Oh help... jus starting out ...

PamJHS

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m a newbie to both this forum and diabetes and I’m not sure I’m in the right place.. I was just diagnosed as type 2 in feb 19 and was given medication, Gliclazide, told to take it twice a day but wasn’t given any dietary advice , I was given a meter so I could continue to drive, but told only to test before I drove. Totally overwhelmed I came home and hit the internet for as much info as I could find, but there is so much and it’s all different, I decided after much reading to try the LCHF and it brought my BGLs down from 23.5 to roughly 5.5 - 7.9 over course of 3 weeks and I also managed to lose weight, I was really pleased, felt I was managing it well then found out that I shouldn’t be doing this due to type of medication I’m on.. now I don’t know what to do, haven’t had any hypos but BGL has been very low at points.. neither am I sure if it’s too early to go back to GP and ask them to reduce meds as I’m not due to see them again until April.. any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or how I can adjust my diet again to get best of both worlds ie lose weight and keep BGL low.. sorry if this isn’t the right place to be asking this but getting frustrated and confused.

I’m a newbie to diabetes T2 and the forums as well, but just from a common sense point of view, it seems unwise to start messing about with your dosage without medical advice. I’m in my first week of LCHF, I hope I get results like yours from it!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Generally speaking, insulin resistant diabetics shouldn’t need to eat in order to prevent hypoglycaemia. If this is happening then medications need reducing (with professional medical support). If this doesn’t work then the patient needs to be referred to an endocrinologist.

I'd go one step further Jim and say NO diabetic should have to. x

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or even anyone. I was just being mindful that sometimes there are unforeseen nuances :)

Hi Jim, I know, the post just reminded me of when I was first diagnosed and going low constantly, of one Nurse saying 'you're not eating enough' even though I was eating my normal food. She got overruled by the Dr who said exactly what you have, you match the medication to the food.

Eric Rayner

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My wife was diagnosed with T2 and is taking Metformin. We have both started a low-carb diet (less than 50g per day) and have been on it for two weeks. I have been fine, although my wife has suffered with wind and loose stools. Not a pleasant subject, I know, but has anyone else suffered these symptoms when starting a keto diet? If so, how long did they last?

DawnOfTheZed

Sorry about your wife's discomfort. I've loved psyllium husk in my keto porridge. Or she could try inulin soluble fibre? Some kind of fibre should be available in your local health food store to add to her food? Good luck.

Reactions: 1spuds

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The symptoms are probably the effects of Metformin - which can be a really nasty medication - I threw the tablets in the bin and just stuck to eating low carb which was perfectly effective in controlling my blood glucose.

Reactions: Shas3

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife was diagnosed with T2 and is taking Metformin. We have both started a low-carb diet (less than 50g per day) and have been on it for two weeks. I have been fine, although my wife has suffered with wind and loose stools. Not a pleasant subject, I know, but has anyone else suffered these symptoms when starting a keto diet? If so, how long did they last?
Have to agree with @Resurgam. It's not the change in foods, it's most likely the metformin. Does your wife test? If so, she can check what the new way of eating is doing for her bloodglucose. Testing before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If the rise is 2.0 mmol/l or less, she's doing really well. Maybe she could discuss going off metformin with the doc. (Metformin doesn't do anything about what you eat, it just tells your liver to dump less glucose. So it calms down the peak everyone gets in the morning.). Or, alternatively, she could request the slow release version of metformin, as that seems to be kinder on the gut. I assume she does take it with a meal? Because having it without food also affects the bowels. For me, things got so bad I was bleeding after a few weeks of metformin, that's why I ended up looking for alternatives, and found the low carb way of eating... I was switched to gliclazide (there was no slow release metformin in the Netherlands back then, that was introduced about two years ago), but I could stop all medication, including statins, after 3 months. I've had non-diabetic levels ever since.
Good luck!
Jo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks. I may not be a newbie as such - have bumbled my way through almost 4 years - but increasingly feel very slightly bewildered by some of the helpful advice. I am asking what I think is a simple question for which I can't easily find an answer. In a keto approach should I aim for a set level of carbs (dirty?) or use a carb level based on 5-10% of my daily calorific needs? TIA
To "guarantee" ketosis aim for 20g per day or fewer.
Once you are there then you could (if desired) experiment with including more carbs to find your own personal level. Or you could simply maintain there and enjoy the benefits..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @bulkbiker. For once a nice simple answer. Can I push my luck further and if possible clarify another puzzle for myself. I use the chronometer app to analyse my intake. I can get to sub 20 gms setting it to net carbs but to get to total carbs of 20 gms or less more frequently than 1 or 2 days a fortnight is never going to happen on anything other than around sub 1000 cals and I am already as low as I want to be weight wise. Thanks

You are UK based right? All our carbs counts are net..
If you want to eat more calories without eating more carbs then up your zero carb food intake.
Meat, fish,cheese etc?

Crsjst

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m a newbie to both this forum and diabetes and I’m not sure I’m in the right place.. I was just diagnosed as type 2 in feb 19 and was given medication, Gliclazide, told to take it twice a day but wasn’t given any dietary advice , I was given a meter so I could continue to drive, but told only to test before I drove. Totally overwhelmed I came home and hit the internet for as much info as I could find, but there is so much and it’s all different, I decided after much reading to try the LCHF and it brought my BGLs down from 23.5 to roughly 5.5 - 7.9 over course of 3 weeks and I also managed to lose weight, I was really pleased, felt I was managing it well then found out that I shouldn’t be doing this due to type of medication I’m on.. now I don’t know what to do, haven’t had any hypos but BGL has been very low at points.. neither am I sure if it’s too early to go back to GP and ask them to reduce meds as I’m not due to see them again until April.. any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or how I can adjust my diet again to get best of both worlds ie lose weight and keep BGL low.. sorry if this isn’t the right place to be asking this but getting frustrated and confused.