What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Way behind - haven’t even tried to read back through earlier posts. Train journey tomorrow so will try then.

Two meals today. Breakfast of M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and left over chocolate olive oil cake - had taken some to work on Wednesday for colleagues and found a piece remaining in the office.

Dinner menu inspired by @dunelm and @LittleGreyCat - carnivore pizza with chorizo, pepperoni and Polish sausage followed by some little chocolates made from Lindt 90%, cream and butter. Scaled the recipe right down - made 6 tiny chocs. Good decision as they’re seriously moreish.

View attachment 33458 View attachment 33459

:)

Impressive square shape!
After a very long time of thinking about making them I have a batch in the fridge at the moment.
The silicone ice cube trays from Lakeland are seriously good for shaping them but it looks as though I may not get round to popping them all out to go in a box.
Nom, nom, nom......
Very low carbohydrate and high fat, though.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

Impressive square shape!
After a very long time of thinking about making them I have a batch in the fridge at the moment.
The silicone ice cube trays from Lakeland are seriously good for shaping them but it looks as though I may not get round to popping them all out to go in a box.
Nom, nom, nom......
Very low carbohydrate and high fat, though.

I used these moulds from Lakeland. Used 50g choc/50ml double cream and 9g butter.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/71921/2-Traditional-Chocolate-Moulds

Reactions: gennepher

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
220A7444-23C0-4470-A368-ECC3FEF099EA.jpeg
760DC8EA-4961-4392-A7D3-D5BBFB8B2409.jpeg

Well, was officially a success. Nothing like the pizza we used to make from scratch pre LC days, of course, but it worked well as a parcel for delicious cheesy goodness. Very filling though.....I ate a bit too much.

@DJC3 It was Gnom-Gnom's crazy Keto dough....https://www.gnom-gnom.com/gluten-free-keto-calzone/

Edit to add that this is the dough I use to make tortillas for fajitas or tacos. It works really well.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems to be a night for pics so thought I’d add my dinner, nothing very complicated but nice and colourful all the same!
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Babybels with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold fruity jerk chicken, coleslaw, leafy salad, two mini plum tomatoes and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

535EFF18-554F-4967-A6BC-F4FF68259014.jpeg

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, today's menu looked like this:

B: Strawberry chia pudding with almonds. Black coffee.
L: Tuna melt muffin, salad leaves, cold grilled harissa aubergine.
D: LC calzone pizza stuffed with red pesto, mozzarella, salami, mushrooms and basil. Decaf coffee.

