What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a fasting blood test this morning, so no breakfast.
Early lunch was kale soup and an oatcake. I did add a spoonful of yoghurt to the soup since the chilli pepper I put into it has developed quite a strong taste over the last couple of days.
Just had a pear because I was still hungry after about 3 hours.
Might just make bacon and egg for dinner - easiest thing with work going on on the utility room and the place all cluttered up.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Welcome @Annb ! I used to make oatcakes (as I called them) for breakfast every day. Egg, rolled oats, water or soy milk, and tons of cinnamon. I'd bake them on the stove in a small skillet. Yummy! Oats are now too high carb for me. As would be the pear, sigh. It's nice to meet you!
Gotta watch out for that hot pepper!

Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
12 noon - 4 slices of panchetta, two tomatoes, halved fried in a splodge of butter then in with an egg. One 90 sec almond flour roll - cut in half and share the contents of the pan between the two slices.

Dinner. All ready to go: braised radish with panchetta (still had some left), shallots and shredded cabbage.
Pudding will be a blob of kefir with a few frozen berries stirred in and topped with some home made granola.
Merlot.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely summer's day and England won the cricket - the perfect combination. Planned OMAD but events dear boy, events changed things somewhat. No B. NE1, should have been the OMAD , was 2 slices toasted Schniederbrot protein bread (7.9 carbs it says) liberally spread with Houmous (another returning fave) followed by Fage 5% and pot of lc jelly. Reason for derail was long phone call to organise removal for repair of TV (eventually found my contract). NE2 was large piece of rump steak, portobello mushrooms and mixed leaf salad. Presumably good to introduce red meat for variety but enjoyed the mushrooms and salad more. All in all, simple, a little variety and probably nutritious. Red meat eating out of the way for a while. Somewhere between a pond and a lake of tea.
ETA_forgot the hot chocolate in which I "buried" some double cream (very much a returning fave)

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs what a great menu, so glad you got pleasure from it and the cricket. Must have spent 10 years ferrying both boys to cricket mostly when OH worked away and never understood it but could see how much joy it gave and the teas were great. Many a weekend spent as a single parent in-that world. Hope the continuing home move trialsgo smoothly. Best wishes.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My food today:
Breakfast: Slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x 2.
Lunch: complete surprise. Friend in invited me over for casual lunch. Wed is her day off. She had got a couple of other friends round and served a lovely LC lunch. Cup of watercress soup, salmon fillet on wilted spinach with yogurt & mint dressing. I brought along a Chocolate Olive Oil cake (my first attempt) which was surprisingly good and a punnet of fresh raspberries.
Supper: not at all hungry but might nibble a bit of cheese to get me through the night.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs what a great menu, so glad you got pleasure from it and the cricket. Must have spent 10 years ferrying both boys to cricket mostly when OH worked away and never understood it but could see how much joy it gave and the teas were great. Many a weekend spent as a single parent in-that world. Hope the continuing home move trialsgo smoothly. Best wishes.
Hope the blood tests went well and results come back in timely manner and as you want. Cricket has been important for 3 generations of this family and travelling around Kent and Surrey playing made my 10 years in London bearable. Top mum for those weekends and cricket teas are an institution. Julie's were a thing of beauty known throughout our league when I move back to The Fens to captain the village irregulars.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very busy day rushing around but managed some food and drink treats!
Breakfast bacon and egg.
Lunch a few strips of smoked salmon mixed with half an advocado, lemon juice, mayo and sprinkle of seeds served with celery and a few lc seeded crispbreads followed by four hc 100% choc buttons and decaf coffee.
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, cauliflower cheese and asparagus with two white wine sodas followed by mix of home grown strawberries the first ripe raspberry, a spoon of oppo choc ice cream and yoghurt.
@zauberflote I looked up seltzer’s today after reading your entry and it made fascinating reading - with growth of the seltzer and the hard seltzer market in the USA. I clearly make a home made version of the US hard seltzer mixing soda water with a little bit of dry white wine.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Today’s food as follows:
CWC this morning
L: Clearing our the freezer I found some slices of Dr Almond black bread so had 2 with cream cheese, smoked salmon and 2 cherry toms. Sf jelly’s& cream.
D: Calves liver, bacon, mushrooms, a bit of fried onion, cabbage and broccoli. Glass of red. Later a bit of HC 100% Easter egg
@Chook I hope you have a better night tonight, is your poor dog ok now?
@SlimLizzy hugs for all your current trials, you are certainly going through the mill recently. Particularly frustrating must be the loss of your radish crop after all the wonderful cooked radish recipes appearing here recently.
@shelley262 I really like the sound of your lunch - I nearly always have smoked salmon and avocado in the fridge but had never thought of cutting them up and mixing with lemon and mayo. I might well have that tomorrow.
@PenguinMum what a lovely thoughtful friend to make you such a wonderful lc lunch. Glad the choc olive oil cake went down well.

