What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Done that crossing almost every year of my life. Family from Dublin. The crossing can get very choppy. Passengers dropping like flies on more than one occasion!
Debs just thinking about it as I sip my coffee makes me feel queasy.

Reactions: gennepher

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.3 this morning so out of Cornwall and back to the old levels. Tbh I didnt feel that great yesterday, ate very little and felt very cold. It was stunning driving across Dartmoor but we are done now. Had a reasonable sleep and heading for home after breakfast. @DJC3 hope you are feeling better after a blip a couple of days ago.
@Bildad hope the meeting goes well you are very good to do what you do.
@gennepher step away from that ladder...hope you find a roofer pronto!
@Krystyna23040 you are storming it with those numbers.
The chat about vit C has reminded me I havent been taking my vits while away. I tale 1000 slow release vit c, 2 x 500ml cod liver oil capsules (cos they’re big) and a multi vit b complex. Maybe thats why Inran out of steam.
Have a good day everyone. Stay well, safe and dry if you can.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...feeling a bit rough...my knee was a nightmare yesterday...nothing seemed to take the edge off it...even prescription pain killers...I have spoken to my GP just before he leaves he's made a referral to the MSK team...will go for an x- ray in a week or so...wondering if the rise in my BG's (not a huge one) is a result of the pain/stress...it is slightly easier this morning but I won't be doing much today...on a positive note the sun is out and I have good coffee...woke to a 6.3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - I find this T2D an endless puzzle - trying to work out what really works for me. Maybe (as my sister says) that I am a bit obsessive with my keto diet and record keeping but I find it endlessly fascinating that tiny tweaks to what I am doing can make a difference.

It is a puzzle. I obsessed to start with but after about a year I gradually eased off, thinking I knew what ‘safe’ meals were, but even then I found there were just too many variables to take into account. Similar menus on different days would give completely different results. I think the confusing thing for me is the lag effect - it can take days for a spell of exercise or inactivity to show up in bg levels so it’s always hard to know what exactly the cause is/was.
I think I need to go back to better record keeping though, it’s so easy to let things slip and allow small changes to sneak in - snacking for instance. I will endeavour to take a leaf out of your book and increase the mindfulness/ meditation too - another thing Ive let slip.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.5 today, that’s nearly a week of 6s darn it.
@Bubbsie sorry to hear about your knee I hope your referral comes through soon. Take it easy today and enjoy that coffee.
@PenguinMum how odd that your numbers have gone up the minute you left Cornwall - you should definitely eat more moules, they obviously agreed with you. Hope you aren’t coming down with anything though and the journey back is ok and your post holiday washing pile isn’t too horrendous. I wonder if your lack of vit supplements esp vit C did affect you?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - I find this T2D an endless puzzle - trying to work out what really works for me. Maybe (as my sister says) that I am a bit obsessive with my keto diet and record keeping but I find it endlessly fascinating that tiny tweaks to what I am doing can make a difference.
Not obsessive to be meticulous over managing a long term health problem which we all know can have very unpleasant consequences if ignored. The tweaking required is highly personalised IMHO and implies, to me, that there is an lc/keto spectrum for good control and personal satisfaction. Past medical history, co-morbidity, age plus at least height and weight must surely make a difference. The other point I have noticed is that whilst individual readings may vary wildly my own a1c numbers are quite tightly grouped over the last 4 years. Personally, I am unsure what good control means and how that fits alongside all other health markers.
@DJC3 - have the higher numbers coincided with stopping metformin or are you now taking it again? @PenguinMum ignore the blips and keep your eyes on the prize, you are doing fine. @Bildad what an amazing thing to do huge respect. @HarrisonK hug for the disturbed sleep.
Anyone feel like posting links to either lc friendly vit c or potassium/ multi vtamins please? TIA

Last edited:

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry to hear about your knee I hope your referral comes through soon. Take it easy today and enjoy that coffee.
Thanks DJC I'm not moving today unless it's absolutely necessary...it's an old injury from my sporty days...so I know the cause as for the cure who knows?:)

Reactions: DJC3 and gennepher

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That time when your chimp whispers in your ear, “your contract is now over, why not change your phone?”
Even with the nice little cable that blows all your stuff into the new phone, it never quite does it without having to oil the wheels, re-tension the warp threads or change the shuttles.

Anyhow, and using the old phone - the wheel of wonderment and almost portage reported a 5.5 on the screen - mind you it was 0450 so my eyes may have been a bit blurred.

Just about got everything in place on my new phone now - will it improve my life in any way? NO.

Have a great weekend if you can, koffy needed.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally a dry morning! Not sure it will last though the clouds are very grey. 5.4 this morning. A stressful day ahead - A planning meeting for a Sunday school summer camp ( a week away with a dozen or so teenagers) The stress levels begin to build from here on in. I should be used to it by now this will be my 45th year but some of those were as a participant rather than a leader. It wouldn't be so bad if the government didn't keep adding red tape that we need to keep up to date with.
Take care

I admire you. I used to love church camp retreats when I was a teenager ... I would never be brave enough to even co-lead one now! One of my best friends does teenager camps for her church and apparently really enjoys it -- as I imagine the kids do too. The world needs people like y'all -- despite the governmental red tape that seems to stick to everything, even church stuff, nowadays. Guess it's well meant ...

Prayers for many blessings for you as well as for the teenagers at your camp. :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Gennepher - no they are not intrusive questions at all and I absolutely don't mind answering them. I am taking it in tablet form and I do agree that staggering the dose throughout the day seems to be the best way to take the Vitamin C rather than in one big dose. Although I must admit that I haven't staggered mine very well - taking 1000mg with breakfast, the same with my main meal and the 3rd one with a coffee.

I was worried about the body flushing the excess out and read this very interesting article by Patrick Holford https://www.patrickholford.com/blog/the-vitamin-c-pee-myth. He may be right - and I really hope he is because if not I am passing some really expensive wee.

I have done some research on Vitamin C and a bit more while trying to find a roofer who will come out today (loose tile/s). So, below are what I have come up with while waiting...

https://diabetesnsw.com.au/helpful-resources/news/vitamin-c-found-to-help-type-2/

“A new study from Deakin University has found that taking 500mg of vitamin C twice daily can help those with type 2 diabetes by lowering elevated blood sugar levels across the day and minimising spikes in blood sugar after meals.”

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...ucose-levels-in-type-2-diabetes-95348957.html

Diabetes.co.uk mention about the Deakin Study

https://www.nps.org.au/news/can-vitamin-c-help-type-2-diabetes

“Could vitamin C help people with type 2 diabetes? A small study suggests it might, but there's more to the story. Find out more.”

This one suggests the study above by Deakin University may be flawed because it studied mostly men.

https://www.dovepress.com/effects-o...s-mellitus-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-NDS

A full pdf from abstract all the way through to the conclusion of this study. Interesting reading.

A part of the abstract says “Studies suggest an association between vitamin C deficiency and diabetes. An association between vitamin D and insulin resistance has been well described; however, the role of vitamin C and D supplementation in diabetes and its prevention requires further controlled trials.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3254006/

Another full study from abstract through to conclusion.
The abstract begins...
“No study has ever examined the effect of vitamin C with metformin on fasting (FBS) and postmeal blood glucose (PMBG) as well as glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA1c) in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM). The goal was to examine the effect of oral vitamin C with metformin on FBS, PMBG, HbA1c, and plasma ascorbic acid level (PAA) with type 2 DM.”

https://drhoffman.com/article/ask-leyla-can-vitamin-c-raise-blood-sugar/

This is a random question I found and and answer by Dr Hoffman

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006899317303633

This is just an abstract. But do not read any further in the actual abstract if the idea of the fate of lab animals upsets you. There is a conclusion in the abstract. The first part of the abstract is below.

