Type 2 Life

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
He’s now had another assessment for physio . It’s like busses nothing for ages then two at once .

Reactions: heh

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
Sooo exciting. Well you have done it @JohnnyBaker87. Well done. :) :) :)
The time will fly by.
Get some boxes from your local supermarket. Start boxing off your non-essentials?
i have got a nokia smartphone now. @ickihun, my lovely friend
i had my hba1c done at my gp on monday and saw the healthvare
assistant today who said i had a hba1c of 73! I have now got to take two 500mg metformin in the morning and two 500mg metformin tablets at teatime. My asperger syndrome is driving me berserk but i do love sheldon from the big bang theory who has aspergers like me. I watch it virtually nonstop now! Lots of love to all my friends.

Reactions: tina_marie

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
I have Asperger Syndrome which is an autism spectrum condition and a full diagnosis of Adult ADHD which are characterised by impairments in social communication, social interaction and social imagination. I also have a rigid and somewhat unpredictable routine. I also experience obsessive rituals, some a bit overwhelming. But I have a talent in articulate creative writing skills and possess a photographic rote memory. I have sensory sensitivity and get upset by loud noises, bright colours or lights, and notice the texture and consistency of certain foods more making my dietary choices extremely limited or restricted to certain food components. I dislike conflict and lies. The Adult ADHD also makes me very moody and cross.
Reactions: tina_marie and heh

Adm_Mad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Something I'm very curious about is do you think your quality of life improved, remained about the same, or got worse, after your diagnosis and treatment commenced?

I'm still in super research mode and my appointment with my GP to set up a plan isn't until after Easter. So I have no idea how long I've actually had type 2 diabetes for before being diagnosed on Monday. On the one hand I'm cautiously optimistic, but on the other hand it seems like type 2 is just a lot of exercising and eating properly, monitoring your blood sugar, taking your meds if you need them... but you don't have total control over how the disease progresses so could end up insulin dependent, developing all the worst complications, and dying prematurely anyway, LOL!

So, factoring in the mental/emotional impact of diagnosis and adjusting to life which I know makes things hard for a while, is there a point where you felt your life got any better than it was when you didn't know you were sick (or did know but buried your head in the sand, etc?) Like, did you start to feel "healthier" or feel like your mood lifted? Or is it a case of life kind of just goes on being the same except you have to manage your condition? Or - and it's totally okay if this is your answer! - did your life actually get worse with the stress and the physical impact, especially as it progresses?

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Dear friends, I wish I hadn't done it, but I ate too much BBQ chicken pizza and the carbohydrates and fat gave me a blood glucose reading of 19.9 earlier. I haven't commenced the new dosage of metformin yet.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear friends, I wish I hadn't done it, but I ate too much BBQ chicken pizza and the carbohydrates and fat gave me a blood glucose reading of 19.9 earlier. I haven't commenced the new dosage of metformin yet.
Get on the new dosage of metfornin Johnny.
Alan (husband) recently had to increase his metformin from 2 to 3 tablets a day and it's helped greatly.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Something I'm very curious about is do you think your quality of life improved, remained about the same, or got worse, after your diagnosis and treatment commenced?

I'm still in super research mode and my appointment with my GP to set up a plan isn't until after Easter. So I have no idea how long I've actually had type 2 diabetes for before being diagnosed on Monday. On the one hand I'm cautiously optimistic, but on the other hand it seems like type 2 is just a lot of exercising and eating properly, monitoring your blood sugar, taking your meds if you need them... but you don't have total control over how the disease progresses so could end up insulin dependent, developing all the worst complications, and dying prematurely anyway, LOL!

So, factoring in the mental/emotional impact of diagnosis and adjusting to life which I know makes things hard for a while, is there a point where you felt your life got any better than it was when you didn't know you were sick (or did know but buried your head in the sand, etc?) Like, did you start to feel "healthier" or feel like your mood lifted? Or is it a case of life kind of just goes on being the same except you have to manage your condition? Or - and it's totally okay if this is your answer! - did your life actually get worse with the stress and the physical impact, especially as it progresses?
Like you mentoned.... We are all different.
You may aggressively fight it and get some huge progress.
It isn't a lost cause. Ever.

Reactions: Adm_Mad

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Everyone is different @Adm_Mad.
We can post back our own experiences and I can generalise about all I know to date but your life story may differ hugely.