The dough for the calzone is used for lots of other recipes on the Gnom-Gnom website, so I imagine I will be doing some experiments with it. Really easy to make in the food processor too.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does look good, but I notice that 1/6th is 5.5 g carbs. Would it really serve 6?
The whole lot of dough is 15g of net carbs, so that works out at 2.5g net carbs per 1/6 serving, but without fillings. It is 5.5g gross carbs per serving. It just depends on how you portion it up and what fillings you use. It was filling, but I reckon 4 servings is more realistic than 6. We polished off the whole thing :oops:. In hindsight, I would probably make two next time and freeze one to cook later.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
J*DI. Ignore the curtain-twitchers, you're good to go.:angelic: (Re the carby stuff our bodies no longer process well, Pretending the foods we liked, and would still like, aren't tasty and more enjoyable than some of the LC concoctions will get ya nowhere fast. Eating them will probs cause short term joy and long term misery) That recipe looked fine using some of @maglil55's, patent pending, coating. Like you, I find meat doesn't float my boat - no good lying about it. I like the cut of your jib ma'am but I'm as mad as a box of frogs.
I assume you're referring to my very variable coating? (Which I used tonight). For veal or chicken escalope I'd use a mix of Almond flour, golden milled flaxseed, parmesan, salt and pepper and parsley.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gee I am way, way behind.
Monday - bed 6.1 FBG 6.3 still not 100% but decided the humidity at the Aqua fit would be beneficial and I made it through the class without oxygen!
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing
D. Yesterday more of yesterday's brisket cacciatore with cauliflower mash.
Raspberries and cream.
Tuesday bed 6 4 FBG 6.3 - very wet weather and the damp isn't helping recovery.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing
D. Chimichurri kebabs that turned out to be pork not beef which I overcooked and they were dry and horrible. Had some lettuce, tomato, cucumber and helmans with it. Raspberries and cream.
Wednesday bed 7.5 FBG 7.7 no idea why other than this bug is still lurking.
B. TAG with ADOC. Couple of scrambled eggs.
L. 1/2 a M&S meat'zza pizza
D. The other 1/2 of the meat'zza with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, 1/4 avocado and one baby beet.
Catch up on the rest in a mo.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gee I am way, way behind.
Monday - bed 6.1 FBG 6.3 still not 100% but decided the humidity at the Aqua fit would be beneficial and I made it through the class without oxygen!
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing
D. Yesterday more of yesterday's brisket cacciatore with cauliflower mash.
Raspberries and cream.
Tuesday bed 6 4 FBG 6.3 - very wet weather and the damp isn't helping recovery.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. Nothing
D. Chimichurri kebabs that turned out to be pork not beef which I overcooked and they were dry and horrible. Had some lettuce, tomato, cucumber and helmans with it. Raspberries and cream.
Wednesday bed 7.5 FBG 7.7 no idea why other than this bug is still lurking.
B. TAG with ADOC. Couple of scrambled eggs.
L. 1/2 a M&S meat'zza pizza
D. The other 1/2 of the meat'zza with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, 1/4 avocado and one baby beet.
Catch up on the rest in a mo.
Menus sound up to your usual high standard so the hug is for this lingering bug.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The whole lot of dough is 15g of net carbs, so that works out at 2.5g net carbs per 1/6 serving, but without fillings. It is 5.5g gross carbs per serving. It just depends on how you portion it up and what fillings you use. It was filling, but I reckon 4 servings is more realistic than 6. We polished off the whole thing :oops:. In hindsight, I would probably make two next time and freeze one to cook later.

Yes I find portion control is best if ready done!
15g for the whole batch of dough isn’t too bad really

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thursday bed 7.3 FBG 7.5 - decided to go to Aqua zumba and DID feel in need of oxygen afterwards.
B. TAG with ADOC. Was really hungry so had 2 97% sausages, fried egg and 2 rashers of crispy streaky bacon.
L. Nothing.
D. A M&S steak hache. Made of chopped up rib eye. Portobello mushroom, cheese slice, little lettuce, tomato, cucumber and helmans. 1 baby beet.
2 bits green & blacks mint chocolate.
Today - Friday bed 7.4 FBG was also 7.4. It's been a weird old week. Some points I felt fine, others awful. Boys have been good this week. No 1 has been occupied 3 afternoons teaching P3 pupils. He did one P3 class each day. He was teaching them how to embed images into Google docs! He said he got into it because his teacher told the others he was good at it. Teaching or IT I asked. Both he announced. He was particularly pleased that he got to link the laptop to the whiteboard to present. Not bad for an 8 year old. @Brunneria - his nose is still in the Olga books at every opportunity.
@DJC3 - the food in the Highlands does tend to be very good. I always jumped at the chance of lobster. Stornaway Black Pudding - there's a few of them made different ways. There's another Speyside Black Pudding which is also good.
Happy holidays to all those just away.
B. TAG with ADOC. Slice Tesco high protein bread with lurpack.
L. Nothing - usual early Friday pick up from school. Morning was lovely but it started raining again at 4pm and hasn't stopped.
D. Cod loin in my other crumb version base + sesame seeds, veggie chips and curry tartare sauce. 4 strawberries and cream.
Our old Jack & Jill seat collapsed so we got another which Hubby is putting together - boys have the box it was in. Amazing the amount of fun in a cardboard box.

