What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Absolutely exhausted tonight. Moved back home this morning and have spent day cleaning, sorting, assembling a new chair and moving stuff all over the place. Didn’t get rid of decorator until about 1.30pm and he still has to come back tomorrow to finish tiling and sort out a few snags. Place does look much better but still a way to go with sorting everything out.

Consequently an OMAD day. Dinner was beef short rib. Unusually I couldn’t eat it all!

@maglil55 sounds like you’re having a rough time.Take care.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Add a wee prosecco to today. I needed it after all the rolling, chilling, turning etc. I am glad to say it was kind of successful but as a VERY short short crust. My fear was I'd get an oily mess - didnt happen and if I'd been wanting shortcrust I would have been delighted with the result. It was also really good it not being fathead based. Anyway, I used 1 cup of my "pretend" THM blend (2 cups oat fibre, 1 cup coconut flour, 1 cup golden flax meal, 3/4 cup collagen, 1/2 cup almond flour, 1 tablespoon glucomannan - makes 5 cups).
So 1 cup of the mix. Add 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt or rock salt, 2 tsp baking powder and 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten. Mix then chill in the fridge.
Cut 70g unsalted butter, wrap in clingfilm and pop in the freezer for 30 mins.
It's important to keep everything chilled. This is just normal procedure when making puff pastry. If you are expecting this to be quick let me assure you it isn't.
OK , after 30 mins remove the butter from the freezer, dip it in the "flour" mix and roughly grate. If you work quick you can do it in one go otherwise wrap and get it back in the freezer. Add the grated butter to the flour mix and quickly mix through. As the butter gets coated start to add ice cold water a tablespoon at a time (should only need 3 or 4 tablespoons). I had a jug with a few ice cubes in it on the side. As it comes together get it wrapped again and back in the freezer for 15 mins.
Now the "fun" bit. Take the "pastry" onto a "floured" sheet (I used oat fibre) and roll into a rectangle. I found on the first 3 rolls it was very crumbly so put it together and persevere. Fold the rectangle into 3, turn 45° roll and fold into 3 again. Wrap and put back in the freezer for 10/15 mins. I did this 8 times. By the 4th roll it was coming together.
Until I was ready to use it I kept it wrapped in the fridge. I cut a piece off (rest is wrapped in the fridge). Rolled the small piece a bit , egg washed it and cooked in a pre heated oven at 210c fan.
It did rise but it wasnt flaky.
Tomorrow I plan to try making sausage rolls with some of the pastry.
It was successful enough to keep experimenting. Current form would be great for a fruit pie with some sweetener added to the mix.
Next attempt at Flaky I intend to mill the mix a bit more in the Kenwood and return to the traditional way of adding butter I.e. make the "pastry" with water then add little bits of icy butter, fold and roll. I feel the lamination will work better.
It's a lot of work but having made puff pastry before I knew what I was in for. If I can perfect this I'll be making a large batch and freezing it!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Two HiLo toast with mackerel pate and cucumber. Black tea, black coffee.
L. Leftover Spanish Quorn casserole, soft cheese and crackers.
Snack. Dark chocolate bar
D. Gin and slim. Courgette, sweet corn and cheese fritters with mint and lemon yoghurt, asparagus, kale, broccoli and peas.
Lovely to be able to cook and watch the foxes playing in the garden at the same time!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Another busy work day but stuck to three small meals.
Breakfast one rasher bacon and one egg
Lunch tin of sardines in olive oil a few nuts and four lc seeded crispbreads
Dinner slow cooked beef served with asparagus and cauliflower cheese with small glass red wine followed by two teaspoons choc cream with extra cream now having decaf coffee with two squares montezumas choc with orange oil.
Off to mums first thing tomorrow via train for a three day visit this time - hospital appts etc! Planning shopping trip on way as I tend to sort the food now on my regular trips. Some intermittent fasting may be involved!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Add a wee prosecco to today. I needed it after all the rolling, chilling, turning etc. I am glad to say it was kind of successful but as a VERY short short crust. My fear was I'd get an oily mess - didnt happen and if I'd been wanting shortcrust I would have been delighted with the result. It was also really good it not being fathead based. Anyway, I used 1 cup of my "pretend" THM blend (2 cups oat fibre, 1 cup coconut flour, 1 cup golden flax meal, 3/4 cup collagen, 1/2 cup almond flour, 1 tablespoon glucomannan - makes 5 cups).
So 1 cup of the mix. Add 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt or rock salt, 2 tsp baking powder and 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten. Mix then chill in the fridge.
It's important to keep everything chilled. This is just normal procedure when making puff pastry. If you are expecting this to be quick let me assure you it isn't.
OK , after 30 mins remove the butter from the freezer, dip it in the "flour" mix and roughly grate. If you work quick you can do it in one go otherwise wrap and get it back in the freezer. Add the grated butter to the flour mix and quickly mix through. As the butter gets coated start to add ice cold water a tablespoon at a time (should only need 3 or 4 tablespoons). I had a jug with a few ice cubes in it on the side. As it comes together get it wrapped again and back in the freezer for 15 mins.
Now the "fun" bit. Take the "pastry" onto a "floured" sheet (I used oat fibre) and roll into a rectangle. I found on the first 3 rolls it was very crumbly so put it together and persevere. Fold the rectangle into 3, turn 45° roll and fold into 3 again. Wrap and put back in the freezer for 10/15 mins. I did this 8 times. By the 4th roll it was coming together.
Until I was ready to use it I kept it wrapped in the fridge. I cut a piece off (rest is wrapped in the fridge). Rolled the small piece a bit , egg washed it and cooked in a pre heated oven at 210c fan.
It was successful enough to keep experimenting. Current form would be great for a fruit pie with some sweetener added to the mix.
Next attempt at Flaky I intend to mill the mix a bit more in the Kenwood and return to the traditional way of adding butter I.e. make the "pastry" with water then add little bits of icy butter, fold and roll. I feel the lamination will work better.
It's a lot of work but having made puff pastry before I knew what I was in for. If I can perfect this I'll be making a large batch and freezing it!

