What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All from cloudy Cornwall. 5.3 this morning which makes me happy.
Squid and mussels last evening and a few skinny chips. 1 large G&ST and large wine. Hope the rain holds off for a beach walk later.
Have a good Monday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Sorry I couldn’t arrange better holiday weather down here PM but glad you seem to be enjoying yourself anyway. Great fbg today!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A1C came back 5.7 (top end of target zone.) Obviously grateful it is below recognised non-diabetic and far happier with the rest of the markers. "Good bg" and me are perhaps not meant to be but the conventional markers are far better so I presume some of us will always run higher. Bit of a stick or twist poser for me - will chasing lower bg cause problems elsewhere or is lower bg always best? I realise I am in a relatively fortunate position but the question may be pertinent to others.

In chasing lower bg riding on low carbs and high fats I found that I ran the lower bg to earth but did not find a lower LDL down in the same den. As they say, diabetes management is a marathon, but high cholesterol can be a sprint, from what I hear, and right now I'm going after lower LDL on a 'chaser, over the hurdles of sometimes higher, sometimes lower, FBG.

Being an almost-obligate carnivore, like a cat, did not work for me.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I couldn’t arrange better holiday weather down here PM but glad you seem to be enjoying yourself anyway. Great fbg today!
Dont worry I love Cornwall so a bit of rain wont change that! We are now in Porthleven and have discovered there is a Rick Stein restaurant here so have booked for later. Tomorrows forecasts serious rain all day so we are going to read our books and get out for walks in between downpours. How did your stove fitting go?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My quote for today
FB_IMG_1550357913608.jpg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Results from last Friday trickling in. Lipids seem reasonable if slightly uninspiring.
X6OFFyjtnO0xCI_Z4Xji3yak66qEmkW1ivllWNp47dTA0ssiJA8ilCdgXLDdFaMCELp8nAJTYgtYRQIkjvQFoJ6IlBWC6xsSaG9fgfocQvaC1ToUsIel4fMBAzirZN5I9Gzm5u2_

No idea if this is over sharing or helpful to anyone. From what I can gather those are ok so lipid watch over for another 6 months - but I have no doubt there are sources "out there" which will classify these as dreadful. Have a good, dry day.

Enviable numbers, @ianpspurs

can't see how anyone would say otherwise.

As for chasing the dragon down the hole.....mmhh

Does seem to me , from many others whose posts i have read, that T2D,
is very much like that game of rolling the ball around a maze, trying to avoid the holes.

Nice and easy when you don't have T2D, but add that to the mix and you throw in
a few extra balls and increase the number of holes.

( holes are poor lipids scores/ratios, and other data,
and the balls are multiple, namely, stress, anxiety, diet, meds, sleep,
( too much / too little ) exercise, and any other items that MAY impact us,
as we try to navigate our way to better BG around all the holes, ad infinitum.:rolleyes: )

all of it, with the danger of complications of some sorts, if followed badly...:bigtears:

So i can't say that others shouldn't look for perfect numbers,
but i dare say, it can be of an ever decreasing benefit,
when balanced with what i might suggest is an awful lot of effort
(and possibly some degree of misery if not enjoying the experience )

I don't have your wealth of experience at this,
you are doing marvellous at this, as your numbers testify.

so can only say to answer the question, what suits me.

My inner self, tells me, to just play it safe, and try to get into the safety zone.
so i watch the carbs, follow the numbers, and lower as we all must,
and try to enjoy the T2D way, until (so far so good..and just pray) I never HAVE to submerge myself in to full on keto, etc.

No issues with those following it..Remarkable results, and glad it suits and helps them, but not for me at the moment

But it is nice to have a fall back plan, if god forbid, things do start to go awry.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Enviable numbers, @ianpspurs

can't see how anyone would say otherwise.

As for chasing the dragon down the hole.....mmhh

Does seem to me , from many others whose posts i have read, that T2D,
is very much like that game of rolling the ball around a maze, trying to avoid the holes.

Nice and easy when you don't have T2D, but add that to the mix and you throw in
a few extra balls and increase the number of holes.

( holes are poor lipids scores/ratios, and other data,
and the balls are multiple, namely, stress, anxiety, diet, meds, sleep,
( too much / too little ) exercise, and any other items that MAY impact us,
as we try to navigate our way to better BG around all the holes, ad infinitum.:rolleyes: )

all of it, with the danger of complications of some sorts, if followed badly...:bigtears:

So i can't say that others shouldn't look for perfect numbers,
but i dare say, it can be of an ever decreasing benefit,
when balanced with what i might suggest is an awful lot of effort
(and possibly some degree of misery if not enjoying the experience )

I don't have your wealth of experience at this,
you are doing marvellous at this, as your numbers testify.

so can only say to answer the question, what suits me.

My inner self, tells me, to just play it safe, and try to get into the safety zone.
so i watch the carbs, follow the numbers, and lower as we all must,
and try to enjoy the T2D way, until (so far so good..and just pray) I never HAVE to submerge myself in to full on keto, etc.

No issues with those following it..Remarkable results, and glad it suits and helps them, but not for me at the moment

But it is nice to have a fall back plan, if god forbid, things do start to go awry.
Thanks @jjraak. Think where I am at is a bit like an end of season review of my batting back in the day. Average good (>50) = must be doing basics right. Obviously made mistakes and have technical weaknesses but if I stick to my strengths won't be invincible but it is all repeatable - essentially Steve Smith, Joe Root. The Jos Buttler's (keto?) of this world are just different. (Kohli is a whole other category) Working out which you are needs honesty. You are doing fine.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dont worry I love Cornwall so a bit of rain wont change that! We are now in Porthleven and have discovered there is a Rick Stein restaurant here so have booked for later. Tomorrows forecasts serious rain all day so we are going to read our books and get out for walks in between downpours. How did your stove fitting go?

I love a rainy day when I’ve got a good excuse to curl up with a good book.
Stove fitting all done. I’m amazed they managed it all in a single day - they were up on the roof and dismantling the chimney as well as knocking a big hole in my wall downstairs but they were very neat and tidy and it looks fab now. I didn’t have milk so they drank coffee with cream all day and seemed delighted. They said when they went that I’d probably caused them to pile on a few pounds and seemed surprised when I retaliated and said the 2 teasps of sugar they had in each would do that - not the cream! ( surprised I had the sugar actually)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg at 5 am this soggy dull raindroppy day with tears streaking and streaming down my bedroom window, is 9.7, same as yesterday I think.

It is amazing it is that low (for me) because, I have been feeling so tired (after all recent events and catastrophes since beginning of this year and the eye laser treatment and stuff and then the bug that just knocked me for six recently), and yesterday I was so tired I had to go to bed very early but couldn’t sleep, that I was trying to think of something that would help.

I think it is mental tiredness as well as physical tiredness.

Last year I bought some cans of Guinness. A friend suggested it when I said I was tired last year after a few days of appointments and travelling for them. And next time I went in the supermarket the cans of Guinness stared me in the face so got some...But I never tried one. Never have drunk Guinness in my life.

Last night relaxing herbal teas did not help and for some reason made my mouth drier, a piece of chocolate did not help. Then I remembered Annie-May (my grandmother). She was downtrodden by my imperious authoritative grandfather. She didn’t have anything good in life. But one thing she did have was her daily Guinness. In my mind I was watching her drink that Guinness. Her face lit up. Sunshine poured out of her face. It was almost like she transcended. I am only a child but I can see what that Guinness meant to her in her daily life of drudgery.

So last night I went and opened a can of Guinness, almost poured it too quickly before I realised to pour slowly into the glass.

I drank it over the next hour. I could feel myself relaxing and fell asleep. I only woke up once and then again at 5 am and took my fbg reading of 9.7

I thought it would have been much higher, because surely the Guinness nearly doubled my carbs for the day. I feel relaxed now still. I hope this continues through the day.

Yesterday (and every day recently) I woke up tired. I don’t feel tired this morning.

Is this all in the mind, psychological, that is ‘seeing’ Annie-May’s radiant face as she is drinking her Guinness, or does Guinness have good stuff in it?

Have a good day.
The curtains will stay shut here on such a dreich depressing dull day. I will have my indoor fairy lights on as well today...
Take care x
>^..^<

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...yesterday had a good walk with 'Plumpy' in the rain looks like we'll be doing the same again today...still tipping down here... poor Churchill just had to go out he hadn't been out all day yesterday so had his little legs crossed...he just flew back in complaining bitterly...a challenging couple of days Sunday & Monday working on a statement for a disciplinary hearing involving a family member thankfully it's finally done & I'm satisfied with it...woke to a 6.5

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 which is amazing considering what I had to eat yesterday. I have to brave the storms and drive Miss Daisy eastbound, not looking forward to motorway driving today. If you have the chance to stay at home in front of the fire I suggest you do so :)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have the chance to stay at home in front of the fire I suggest you do so :)
No logs for the fire at the moment Harrison...had the heating on yesterday...it's freezing here...may have a quick trip to our local supplier...I like the sound of staying home with the log fire going...take it easy on that motorway.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My blood sugars had been great all day starting of this morning with a fasting BG of 4.7 and up to this evening not going above 5.7 was quite happy till ten minutes ago when I tested and they have now gone up to 9.1 not happy about that hope fbg is not too high tomorrow morning.

Fbg in fact was 4.9 the next morning I was amazed this morning it's 5.3 after being 5.7 last night.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A damp 5.4 here.
I am now the proud owner of a rowing machine! Not sure if that is good or bad news! I need to clear a space in the garage to put it out. I am hoping that owning it will help my fitness levels and weight loss. However i have a suspicion that just owning it won't be enough I fear that you actually have to get on it
I could be getting my exercise a la Noah if this rain keeps up!
@HarrisonK I like the idea of staying at home in the warm can I have a note to say I can't come out today!
Take care

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All from Cornwall. We have been warned of a day of torrential rain and high winds. Since we are currently in Porthleven where in 2017 Storm Ophelia send waves right over the clock tower of the church we have a plan to stay in and read and if chances occur dash out. Oh and 6.1 for me today maybe its to do with dreaming about storms, high seas and smugglers.
Have a good day everyone. Take it easy out there, stay well stay safe

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
However i have a suspicion that just owning it won't be enough I fear that you actually have to get on it
Bildad that made me really laugh...I bought a treadmill so far the cat has been on it more than I have...like you I am concerned owning it is not enough & I may have to use it regularly:arghh::arghh::arghh:.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. A dripping June puts everything in tune so chin up folks. @HarrisonK great fbg and be careful on those roads with Miss Daisy. @Bildad great numbers and a very useful purchase; my favourite piece of gym equipment. @Shas3 a single figure won't derail the long term journey- just a delay at roadworks. My fbg was 6.4 according to my meter on one of the rare outings over the past 6 months. I don't advocate not testing frequently but I had a game plan which panned out ok. 6 month numbers in signature - 0.1 rise from Dec offset by every other piece of data/blood work best for 4 years. Biggest win could have come from cutting out coffee for most of the time and no alcohol for the whole time dealing with waking at stupid o'clock. Back to testing and mapping against cals as well as carbs - body seems to helpfully dump glucose at substantial cal deficit (>800 per day.) May also see if alcohol adversely affects sleep and resting pulse as I think it does. Long post but I have given LC and testing a broadside at times lately bottom line for me is it is a framework which needs big personalisation.

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Though i woke up with 6.3, after that breakfast (for those who are really keen, scroll up a few posts ) i was happy with 5.5. So decided to treat myself a bit... with all the weight loss over the last year, it was time to revamp the wardrobe... so some shopping happened for age appropriate linen clothes here we go ... pre vs. post

Before...

420c83ff1fa40073944e532814058f03.jpg

And today..

2b80ff022fafb74aa0af59dc111bc863.jpg

Wow