Should I stop keto and Intermittent Fasting now?

Ketocate

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too had the eye disturbances for about a month, I figured my brain had settled in to using fat when it stopped! Glad to hear you will Keto on

Reactions: ziggy_w

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Doesn't want to lose her job or something. Can't have diabetics going off on their own and doing well, right? ;)
Perish the thought of people taking charge of their health, bad for business! :hilarious:

Reactions: Ketocate

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the interest of balance, there have indeed been reports of retinopathy showing up after rapid introduction of control.
It is a quite well known ‘thing’.

However, there are a lot of different factors in the mix, and (from memory) there is a strong liklihood that the retinopathy was already present and lurking before the control was achieved, and just becomes obvious as the control is gained.

Also, good control encourages retinopathy to heal.

So I think we all have to weigh the pros and cons.
Lower bgs gradually, and risk further damage during that process?
Or lower bgs rapidly, accept there may be some retinopathy revealed (which may have revealed in time anyway) and then keep that control, allowing/hoping/encouraging the healing to happen via the good control.

I know that @Dark Horse has some excellent links on this, but the best I could find was this:
http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/retinopathyprogression.htm

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
In the interest of balance, there have indeed been reports of retinopathy showing up after rapid introduction of control.
It is a quite well known ‘thing’.

However, there are a lot of different factors in the mix, and (from memory) there is a strong liklihood that the retinopathy was already present and lurking before the control was achieved, and just becomes obvious as the control is gained.

Also, good control encourages retinopathy to heal.

Thanks

So I think we all have to weigh the pros and cons.
Lower bgs gradually, and risk further damage during that process?
Or lower bgs rapidly, accept there may be some retinopathy revealed (which may have revealed in time anyway) and then keep that control, allowing/hoping/encouraging the healing to happen via the good control.

I know that @Dark Horse has some excellent links on this, but the best I could find was this:
http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/retinopathyprogression.htm

Thanks @Brunneria I really appreciate this

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Thank you. There's just such a lot to learn at first and I'm often overwhelmed with information and choices and things I have to find out how to do for the first time, and it all seems so urgent and vital. I don't know what I would do without you guys!

It is my understanding that T2 is the cause of diabetic retinopathy. Not the carb load
Don't change the diet.
Hi there, I was diagnosed T2 in May, (Hba1c 82,)found out later I had been Pre Diabetic since 2015, since May 10th I have been following a low carb diet, started at 80g a day gradually reducing, now it's down to 30g. I have also been doing I.F. I have recently read something which said that if you reduce carbs too quickly it can cause retinopathy and nerve damage. In May I had blurred vision for 2 weeks, then it suddenly went away; it's fine now. My question is, should I increase my carbs again? I don't want to damage my body, but I also want to lose weight and reverse the diabetes. Everything was going well with keto, I feel great for the first time in ages, but I'm worried now about potential nerve damage etc. Thanks for reading this.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is my understanding that T2 is the cause of diabetic retinopathy. Not the carb load
Don't change the diet.

Retinopathy is usually caused by persistent high blood sugars. Carbs have a direct effect on blood sugar so reducing carbs as much as possible will reduce the risk.
Many T2’s don’t have retinopathy.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Dark Horse

Hi there, I was diagnosed T2 in May, (Hba1c 82,)found out later I had been Pre Diabetic since 2015, since May 10th I have been following a low carb diet, started at 80g a day gradually reducing, now it's down to 30g. I have also been doing I.F. I have recently read something which said that if you reduce carbs too quickly it can cause retinopathy and nerve damage. In May I had blurred vision for 2 weeks, then it suddenly went away; it's fine now. My question is, should I increase my carbs again? I don't want to damage my body, but I also want to lose weight and reverse the diabetes. Everything was going well with keto, I feel great for the first time in ages, but I'm worried now about potential nerve damage etc. Thanks for reading this.
Blurred vision is sometimes reported when people start improving their blood glucose control. It's due to glucose affecting the refractive index of the lens and can last for a few weeks. If it had persisted, it would need checking out as there are other causes of blurred vision.

It is thought that, in some people, a sudden, large improvement in HbA1c could cause a temporary increase in retinopathy. This would usually be in someone who has had a high HbA1c for years (due to poor control or being undiagnosed) and has existing moderate retinopathy. If you've only recently transitioned from pre-diabetic to diabetic levels, it seems very unlikely that there would be a problem.

In the UK, you should be offered a retinopathy screen within 3 months of diagnosis.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Thanks everyone for your responses and support, I really appreciate you all xx

Reactions: bulkbiker