Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I have some purple DM's. Love them to bits but not right for this time of year in this neck of the woods - South Devon, where we are sheltered from all the nasties (weather-wise, at least!)

Reactions: Knikki

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys quick question about the Libre. Going on my first holiday abroad to a hot country, Turkey in 10 days time. How is the Libre in hot countries and with going in and out of water a lot. At moment I have no issue with it sticking to my body just wondering a combination of heat, sweat and water may affect it.

Anyone have any experience of this. Thanks

Reactions: porl69

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Yes, all the causes of the various forms of dementia are fascinating, and I think the latest research into Alzheimers suggests it’s a failure in one of the proteins, oligomers, that form clumps on the neural pathways in the brain. It’s a bit like having too many dust bunnies in a mobile phone - it won’t work properly

My mum had dementia for many years. By the end she couldn't even chew, and we had to liquidise her meals (each part of the meal liquidised seperately so that she had flavours and not just a homogenous goo). She couldn't talk, couldn't walk.

I have a Living Will lodged with the hospital telling them to put a DNR order on me if I have lost my marbles and get physically ill, but if I am compos they are to treat my ailments. Don't wanna end up like my lovely mum.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
My mum had dementia for many years. By the end she couldn't even chew, and we had to liquidise her meals (each part of the meal liquidised seperately so that she had flavours and not just a homogenous goo). She couldn't talk, couldn't walk.

I have a Living Will lodged with the hospital telling them to put a DNR order on me if I have lost my marbles and get physically ill, but if I am compos they are to treat my ailments. Don't wanna end up like my lovely mum.

No, I wouldn’t want that either having watched my aunt’s and mother’s experiences with dementia. It’s not a good state to be in!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Fairygodmother However, sufficient unto the day and all that.....

A day chilling, plus soak in bubbly bath bombed bath, has me feeling like a new woman. Feels like I've just begun the day - I should have had the barf to start the day!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, all the causes of the various forms of dementia are fascinating, and I think the latest research into Alzheimers suggests it’s a failure in one of the proteins, oligomers, that form clumps on the neural pathways in the brain. It’s a bit like having too many dust bunnies in a mobile phone - it won’t work properly

My T2 father had vascular dementia I saw him in the morning & his suger levels had dropped (in the mid 2s) later that morning when a nurse called me at work. He'd had breakfast 90 mins earlier. I told her to give him a little mo carb. (He was off any D meds by this time, having some pretty good A1cs.)
I popped in after work & witnessed his demise. His heart was strong, BG looked good but his breathing seemed strangely out of synch..?

My dad was the same with the chewing.

There is a part of the brain which is like the "ECU" on a car.? It plays havock with basic function in the end.
My dad also had "DNR" on his notes.

The thing that gets me, is not one HCP stuck their neck out & said "in my experience. That's it."
I had to visit "Doctor Google" on my smartphone to prepare to say good bye...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My T2 father had vascular dementia I saw him in the morning & his suger levels had dropped (in the mid 2s) later that morning when a nurse called me at work. He'd had breakfast 90 mins earlier. I told her to give him a little mo carb.
I popped in after work & witnessed his demise. His heart was strong, BG looked good but his breathing seemed strangely out of synch..?

My dad was the same with the chewing.

There is a part of the brain which is like the "ECU" on a car.? It plays havock with basic function in the end.
My dad also had "DNR" on his notes.

The thing that gets me, is not one HCP stuck their neck out & said "in my experience. That's it."
I had to visit "Doctor Google" on my smartphone to prepare to say good by...

It’s really tough isn’t it! At first my mother became a scatterbrained child, progressing to someone who had to be guarded in case she sped off into the distance with no idea where she was or the danger of traffic. She then became alternately sweet and violent, but the end days were endless as her functions shut down. My aunt was in denial, strongly in denial, even though she knew she couldn’t cope, and at the time when her agreement was required for anything that’d help her she rejected all that was suggested or set up. It took a crisis to get her care and she fought it until she no longer realised where she was or what was happening.
I really wouldn’t want my daughters or himindoors, to suffer for years because I, too, was like them.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

The way I look at it is that I have to go from something. I might prefer that it not be dementia but that does have the beauty of my not knowing about it, whereas I can think of some particularly gruesome other ways to go! Given my druthers, I'll take not knowing over being aware and suffering.....

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I really wouldn’t want my daughters or himindoors, to suffer for years because I, too, was like them.

I have had "the discussion" with sprog and spouse and they both know that if I get to the state where I don't know them, then for goodness sake pop me in a home and be done with it.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Off to Mull in 4 weeks...

Aah, that brings back fond memories of having a few pints in the MishNish watching the yachts bobbing in the bay...

And that chipper van at the start of the pier which does scallops and chips!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s really tough isn’t it! At first my mother became a scatterbrained child, progressing to someone who had to be guarded in case she sped off into the distance with no idea where she was or the danger of traffic. She then became alternately sweet and violent, but the end days were endless as her functions shut down. My aunt was in denial, strongly in denial, even though she knew she couldn’t cope, and at the time when her agreement was required for anything that’d help her she rejected all that was suggested or set up. It took a crisis to get her care and she fought it until she no longer realised where she was or what was happening.