On the whole I take medical advice seriously and diet for type2s can make a difference to how your body treats carbs, protein or fat. Especially if injected insulin is added to the mix.
My consultant believes we can get my body reacting much much better once I've lost alot of my obesity problem. A big job for me and so big a project ife learned to pace it after I realised the nhs cannot do most of the work. It is a project which may take me half a decade, if I'm lucky.
One thing about me is long projects don't put me off the rewards predicted. As long as there are some. My weight loss (project) from a bariatric operation is guaranteed but how much is still guess work but anything is an improvement to what I currently experience. I'm in huge pain from trapped nerves. My nerves seem to be taking the brunt of the weight loss I'm slowly enjoying at mo.
With diabetes it can affect so many parts of the body, eventually. Even in remission some struggle with none diabetic health problems. Not all conditions can be remedied by diet. Especially if those other conditions need or struggle with too much veg etc.
Myself I need a low carb, low calorie, low salt and low fat diet. So lean meats/fish with some veg. But it still needs more insulin injected rather than just a low carb diet. Compromise compromise is stamped all over my forehead. Sometimes even I want a holiday from it all.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
let's be honest....no amount of metformin is going to counteract that.......if it's a treat fair enough and apologies but if it creeps in as a regular thing you will struggle

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner

mine is actually better

for the most part less alcohol means spending time with my partner more and less time down the pub or solitary drinking and behaving like a donut

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
Ron will finally be getting some physio . Roll on Thursday. Been a long time coming .

Reactions: ickihun and heh

JohnnyBaker87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Dear friends, i have been eating granny smith apples, mandarins and a couple of bananas today as my healthcare assistant at my gp advised me to. Got to get it in moderation more because of all that devil called fructose. I had some weetabix and cornflakes, too, which is a real nono for diabetes. I really want to modify my diet. I have no self control. Ive got a piece of celeriac in my fridge. Im trying to use that instead of potatoes.

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
Dear friends, i have been eating granny smith apples, mandarins and a couple of bananas today as my healthcare assistant at my gp advised me to. Got to get it in moderation more because of all that devil called fructose. I had some weetabix and cornflakes, too, which is a real nono for diabetes. I really want to modify my diet. I have no self control. Ive got a piece of celeriac in my fridge. Im trying to use that instead of potatoes.
Celeriac is great as a Mash and tastes really rich. It won't ever be potatoes but it's really not a bad "potato methadone" I also find that because it's so dense, it really doesn't take a lot to make you feel full up. I hope the very best for you :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
but on the other hand it seems like type 2 is just a lot of exercising and eating properly, monitoring your blood sugar, taking your meds if you need them...

but you don't have total control over how the disease progresses so could end up insulin dependent, developing all the worst complications, and dying prematurely anyway, LOL!

So, factoring in the mental/emotional impact of diagnosis and adjusting to life which I know makes things hard for a while,

is there a point where you felt your life got any better than it was when you didn't know you were sick
(or did know but buried your head in the sand, etc?) Like,

did you start to feel "healthier" or feel like your mood lifted?
Or is it a case of life kind of just goes on being the same except you have to manage your condition?
Or - and it's totally okay if this is your answer! - did your life actually get worse with the stress and the physical impact, especially as it progresses?

On dx..yes..worse..worried etc.
During what i now know was going cold turkey on the carbs n sugars
awful..muddy headed, tired listless, etc.

once i got over that and got a grip on the food side.
I'd say MUCH better..feel fitter and better in myself then i have for years.
recent holiday proved that to me.
i wake up, have the finger test /weight myself routine,
then a few nuts to start the day, take meds
by which time i'm ready to face the world in a much more positive light.
so i enjoyed every moment more,( if that makes sense) because a part of me
figured i COULD be too old /infirm/incapacitated to enjoy each moment to the fullness i could..
so it was sort of humbling..for which im grateful.

Tl;dr.
Yep life got better after DX.
Not recommended getting T2D for it, but it has had a positive impact, physically and mentally for me.

Reactions: Adm_Mad

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
Hi guys

THIS looks like the place to post...
Still finding my way around this huge fantastic site.

Po

Reactions: heh and jjraak

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Celeriac is great as a Mash and tastes really rich. It won't ever be potatoes but it's really not a bad "potato methadone" I also find that because it's so dense, it really doesn't take a lot to make you feel full up. I hope the very best for you :)

I Love caulli mash, I almost always use it as one would potato mash. I mash it with shed loads of butter and CREAM! oh and some black pepper.

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Religious & Political Fanaticism, that sneeze that just won't happen, creepy ventriloquist dolls and oompaloompas.
I Love caulli mash, I almost always use it as one would potato mash. I mash it with shed loads of butter and CREAM! oh and some black pepper.

Making me feel hungry already! Have to admit I’m not a cauliflower rice fan. Why not just call it mashed up cauliflower right? ‍♀️

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Making me feel hungry already! Have to admit I’m not a cauliflower rice fan. Why not just call it mashed up cauliflower right? ‍♀️

It is great to top ‘Shepard’s pie’
It is easy to make, however… I keep some ‘Tesco’ 4 steam bags of cauliflower rice.
Its takes about 5 mins to cook. 1 bag is 125g which comes out at 3.1 carbs.

Po

Reactions: jjraak

KookieMunchster

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reactions: heh and ickihun

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

OMG: That looks fantastic! They do say you eat with your eyes...

We also use this: 'Full green cauli rice' www.fullgreen.com We got it from 'Tesco' and fried it
200g pack Carbs 4g half a pack. It is useful to mix with 'real rice'

We mostly fry it rather than mico-nuke it.

Po

Reactions: Hwad