Type 2 Life

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
OMG: That looks fantastic! They do say you eat with your eyes...

We also use this: 'Full green cauli rice' www.fullgreen.com We got it from 'Tesco' and fried it
200g pack Carbs 4g half a pack. It is useful to mix with 'real rice'

We mostly fry it rather than mico-nuke it.

Po

OMG: That looks fantastic! They do say you eat with your eyes...

We also use this: 'Full green cauli rice' www.fullgreen.com We got it from 'Tesco' and fried it
200g pack Carbs 4g half a pack. It is useful to mix with 'real rice'

We mostly fry it rather than mico-nuke it.

Po

Hi ickihun
Thank you for your comment.

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It’s a numbers game

Got out of bed jabbed my finger, no time lost, best not to linger
Up flashed the number 5.4 I’m glad it is not any more

I’m happy with that It must be said.
Jumping in the shower then making the bed

Making my brekkie ‘Weatabix’ and butter
I hate um soggy. Now to clear up the clutter

Coffees made with oodles of cream
Half a spoonful of Xylitol… It tastes a dream

Computer on, post my morning BG levels
Some are not happy, keeping it low is a devil

Next thing I know, I’ve missed my lunch
With my levels at 3.5 I must have a munch

Where has the time gone? The forum is calling
I’m feeling Ok, but my BG is falling

I have had my lunch, A nice tuna bap
Now I think I will have myself a nice little nap

Two hours have passed, what’s my BG now?
Did I have enough to eat, have I had enough chow?

My levels up now 7.1 and I’m doing fine
Now where is my mug? Its coffee time

Next do the hovering, then dust the hall
It’s time to think about dinner, before my levels fall

Up and down constantly they change
Sometimes there up then they crash down again

What we all eat determines our goal
Eating the wrong stuff makes us all a fool

Po

Reactions: ickihun and jjraak

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Today I was trolled hard by type 2 diabetes. Day started well with BG in the 4’s and 5’s (I alternate day fast and am on a low carb diet), and as I was only diagnosed two weeks ago and this is all very new, I lied and said I was sick and couldn’t go to the family Easter lunch so I wouldn’t be tempted by all the carby sugary food.

Stayed home and had a zucchini for lunch, and broccoli, spinach and beef mince for dinner. Net calories for the day after exercise came in a bit under 1000 and net carbs under 20. Didn’t test at lunch but 2 hours after dinner BG had spiked from 4.4 to 7.5!!!!!!!! After having been in the 4’s to 6’s since Friday!!

I haven’t had 7’s since Thursday and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the spikes. I feel I might as well have gone seen my family and eaten potatoes and chocolate and honey glazed ham, as being good hasn’t seemed to make a difference to this troll of a disease.

This was probably a good wake up call that control is a bit of an illusion.

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.

Swings and round abouts - but that said, being that you did have most 4-6 you aren't exactly careening out of control so there's that :)

Reactions: jjraak

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Today I was trolled hard by type 2 diabetes. Day started well with BG in the 4’s and 5’s (I alternate day fast and am on a low carb diet), and as I was only diagnosed two weeks ago and this is all very new, I lied and said I was sick and couldn’t go to the family Easter lunch so I wouldn’t be tempted by all the carby sugary food.

Stayed home and had a zucchini for lunch, and broccoli, spinach and beef mince for dinner. Net calories for the day after exercise came in a bit under 1000 and net carbs under 20. Didn’t test at lunch but 2 hours after dinner BG had spiked from 4.4 to 7.5!!!!!!!! After having been in the 4’s to 6’s since Friday!!

I haven’t had 7’s since Thursday and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the spikes. I feel I might as well have gone seen my family and eaten potatoes and chocolate and honey glazed ham, as being good hasn’t seemed to make a difference to this troll of a disease.

From 4.4 to 7.5 is fairly normal I would say and not an issue really, certainly NOT !!!!!!!!! this much of a spike. perhaps !! this much.

If you had eaten the potatoes chocolate and honey glazed ham (strange combo) You would have a bigger difference and FELT a lot worse. I say "Well done you"! It is ALL about control and making the right choices!

Po

Reactions: 1spuds

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
BG had spiked from 4.4 to 7.5

Although not a massive spike it does seem a little high considering the meal you had. I was wondering if there is anything else that could explain the higher than expected number, things like exercise, any kind of stress even running upstairs to take a shower can cause my liver to help me out with a little shot of glucose.
Did you confirm that 7.5 with a second test? Whenever I get a reading I can't explain I always give my hands a wash and retest because it could be a little something on my hands or even a faulty test strip causing the higher numbers

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@poemagraphic I’ve read here than a post meal spike of 2.0 or more is concerning, so a spike of 3.1 seemed pretty terrible especially as it seemed to come out of nowhere. I tested again immediately on another finger and it was still 7.5. I tried to calm down and stop being so mad at myself and tested again about 35 minutes later and it was down to 6.7. Not good by any means but at least it had started to go down.

@catinahat Yep I immediately washed my hands and retested even on a different finger, it was still 7.5. I can’t think of anything I did wrong to make it go that high, unless the thing about too much protein is true. But I’m overweight and have lots of fat in storage so that should be still being burned first before any protein I eat, even though I’m eating a bit under my calorie limit. It really feels sometimes that as a type 2 there’s no food that’s good for you (I learned today that leafy greens like spinach, chard and kale can give you kidney disease, so don’t rely on those to bulk out your tiny portions of lean protein and healthy fats!) so it’s pretty much a case of deciding what disease you want to die from, LOL.

I know in the scheme of things a 7.5 won’t kill me (maybe) but it just made me feel frustrated at how arbitrary BG seems. There’s so many posts here from people who’ve done eaten and done everything right and got high readings, high enough that their medical treatment has had to be escalated, and others where people ate pasta or chips and got 4’s and 5’s.

Don’t get me wrong I think self monitoring BG seems to be a very important part of helping us type 2’s manage our disease. But if levels can fluctuate so arbitrarily I can kind of see the other side of the argument too, that after a certain point, for patients who meet certain criteria, it’s just a very expensive way of freaking yourself out. But at the same time you can’t keep tabs on the progression of your disease and how what you do every day progresses it if you don’t test. Can’t win!

I know this is stuff that every type 2 has come to grips with. Like I say, I’m only at the end of week two. :)

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

It may just be your liver emptying out of glucose. It can be annoying.
Keep with the fight but try and make it more natural and easy to follow. I know it can be a huge pain but once in good routines, it gets easier.

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
I start on my new dose of metformin this evening at teatime. My blood glucose reading just now was 9.6. I shouldn't have eaten that Pukka steak pie earlier. The plain flour in the pastry is a carb. I ate two Granny Smith apples yesterday and a corned beef hash ready meal. Shocking. Totally deplorable for a diabetic!

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Adm_Mad

Your liver may still have glucose stores to dump in response to your BSL as it's still early days for your system and you wont be fat adapted yet. The fact you are showing 4's and 5's is utterly amazing and the odd 7 doesn't mean much at all.

You did the right thing by avoiding that dinner, had you eaten all those carbs, you system adaptation would have gone right back to square one and each time that happens, it's harder to get it back.

Don't stop, I believe in you.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I start on my new dose of metformin this evening at teatime. My blood glucose reading just now was 9.6. I shouldn't have eaten that Pukka steak pie earlier. The plain flour in the pastry is a carb. I ate two Granny Smith apples yesterday and a corned beef hash ready meal. Shocking. Totally deplorable for a diabetic!
With the new amount of metformin then the occasional pie or potato dish should be ok. Occasionally though.
I've been stocking up with lettuce, bell peppers and unsweetened salad cream which I mix with mayo for salad dressing. With celery and odd cherry tomato. I add spring onion if IBS is under control. I mix and serve. Yummy and lots of crunch.

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
After weeks of hardly any sleep . Yesterday Ron suffered yet another relapse . So today he’s spent trying to recover from it . His bgs have been all over the place. He hardly ate yet today bgs we’re still showing 13 . He’s not been up to going to hospital for his x Ray. Yet we’ve had a letter saying that a gp has made the appointment for him . The gp in question is one Ron hardly sees . Needless to say he won’t be keeping said appointment. GPS just don’t understand that Ron cannot have advanced bookings it must be same day . I really wish they would mind their own and let us deal with things .

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After weeks of hardly any sleep . Yesterday Ron suffered yet another relapse . So today he’s spent trying to recover from it . His bgs have been all over the place. He hardly ate yet today bgs we’re still showing 13 . He’s not been up to going to hospital for his x Ray. Yet we’ve had a letter saying that a gp has made the appointment for him . The gp in question is one Ron hardly sees . Needless to say he won’t be keeping said appointment. GPS just don’t understand that Ron cannot have advanced bookings it must be same day . I really wish they would mind their own and let us deal with things .
Sorry to hear that.

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Ron has now been seen by the occupational therapist , she was not happy with how small our bungalow is and has written to our local authority telling them we must move . Staying here is having a negative impact on Rons health . He needs a hospital bed to use at home which will mean a second bedroom as he now needs hoisting and a commode for when he has relapses cause by M.E. Rons spends the afternoon sleeping as he’s getting very little at night . He finds walking very painful with sharp shooting pains down his legs . We’re not sure if it’s neuropathy or fibromyalgia causing it . Chest infection has come back which has also cause him to have pain in his lungs . He’s not been able to get to the hospital yet for chest x Ray , had to cancel yet another one yesterday. He has the physio calling to see him tomorrow to see how he’s been managing with the exercises he left Ron with 3 weeks ago . How is everyone?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ron has now been seen by the occupational therapist , she was not happy with how small our bungalow is and has written to our local authority telling them we must move . Staying here is having a negative impact on Rons health . He needs a hospital bed to use at home which will mean a second bedroom as he now needs hoisting and a commode for when he has relapses cause by M.E. Rons spends the afternoon sleeping as he’s getting very little at night . He finds walking very painful with sharp shooting pains down his legs . We’re not sure if it’s neuropathy or fibromyalgia causing it . Chest infection has come back which has also cause him to have pain in his lungs . He’s not been able to get to the hospital yet for chest x Ray , had to cancel yet another one yesterday. He has the physio calling to see him tomorrow to see how he’s been managing with the exercises he left Ron with 3 weeks ago . How is everyone?

Gosh, you guys have had some real trials to endure, but at last a few things may be happening to make life a bit more comfortable.

Sometimes these battles are long and drawn out. :(

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Gosh, you guys have had some real trials to endure, but at last a few things may be happening to make life a bit more comfortable.

Sometimes these battles are long and drawn out. :(

You can say that again . Never did we expect all this to happen . Ron has also been told that he may well end up wheelchair bound . We’re hoping that won’t happen but we have to keep it in mind . He’s already putting on weight yet he’s not eating much . I’ve also found out that people with M.E can have trouble regulating their blood sugars so I guess that why Rons is up and down like a yo yo .

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thinking of you both.
"I'm still waiting".... this should be the new nhs motto.
If I had the money I'd go private, even this close as my health is also deteriorating due to waiting.
If I'd had my op 18ths ago I'd be skipping by now. It's just soooo depressing. Demoralising and frustrating.
The DWP must despair at the nhs delays.
All taxpayers money wasted due to delays.
I'm not happy but once Parliament get their head out of the sand with Brexit. The 1st World joke of democracy, then the nhs will be managed properly. Not til then though.
The human suffering caused by indecisive idiots.
My old MP for Rye is in cuckoo land. Her work in DWP will cause MORE suffering, on top of the Windrush incompassionate past decisions.
If DWP is looking to save money then invest in more hard working staff and help the nhs by NOT STRESSING OUT THE PATIENTS.
My recent DWP nurse assessing my ESA was a beautiful caring woman. Her compassion was on her sleeve for all to see.
That is all sufferers want to see; not democracy going wrong.
Neither wonder the nhs are bogged down with increasing patients suffering with mental health.
I see the overworked Police are cracking now.
Our government is an embarrassment.

Stress is costing our country billions!!!

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Thinking of you both.
"I'm still waiting".... this should be the new nhs motto.
If I had the money I'd go private, even this close as my health is also deteriorating due to waiting.
If I'd had my op 18ths ago I'd be skipping by now. It's just soooo depressing. Demoralising and frustrating.
The DWP must despair at the nhs delays.
All taxpayers money wasted due to delays.
I'm not happy but once Parliament get their head out of the sand with Brexit. The 1st World joke of democracy, then the nhs will be managed properly. Not til then though.
The human suffering caused by indecisive idiots.
My old MP for Rye is in cuckoo land. Her work in DWP will cause MORE suffering, on top of the Windrush incompassionate past decisions.
If DWP is looking to save money then invest in more hard working staff and help the nhs by NOT STRESSING OUT THE PATIENTS.
My recent DWP nurse assessing my ESA was a beautiful caring woman. Her compassion was on her sleeve for all to see.
That is all sufferers want to see; not democracy going wrong.
Neither wonder the nhs are bogged down with increasing patients suffering with mental health.
I see the overworked Police are cracking now.
Our government is an embarrassment.

Stress is costing our country billions!!!

Have you heard that some doctors are cutting back their work load to safe guard their pension . So that people are having to wait longer . This country is short on G.Ps because news doctors are going into specialist medicine . Now I gave up work to look after Ron and was told once Ron was awarded p.i.p I had to claim carers allowance. If I didn’t then dwp would call me in for a back to work interview . We get enough money to live on and I feel that the money should be put into adult social care . Adult social care has taken a big drop in funding and people’s health is being affected . This country is going backwards .

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
I'm so sorry to hear about the magnitude of lovely Ron's illnesses and disabilities. I'm still praying for healing by means of the stripes of Christ. I've been very poorly with a nasty UTI and bad dehydration. I've just arrived back from A and E where I received an IV drip, an injection and was told there's microscopic blood particles in my urine and white blood cells. I've got some antibiotic tablets too. I'm moving to my shared lives specialist supported housing at the end of July. Lots of love from @JohnnyBaker87 sufferer of moderate to severe Asperger Syndrome and Adult ADHD xXx.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm so sorry to hear about the magnitude of lovely Ron's illnesses and disabilities. I'm still praying for healing by means of the stripes of Christ. I've been very poorly with a nasty UTI and bad dehydration. I've just arrived back from A and E where I received an IV drip, an injection and was told there's microscopic blood particles in my urine and white blood cells. I've got some antibiotic tablets too. I'm moving to my shared lives specialist supported housing at the end of July. Lots of love from @JohnnyBaker87 sufferer of moderate to severe Asperger Syndrome and Adult ADHD xXx.
At last you have a date @JohnnyBaker87. You must be getting organised. Boxing your personal items up and labelling them?

Ps. Hugs and get well soon :) :) :)

Reactions: heh