaw. No chips. No bun. Left 4/5ths of coleslaw and all the tomato gherkin gubbins.

It depresses me that my burgers are much nicer. I think they use low fat beef, whereas I use 20%, which make theirs dry and hard, while mine are succulent and flavourful. I think we use similar amounts of garlic. :wacky:
But food out should be good, shouldn’t it? It should be better. Otherwise there’s no point going out, paying more, and having the people on the next table knock your chair every time they move.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
What are marsala eggs? Are they spicy? If so how do you make them?
Hi DJC3. This was a new egg recipe that I tried this morning. Fry some onion until soft, add chopped garlic and green chilli, cook for a further minute. Then add chopped tomatoes and fenugreek. Then s scramble in eggs. Delicious!

Reactions: DJC3

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like a Quiche Lorraine without the pastry?
Yes, sort of, but more broccoli quiche than quiche Lorraine this time. I sometimes do a frittata with bacon, which ticks the quiche Lorraine box nicely. It's a brilliant chuck whatever you have in the fridge dish, nice cold too. It's a staple in our house.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch out at Patisserie Valerie: eggs Royale with mushrooms in place of the brioche.
Mid afternoon still out, so went to Nero’s: raspberry phd bar with a coconut cappuccino.
Dinner: keralan chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

View attachment 32239
That hollandaise sauce looks lush! :hungry:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DJC3. This was a new egg recipe that I tried this morning. Fry some onion until soft, add chopped garlic and green chilli, cook for a further minute. Then add chopped tomatoes and fenugreek. Then s scramble in eggs. Delicious!

Sounds it!

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Corned silverside, avocado salad.
Dinner: Chicken drummies marinated in Nando's Peri Peri Marinade.
Breakfast: Omelette, bacon, tomato.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@shelley262 what a great concert opportunity! In a fun weekend too.
@Listlad orange cordial. Really. lol! Ick. Re recipes... that’s why I like it written down. It only takes half the time to put together when you don’t have to listen to chit chat. Also, it seems to assume that you have it memorized after the first time. But somebody said, on the cook’s website it is written down, so she’s forgiven!
@Goonergal and yes, passing up that “buy 5, save $5.00 will not tempt me next time. But it’s all useless really bc I love peanut butter just as much, and all the numbers I have found on jars and webernet tell me the carbs are the same for the two.
@Chook congratulations on your good work and resulting good eye news.
@BibaBee “pop”! You said 6g a pop and I remembered my mother’s popovers! Thank you for that!!! They resembled YP in muffin tins but were much lighter. Oh man walk down memory lane....
@Brunneria I am so very very with you on the “restaurant food should be good, better, extraordinary if you’re going to pay money for it.
My turn:
Bfast usual 1/2 avocado, egg, DWSAC
Lunch 2x seltzer and a DWEVOO&salt. Interesting combo. Very “charred” flavor, even though I only let the coffee sit half its usual time. I will have it again I know.
First supper celery, a “how will this turn out?” mystery microwave thing. Polite amount of AB (no ladles were harmed in the making of this) with: a little coconut flour, ~2 tbsp flax meal, was there another flour? Don’t think so. And an egg white. All stirred up and microwaved as needed. I doubt Anybody here would eat it but I thought it was really on the right track for something. A very very heavy and unfortunately somewhat dry “loaf” appeared in the prep cup. Definitely filled me up!
Rehearsal. All that awful piccolo band music. Break in middle so
Second supper 3 hrs later, pills time. Chunk of Cabot clothbound cheddar
Drove through one of those scary thunderstorms where you can’t see fir the rain, fog lights on, flashers on, and then lightning strikes a couple hundred feet away and the car jumps 6” in the air with you! (figure of speech you know).
Sleep well all sleepers, good morning tomorrow!
And....:
IMG_8022.jpg

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Dr Snoddy

I love the sound of those eggs - I just added green chillies to my Asda order to make it. Did you use fresh or tinned tomatoes?

@Brunneria

I completely agree that eating out isn't worth the hassle unless you can get something you wouldn't normally have at home or is better than you can make it yourself. Now I just need to persuade Mr C if that.