Have you thought about selling your low carb creations? Maybe on-line? I'd buy this. I really miss pastry and the fat head pastry ( either as pastry or pizza) just wasn't a good substitute for me.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Being cussed has seen me make the "right" LC choices from last night's 80 birthday party and what was potentially on offer today. Last night I could have eaten for 4 hrs solidly and drunk plenty but ... no LC food options and no sugar free soft drinks or even bottled water. Did buy a glass of wine - something called Isla Negra - 2 sips convinced me it was undrinkable. Today I ate roast pork, broccoli and cabbage with gravy*. As it was 25/26 hrs since last meal I also had 2 strawberries, 5 or 6 raspberries and some extra thick double cream. Bit later I had a little Morrisons Salted Caramel LC ice cream and blackstick blue cheese. Also had a petite glass of Madeira. I can't pretend I didn't really want the carby food last night or the roast potatoes, apple sauce, Yorkshires or rhubarb pie and custard today. Cussedness is not the same as believing you have done the right thing but it will do for now. Also really pleased I did not test this weekend - random higher than expected readings could have tested me too far.
*Without the gravy I wouldn't have eaten that - can't find a way round that however cussed I am - any ideas?

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being cussed has seen me make the "right" LC choices from last night's 80 birthday party and what was potentially on offer today. Last night I could have eaten for 4 hrs solidly and drunk plenty but ... no LC food options and no sugar free soft drinks or even bottled water. Did buy a glass of wine - something called Isla Negra - 2 sips convinced me it was undrinkable. Today I ate roast pork, broccoli and cabbage with gravy*. As it was 25/26 hrs since last meal I also had 2 strawberries, 5 or 6 raspberries and some extra thick double cream. Bit later I had a little Morrisons Salted Caramel LC ice cream and blackstick blue cheese. Also had a petite glass of Madeira. I can't pretend I didn't really want the carby food last night or the roast potatoes, apple sauce, Yorkshires or rhubarb pie and custard today. Cussedness is not the same as believing you have done the right thing but it will do for now. Also really pleased I did not test this weekend - random higher than expected readings could have tested me too far.
*Without the gravy I wouldn't have eaten that - can't find a way round that however cussed I am - any ideas?