It's tough, & partly there is an unwariness of the relatives too?

It's hard to notice the little clues. Though I should have realised one Sunday morning I went round to see my folks & my dad was in the driveway revving the proverbials off his car.. He was seriously "red lining" it..
"What's up dad?" "The clutch on my car.."
"Let me have a look."
The drive was an incline to the main road. I got behind the wheel, checked the biting point of the clutch & took the car for a spin.. Car drove lovely after my dad's "Italian tune up." My dad was never that mechanically minded.

A couple of weeks later, I had a call from my mum, something was up.
They'd gone out on a shopping trip & on return dad stalled the car at a junction, then couldn't recognise where he was... (My mum didn't drive.) Another motorist kindly drove them home & mum called for a ambulance...

Thinking about it now, his basic coordination was starting to fail him. Revving the bolts off that car.
If he hadn't stalled that motor at that moment, who knows what could have happened...

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
because I have emptied another one of @Scott-C bank accounts he can provide plenty of fish based foods

I've set up another account in the Cayman Islands with a bank normally used by money-launderers, and have decided to move away from passwords using "h" and use "f" instead, but you're going to guess it anyway, so might as well tell you it's:

"fee fi fo fum fiddly fido fee fee"

The next step in my banking security measures will be to store gold bullion in a bank in Mogadishu, Somalia - turns out Somalian pirates are fed up kidnapping people yachting and are really up for the John West mackerel in Thai curry sauce which you'll recall I bought in bulk a few posts ago, a few crates of that in their direction will have them protecting my cash with AK 47s.

Hey, none of this is off-topic: I've learned a lot about dealing with adrenalin response, hollow highs and the stabilising effect of mackerel...

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki . Canapés and Vol au vents ??????????
Ok ok if we’re having a carb party I’ll bring custard, bread and butter pudding, apple crumble, chocolate brownies and treacle sponge, oh and a Vienetta.:):).
If we’re watching carbs I’ll gladly leave the canapés and vol au vents in the fridge.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have some purple DM's. Love them to bits but not right for this time of year in this neck of the woods - South Devon, where we are sheltered from all the nasties (weather-wise, at least!)
@WuTwo ....is Sidmouth in your neck of the woods....will be there in a couple of weeks....hoping the weather is good...:)

Reactions: Knikki

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's tough, & partly there is an unwariness of the relatives too?

It's hard to notice the little clues. Though I should have realised one Sunday morning I went round to see my folks & my dad was in the driveway revving the proverbials off his car.. He was seriously "red lining" it..
"What's up dad?" "The clutch on my car.."
"Let me have a look."
The drive was an incline to the main road. I got behind the wheel, checked the biting point of the clutch & took the car for a spin.. Car drove lovely after my dad's "Italian tune up." My dad was never that mechanically minded.

A couple of weeks later, I had a call from my mum, something was up.
They'd gone out on a shopping trip & on return dad stalled the car at a junction, then couldn't recognise where he was... (My mum didn't drive.) Another motorist kindly drove them home & mum called for a ambulance...

Thinking about it now, his basic coordination was starting to fail him. Revving the bolts off that car.
If he hadn't stalled that motor at that moment, who knows what could have happened...

Frightening, but we’re so hesitant to take control - we go on seeing the person as they were. With hindsight I should have overruled my aunt but then I’d probably have fallen foul of the law, and she’d have seen me as the devil incarnate. Luckily, a Power of Attorney was in place. We’ve just done them ourselves.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've set up another account in the Cayman Islands with a bank normally used by money-launderers, and have decided to move away from passwords using "h" and use "f" instead, but you're going to guess it anyway, so might as well tell you it's:

"fee fi fo fum fiddly fido fee fee"

The next step in my banking security measures will be to store gold bullion in a bank in Mogadishu, Somalia - turns out Somalian pirates are fed up kidnapping people yachting and are really up for the John West mackerel in Thai curry sauce which you'll recall I bought in bulk a few posts ago, a few crates of that in their direction will have them protecting my cash with AK 47s.

Hey, none of this is off-topic: I've learned a lot about dealing with adrenalin response, hollow highs and the stabilising effect of mackerel...

In today’s market greens are the next gold: sauerkraut, kale, spinach, kimchi anything - I’m setting up a rival to bitcoin: greencoin. All investments greeted with a shredder.

Reactions: WuTwo

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys quick question about the Libre. Going on my first holiday abroad to a hot country, Turkey in 10 days time. How is the Libre in hot countries and with going in and out of water a lot. At moment I have no issue with it sticking to my body just wondering a combination of heat, sweat and water may affect it.

Anyone have any experience of this. Thanks

SMC - I have worn the Libre in the Tropics, whilst swimming, whilst diving, albeing fairly shallow as my ears were playing up.

Personally, I was more concerned where I would position it, to be hidden by my bikini, than other things.

Reactions: smc4761

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well make sure your fridge has a nice window in the we can certainly "watch the carb" while working out a sacrifice because many many many posts back we were all going to meet up at Stonehenge.
A sacrifice at Stonehenge!!!!!!!!! Who are we sacrificing? Don’t answer that;););).
Will you and @Mel dCP be high priest and priestess respectively in matching purple Docs.:):)

Reactions: Fairygodmother