What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A wonderful food day again. The Scottish Highlands and Islands are definitely a good place for low carbers. We are staying at the mo in a very small ( 6room) hotel in Tobermory run by a husband and wife team. She has won awards and AA rosettes for her cooking and the food has been lovely. She has taken so much trouble to adapt her menus to my requirements without batting an eyelid.
NE1 Smoked haddock and poached eggs perfectly cooked. CWC ( without batting an eye)
NE2 small pack almonds and around 20g of 100% choc after a long wet walk - feeling cold and hungry.
NE3 so many lovely things: pre dinner gin and soda with appetisers of smoked salmon roulade and haloumi ( Mr C given a lovely looking filo pastry parcel containing haggis and mushrooms)
Pre dinner roast red pepper veloute with cream ( wouldn’t usually have this but it was served in a tiny cup and was completely delicious )
Starter: she made a special off menu trio of salmon starter with caviar for me.
Main course : one of the best steaks I’ve ever had with creamed leeks, buttered broccoli and green beans. ( Mr C’s beans came in a carrot ring which she omitted for me). He had a wonderful tasting sherry and mushrooms sauce with his steak but when I tried it, it did taste quite sweet.
Lovely cheeseboard for me. Wonderful looking ( and sounding g) cremebrulee for him
Will be very sorry to leave tomorrow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 boiled eggs with Marmite soldiers, made from half a slice of Soya and Linseed bread followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cheddar and mushroom omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@zauberflote Exciting news about the Celtic lap harp! Oh, and I am often trapped by squishy feline friends!
@ianpspurs Kaltbach cheese? A new one on me. I love alpine cheeses, so think I'll have to seek it out.
@Tipetoo Well done on the HBA1C! Fantastic result!
@DJC3 I do love a bit of toilet humour! :joyful:

I'm feeling a bit peeved, as we decided to barbecue and it was beautiful sunshine earlier today. We were forecast a shower around 4ish, but bright and dry for the rest of the evening. Just as we had the barbecue fired up, the heavens decided to open! And I had washing on the line too! Anyway, today's (slightly soggy menu) looked like this:

B: Coffee chia pudding with cocoa and cacao nibs. Black coffee.
L: Tuna melt muffins with avocado, tomato, spring onion and cucumber salad with a lime coriander and EVO dressing.
D: Barbecued aubergine, courgette and flat mushrooms marinated in olive oil and harissa. Barbecued bratwurst sausage. HM coleslaw, salad leaves and some leftover salad from lunchtime. SF Jelly and cream. Decaf coffee with cream.

Worked from home today, so a couple of almond milk cappuccinos (and a square of 85% choc with one) were enjoyed too.

Last edited:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A wonderful food day again. The Scottish Highlands and Islands are definitely a good place for low carbers. We are staying at the mo in a very small ( 6room) hotel in Tobermory run by a husband and wife team. She has won awards and AA rosettes for her cooking and the food has been lovely. She has taken so much trouble to adapt her menus to my requirements without batting an eyelid.
NE1 Smoked haddock and poached eggs perfectly cooked. CWC ( without batting an eye)
NE2 small pack almonds and around 20g of 100% choc after a long wet walk - feeling cold and hungry.
NE3 so many lovely things: pre dinner gin and soda with appetisers of smoked salmon roulade and haloumi ( Mr C given a lovely looking filo pastry parcel containing haggis and mushrooms)
Pre dinner roast red pepper veloute with cream ( wouldn’t usually have this but it was served in a tiny cup and was completely delicious )
Starter: she made a special off menu trio of salmon starter with caviar for me.
Main course : one of the best steaks I’ve ever had with creamed leeks, buttered broccoli and green beans. ( Mr C’s beans came in a carrot ring which she omitted for me). He had a wonderful tasting sherry and mushrooms sauce with his steak but when I tried it, it did taste quite sweet.
Lovely cheeseboard for me. Wonderful looking ( and sounding g) cremebrulee for him
Will be very sorry to leave tomorrow.
Sounds like a lovely hotel and delicious food! No wonder you'll be sorry to leave.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Chicken snitty and veggies at the bowls club.
Dinner: Black peppered steak, veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, couple of low carb beers, water.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All :D

First outing for new pup this evening (to a friends garden).
Went fabulously. She was tired out.
Been the most peaceful evening since she arrived. :)

NE1: 3 slices vintage cheddar
NE2: chicken curry (with added cream)
NE3: lamb burglar

Viv19

The cheese website recommends using it to fill a thin large veal schnitzel. Dry schnitzel, season w salt and pepper. Spread with Dijon mustard (1tbspn for 4), sprinkle with some rosemary, lay on 1 slice of cheese, fold over and fix with toothpicks. Fry in oil 5-8 mins each side. Then they say add 200 ml stock and 5 tbspns medium sherry and reduce 5 mins. Sherry too sweet but I might try the schnitzel anyway. Not veal though. Creamy sauce?? Mmmmm yum.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The cheese website recommends using it to fill a thin large veal schnitzel. Dry schnitzel, season w salt and pepper. Spread with Dijon mustard (1tbspn for 4), sprinkle with some rosemary, lay on 1 slice of cheese, fold over and fix with toothpicks. Fry in oil 5-8 mins each side. Then they say add 200 ml stock and 5 tbspns medium sherry and reduce 5 mins. Sherry too sweet but I might try the schnitzel anyway. Not veal though. Creamy sauce?? Mmmmm yum.
Post and recipe going along nicely until yum - it's all only food which is either functional or not:angelic:

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yum isn’t angelic ianpspurs. Food can be functional and v boring, or functional and delicious. This one sounds like the latter. ;))
Nope. Fairly binary - functional or not nothing additional required - at least for me but I totally accept that your mileage may vary. Are you going to make the schnitzy witzy?

Last edited:

Viv19

Nope. Fairly binary - functional or not nothing additional required - at least for me but I totally accept that your mileage may vary. Are you going to make the schnitzy witzy?

I like good food, but not huge portions of meat, so find the restrictions of this dietary way of life pretty boring. Some great food is now off the menu, sadly. I love pasta, risotto, curry, home made pizza. And baking That’s probably how I reached this stage.
Any suggestions how I should make it a schnitzy witzy?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like good food, but not huge portions of meat, so find the restrictions of this dietary way of life pretty boring. Some great food is now off the menu, sadly. I love pasta, risotto, curry, home made pizza. And baking That’s probably how I reached this stage.
Any suggestions how I should make it a schnitzy witzy?
J*DI. Ignore the curtain-twitchers, you're good to go.:angelic: (Re the carby stuff our bodies no longer process well, Pretending the foods we liked, and would still like, aren't tasty and more enjoyable than some of the LC concoctions will get ya nowhere fast. Eating them will probs cause short term joy and long term misery) That recipe looked fine using some of @maglil55's, patent pending, coating. Like you, I find meat doesn't float my boat - no good lying about it. I like the cut of your jib ma'am but I'm as mad as a box of frogs.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Way behind - haven’t even tried to read back through earlier posts. Train journey tomorrow so will try then.

Two meals today. Breakfast of M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and left over chocolate olive oil cake - had taken some to work on Wednesday for colleagues and found a piece remaining in the office.

Dinner menu inspired by @dunelm and @LittleGreyCat - carnivore pizza with chorizo, pepperoni and Polish sausage followed by some little chocolates made from Lindt 90%, cream and butter. Scaled the recipe right down - made 6 tiny chocs. Good decision as they’re seriously moreish.

15FC7E5A-92B1-4D1B-9668-DB4AE218E809.jpeg
FCCBAA61-518B-47E9-8D85-21DA9D668B40.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
National fish-n-chip day or the day nutrition forgot for me. Not even tea for B until W..ose latte around 12.00 + a few cubes of red fox. NE1 was flaxseed crackers (2 x 2x) as a tongue sandwich with President buppy (because I'm worth it) Then taste went awol. Cut 2 slices of cold pork - realised I no longer enjoy the texture or virtually non taste of the meat much anymore so gave it to the dog (the cold fat holds all the taste.) Finally had some tea around 2.30 which must be some kind of record. NE2 @ 6.45 - delayed as watching reach for the sky. Hammered the re-roast crackling just for fun. Meal was salmon and haloumi chips - fish-n-chip day - with baby leaf, pea shoot and edible flower salad (official opening of summer.) Weighed, blood pressured and regular pulsed today - all good. 4 years on those stats are good (medics were ultra positive)- diet is more of a mystery than ever but today was functional and frankly if that carries on >40% of the time all is good in da hood. Back in the day I may have had a glass of wine to celebrate my numbers but I'm starting to see alcohol in a very negative light. Not at all in the place I imagined I would be 4 years ago - bit disorientated.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Viv19 that looks fabulous! Is the aubergine just simply fried or baked?
@BibaBee is your calzone made with LoDough or Fat head pizza base or something else entirely?
@Brunneria ‘awwww’ for the puppy outing! We are putting our name down with an accredited breeder ( Border terrier) next week.
Today we said goodbye to Mull and the wonderful hotel we stayed in. We met a couple last night who live in the next village to us in Cornwall - about 5 miles away. How strange we travelled 650 miles to meet!
B: Smoked haddock and 2 perfectly poached eggs. CWC
L: quite hungry lunchtime for the first time - had more than a few Brazil nuts and a small bit of 100% choc
D: Lovely fish restaurant in Oban crab pot to start then Pan fried ( annoying expression) halibut without the accompanying risotto, but with the creamy sauce from one of the other dishes and the veg from a different one ( smoked aubergine, spinach and kale) all lovely. Small amount of cheese and a bottle of a Hungarian white I’d never heard of but which was a revelation. ( we shared the bottle)
Home tomorrow