Viv19

@Viv19 that looks fabulous! Is the aubergine just simply fried or baked?
@BibaBee is your calzone made with LoDough or Fat head pizza base or something else entirely?
@Brunneria ‘awwww’ for the puppy outing! We are putting our name down with an accredited breeder ( Border terrier) next week.
Today we said goodbye to Mull and the wonderful hotel we stayed in. We met a couple last night who live in the next village to us in Cornwall - about 5 miles away. How strange we travelled 650 miles to meet!
B: Smoked haddock and 2 perfectly poached eggs. CWC
L: quite hungry lunchtime for the first time - had more than a few Brazil nuts and a small bit of 100% choc
D: Lovely fish restaurant in Oban crab pot to start then Pan fried ( annoying expression) halibut without the accompanying risotto, but with the creamy sauce from one of the other dishes and the veg from a different one ( smoked aubergine, spinach and kale) all lovely. Small amount of cheese and a bottle of a Hungarian white I’d never heard of but which was a revelation. ( we shared the bottle)
Home tomorrow

You sound as though you’ve been on a gourmet journey! What a lovely holiday.
Aubergine was marinated then fried.
A border terrier is exactly what’s on my wish list. Intelligent and energetic too.
It’s a small world DJC3 - we’ve had some weird coincidences like that too.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Sounds like you have a lot on your plate at the moment @zauberflote , thank heaven for a squishy cat on your lap to help you feel at peace with the world.
I had to re-read your sentence “at the local harp store” as if that’s a normal thing like a local butcher’s you must be living in a musician’s paradise! I’m sure your mom will love the outing and it’ll do her the world of good.
I’ve seen something along the lines of your wafer/ cream cake - if you manage a lc version I’d be very interested in seeing the recipe ( I am following you on CMT so will look out for it)

Ps Mr C’s phone was in his jacket pocket - hung over the back of his chair. I did try texting him at one point but just heard the ping in his pocket. He reckons he was in there nearly an hour but I don’t think he can have been - surely I’d have missed him before then? He got in an even bigger huff later when it transpired I’d texted our daughters and told them about it and they all started sending him lavatory based jokes

Well, we are very fortunate with the harp store. I don't live in a small town, and we are indeed a thriving, "voted in top 10" (in the whole US!) cultural center. (Also food, places to raise kids, and urban white water kayaking. We are one of I think 4 or 5 cities in US with Class 6 rapids in the middle of downtown!)
I've mixed and rolled and refrigerated the wafer cookie dough. It seems like it will work out well. Bake them tomorrow. The rest is simply whipping the cream, deciding whether or not to sweeten it, and building the cake. This will lend itself to "make one serving at a time" ease. If only I had an immersion blender...
Well! At least the phone had no opportunity to go for a swim! I hope he's laughing too by now....

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@BibaBee I definitely CMT's the dough recipe. Wonder if it would work for quiche? Although I actually prefer my quiche (and my pie) with no crust. I used to eat out the filling and give the crust to my Daddy. In return, he used to give me the frosting off his cake. ) and thank you @DJC3 for pointing out the carbs. Sigh. And thank you Bibabee for correcting us lol!
@maglil55 sorry you are doing porely... feel better soon! No 1 rules!! The world will be run by 5-yr-old coders before we know it. And what is P 3? Primary 3? In other words, his peers? Just you wait, they'll have him teaching middle school (P6-8??) in no time. And I'll bet cardboard boxes are more fun than the contents the world over...
Today:
NE1 after a short walk usualish 1/2 avocado, handful pecans, 3 tbsp dunnie, DWSAC. Made chocolate wafer cookie dough, rolled into logs and stored in frig. I sampled plenty; always been an incorrigible bowl licker.
Protein NE2 the power had gone out-- it's poured all day and a tree must have come down on the line somewhere nearby. So I grabbed the cheddar out the icebox fast and had me some protein.
NE3 celery, salad (?) of zucchini spirals, cherry toms, pine nuts, and flax, with hm dressing. I liked it, it was more than functional, and it was very easy (plus I'm in the honeymoon phase of still thinking spiralizing by hand is fun). In honor of photo day:
IMG_8575.jpg

Somehow that looks like it has some unappetizing ingredients there!!!