Maybe its just me... but I don't aim for perfect. I am happy with 90%. If a splodge of gravy makes an otherwise low carb meal palatable then enjoy a little of the gravy and don't beat yourself up about it. My way of looking at this way of eating is that this is the way we have to eat for the rest of our lives, but it won't be a life worth living if we can't relax a little just occasionally.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you thought about selling your low carb creations? Maybe on-line? I'd buy this. I really miss pastry and the fat head pastry ( either as pastry or pizza) just wasn't a good substitute for me.
I'd buy it too!
I only ever made puff just to prove to myself I could do it but I have to admit it was a lot better than the bought stuff. However, not enough to convince me to continue making it. Never considered selling the creations but I do enjoy experimenting when I get the time.
Large scale manufacture would need a visit to Dragons Den and I doubt they'd see the benefit. Having grown up with restaurant work (with that being my late sister and her husband's career) I've always understood the processes and work on the principle most things can be adjusted. Since being diagnosed I've always thought there is a gap in the market for a chain of keto/low carb restaurants but too much like hard work now.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe its just me... but I don't aim for perfect. I am happy with 90%. If a splodge of gravy makes an otherwise low carb meal palatable then enjoy a little of the gravy and don't beat yourself up about it. My way of looking at this way of eating is that this is the way we have to eat for the rest of our lives, but it won't be a life worth living if we can't relax a little just occasionally.
I think I will/would see things that way if or when I feel/felt confident this WOE works for me. At the moment it is still like learning a new skill or settling in to a new role/promotion. Not fully comfortable yet or seeing results that really please me so really focusing on fine detail. Appreciate the perspective though.

Reactions: zauberflote

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I will/would see things that way if or when I feel/felt confident this WOE works for me. At the moment it is still like learning a new skill or settling in to a new role/promotion. Not fully comfortable yet or seeing results that really please me so really focusing on fine detail. Appreciate the perspective though.
“Losing weight and exercising properly seems to give better bg management for T2”.

I believe you. Or should I say I believe it helps enormously.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Previous food:
Wednesday, small portion mini shredded wheats with milk, no lunch, not much to drink, probably a bit dehydrated. Arrived at sons and out for dinner. Four course meal in the evening. Tried to choose low carb, but not many suitable choices. Of course it was also high alcohol. Tea to drink during the day.
Thursday. No breakfast, or lunch, few teas to drink. Another massive blowout meal. Lebanese this time. Absolutely delicious and mostly low carb, again significant amounts of alcohol. Didn't order a main course, just two starters. Good call, both the men were unable to finish theirs.
Friday, one slice of toast with mashed avocado and marmite, tea, and no lunch, other son arriving, we had dinner at home. Three course meal again! Toast and pate, steak and pepper sauce with veg for me, others also had potatoes. Apple strudel, raspberries and cream, probably umpteen carbs, but delish and also suitable for the vegan in the family. ( she was out working while we ate the steaks) then we had bread and cheese, more cheese than bread for me. White wine tonight, others had red.
Saturday: oh my poor stomach! It's complaining bitterly about overloading.
So no breakfast, ham and cheese sandwich for lunch, this was about 3pm, best choice available at the time. Both son and partner were working the evening shift, so we didn't have dinner. I had soup, and most of a tiny Bakewell tart, he had toast and cheese. Much later few pieces of chocolate, three or four. Neither of us had wine. Our stomachs thanked us.
Today, yoghurt, raspberries, cream and a teaspoon of honey. Luxurious breakfast. Lunch, slice of toast with marmite.
Goodbye to son and partner, driving to daughters.
Dinner roast chicken, veg, another Apple strudel, but only a tiny slice this time, along with yoghurt and berries. Another alcohol free day.
So there you have it. No doubt some inaccuracies as posting days late. Some Brazil nuts and a few squares of chocolate, cannot remember which day.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@dunelm yep tripadvisor is the way to go and @DCUKMod I get these Starbux ones from time to time in an airport, and can almost guarantee you that the recipe includes no techniques I don't know what they are (sous vide for example, and yes I looked it up with IP and it seemed to involve plastic bags?).
@Chook er... my cremated father lies in a grave, as do my parents in law. But I knew what you meant. Sometimes people buy huge fancy caskets for open casket funeral, and then cremate the whole shebang afterwards. So there would be a funeral with flowers. In some US and Americas cultures, the funeral is extremely integral to life, and the best you can afford is a sign of respect towards the deceased and their community.
@maglil55 glad you had a short respite on the legs anyway, and that your numbers are trending better. Sounds like your pastry will be a triumph sooner or later. I think that a specialty pop-up restaurant would be well liked! I'd go for sure.
Since I had a snack of many doll-house ladles of skyr and almond butter last night, I figured today I'd try ? @Listlad 's ? @dunelm 's ? chocolate gelato. And while I'm at it eat lunch too.
Bfast caution to the winds two eggs, (too filling), 1/2 avocado, DWSAC.
Lunch son made pulled chix barbecue with a mustard sauce. Very good. Sauce 9 carbs/2 tbsp serving, so that might have been a 5 carb hit. Cucumbers/onions in vinegar no sugar, and our family standby Vermont Cabot super aged cheese. They seem to be sliding into LC but I'm not mentioning that! DIL made, to compensate, chocolate peanut butter cookies. (You do know that if you have a diet Pepsi with your Snickers bar, they cancel each other out!). I had another slice of cheese. Celery.
Came home and made the gelato. Can already tell it will be so much too good that I can't make more. Licking the spoon was an adventure in dangerous living.
Supper should be small, yes? We'll see.
Off to stir the gelato. My freezer is very cold it seems. I like the flavor of erythritol-- to me, the menthol-like chill is a good thing. Confectioners' sugar does the same thing to my tongue.
Busy week coming up of Mom, music, church, church music, Mom church, church music with Mom, normal Holy Week mayhem.
Don't panic, and always carry a towel!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi all.

