What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday - Bed 7.8 FBG 7.4
B. TAG with ADOC. Totally miserable day weather wise. Boys emerged just before 7am.
L. Nothing - morning and early afternoon occupied amusing and feeding boys stuck indoors due to rain.
Later on went up to station to collect Mum & Dad and return them and boys home.
D. That Sainsbury's Scallop & Prawn Bisque and the Halloumi & Vegetable Kebab. A LC creme brulee.

Thursday - picked the boys up to take to Lunch Club. Bed 6.8 FBG 7.4. Mum & Dad back at work so boys back for the day.
B. TAG with ADOC.
L. Nothing.
D. Took son to Costco. Had made macaroni for the boys and Hubby so had to debate what to make for myself. Went for pork ribs that I rubbed with chimichurri and lettuce, tomato, 1/2 avocado and Helmans. Last LC creme brulee.

I have a day off tomorrow so time to catch up and start prepping for going away. In laws are back from the river cruise and currently in Hastings. So the travels start again before meeting up with them in just over a week.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal am deeply envious of your trip!
And well done @DJC3 :D

Had a chiropractic appt earlier this week, and he kind of confirmed that the grumbling knees I have had for years are arthritis. He did lots of tests, measurements and assessing. Back next week for his treatment plan. Very impressed with him, actually.

So in the meantime, have stocked up on bone broth, and glucosamine and chondroitin, and doing my usual research thing.

So:

B: bone broth
L: bone broth
D: cheesy mince

May have Gouda, later
:D:D:D

Hugs for the arthritis, hope the chiropractor can help

Reactions: gennepher

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast was the remains of last night's chicken with some mayo - doesn't make a good breakfast, but it filled a gap.
Lunch - I'll have to have something because I have to go out (more painting fences in the playpark with some of our challenging children) but can't thinkwhat.
Dinner will be a mushroom omelette - nothing else in and little time by the time I get home to prepare anything else.
I just took a small dose of co-codamol, so I shouldn't really drive but will have to to get to the playpark - only 7 miles away so I should be OK. Won't survive the afternoon without it.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Goonergal am deeply envious of your trip!
And well done @DJC3 :D

Had a chiropractic appt earlier this week, and he kind of confirmed that the grumbling knees I have had for years are arthritis. He did lots of tests, measurements and assessing. Back next week for his treatment plan. Very impressed with him, actually.

So in the meantime, have stocked up on bone broth, and glucosamine and chondroitin, and doing my usual research thing.

So:

B: bone broth
L: bone broth
D: cheesy mince

I asked about taking glucosamine for my arthritis but was told that there is no way I should take it because of the diabetes. So I never did. The arthritis just got worse - may have done anyway - and I assumed that glucosamine was a no no for any of us. Mind you, I do take some medications with sugars in them because I can't cope with artificial sugars - Levothyroxine, for example. There is a warning on the packet about putting up BS levels, but the doctor says take them anyway because there is nol alternative.
May have Gouda, later
:D:D:D

Something went wrong there - I was meant to be replying to a message, not adding to it. Sorry.

Posts merged by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my whole lemon sole for tonight so happy even if poorer.
Breakfast: slice HiLo toast butter, tea x2.
Lunch: wasnt going to bother but yesterday that resulted in raiding the fridge at 4pm so had a few Little Gem leaves, bit cucumber, small tomato and half a pot of egg mayo liberally sprinkled with salt and pepper, was very nice and simple.
Supper: will start the lemon sole on the frying pan and finish in the oven. Lemon butter and tenderstem brocolli for me, chips for OH. Forgot my shopping list this morning tried to remember it but forgot to buy the spinach!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Bits dark chocolate
Cashew nuts
black coffe x3

Eggs and cheese thrown in microwave
cwc

Cups tea and water

3 slices corned beef
Packet (small) pork scratchings

A small sherry (I felt like it!)

Some raspberries from my bush...

Cups tea and water

That’s it

>^..^<

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was the remains of last night's chicken with some mayo - doesn't make a good breakfast, but it filled a gap.
Lunch - I'll have to have something because I have to go out (more painting fences in the playpark with some of our challenging children) but can't thinkwhat.
Dinner will be a mushroom omelette - nothing else in and little time by the time I get home to prepare anything else.
I just took a small dose of co-codamol, so I shouldn't really drive but will have to to get to the playpark - only 7 miles away so I should be OK. Won't survive the afternoon without it.
I am just curious why you think you shouldnt drive after co-codamol? Btw mushroom omelette is one of my favourite things...do you fry the mushrooms in butter before adding the eggs? Yum

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

Viv19

Tea
Weakened and had cwc at 11
Lunch at the Greek restaurant. But some chicken, a smallish salad and tzatziki isn’t very filling. Came home and had yoghurt and berries.
Tea somewhere I had some nuts.
2 slices LC bread with assorted cheese, a little hm green tomato chutney, and now a glass of red.

D

Deleted member 308541

Btw mushroom omelette is one of my favourite things...do you fry the mushrooms in butter before adding the eggs?
When I cook our cheese and mushroom omelettes, I crack the eggs into a container, add the pepper and chilli mix, beat eggs witha fork, add the grated cheese and sliced raw mushrooms, add a spash of olive oil and mix it all together. Then tip it into a hot frypan to cook, the mushrooms cook ok doing it this way.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: bone broth. Goodness it is sustaining stuff!
L: mixed grill. By that i mean that i ate the steak, gammon, pork steak and 1 of the sausages (not sure of gluten content). Gave onion rings and other sausage away. Left the chips, peas, tomatoes and black pudding.
D: cheesenham rollups with cream cheese and pickle in the middle.

