What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@shelley262 what a load of family stuff you've got going on. I'm thinking of you! My mom went low fat low cal when she learned she was pre-D some years ago, and lost weight enough to worry her dr. At 88 she moved into assisted living, and ate the typical carby bulked out diet. It's only gotten worse since she moved to her new place. Everything is white and mushy. To be fair, many of the residents need mushy... but Mom, who'd gained a size in two years at assisted living, has gained another in 7 months here! So far I was able to head off blood work at the one ER visit she's had (for back muscle spasms, and they wanted routine blood work!) so she got to go home. I expect her BG is in orbit, but treatment would only make her miserable.
@PenguinMum you could bake a LC sweet bread with cinnamon and vanilla? I put a little pot of oranges and cinnamon to simmer right before I'd leave the house.
@charlie000 good for you, and what a bit of grace on both your parts! Is it Ramadan? What a (high carb) feast at the end!

charlie000

@shelley262 what a load of family stuff you've got going on. I'm thinking of you! My mom went low fat low cal when she learned she was pre-D some years ago, and lost weight enough to worry her dr. At 88 she moved into assisted living, and ate the typical carby bulked out diet. It's only gotten worse since she moved to her new place. Everything is white and mushy. To be fair, many of the residents need mushy... but Mom, who'd gained a size in two years at assisted living, has gained another in 7 months here! So far I was able to head off blood work at the one ER visit she's had (for back muscle spasms, and they wanted routine blood work!) so she got to go home. I expect her BG is in orbit, but treatment would only make her miserable.
@PenguinMum you could bake a LC sweet bread with cinnamon and vanilla? I put a little pot of oranges and cinnamon to simmer right before I'd leave the house.
@charlie000 good for you, and what a bit of grace on both your parts! Is it Ramadan? What a (high carb) feast at the end!

Yes it is Ramadan for Muslims. I admire how they fast and I’m up for the challenge with my friend

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From Monday I'll be joining my Muslim friend and fasting for a whole month. I'll post up my meals daily, it's going to be a challenge, but if he can do it then so can I, and it'll help reduce my weight! I'll be posting my daily meal which will be around 20:30 in the evening!

Nice idea. I had a lot of Muslim colleagues at work and was amazed and awed at their fasting, I’m sure your friend will appreciate the fellowship. When I asked one lady if she usually lost weight though, she laughed and said ‘no! The opposite’ I think their evening feasts were quite extensive and carby. She also said that getting up early to make and eat breakfast before sunrise was an extra meal she didn’t normally eat.
I look forward to reading your progress. Presume you won’t be denying yourself fluids? My colleagues didn’t even allow themselves water in the day and invariably ended up with UTIs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice idea. I had a lot of Muslim colleagues at work and was amazed and awed at their fasting, I’m sure your friend will appreciate the fellowship. When I asked one lady if she usually lost weight though, she laughed and said ‘no! The opposite’ I think their evening feasts were quite extensive and carby. She also said that getting up early to make and eat breakfast before sunrise was an extra meal she didn’t normally eat.
I look forward to reading your progress. Presume you won’t be denying yourself fluids? My colleagues didn’t even allow themselves water in the day and invariably ended up with UTIs
The fluids one was interesting me. Ramadan and Eid could be difficult for some students in a school I taught at in Peterborough but they were very keen to talk about why they doing it and expressed amazement that the allegedly Christian culture did nothing similar. Good luck @charlie000

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fluids one was interesting me. Ramadan and Eid could be difficult for some students in a school I taught at in Peterborough but they were very keen to talk about why they doing it and expressed amazement that the allegedly Christian culture did nothing similar. Good luck @charlie000
In the Christian calender Lent was meant to be a period of fasting and doing without (not chocolate or wine!). In my grandparents time they observed Lent by eating very frugally often doing without meat, so that would be surviving on bread and vegetables. Fruit was considered a luxury also.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the Christian calender Lent was meant to be a period of fasting and doing without (not chocolate or wine!). In my grandparents time they observed Lent by eating very frugally often doing without meat, so that would be surviving on bread and vegetables. Fruit was considered a luxury also.
Not derailing this thread but Ember days/weeks perform a similar function 4 times a year Weds, Fri, Sat.

Last edited:

charlie000

I will be doing it as he is doing it, no fluids. They have a morning meal around 3am but I will have my meal in the evening before. Essentially OMAD

charlie000

I’ll be doing Low Carb.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
How is everyone? All enjoying a chilled out Sunday morning I hope. :)

Today I'm taking a leaf out of @Goonergal 's book and experimenting with minimal slow cooking.

Breakfast: Egg, bacon, high meat content chipolata, mushrooms and a couple of tablespoons of baked beans
Lunch: Probably not but if any is needed it will be a small snack of pecan and Brazil nuts
Dinner: Waitrose short ribs currently cooking in the slow cooker with a little garlic, thyme and just a tiny drop of red wine (the smell is driving the dogs wild)
Dessert: Strawberries and cream
Drinks: BDC, SSW, RW

charlie000

Today I'm doing my first ONE MEAL A DAY fast. I last had the steak and veg posted above at around 20:30 yesterday, and had loads of water. My OMAD is no fluids or food for as long as I can.

I'll be eating around 7.30pm today. I'm looking forward to some baked chicken, and some left over steak.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I'm doing my first ONE MEAL A DAY fast. I last had the steak and veg posted above at around 20:30 yesterday, and had loads of water. My OMAD is no fluids or food for as long as I can.

I'll be eating around 7.30pm today. I'm looking forward to some baked chicken, and some left over steak.
Good lick with it all @charlie000. No fluids for over 20 hrs would not be a route I would advise but others understand this all much better than myself and may have more postiive and better informed views.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been experimenting what and when to eat it, and that appears to make a difference to my blood glucose readings.

*Today I was 8.6 at 6 am (stressful day yesterday)
*At 6.30 am I had some chocolate and 3 cups black coffee.
*At 9 am I had 3 eggs and cheese done in the microwave with a little butter.
*Coffee & cream with a little chocolate.
*At 11 am I am 7.1
*At 1 pm I had some fruit cocktail in juice with ground flaxseeds, chia seeds, goji berries, and some fresh blueberries and double cream. And coffee and cream with piece chocolate.
*At 3pm I am 7.5
*3:30 pm I used up some oatcakes I had in the tin (I will make the low carb ones suggested on this forum in microwave when I have used the rest of oatcakes up) with butter and left over chicken on them.(I had planned on cooked veg with the chicken, but I couldn't stomach the thought of cooked vegetables today).
*5.30 pm a reading of 7.7

I won't eat again until I have chocolate in the morning.

I cannot have fruit cocktail as the last meal because my blood glucose readings go high at that time and stay high for a few hours, but not when I eat fruit around middayish.
If I have protein in the last meal of the day like today, then my blood glucose reading will probably still continue be 7.7 ish around 11pm.
I cannot eat chocolate late afternoon, because my reading will go up another two points and stay there the next few hours or more.

This is my first time posting on this thread.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I tested my salted eggs. The recipe suggested trying the first one after c21 days, but I sort of kept forgetting so it's been more like 4 weeks. Oooops.

Very good, but at 4 weeks very salty, so anyone doing these, I'd suggest you heed the earlier point to start testing them. That said, they are genius for those of us who sometimes like a harboiled egg in a packed lunch, but don't care to carry salt with us.

The balance are now out of the brine and in the fridge awaiting their fate. I will save the brine for another batch, or a different experiment.

https://delishably.com/dairy/Salted-Eggs-Recipe

Now, the aromas emanating from our kitchen are torturing me. Allegedly, I have to put up with it for another half hour, before the slooooooooooow roasted belly pork, with sky-scraper crackling is at full magnificence.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the thread @gennepher

Hope you get some good ideas from the guys on here.

For me Meaty May continued with another OMAD day (a proper one today). Dinner was slow cooked beef short rib. Then whipped some cream to eat as dessert and get fat up a bit.

Exhausted as finally finished flat - spent all morning sorting and reorganising the two large cupboards that everything got stuffed into while the work was done. Early to bed and then a nice relaxing bank holiday Monday to come.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the thread @gennepher

Hope you get some good ideas from the guys on here.

For me Meaty May continued with another OMAD day (a proper one today). Dinner was slow cooked beef short rib. Then whipped some cream to eat as dessert and get fat up a bit.

Exhausted as finally finished flat - spent all morning sorting and reorganising the two large cupboards that everything got stuffed into while the work was done. Early to bed and then a nice relaxing bank holiday Monday to come.

Thank you :)
I look forward to reading the posts on here.

Hard work you did today!
Enjoy tomorrow!
>^..^<

Reactions: zauberflote