My eyes are back to normal!!!! They were still a bit blurry when I tried to watch the 11 o'clock News last night.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Whoops - forgot today's menu...

Breakfast: Small chunk of Brie (according to the wrapper it's zero carb)
Lunch: 30g mixed walnuts, pecans and Brazil nuts
Dinner: Prawn curry and cauliflower rice
Drinks: black decaff coffee and still spring water

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, it’s 0750 ish - and now in Texas, somewhere between Austin and San Antonio, staying with my sister and family.
We went to San Antonio yesterday; 85 degrees F - whatever that is. Wonderful walks down the river and of course a wander round The Alamo.
So. Food. Yesterday, can’t remember anything further back than that and it would only be boring.
Breakfast; Texas sausage, eggs and avocado.
Lunch at a place where you choose your own sandwich fillings; a lettuce wrap with crab, avocado, onion and coleslaw.
Dinner; roast fish with salads of many sorts. Texas wine called Lost Draw, very nice.
Off to Fredericksburg today and luckily it’s where the Lost Draw vineyards are locate. Ye Ha!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, it’s 0750 ish - and now in Texas, somewhere between Austin and San Antonio, staying with my sister and family.
We went to San Antonio yesterday; 85 degrees F - whatever that is. Wonderful walks down the river and of course a wander round The Alamo.
So. Food. Yesterday, can’t remember anything further back than that and it would only be boring.
Breakfast; Texas sausage, eggs and avocado.
Lunch at a place where you choose your own sandwich fillings; a lettuce wrap with crab, avocado, onion and coleslaw.
Dinner; roast fish with salads of many sorts. Texas wine called Lost Draw, very nice.
Off to Fredericksburg today and luckily it’s where the Lost Draw vineyards are locate. Ye Ha!

Awww. That took me back. Austin (we deliberately went there by train, to experience US trains (which are veeeerrrrryyyy different from UK ones!), and then stayed in one of those classic motels you see on the TV all the time. Seedy bathroom. 2 double beds. Dreadful mattresses. Coin operated vibrating bedframe! haha!!! then on to San Antonio. The river. Wandering along a street and picking an eatery at random, then SERIOUSLY regretting it, because the food was DIRE.

And everyone assuming that we wouldn't like the Tex-Mex food because it was too hot, but to us it was mild.

When my Texan friends came to stay with us here in UK, we took them to the local indian restaurant, and they nearly died of chilli poisoning, particularly the lime pickle. Can't say we didn't warn them...

Happy, happy memories. And I smile every time I see a motel on tv.

Today:
B: very late. 2 slices of Dr Almond bread (slightly less rubbery today) toasted with peanut butter on one, almond butter on the other.
L: not needed
D: will be pork shoulder steak in a cream, tarragon and mustard sauce. I would like to thicken the sauce, but frankly can't be bothered to phaff with it, so it will be a thin sauce.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Brunneria glad you got the trains and cheap motels behind you! UK trains are on my bucket list. And when I visit you, DO NOT take me to your local Indian restaurant!!!! I have negative tolerance for more than one grain of simple cayenne pepper in my serving. Makes me sad, bc I love curry, but it’s the non-hot richness I go for.
Can you not simply simmer your sauce a few minutes? Or is that phaffy too.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria glad you got the trains and cheap motels behind you! UK trains are on my bucket list. And when I visit you, DO NOT take me to your local Indian restaurant!!!! I have negative tolerance for more than one grain of simple cayenne pepper in my serving. Makes me sad, bc I love curry, but it’s the non-hot richness I go for.
Can you not simply simmer your sauce a few minutes? Or is that phaffy too.

I've got to ask.... why are UK trains on your bucket list? After commuting to work by train for years I'd be very happy to never see the inside of another one, ever.

I don't like anything really hot. When he's in one of his culinary experimenting moods Mr C will make two identical curries with all the same spices (which he likes to toast in a dry pan and grind himself) but one will be spicy hot and the other won't then we do a bit of mixing at the table to work out which we prefer.