Viv19

Today’s food was not especially wonderful.
Tea
Shortly before midday we stopped for ‘brunch.’ Actually brunch is impossible on German motorways. I had hoped to stop in the Netherlands, where I had a delicious breakfast a few years ago, but we must have been on a different road - no restaurants at petrol stations to be seen.
So NE1 (nod to ianpspurs) was a ratatouille with a large frikadella (meatball) - it sounds better than it was. Veg was missing seasoning, garlic, herbs and tomatoes. Frikdella was just too ...... meaty.
Almonds and water trying to take away the horrible after taste.
Another stop for coffee, trying to stay awake- it did work.
Water, almonds, 2 babybel.
Now back home and I have no energy to think about food so I just had 2 slices of Gouda and a cup of tea.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: Babybel cheeses x2 with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: lemon chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken, coconut and lemon stir fry (no noodles) followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s food was not especially wonderful.
Tea
Shortly before midday we stopped for ‘brunch.’ Actually brunch is impossible on German motorways. I had hoped to stop in the Netherlands, where I had a delicious breakfast a few years ago, but we must have been on a different road - no restaurants at petrol stations to be seen.
So NE1 (nod to ianpspurs) was a ratatouille with a large frikadella (meatball) - it sounds better than it was. Veg was missing seasoning, garlic, herbs and tomatoes. Frikdella was just too ...... meaty.
Almonds and water trying to take away the horrible after taste.
Another stop for coffee, trying to stay awake- it did work.
Water, almonds, 2 babybel.
Now back home and I have no energy to think about food so I just had 2 slices of Gouda and a cup of tea.
How is the toe?

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My food today

Cwc

Scrambled eggs
Cwc

Cappuccino

My friend bought lunch. We went to this garden centre because you can get proper cooked lunches. But not any more. Everything now was bread bread and more bread of every description...
I said I couldn’t eat any of it. She was upset because it was her treat to me for my birthday (which is tomorrow). She went and asked if they would adjust the food for me but no joy.
I googled nearby places, but again far too carby.
So in the end I opted for ciabatta with meat and mushrooms...and it came with salad which I cannot eat because I cannot swallow salad, not even with mayo or oils. I choke on leafy stuff and minced onions. Cooked veg I can eat and swallow, but they don’t do it any more. They didn’t even do soup.

So there was this minute slice of beef (rather tough actually) that I had to use about 6 sachets of mayonnaise to try and swallow it. And two mushrooms very well sliced.

Try the ciabatta, it’s nice my friend said. No I said, it will raise my blood glucose a lot, and proceeded to give a lecture/discussion on what it can do to me. I wouldn’t back down. At one time I would have eaten some to keep the other person happy.

She went to the counter again to get a cuppa tea, and came back asking would I like a piece of diabetic cake. I said no, because I didn’t know if their idea of diabetic cake with low carbs was the same as my idea of diabetic cake.

So she tried again and said there was strawberries and cream. Great I said.

So I had strawberries and double cream and so did she. She only had a tiny bit of cream because she said it was fattening. So I finished her cream off for her.

I got home late, too late to eat, but I had a cwc and am about to have another.

So, not much eaten because that’s the way the day worked out.
And we are not going back there again...

Also drank water today.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Viv19 glad you finally got home but it’s a shame your meal stop was so rubbish. Did your swollen toe hold out or is it protesting now?
@gennepher what a pity about your lunch, a great shame for both you and your friend, but well done for sticking to your guns and not giving in to ciabatta. Hope your birthday food tomorrow is more successful.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher I dont know whether to laugh or cry. You made it sound like a comedy of errors but of course it wasnt. My friend did a birthday lunch for me today too but she carefully put a menu together which was LC. So we are both Cancerians, I am next Monday. Not wanting any fuss this year as last year was my 60th and I was so spoiled by everyone. Can I be early in wishing you a happy birthday and wishing you good health and good things in the year to come.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Liquid one at the club, the lady bowlers put on some nice savoury snacks and stuff.
Dinner: Y bone steak, and veggies, gravy.
Breakfast: Usual omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee, beer, water.

My partner said Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food truck was doing a display at the Stockland shopping centre car park yesterday.

One of the sweet thangs that the ladies had to eat yesterday a Tim Tam Flan.

64995668_1074236042762356_1794857650358321152_n.jpg

65028242_1074231556096138_4559801061145051136_n.jpg

Viv19

@Viv19 glad you finally got home but it’s a shame your meal stop was so rubbish. Did your swollen toe hold out or is it protesting now?
The toe is ridiculous. It looks like a fat sausage - overnight I imagine that it’s becoming thinner, then after walking it’s fat again. How something so small can influence what I can and cannot do seems really stupid. Pretty sure it’s broken but there’s really nothing to do. I usually do everything quite fast, so really hate this slow time.
I’m being dive bombed right now by mosquitoes A wonderful welcome home!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher what a pity about your lunch, a great shame for both you and your friend, but well done for sticking to your guns and not giving in to ciabatta. Hope your birthday food tomorrow is more successful.

I showed my friend a diabetic cake recipe I would eat that was on my phone. She studied it, said she didn’t have all the ingredients, but could she swap such and such for something else etc. Half an hour later of discussion and she feels happy enough to make me a diabetic late birthday cake which I will get in 2 weeks time!

I am taking strawberries and cream to my art group. So that solves the birthday treat for there!

Otherwise I will be eating my own food at home!
>^..^<

Last edited: