1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Oh help... jus starting out ...

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by Croxdale, Mar 21, 2019.

1. PamJHS

PamJHS Prediabetes · Active Member

I’m a newbie to diabetes T2 and the forums as well, but just from a common sense point of view, it seems unwise to start messing about with your dosage without medical advice. I’m in my first week of LCHF, I hope I get results like yours from it!

2. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'd go one step further Jim and say NO diabetic should have to. x

3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Or even anyone. I was just being mindful that sometimes there are unforeseen nuances :)

4. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Jim, I know, the post just reminded me of when I was first diagnosed and going low constantly, of one Nurse saying 'you're not eating enough' even though I was eating my normal food. She got overruled by the Dr who said exactly what you have, you match the medication to the food.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Eric Rayner

Eric Rayner Family member · Newbie

My wife was diagnosed with T2 and is taking Metformin. We have both started a low-carb diet (less than 50g per day) and have been on it for two weeks. I have been fine, although my wife has suffered with wind and loose stools. Not a pleasant subject, I know, but has anyone else suffered these symptoms when starting a keto diet? If so, how long did they last?

6. DawnOfTheZed

DawnOfTheZed · Well-Known Member

Sorry about your wife's discomfort. I've loved psyllium husk in my keto porridge. Or she could try inulin soluble fibre? Some kind of fibre should be available in your local health food store to add to her food? Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

The symptoms are probably the effects of Metformin - which can be a really nasty medication - I threw the tablets in the bin and just stuck to eating low carb which was perfectly effective in controlling my blood glucose.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Have to agree with @Resurgam. It's not the change in foods, it's most likely the metformin. Does your wife test? If so, she can check what the new way of eating is doing for her bloodglucose. Testing before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. If the rise is 2.0 mmol/l or less, she's doing really well. Maybe she could discuss going off metformin with the doc. (Metformin doesn't do anything about what you eat, it just tells your liver to dump less glucose. So it calms down the peak everyone gets in the morning.). Or, alternatively, she could request the slow release version of metformin, as that seems to be kinder on the gut. I assume she does take it with a meal? Because having it without food also affects the bowels. For me, things got so bad I was bleeding after a few weeks of metformin, that's why I ended up looking for alternatives, and found the low carb way of eating... I was switched to gliclazide (there was no slow release metformin in the Netherlands back then, that was introduced about two years ago), but I could stop all medication, including statins, after 3 months. I've had non-diabetic levels ever since.
    Good luck!
    Jo

• Like Like x 2
  9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

To "guarantee" ketosis aim for 20g per day or fewer.
    Once you are there then you could (if desired) experiment with including more carbs to find your own personal level. Or you could simply maintain there and enjoy the benefits..

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Jim Lahey

The list of which is long and distinguished, and not all related to diabetes by any stretch.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jim Lahey

Sure thing. I wasn’t challenging or prescribing anything. Just building a bit on the post from @bulkbiker :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. bulkbiker

You are UK based right? All our carbs counts are net..
    If you want to eat more calories without eating more carbs then up your zero carb food intake.
    Meat, fish,cheese etc?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. bulkbiker

Intrigued.. by what you mean?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Crsjst

Crsjst Type 2 · Newbie

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook