Not open for further replies.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
"Told" I doubt that very much..

I will admit I tend to ask vegetarians if they are doing it for moral reasons or "for their health" because if they are here then the "for their health" argument has evidently failed.. in that case I would suggest that re-introducing meat would be a sensible therapy.
I saw in one thread a few months back where a new member was (and I quote) told to “change your ethics”. It happens, not always as abruptly as that, but it happens. There’s never a problem in asking someone if it’s for health or ethical reasons, there’s many reasons people adopt various diets.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents - could we please stick to the thread topic, or take discussion elsewhere?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Personally, I like some meat, I like fish and I do like lot of veggies, both raw and cooked veggies. I don't think it would bother me much if, I couldn't eat meat any more for whatever reason, My favourite meats are chicken, pork and beef mince, so versatile.
What people eat is entirely up to them ( though some do have allergies to certain foods and therefore not really a choice) as we do have choices, meat lover's good for you, fish lovers good for you, veggie lovers another good for you. I enjoy my varied diet very much and, for now, I intend to keep that way :happy:

Reactions: WuTwo and zand
M

Member496333

What people eat is entirely up to them...

Once again though, the topic under discussion is that if Walter Willet (and the like) has his way, what everyone eats will be entirely up to him. We aren’t discussing the rights and wrongs of any particular personal choices. We are discussing the likelihood of those choices being effectively removed by despicable forces who believe their ethics should be enforced upon every human being on planet Earth. This is real. It is happening. See Canada for avoidance of doubt.

Reactions: Guzzler

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ladies and gents - could we please stick to the thread topic, or take discussion elsewhere?
Unfortunately it is very difficult to discuss the topic without discussing aspects of a non-animal diet or mentioning veg. The OP is asserting a stagement along the lines of the proposed World Diet is unhealthy for them or worse. This is also my experience when trying this type of diet. It is also my family's experience.

My daughter and son are both recent converts to veganism for health reasons. My daughter has been struck down by mysterious ailments since, and the GP is unable to sort her out. She has headaches, stomach pains and bloating, lethargy and muscle pains and trapped nerves. My son is still recovering from chemotherapy a year ago, and suffers similar ailments. Both claim their diet is not to blame since it is the healthiest diet on the planet ccording to the video blogs they follow, and their Guru's. They do not beleive me hen I say that their newsfeed is based on their search history so they are only getting news that validates their POV, and not a complete picture. They both follow the BBC, the Gaudian, and get their health info from the Lancet.

My daughter insists that I adopt a vegan diet to cure my T2D. When I was in Hospital recently she went through my freezer and larder and chucked out anything that had a suspicion of animal content in the bin. When I came home, there was no meat, and a freezer full of edame beans, adjouki beans, soy TVP, Quorn etc.

Last night she cooked a spaghetti bolognese, but used soy and black bean pasta, TVP, root veg and other ingredients a la Greger. Normally a spagbol raises me a couple of mmol/l but last night I went to bed a full 7 mmol/l higher after 5 hours from the meal.

My daughter insists on cooking for her Mother who is bedbound. So she is now forced to be vegan too. No options.

Strictly speaking my Da is flexitarian, since she eats Milk Chocolate and Ben & Jerrrys. She refuses to use supplements since that is fake news put out by the pro animal lobby, and cannot possibly be needed for such a healthy diet. She and my Son have swallowed the Go Vegan message completely, and their Guru's can speak no wrong. There is NO discussion in my house on this topic. They have been thoroughly indoctrinated.

What is it in those videos that engenders such blind faith? Have Millenials apparently lost the ability to question or even debate these issues. It seems the only conversations going on are Tweet length, disjointed, and shouted. I see this in TV plays and films where the dialogue seems to have been written in tweets, and soundbites. We have entered the age of the non sequitor and rhetoric prose. Rant Over

Last edited:
M

Member496333

To add further, never underestimate the power of “guidelines”. Guidelines dictate public policy. They will influence education. They will determine what is eaten in schools and hospitals. They will determine what is taught in medical schools, and they will influence public perception. Mission creep will soon result in taxation and eventually the effective removal of choice.

This is what is being discussed in this topic. Not whether or not someone feels aggrieved by someone else’s choice of words in a different thread six months ago.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Once again though, the topic under discussion is that if Walter Willet (and the like) has his way, what everyone eats will be entirely up to him. We aren’t discussing the rights and wrongs of any particular personal choices. We are discussing the likelihood of those choices being effectively removed by despicable forces who believe their ethics should be enforced upon every human being on planet Earth. This is real. It is happening. See Canada for avoidance of doubt.
See China where there were laws passed on New Years Eve to reduce meat consumption by 50% this year, and they are indeed enforcing it in that country.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP is asserting a stagement along the lines of the proposed World Diet is unhealthy for them or worse. This is also my experience when trying this type of diet. It is also my family's experience.
This is my experience also.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Yes, as I said earlier and rather bluntly, it is akin to forced conversion. If the situation was reversed and a non meat eater was in danger of losing their choices I would be very uncomfortable with that.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Beggar this for a game of monkeys. I am converting to Pastafarianism, and if anyone disses my choice then I will have them for religious discrimination.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Beggar this for a game of monkeys. I am converting to Pastafarianism, and if anyone disses my choice then I will have them for religious discrimination.
Welcome! My husband is actually an ordained minister in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. His workplace was obliged by religious discrimination rules to provide him with spaghetti and meatballs on a Friday, as per Pastafarian belief. I make low carb spaghetti with vegan meatballs for myself ;)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Catchup TV: Tonight
To add further, never underestimate the power of “guidelines”. Guidelines dictate public policy. They will influence education. They will determine what is eaten in schools and hospitals. They will determine what is taught in medical schools, and they will influence public perception. Mission creep will soon result in taxation and eventually the effective removal of choice.

This is what is being discussed in this topic. Not whether or not someone feels aggrieved by someone else’s choice of words in a different thread six months ago.
Right on que, now rice is a better protein than meat (Courtesy of Walter Willet, Dr Katz):
It was part of my plan to contact my brother by another mother (last name) in a few months. I know some have objected to Shawn's click bait early stuff (just to get recognised), but he is factual and not dogmatic.

In addition I was flicking through my recorded material on Sky+, when I found by accident:
"Meat: Is it Still Safe? Tonight" - this was aired at prime time 19:30 6th June on ITV - for those who do not believe a conspiracy is going on, meat eater or not, maybe the timing and content may change your mind

Reactions: Guzzler

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can tell my mere presence causes ill-feeling
no it doesnt. the derailing may be casuign some feeling, which is not only you, but the subject matter. We are discussing government controlled choices which are harmful to some of us.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I’ve seen several vegetarians on this very forum told to rethink their ethics and to start eating meat.
That would be so wrong. All I would say, is live by how you feel (physically and mentally), by your meter and bio markers. i.e. if your protocol is working for you, do what makes you happy. I will be honest and say, I struggle with the choices some make for children; I never say anything direct....but if I was asked I would have to stay true to my observations.

Reactions: LooperCat
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
[Q
Unfortunately it is very difficult to discuss the topic without discussing aspects of a non-animal diet or mentioning veg. T

Can't argue with that, as other things do get mentioned all the time. I see other posts that are not about 'Mr Willet' yours included,Pastafarianism, which, I must say, did make me laugh :hilarious:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Welcome! My husband is actually an ordained minister in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. His workplace was obliged by religious discrimination rules to provide him with spaghetti and meatballs on a Friday, as per Pastafarian belief. I make low carb spaghetti with vegan meatballs for myself ;)

:hilarious:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Catchup TV: Tonight

Right on que, now rice is a better protein than meat (Courtesy of Walter Willet, Dr Katz):
It was part of my plan to contact my brother by another mother (last name) in a few months. I know some have objected to Shawn's click bait early stuff (just to get recognised), but he is factual and not dogmatic.

In addition I was flicking through my recorded material on Sky+, when I found by accident:
"Meat: Is it Still Safe? Tonight" - this was aired at prime time 19:30 6th June on ITV - for those who do not believe a conspiracy is going on, meat eater or not, maybe the timing and content may change your mind
Aye, the 'Redefining Protein' thaing can only be described as shennagigans.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Incidentally, I only posted at #105 to enhance what Mel dCP said, and then again later to clarify what I'd said.

I'll bow out again now. I can tell my mere presence causes ill-feeling although I don't know why when it wouldn't occur to me to tell someone else how to live their life.
I have seen some of your posts, which I feel would help and assist new and experienced Vegans with meal variety. You have every right to put alternative views. For full clarity I believe some Vegans can thrive and sustain under that protocol; taking the anecdotes at face value this is evident. I have issues with "dirty" Vegan, but I aslo have problems with "dirty" Keto. I struggle when I am told, I can reverse diabetes on bananas, potatoes, basically starches.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
And that my friends, is the crux of the matter. The militants on both or all sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.