“Abstract
Diabetes mellitus and depression are the common comorbid disorders affecting humans worldwide. There is an unmet need to develop therapeutic strategies to treat both diabetes mellitus and comorbid depression. The present study evaluated the effectiveness of metformin and ascorbic acid against type 2 diabetes mellitus and comorbid depression in rats. Four groups of diabetic rats were orally administered with vehicle (1 mL/kg), metformin (25 mg/kg), ascorbic acid (25 mg/kg), or combination of metformin (25 mg/kg) and ascorbic acid (25 mg/kg) for 11 consecutive days.”

https://www.consumerlab.com/answers/is-it-possible-to-take-too-much-vitamin-c/too_much_vitamin_c/

Just a short bit of information

https://draxe.com/vitamin-c-side-effects/

On Vitamin C Side Effects & How to Prevent Adverse Reactions

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=low+carb+vit+c&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

I keyed in low carb vitamin c into google and these are the links it threw up.

I haven’t looked at the low carb vit c links in that google search yet, although I have read everything else above. I am not saying I agree or disagree with any of the links. I need to read them all again

But my roofer has finally arrived today (which is why there is so much research above. I was sitting by the window to make sure I didn’t miss him...)
He has bedded in several loose tiles with cement and I am fully happy with that. I think @PenguinMum might be relieved I didn’t go up that ladder...

I am now off to the potting shed where the cat, Popeye, is sleeping, and I am going to sleep as well...afternoon siesta time...byeeee

>^..^<

PS maybe some of you will find something interesting here. I need to go through it again but later.

Reactions: geefull

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Showing a not unreasonable 6.0 this morning.
Late night/ early start surely plays a part

Yesterday's score of 7.0, was accompanied by lots of phlegm and if it had carried on I would have said the beginning of a cold, but it seems to have disappeared today, ( thank you ginger tea. )

And @Krystyna23040 .
Agree fully with @ianpspurs

It's a life long concern, with some nasty complications if ignored.

I say record away, the worst that happens is you use up a lot of ....
Ink/pens/ time/paper/gigabytes...
select as appropriate.;)

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not obsessive to be meticulous over managing a long term health problem which we all know can have very unpleasant consequences if ignored. The tweaking required is highly personalised IMHO and implies, to me, that there is an lc/keto spectrum for good control and personal satisfaction. Past medical history, co-morbidity, age plus at least height and weight must surely make a difference. The other point I have noticed is that whilst individual readings may vary wildly my own a1c numbers are quite tightly grouped over the last 4 years. Personally, I am unsure what good control means and how that fits alongside all other health markers.
@DJC3 - have the higher numbers coincided with stopping metformin or are you now taking it again? @PenguinMum ignore the blips and keep your eyes on the prize, you are doing fine. @Bildad what an amazing thing to do huge respect. @HarrisonK hug for the disturbed sleep.
Anyone feel like posting links to either lc friendly vit c or potassium/ multi vtamins please? TIA

No - that’s the strange thing - they were higher for a week or so, and certainly there were bigger spikes than I was used to, but then it settled and seemed to go back to earlier levels. It’s just been the last few days. I think I’ve just had too much protein and food in general and in too wide an eating window - I’m too slapdash and keep taking my eye off the ball!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am excited to report we have a new addition to the family: Dennis a miniature schnauzer pup. It’s almost a year to the day since our feisty terrier Tilly died and we felt now was a good time for another doggy companion. He is adorable.
36e28418-be7a-4914-ae0a-cbb801f711c4.jpg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am excited to report we have a new addition to the family: Dennis a miniature schnauzer pup. It’s almost a year to the day since our feisty terrier Tilly died and we felt now was a good time for another doggy companion. He is adorable.
View attachment 33654
Looks adorable. Will be fascinating to see the impact Dennis has on your bg levels and general wellbeing. I have a hunch your bg is about to improve. I seriously doubt that you are slapdash, just doing your best. Seems to me plenty of us stare at this Rosrach blot and see all sorts of hidden patterns and meanings which aren't actually there.

Last edited:

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all :)

was 4.7 this morning

It started out a bit grey here but turned out to be a lovely day, We took mum over to Dornoch for a walk around and then lunch and then later took the wee dog for a walk in the afternoon ;)

Loads of Canadians about in Dornoch from a cruise ship, all very friendly and enjoying Scotland although they were being whisked about at a brisk pace by their tour guide :hilarious:

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

trick60

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 33654

What a handsome fella, I hope you give each other much joy, he looks like a bundle of fun.