What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All :D

A fab day.
Puppy play class.
The Little One was soooo over-excited to be there. Obviously happy memories from last time.
She was the smallest in the class, and I was a little concerned she might get splatted by a clumsy lab or german shepherd pup.
Oh no.
She had learned her lessons well, last time.
Her Splat Protection Technique - when a clumsy splatterer approached - was to stand between the feet of the nearest human.
Didn’t matter if that human was me, Mr B, or a complete stranger.
Delightful to watch.
She gave everyone a run for their money and thoroughly enjoyed herself.
We just stood back and watched her charm the humans, play social butterfly to the other pups, and make a special friend in the shape of a cockerpoo (who was bigger than her, but obligingly let herself be wrestled to the ground while Jasmine danced on her tummy). Oh, and climb on everyone’s lap in order try to weedle treats. Little madam. :D

B: bone broth
L: cheesy mince
D: out. Chose chicken breast and gouda wrapped in prosciutto. Left all the veg. V small chicken breast! Getting peckish again, now.

Oh how I wish I could have seen her at puppy play class. You must be a very proud mum.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all another full on dog exercise day today! Three long walks but he was still charging around the garden wanting to play when got back - although he’s now crashing out next to me - luckily he’s a great sleeper from about 9 to 7 he hardly shifts. At least it was cool and cloudy today so could do the walking. I had vile cramp for some reason last night and had to walk around to ease pain but thankfully didn’t seem to bother him. I’m going to try a mix of electrolytes this evening to see if they help. Not had cramp for ages and thought I had it cracked with a mix of magnesium and potassium - never take anything for granted!
Breakfast Sunday treat, one slice of Hilo toast, spoon of no added sugar beans, one sausage, one streaky bacon rasher and egg
Lunch celery, nuts, cheese and lc seeded crispbreads followed by 100% choc two small squares
Dinner chicken, green salad, halloumi fries and half a tomato , with white wine spritzer followed by sf jelly a few berries from garden spoon of yoghurt and cream.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Surprising for me OMAD day - doubt I’d manage it if I planned it.
CWC this morning
Mid afternoon lunch of IP 4 minute beef, buttery cabbage, cauliflower cheese and roast veg. Strawberries and clotted cream. 2 small glasses red wine.
Will stick to herbal tea type drinks this evening.
@Goonergal and Dr Snoddy both your food festivals sounds brilliant. Any other weekend you might have bumped into each other walking down Regents canal!
Hugs for the leg problems @maglil55 but at least you are managing to train Mr M in the magic of the IP - hope he is a model pupil.
@SlimLizzy and @Viv19 such hard manual labour will surely have a good effect on both your bg readings.
Got the Sun photographer coming tomorrow morning so Dennis and I have both washed our hair. His looks a lot better than mine I have to say.
Good luck with photos sure it will be enjoyable x

Reactions: DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all another full on dog exercise day today! Three long walks but he was still charging around the garden wanting to play when got back - although he’s now crashing out next to me - luckily he’s a great sleeper from about 9 to 7 he hardly shifts. At least it was cool and cloudy today so could do the walking. I had vile cramp for some reason last night and had to walk around to ease pain but thankfully didn’t seem to bother him. I’m going to try a mix of electrolytes this evening to see if they help. Not had cramp for ages and thought I had it cracked with a mix of magnesium and potassium - never take anything for granted!
Breakfast Sunday treat, one slice of Hilo toast, spoon of no added sugar beans, one sausage, one streaky bacon rasher and egg
Lunch celery, nuts, cheese and lc seeded crispbreads followed by 100% choc two small squares
Dinner chicken, green salad, halloumi fries and half a tomato , with white wine spritzer followed by sf jelly a few berries from garden spoon of yoghurt and cream.
Winner for menu but hug for the cramp

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Winner for the menu and dog walking. Hugs for the cramp.

Reactions: gennepher

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. So much to catch up on. Apologies for the long post.

@shelley262 and @maglil55 happy anniversaries.

@Brunneria the puppy play class sounds fun. Loving the idea of a ‘splat protection technique’

Wonderful weekend at the Real Food Rocks Festival, the report on which will begin with some shameless name dropping. Taxi pulled up on Friday to furious waving by Jen Unwin who then - even better - shared her bag of Awfully Posh Pork crackling with me. Food intake was a Carb Killer bar (my first and last) grabbed on Lancaster station. Just as well I didn’t enjoy it as BG shot up into the 9s. Supplemented by a small bag of peanuts. Dinner was half a roast chicken, a fried egg and grated cheese in a cafe in Ambleside.

Saturday - more name dropping. Nothing like having ones food choices vindicated - Dr David Unwin was seen wandering around eating a pot of cream with a spoon. Very large food intake - bag of delicious lamb crackling (see pic), way way too many low carb brownies and clotted cream (see pic), bunless burger, spit roasted lamb, hog roast (extra crackling) and more brownies. Lovely to see @Debandez again and to meet @rhubarb73 and a few low carb celebs. Bought some hand cured charcuterie, mayonnaise and a few packs of lamb crackling home.

Hog roast was being served in lo-dough wraps (which I declined) and one of the cookery demos featured much discussion of the merits of slow cookers and Instant Pots.

David Unwin’s talk about his animals was one of my highlights - he home produces all his meat.

Today has been a bits and pieces day. Nuts, chocolate and lamb crackling on the train, Nando’s at Euston and some nuts at home.

@Dr Snoddy I’ll be joining you on the straight and narrow tomorrow.
Brilliant post! Just relived the fabulous weekend.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy your photoshoot, @DJC3 .

Today, our dinner was magnificent belly pork, which poor old MrB made whilst dodging in and out of the kitchen, watching The Open.

As part of my "reasoning" for a second IP was we would have muh more flexibility when considering some of the longer cook/ferment/brew dishes. I had never really got into doing yoghurt in the IP before, but thought I'd be a bit more serious about it this time around, with my preference for Greek Yoghurt.

Yesterday I did some with a hint of cocnut milk through it. I then made a second, plain batch, utilising tsome of he strained off whey as the starter. Utterly delicious.

Having strained it (to render it Greek), I had to stir some whey back in, following MrB's enquiry if we should eat it in slices!

IMG_3129.jpg

That's after the extra whey has gone back in; stored in a saved Lidl tub.

MrB has now asked for homemade clotted cream, so I'll give that a whirl later in the week, when the double cream lake needs replenishing. :) .

I'm on chef duty tomorrow, so, whilst I haven't decided what I'll cook yet, I'll be using both pots, if it's the last thing I do.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Curried chook drummies and veggies.
Breakfast: Cheese and mushroom omelette, smokey bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee / tea no additives, water.

Viv19

Surprising for me OMAD day - doubt I’d manage it if I planned it.
CWC this morning
Mid afternoon lunch of IP 4 minute beef, buttery cabbage, cauliflower cheese and roast veg. Strawberries and clotted cream. 2 small glasses red wine.
Will stick to herbal tea type drinks this evening.
@Goonergal and Dr Snoddy both your food festivals sounds brilliant. Any other weekend you might have bumped into each other walking down Regents canal!
Hugs for the leg problems @maglil55 but at least you are managing to train Mr M in the magic of the IP - hope he is a model pupil.
@SlimLizzy and @Viv19 such hard manual labour will surely have a good effect on both your bg readings.
Got the Sun photographer coming tomorrow morning so Dennis and I have both washed our hair. His looks a lot better than mine I have to say.

The mental picture of you and your little buddy comparing your freshly washed hair is perfect. :)). Good luck tomorrow.

Bg this evening is quite high. I washed my hands again and did it again, a bit lower. I did do some rock moving but not as much as I’d planned due to back ache. Obviously watching OH do it clearly didn’t lower my bg.
Today
Tea
Breakfast boiled eggs, toasted LC roll. Cwc
Lunch nuts, yoghurt with berries. Some cheese cubes.
Evening I was bored with food. I found a portion of Bolognese sauce in freezer and turned it into curry. It was good with cauli rice. A glass of white, and cwc. Then a cup of tea. I know, overkill.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy your photoshoot, @DJC3 .

Today, our dinner was magnificent belly pork, which poor old MrB made whilst dodging in and out of the kitchen, watching The Open.

As part of my "reasoning" for a second IP was we would have muh more flexibility when considering some of the longer cook/ferment/brew dishes. I had never really got into doing yoghurt in the IP before, but thought I'd be a bit more serious about it this time around, with my preference for Greek Yoghurt.

Yesterday I did some with a hint of cocnut milk through it. I then made a second, plain batch, utilising tsome of he strained off whey as the starter. Utterly delicious.

Having strained it (to render it Greek), I had to stir some whey back in, following MrB's enquiry if we should eat it in slices!

View attachment 34432

That's after the extra whey has gone back in; stored in a saved Lidl tub.

MrB has now asked for homemade clotted cream, so I'll give that a whirl later in the week, when the double cream lake needs replenishing. :) .

I'm on chef duty tomorrow, so, whilst I haven't decided what I'll cook yet, I'll be using both pots, if it's the last thing I do.

Did you use fresh milk and scald it first? I wondered if using UHT would enable bypassing that step. I always seem to ruin a saucepan heating milk.

Reactions: Viv19

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you use fresh milk and scald it first? I wondered if using UHT would enable bypassing that step. I always seem to ruin a saucepan heating milk.

For these two batches, I used the cold start, UHT method, which is the easiest thing in the world.

I chose to strain mine, to create Greek Yog, so strained it through a large coffee filter (I had bought for something else), in a seive, over a bowl.

I'll do a fresh milk batch next time around, but TBH, it's easy to just grab a carton on UHT from the pantry, rather than potentially rob the day to day milk.

Reactions: DJC3 and Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday turned into a marathon laundry day ending with ironing 11 mens shirts. Food was scrambled eggs on slice HiLo toast for breakfast because I went to bed hungry the night before.
Lunch was a couple of cold rashers left overfrom boys breakfast and a little cheesey coleslaw.
Supper: roasted aubergine, red onion and tomato drizzled with OO and sprinkled with Italian dried herbs. Portion was too large but I was hungry again but no afters. Must remember to sprinkle grated cheese next time.
@DJC3 well done on doing OMAD not sure I could! Soo exciting for you and Dennis and your photoshoot today. Hope its lots of fun.

Viv19

For these two batches, I used the cold start, UHT method, which is the easiest thing in the world.

I chose to strain mine, to create Greek Yog, so strained it through a large coffee filter (I had bought for something else), in a seive, over a bowl.

I'll do a fresh milk batch next time around, but TBH, it's easy to just grab a carton on UHT from the pantry, rather than potentially rob the day to day milk.

I use long life milk for my yoghurt, buying a 12 pack every now and then. I hadn’t realised that I could use the strained off whey as a starter!!

I had started to use the strained off whey in bread making, but then I stopped eating bread ......

I make it all the time so bought a ‘Cuisipro Yoghurt Cheese Maker’ which is basically just a strainer. It has a metal mesh for straining, box to hang it in, and a lid. Washes easily. I think the only drawback in this is that it doesn’t take all of the yoghurt from my jar - just under 1 litre. But then I can use the left over few spoons to make more.

Reactions: gennepher

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All,

Didn’t post yesterday because we had an early night.
Mr B is either coming down with a virulent lurgy or sudden onset hay fever after yesterday’s dog walk.

I’m voting for hay fever.
Hate having ‘colds’ in hot weather!

Anyway,

B: forgot, then had bone broth later
L: ham cheese and cream cheese roll ups with Branson. Think I am in love.
D: lamb steaks, inspired by @dcukmod’s tandoori recipe, only I am out of tandoori spices. So I used a cunning combo of goats milk yog and garlic pickle. Lush. Will definitely do it again.

Have about 3 kg of lamb steaks in the freezer, bagged in individual portions (they were half price). So I just defrosted one bag, opened the bag, dollops in the yog and pickle and smooshed it all together. Next time I will add salt at that stage, rather than when cooking.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use long life milk for my yoghurt, buying a 12 pack every now and then. I hadn’t realised that I could use the strained off whey as a starter!!

I had started to use the strained off whey in bread making, but then I stopped eating bread ......

I make it all the time so bought a ‘Cuisipro Yoghurt Cheese Maker’ which is basically just a strainer. It has a metal mesh for straining, box to hang it in, and a lid. Washes easily. I think the only drawback in this is that it doesn’t take all of the yoghurt from my jar - just under 1 litre. But then I can use the left over few spoons to make more.

To be honest, I only bake rarely these days, so the bread/scones option will be very infrequent. In my search for other uses, I found this article:

https://saladinajar.com/recipes-with-yogurt/18-ways-to-use-whey-a-by-product-of-greek-yogurt/

What I like about the coffee filters is it's just a turn over, the almost cheese-like yoghurt peels away, and throw away the paper. Repeat or rinse the seive.

The filters were bought for clarifying alcohol infusions, but didn't quite work (too much lost in the process), so my rhubarb and ginger gin just stays a little cloudy. My Ginnamon remains legendary (in this hacienda anyway.).

Reactions: Viv19

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The filters were bought for clarifying alcohol infusions, but didn't quite work (too much lost in the process), so my rhubarb and ginger gin just stays a little cloudy. My Ginnamon remains legendary (in this hacienda anyway.).
Thats very interesting about flavoured gin. I was out with a friend on Saturday and peeusing the gin menu she went for an elderflowered gin whereas I was too scared and stuck to my usual dry London gin. I tasted hers and it tasted sweet. My question is do flavoured gins have carbs or does the alcohol process eliminate them.

Reactions: gennepher and Viv19

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ah I’m glad the UHT method worked. Thanks I’ll give it another go I think. Using a coffee filter is a good idea too - wouldn’t have thought of that, how long did it take to strain?
I didn’t know you could use the whey to start the next batch either, good to know.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday turned into a marathon laundry day ending with ironing 11 mens shirts. Food was scrambled eggs on slice HiLo toast for breakfast because I went to bed hungry the night before.
Lunch was a couple of cold rashers left overfrom boys breakfast and a little cheesey coleslaw.
Supper: roasted aubergine, red onion and tomato drizzled with OO and sprinkled with Italian dried herbs. Portion was too large but I was hungry again but no afters. Must remember to sprinkle grated cheese next time.
@DJC3 well done on doing OMAD not sure I could! Soo exciting for you and Dennis and your photoshoot today. Hope its lots of fun.

Tbh I’m terrified! I hate being the centre of attention. I’ve put make up on for the first time in ages, now I look like a clown
Commiserations for the marathon laundry - I hope they appreciate it.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Forgot yesterday’s food.
Tea
Breakfast scrambled eggs, toasted LC roll, a tspn hm black currant jam (made last year with only 1/3 pectin sugar - delicious, tart). Cwc
Lunch LC bread with cheese, yoghurt with berries.
Sometime during the day nuts, cwc
Evening Tried a version of JO recipe. Cod instead of monkfish, rolled up in a ‘similar to’ parma ham. It should have been spread with pureed dried toms in oil, but I used red pesto (made with dried toms), then roasted. Sort of ok, I’ve eaten the real version before and that was better. Had that with some leaves, toms, red onion slices with Parmesan shavings on top.
We’ve been working on the stairs from veranda down to mini deck and garden. Nothing works as it’s supposed to. Part of the frame needs replacing.
The worst job is to stop the evil weeds coming through. They suddenly went mad when we were away. There’s no way of poisoning them, (it’s the kind with running white roots, even a tiny piece of root left will let it survive). Under the veranda and steps is filled with rocks. Our challenge, and it’s only us to do it, is to remove all the rocks, lay a double thickness of black weed suppressing plastic, and put the rocks back. Back breaking work.
Feel for you with those rocks to move hope it does cure the weed problem

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Tbh I’m terrified! I hate being the centre of attention. I’ve put make up on for the first time in ages, now I look like a clown
Commiserations for the marathon laundry - I hope they appreciate it.
Doubt you ever look like a clown. Wrong day but as I have told y'all frequently, I don't wear makeup on Thursday. No makeup for Dennis? BTW, how many carbs in makeup?

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3