Absolutely exhausted tonight. Moved back home this morning and have spent day cleaning, sorting, assembling a new chair and moving stuff all over the place. Didn’t get rid of decorator until about 1.30pm and he still has to come back tomorrow to finish tiling and sort out a few snags. Place does look much better but still a way to go with sorting everything out.

Consequently an OMAD day. Dinner was beef short rib. Unusually I couldn’t eat it all!

@maglil55 sounds like you’re having a rough time.Take care.
Moving is stressful and tiring, be kind to yourself and dont try to do too much at once.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You deserve a medal for all the work you put in.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'd buy it too!
I only ever made puff just to prove to myself I could do it but I have to admit it was a lot better than the bought stuff. However, not enough to convince me to continue making it. Never considered selling the creations but I do enjoy experimenting when I get the time.
Large scale manufacture would need a visit to Dragons Den and I doubt they'd see the benefit. Having grown up with restaurant work (with that being my late sister and her husband's career) I've always understood the processes and work on the principle most things can be adjusted. Since being diagnosed I've always thought there is a gap in the market for a chain of keto/low carb restaurants but too much like hard work now.

There was, apparently, a small chain of low carb or keto restaurants in the Leeds area (before i needed them). This was a while back and I think their target market was the gym low carbers. I have no idea what happened but they don't seem to exist any more.

D

Deleted member 308541

Same for me - I just don't understand why people pay out loads of money on funerals. Totally unnecessary.
Both my partner and myself have stipulated the cheapest coffins made out of heavyweight cardboard, no religious decorations, flowers etc. urns or religious service for our cremations.

We have even picked out the shady tree where the ashes will get dispersed.

cireland

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast - 2 slices of home white made sourdough, avocado and 2 eggs and streaky bacon.
Lunch - Footlong(!) wholemeal subway with steak, cheese, lettuce and onions.
Snack - Apple, Banana and Grapes
Dinner - Lasagna - normally I'd use butternut squash slices as the "pasta" but today decided to use normal white pasta sheets. and I had a Belgian Chocolate Choux Bun which was only 22g and tasted amazing!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Breakfast - 2 slices of home white made sourdough, avocado and 2 eggs and streaky bacon.
Lunch - Footlong(!) wholemeal subway with steak, cheese, lettuce and onions.
Snack - Apple, Banana and Grapes
Dinner - Lasagna - normally I'd use butternut squash slices as the "pasta" but today decided to use normal white pasta sheets. and I had a Belgian Chocolate Choux Bun which was only 22g and tasted amazing!

Lordy that delicious day would send my BGs into orbit-- you lucky dog to be able to eat like that! Your dessert carbs are worth one of my very good days' entire carbs!