What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dunelm, are you feeling any benefits from your kefir consumption, a little while in?

I really don’t know. I started taking it as a probiotic. However, as everyone seems to have differing mixes of gut bacteria it’s difficult to know what works for the individual. I do like the tartness of it and always separate the curds from the whey, ending up with a thick, Greek yoghurt like product.
I also make my own turmeric tea using fresh turmeric root as an anti-inflammatory- I have no idea what it is doing but like a lot of things that are taken for prevention rather than treatment - never sure.
Sorry that I can’t be more helpful.

Reactions: Viv19 and ianpspurs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really don’t know. I started taking it as a probiotic. However, as everyone seems to have differing mixes of gut bacteria it’s difficult to know what works for the individual. I do like the tartness of it and always separate the curds from the whey, ending up with a thick, Greek yoghurt like product.
I also make my own turmeric tea using fresh turmeric root as an anti-inflammatory- I have no idea what it is doing but like a lot of things that are taken for prevention rather than treatment - never sure.
Sorry that I can’t be more helpful.

No worries, Dunelm. Truthful is always better than flannel.

I'm sort of the same. At first, I thought it had revved up my bowel, but I don't think so any more.

It's a bit unfortnate really, as my thyroid appears to be going off a cliff at the same time, so hard to be definite about what's causing what. Oh, and a recent mistaken skirmish with gluten is in th mix too add wrinkles.

Never mind. I quite like the stuff, and am amazed how much those blobb-tastic blobs grow!

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19

Viv19

No worries, Dunelm. Truthful is always better than flannel.

I'm sort of the same. At first, I thought it had revved up my bowel, but I don't think so any more.

It's a bit unfortnate really, as my thyroid appears to be going off a cliff at the same time, so hard t be definite about what's causing what. Oh, and a recent mistaken skirmish with gluten is in th mix to add wrinkles.

Never mind. I quite like the stuff, and am amazed how much those blobb-tastic blobs grow!

That sounds fascinating . Everyone talks about the blobs growing. I’ve eaten bought kefir but had no idea that it was made differently to yoghurt.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The tweaked ratatouille I had last night tasted great, but had a disastrous effect on my gut! Very much regretting having it now. Same effect as the cauliflower rice I had the other day. I think vegetables are beginning to disagree with me. I'll have to go easy on them for a while.

Breakfast today was the last of the ham I made sandwiches with yesterday with a small tomato salad. (the ham was the only kind we can get here - plastic wrapped supermarket variety).
Lunch - I was going to have some yoghurt but didn't bother when it came to it.
Dinner - I have some white fish out of the freezer - can't remember what kind and it is unidentifiable without its skin. I'll probably make a coconut flour batter and fry it in strips. No veggies!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just stopped eating as water only from now on until my bloods are taken first thing tomorrow. I’ve got a full lipid panel for which you have to water only fast for 14 hours. I will miss my tea and coffee but don’t normally eat after dinner until mid morning or later so not too daunting. Then a week to wait for appt and results.
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg
Lunch small portion of sardines in olive oil with seaweed thins and celery followed by 6 hc 100% choc buttons
Dinner stir fried mix of kale, radish and spring onion with two lamb chops followed by sf jelly and yoghurt.

Viv19

Tea
Gym
Cwc and nuts
2 slices LC bread, one w smoked salmon and other with blue cheese.
Yoghurt and berries.
Cwc more tea . Edit. forgot. Cubes of cheddar.
Chicken curry with assorted veg and cauli rice.
Wine with water.
Today I really fancy something sweet. perhaps I’ll have more yoghurt and berries.
Our local Aldi has had good British cheddar available- both mild and mature - for the past 6 months. Now it’s gone, and instead there’s Irish sliced coloured cheddar. Not the same! It’s probably that blasted Brexit!!
Posted on the wrong thread. It’s sad, loss of brain cells.
Managed to ignore the call of dessert!!

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

A few cashew nuts
Bits dark chocolate
Black coffees

Breakfast about 8 am
Eggs and a bit cheese thrown in microwave.
Ate two slices corned beef while eggs were nuking.
Coffee with cream

Was out with friends today so had roast lunch while we were all out.
Copious variety vegetables, 2 thick slices gammon, 2 roast potatoes (I only asked for 2, but lady put 6 on my plate). I had promised myself I could have only two roast spuds. So was fighting with myself because I wanted the other 4 roast spuds as well....but I was a very very good girl and left them.

They all had a roast dinner as well, but afterwards they are having these delicious fresh cream cakes. I didn’t have any!

My reward was a perfect evening blood glucose reading for me of 7.3

Water and teas to drink

>^..^<

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5 hr eating window today, double glazed obs. Usual lake of tea today. A fair amount between sorting out the dog first thing and NE1 at 2.40 ish. The nutes were in 2 xtra big flaxseed crackers, whipped cream cheese, celery, cucumber and cherry vine toms. NE2 was around 7.00 egg and avocado salad with some cubes of blue cheese - they may be a problem for #jointgate. Topped up fluid with water and electrolytes. Best wishes for the tests tomorrow @shelley262. I am sure bg will be spiffing.
ETA: I also had 10 cal jelly and Fage 5% for NE1

Last edited:

Viv19

Eaten today

A few cashew nuts
Bits dark chocolate
Black coffees

Breakfast about 8 am
Eggs and a bit cheese thrown in microwave.
Ate two slices corned beef while eggs were nuking.
Coffee with cream

Was out with friends today so had roast lunch while we were all out.
Copious variety vegetables, 2 thick slices gammon, 2 roast potatoes (I only asked for 2, but lady put 6 on my plate). I had promised myself I could have only two roast spuds. So was fighting with myself because I wanted the other 4 roast spuds as well....but I was a very very good girl and left them.

They all had a roast dinner as well, but afterwards they are having these delicious fresh cream cakes. I didn’t have any!

My reward was a perfect evening blood glucose reading for me of 7.3

Water and teas to drink

>^..^<

Strong willed gennepher!!

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tea
Gym
Cwc and nuts
2 slices LC bread, one w smoked salmon and other with blue cheese.
Yoghurt and berries.
Cwc more tea . Edit. forgot. Cubes of cheddar.
Chicken curry with assorted veg and cauli rice.
Wine with water.
Today I really fancy something sweet. perhaps I’ll have more yoghurt and berries.
Our local Aldi has had good British cheddar available- both mild and mature - for the past 6 months. Now it’s gone, and instead there’s Irish sliced coloured cheddar. Not the same! It’s probably that blasted Brexit!!
Posted on the wrong thread. It’s sad, loss of brain cells.
Odd feeling of deja vu:angelic:

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My OH has been playing in a golf match today, so will be fed by his hosts. That means I fed myself.

I had saved the following, ultra, ultra simple recipe a few days ago, when I was looking for something else, but tonight it received an airing. The recipe is for lamb chops, but I did it with some chicken thighs. I marinaded a number, only a couple of which were eaten. When finished, I looked to wards the freezer, but was strong.

At only 30 minutes in the airfryer for a crispy, delicious outcome. There'll be more of these.

https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/2609649-tandoori-lamb-chops

I'm sure it's work with lots of stuff from lamb to chicken to paneer, to even cauliflower florets.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. It’s been a rollercoaster of a week but all good now. Food wise today just water and black coffee before my scan this morning
Then a 4 hr wait until my follow up appointment so went for lunch at Bella Italia. I really fancied the low carb prawn/ veg spaghetti dish @Rachox had recently but decided against it because of the garlic. Didn’t want to asphyxiate my lovely consultant when I owe him so much!
Had Caesar salad with chicken and pancetta. Approx 10g carbs
Scan all clear. Happy days, 6 more months of jollity.
Battled home on tube, collected Dennis and shared a bottle of Moët in pub garden ( not with Dennis)
Dinner was bunless 5 Guys bacon cheeseburger because I’d got no food in and didn’t intend to cook.
@shelley262 hope all goes well for you tomorrow.
@DCUKMod I like the look of that tandoori recipe, and done in the airfryer is even better.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. It’s been a rollercoaster of a week but all good now. Food wise today just water and black coffee before my scan this morning
Then a 4 hr wait until my follow up appointment so went for lunch at Bella Italia. I really fancied the low carb prawn/ veg spaghetti dish @Rachox had recently but decided against it because of the garlic. Didn’t want to asphyxiate my lovely consultant when I owe him so much!
Had Caesar salad with chicken and pancetta. Approx 10g carbs
Scan all clear. Happy days, 6 more months of jollity.
Battled home on tube, collected Dennis and shared a bottle of Moët in pub garden ( not with Dennis)
Dinner was bunless 5 Guys bacon cheeseburger because I’d got no food in and didn’t intend to cook.
@shelley262 hope all goes well for you tomorrow.
@DCUKMod I like the look of that tandoori recipe, and done in the airfryer is even better.

Fantastic news, on your review DJC. That would fry my mind. You deserved the Moet.

Those thighs we just fab! I just slashed the flesh a bit, put them in the manrinade and refrigerator for a couple of hours. I'm positive that that went into the freezer will be even better, when they come out. When MrB arrived home from his golf match he commented how good they smelled.

The recipe made quite a lot of marinade, so I might trim that back a bit.

For me, it was a real store cupboard dish - always have thighs in cryostorage, and a decent supply of spices, plus Greek yoghurt. Such is my laziness, the garlic and ginger came from jar.

Ahem.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Odd day for food as I attended a photoshoot in London, catching the 7.30 train to London (weight loss, diabetes and body image with two other diabetics, article to be published next month).
So portable breakfast eaten on the train: Greek yoghurt with chopped up strawberries and low carb chocolate granola.
Lunch: various salads laid on with a few hidden sugars we suspect as we all had sugars higher than normal afterwards, dessert was better, berries and cream.
Dinner out in London: pork with summer veggies and red wine jus. Carb killa bar on the train on the way home.