May have a second bone broth later.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Day 7 of back on the straight and narrow (mostly).
B. 2 HiLo toast with butter and vegemite. Black tea, black coffee.
L. 2 black bean empanadas, 1 Tuscan bite, small piece of Blacksticks Blue cheese, cucumber, baby plum tomatoes, salad leaves, small sweet pepper, quarter granola square.
Snack. Mixed, salted nuts
D. Courgette and cheddar fritters, green beans, rhubarb stewed with stem ginger, Greek yoghurt.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Annb

Thank you for the headsup about glucosamine.
I had a bit of a rummage today, in order to satisfy my curiosity. ;) I can’t help myself!

Found some interesting info, and thought i would feed back.

Turns out that glucosamine was identified as raising insulin resistance - in animal studies. When further studies were done on humans, the glucosamine was shown not to significantly affect human blood glucose levels, or insulin resistance.
Phew!

These links give a bit more detail. Although I am sure that there is a lot more info and subtlety if i dug deeper...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...ritis/expert-answers/glucosamine/faq-20058151

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/6/1941

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1798503/

I wonder if the person who told you not to take it had only heard about the animal studies?

Sorry for the derailment, folks. I just wanted Ann to see this here, in case it was helpful to her.

Reactions: gennepher and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am just curious why you think you shouldnt drive after co-codamol? Btw mushroom omelette is one of my favourite things...do you fry the mushrooms in butter before adding the eggs? Yum

I shouldn't drive because even a half dose of co-codamol makes me a bit groggy and I might make a mistake. I didn't but I almost went to sleep sitting in my wheelchair in the wind and rain while the rest got on with the painting. My job was to watch people's bags and the pots of paint. I don't think children and pots of paint go well together, but they actually got through a lot of the painting before it was time to leave, and most of it went on the fence with only a little on the painters themselves. Just one more session should see the job done - next Friday I expect.

Yes butter is the only option for frying mushrooms as far as I am concerned, first the mushrooms, then some garlic dropped in, using a garlic press for ease, then 2 eggs poured over the top. Great. Should probably have had some other vegetable with it, but didn't bother.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Annb

Thank you for the headsup about glucosamine.
I had a bit of a rummage today, in order to satisfy my curiosity. ;) I can’t help myself!

Found some interesting info, and thought i would feed back.

Turns out that glucosamine was identified as raising insulin resistance - in animal studies. When further studies were done on humans, the glucosamine was shown not to significantly affect human blood glucose levels, or insulin resistance.
Phew!

These links give a bit more detail. Although I am sure that there is a lot more info and subtlety if i dug deeper...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...ritis/expert-answers/glucosamine/faq-20058151

https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/26/6/1941

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1798503/

I wonder if the person who told you not to take it had only heard about the animal studies?

Sorry for the derailment, folks. I just wanted Ann to see this here, in case it was helpful to her.

The first concern was from my local pharmacist and then repeated by my doctor when I saw her. You may be right, they may only have seen the animal studies. Actually, I'm surprised that the doctor had any opinion about diabetes - none of the doctors in the practice seem to have much of an idea about it and the diabetic clinic staff just toe the old NHS line about eating carbohydrates and increasing medication as time goes on. That's why the information on this forum is so valuable to me - it's the only guidance I can get.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I shouldn't drive because even a half dose of co-codamol makes me a bit groggy and I might make a mistake. I didn't but I almost went to sleep sitting in my wheelchair in the wind and rain while the rest got on with the painting. My job was to watch people's bags and the pots of paint. I don't think children and pots of paint go well together, but they actually got through a lot of the painting before it was time to leave, and most of it went on the fence with only a little on the painters themselves. Just one more session should see the job done - next Friday I expect.

Yes butter is the only option for frying mushrooms as far as I am concerned, first the mushrooms, then some garlic dropped in, using a garlic press for ease, then 2 eggs poured over the top. Great. Should probably have had some other vegetable with it, but didn't bother.
Hey Ann you are inspirational to me what you do for others. I take a dose of codeine every day (on prescription) to regulate bowel issues but it it doesntaffect me in any other way and really helps me a lot, thats why I was interested. Best wishes.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Ann you are inspirational to me what you do for others. I take a dose of codeine every day (on prescription) to regulate bowel issues but it it doesntaffect me in any other way and really helps me a lot, thats why I was interested. Best wishes.

Thanks for your good wishes. I have co-codamol 30/500 gms prescribed at up to 8 tablets a day but I take them as infrequently as possible - usually only half a dose about 3 times a week, but recently I have had to take 2 half doses in a day, which I don't like because it does make me a bit groggy. I think it must be the cold, damp weather we are having here in the Hebrides which makes the aches and pains less bearable than they have been. GP laughed at me when I suggested that this week but didn't comment except to nod when I said my joints were worse than usual and my walking worse. Kind of nodded and shrugged his shoulders - my own fault for not going for surgery when I could have. At least the co-codamol does counterbalance the effects of metformin, so it's not a bad effect. Just slows everything down.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys
Our 44th wedding anniversary today - had a lovely indulgent restful day with no caring, some good food and we booked our next holiday - one just for the two of us for a change.
Breakfast bacon, egg and half slice Hilo bread toasted
Lunch lc seeded crispbreads ( made new batch this AM) mushroom and Camembert omelette followed by 100% choc
Dinner steak, celeriac chips, onions, one tomato and mushroom sauce , also red wine followed by sf jellyand cream.
So excited having booked our holiday - going back to Dubrovnik, we went on short break 7 years ago and was one of my fave places but had at a difficult time in our lives and always planned to go back in happier times.....
Early start tomorrow as picking up youngest sons dog who is coming to stay whilst he and partner go to US.
@Goonergal and @Debandez have a brilliant weekend at real food rocks - love to be there with you but was pre booked to dog sit!