1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 Life

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by emptyplate, Aug 4, 2015.

1. tina_marie

tina_marie Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

He’s now had another assessment for physio . It’s like busses nothing for ages then two at once .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. JohnnyBaker87

JohnnyBaker87 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

i have got a nokia smartphone now. @ickihun, my lovely friend
    i had my hba1c done at my gp on monday and saw the healthvare
    assistant today who said i had a hba1c of 73! I have now got to take two 500mg metformin in the morning and two 500mg metformin tablets at teatime. My asperger syndrome is driving me berserk but i do love sheldon from the big bang theory who has aspergers like me. I watch it virtually nonstop now! Lots of love to all my friends.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JohnnyBaker87

I'm back on the forum with my new reconditioned smartphone

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Adm_Mad

Adm_Mad Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Something I'm very curious about is do you think your quality of life improved, remained about the same, or got worse, after your diagnosis and treatment commenced?

I'm still in super research mode and my appointment with my GP to set up a plan isn't until after Easter. So I have no idea how long I've actually had type 2 diabetes for before being diagnosed on Monday. On the one hand I'm cautiously optimistic, but on the other hand it seems like type 2 is just a lot of exercising and eating properly, monitoring your blood sugar, taking your meds if you need them... but you don't have total control over how the disease progresses so could end up insulin dependent, developing all the worst complications, and dying prematurely anyway, LOL!

So, factoring in the mental/emotional impact of diagnosis and adjusting to life which I know makes things hard for a while, is there a point where you felt your life got any better than it was when you didn't know you were sick (or did know but buried your head in the sand, etc?) Like, did you start to feel "healthier" or feel like your mood lifted? Or is it a case of life kind of just goes on being the same except you have to manage your condition? Or - and it's totally okay if this is your answer! - did your life actually get worse with the stress and the physical impact, especially as it progresses?

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  5. JohnnyBaker87

Dear friends, I wish I hadn't done it, but I ate too much BBQ chicken pizza and the carbohydrates and fat gave me a blood glucose reading of 19.9 earlier. I haven't commenced the new dosage of metformin yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  6. heh

heh Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Get on the new dosage of metfornin Johnny.
    Alan (husband) recently had to increase his metformin from 2 to 3 tablets a day and it's helped greatly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Like you mentoned.... We are all different.
    You may aggressively fight it and get some huge progress.
    It isn't a lost cause. Ever.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Everyone is different @Adm_Mad.
    We can post back our own experiences and I can generalise about all I know to date but your life story may differ hugely.

On the whole I take medical advice seriously and diet for type2s can make a difference to how your body treats carbs, protein or fat. Especially if injected insulin is added to the mix.
    My consultant believes we can get my body reacting much much better once I've lost alot of my obesity problem. A big job for me and so big a project ife learned to pace it after I realised the nhs cannot do most of the work. It is a project which may take me half a decade, if I'm lucky.
    One thing about me is long projects don't put me off the rewards predicted. As long as there are some. My weight loss (project) from a bariatric operation is guaranteed but how much is still guess work but anything is an improvement to what I currently experience. I'm in huge pain from trapped nerves. My nerves seem to be taking the brunt of the weight loss I'm slowly enjoying at mo.
    With diabetes it can affect so many parts of the body, eventually. Even in remission some struggle with none diabetic health problems. Not all conditions can be remedied by diet. Especially if those other conditions need or struggle with too much veg etc.
    Myself I need a low carb, low calorie, low salt and low fat diet. So lean meats/fish with some veg. But it still needs more insulin injected rather than just a low carb diet. Compromise compromise is stamped all over my forehead. Sometimes even I want a holiday from it all.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Traceymac23

Traceymac23 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

let's be honest....no amount of metformin is going to counteract that.......if it's a treat fair enough and apologies but if it creeps in as a regular thing you will struggle

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Traceymac23

Traceymac23 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

mine is actually better

for the most part less alcohol means spending time with my partner more and less time down the pub or solitary drinking and behaving like a donut

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  11. tina_marie

tina_marie Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Ron will finally be getting some physio . Roll on Thursday. Been a long time coming .

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. JohnnyBaker87

Dear friends, i have been eating granny smith apples, mandarins and a couple of bananas today as my healthcare assistant at my gp advised me to. Got to get it in moderation more because of all that devil called fructose. I had some weetabix and cornflakes, too, which is a real nono for diabetes. I really want to modify my diet. I have no self control. Ive got a piece of celeriac in my fridge. Im trying to use that instead of potatoes.

13. KookieMunchster

KookieMunchster Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Celeriac is great as a Mash and tastes really rich. It won't ever be potatoes but it's really not a bad "potato methadone" I also find that because it's so dense, it really doesn't take a lot to make you feel full up. I hope the very best for you :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. jjraak

jjraak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

On dx..yes..worse..worried etc.
    During what i now know was going cold turkey on the carbs n sugars
    awful..muddy headed, tired listless, etc.

once i got over that and got a grip on the food side.
    I'd say MUCH better..feel fitter and better in myself then i have for years.
    recent holiday proved that to me.
    i wake up, have the finger test /weight myself routine,
    then a few nuts to start the day, take meds
    by which time i'm ready to face the world in a much more positive light.
    so i enjoyed every moment more,( if that makes sense) because a part of me
    figured i COULD be too old /infirm/incapacitated to enjoy each moment to the fullness i could..
    so it was sort of humbling..for which im grateful.

Tl;dr.
    Yep life got better after DX.
    Not recommended getting T2D for it, but it has had a positive impact, physically and mentally for me.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. poemagraphic

poemagraphic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi guys

THIS looks like the place to post...
    Still finding my way around this huge fantastic site.

Po

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. poemagraphic

I Love caulli mash, I almost always use it as one would potato mash. I mash it with shed loads of butter and CREAM! oh and some black pepper.

• Like Like x 4
  17. KookieMunchster

Making me feel hungry already! Have to admit I’m not a cauliflower rice fan. Why not just call it mashed up cauliflower right? ‍♀️

18. poemagraphic

It is great to top ‘Shepard’s pie’
    It is easy to make, however… I keep some ‘Tesco’ 4 steam bags of cauliflower rice.
    Its takes about 5 mins to cook. 1 bag is 125g which comes out at 3.1 carbs.

Po

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. KookieMunchster

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. poemagraphic

OMG: That looks fantastic! They do say you eat with your eyes...

We also use this: 'Full green cauli rice' www.fullgreen.com We got it from 'Tesco' and fried it
    200g pack Carbs 4g half a pack. It is useful to mix with 'real rice'

We mostly fry it rather than mico-nuke it.

Po

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook